• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

Yeah I think you're right in that specific scenario, but going from just the video (didnt watch it full screen) and also from my own experience emulating games I really don't mind a pixelated look all that much. There are limits, but as long as the picture conveys what's going on well, I'm fine, really. That's personal more than anything else. I'm not saying the crt approach is bad though.
Mhm, it's definitely a "to each their own" thing. The raw graphics output look detracts too much for me, but I am very aware that I am probably in the minority here and that more people would rather have a sharper look. In that case though, I'd generally recommend something like the Moguri mod over the pixelated look.

If you look on the left and focus on the wall above her head to the right, it's just a block of color that likely wasn't meant to be a bland block of color because the original source was so low of resolution and a CRT would be softer and interlaced, so there was no need for so much detail in that spot, but once you render it at HD resolutions, it stands out in a bad way. There's also pixelation everywhere, and worse, there's even compression artifacts all over that the filtering/shaders/scanlines will otherwise hide. Moguri does fix a lot of this, though.

(Credit to the earlier video posted, as I used VSR to take 4K screenshots so you can see how it looks whether you view in 4K or not, but you'll still want to ensure you're viewing these full size though).

You definitely get a duller image with scanlines especially... but some methods won't be as aggressive on the scanlines and won't dull it as bad as the example here will.

Some more examples.

I can accept a pixelated look sometimes, even if the original "didn't look that way" (the pixel remasters of I through VI come to mind), but in some games, like of this, it's way too off for me.

And yes, looking at the videos in full screen and forced to full video detail can matter a lot here. I found this out quickly when doing my retrospective for Final Fantasy IX when I noticed how videos, especially ones that involve line patterns, can really result in a poor look below full quality, and perhaps at a different resolution to a degree.

By the way, I'm not intending to argue our difference of opinion here so I hope I'm not coming off that way. I'm just pretty passionate about it, haha, and explaining some of the things that are important to me when preserving the looks. Hopefully that remakes comes and we can have a version that's made for today's hardware and resolutions. (I'm not going to stop dreaming, darn it!)
Nobody on SH2 right now ?
I played for an hour or two earlier and will play more later, as I'll be running errands soon. I really, really like it so far.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50, GPU with custom loop
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage A pack of SSDs totaling 3.2TB + 3TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" 4K120 IPS + 32" 4K60 IPS + 24" 1080p144
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless / Corsair HS35
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Started playing D4 Vessel of Hatred later today with the new class.
Kinda reminds me of the Monk from D3 with some extra flavors which is nice for me since I've used to main a Monk for a long time.:)
D4Spiritborn1.jpg

Gonna take my time with the new story and play that first ofc but I can already notice some of the changes to the core game. 'difficulty system was heavily changed with a significant stat squish on everything'

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
Since the new Update Le Mans ultimate has been insanely good.
Yes! I have been playing it non stop. For people like me who don't have a lot of time, and love endurance racing. I just start an endurance race against AI, I know that all I have to do is one stint and I can save and play another stint tomorrow and finish a race over time. I used to do a lot of endurance racing on iRacing so that's my type of fun. AI is great, they do different fuel and tire strategies so if you set AI to a realistically difficult strength for your pace, you can end up battling for the win and maybe come down to saving more fuel and doing one less pit stop, etc. I am absolutely loving this game now.

System Name Current
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite
Cooling Full Waterloop
Memory 32Gb DDR4 3600 (4x8Gb)
Video Card(s) MSI RX6800XT Gaming X Trio 16Gb
Storage 2x SN850 1Tb & 1x Netac NV7000 2TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG32V
Case NZXT H9 Flow
Audio Device(s) Dali Zensor 1 Speakers and Tangent Ampster BT II
Power Supply NZXT C850
Mouse G502 SE
Keyboard Currently: Monsgeek M1
Software Windows 11 64 Pro
Played the Starfield DLC recently (didnt cost me anything to get it), its not great, honestly does not feel like a DLC at all, just a mid story and some pretty lousy guns. I would recommend to not bother getting it.

Mhm, it's definitely a "to each their own" thing. The raw graphics output look detracts too much for me, but I am very aware that I am probably in the minority here and that more people would rather have a sharper look. In that case though, I'd generally recommend something like the Moguri mod over the pixelated look.

If you look on the left and focus on the wall above her head to the right, it's just a block of color that likely wasn't meant to be a bland block of color because the original source was so low of resolution and a CRT would be softer and interlaced, so there was no need for so much detail in that spot, but once you render it at HD resolutions, it stands out in a bad way. There's also pixelation everywhere, and worse, there's even compression artifacts all over that the filtering/shaders/scanlines will otherwise hide. Moguri does fix a lot of this, though.

(Credit to the earlier video posted, as I used VSR to take 4K screenshots so you can see how it looks whether you view in 4K or not, but you'll still want to ensure you're viewing these full size though).

You definitely get a duller image with scanlines especially... but some methods won't be as aggressive on the scanlines and won't dull it as bad as the example here will.

Some more examples.

I can accept a pixelated look sometimes, even if the original "didn't look that way" (the pixel remasters of I through VI come to mind), but in some games, like of this, it's way too off for me.

And yes, looking at the videos in full screen and forced to full video detail can matter a lot here. I found this out quickly when doing my retrospective for Final Fantasy IX when I noticed how videos, especially ones that involve line patterns, can really result in a poor look below full quality, and perhaps at a different resolution to a degree.

By the way, I'm not intending to argue our difference of opinion here so I hope I'm not coming off that way. I'm just pretty passionate about it, haha, and explaining some of the things that are important to me when preserving the looks. Hopefully that remakes comes and we can have a version that's made for today's hardware and resolutions. (I'm not going to stop dreaming, darn it!)

I played for an hour or two earlier and will play more later, as I'll be running errands soon. I really, really like it so far.
The "Comsumer-1 Mode+ Softfilter Is the one I like best. It's just a much warmer and natural look to me.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
I should watch at a "real" CRT render on a real TV ...
I don't rembember the scanlines was so visible ... back then

I should watch at a "real" CRT render on a real TV ...
You're remembering correctly; they weren't so visible on CRTs.

Part of the issue is that is that CRTs were interlaced instead of progressive. They actually did render like that where every other line was omitted, but they did so in an alternating method every other frame that happened fast enough that your eyes didn't clearly see the empty space. The led to a slightly less "stationary consistent" image (for real lack of better words), as well as one that was softer. CRTs were also resolution flexible, and often dealt with source consoles feeding them low resolution images.

How do you mimic this on HD, progressive displays? You truly can't, so no method will be exactly as we remember CRTs. It's precisely why I said you need a CRT to truly get the original look. But the scanlines are a part of doing our best to mimic the look (if you're wondering why not have the scanlines alternate, that would probably be too awkward and visually identifiable due to the differences in how LCDs and CRTs inherently work). The scanlines in the example I gave here are definitely a bit aggressive/exaggerated though.
The "Comsumer-1 Mode+ Softfilter Is the one I like best. It's just a much warmer and natural look to me.
Precisely why I liked it.

You wouldn't happen to know if there was a certain TV that was mimicking, would you? Or is it just a custom, creative filter?

I'm aware of the difference between the shadow mask and aperture grille ("Trinitron") types of CRTs, and I've never seen that from either type. Maybe something extra in the glass of a certain TV in particular had it give an image like that?

Nobody on SH2 right now ?
By no means am I far enough to make a broad review, but since I played another two sessions since my first one, I feel like I'd come back to this with some more thoughts of what little I've seen.

The streets of Silent Hill look, and more importantly, feel fantastic. It's eerie, it's unsettling, it's moody, and I love it. The way the fog rolls over everything, the way the creatures weave just in and out of vision along the edge, it's all so perfect. It's ironic that the fog was originally a way to deal with the limited render distance of the PlayStation, and here it is looking fancy (and probably cutting into performance, haha) and being something I love.

I've found a few routes that appear like they would give you a choice in how you approach something, perhaps to either avoid an encounter, risk another one for an item reward, or to reach a destination/enemy from another angle. Don't mistake it for an open world, of course, but some of the environment set pieces (like extra businesses and back entrances) are nice. Most, of course, are blocked off.

The combat (disclaimer, I've only dealt with the first melee weapon and a couple of enemy types, so no firearm or boss encounters yet) seems pretty basic, but for me, that's a good thing. Combat was never a strong part of the Silent Hill titles, and in many of the older ones, it was actually borderline bad. So to say it's simple, but works well, and isn't a complicated mess for a game that doesn't need a complicated mess of a combat system, was very welcome.

The pleasant surprise is that repeatedly stomping/bashing in enemies does not leave them stun locked or hopeless! They can and will interrupt between your strikes with a strike of their own, or to spit something at you. I think (?) you can avoid it with some recognition of when it might come, but I'm still pretty inexperienced with the combat and learning that. I've just noticed so far that getting the first hit in doesn't always equal beating it to death while it's stun-locked, so while the combat is simple... it's not simple in that way.

You can hear James' struggle/desperation when he attacks.

The one thing I don't like is that James will automatically ready a weapon if something is nearby, even if you can't see it (maybe the radio alerts him though?). This gave me the advantage of being ready for something that I didn't yet notice. This is a small "I'd like it to be harder on myself if I could" nitpick and not a real issue, however, but hey, I'm listing some first impressions and that's one of them. My qualms so far are only with really minor stuff.

I unfortunately can't speak for how faithful it is because while I definitely remember most of the major story beats, I never played through the original myself. Instead I watched a friend play a lot of it. I did play through 3, 4, and Homecoming completely though so I have experience with most of the early series. Based on that, this remake definitely gets the setting and overall feel right for me, but I can't speak for accuracy. From what I've heard most fans say, the story and characters (visuals aside) are left largely unchanged, but the environments are expanded and changed a bit.

As long as the rest of the game (namely, firearms and boss fights) aren't a big detraction for me, I'll probably love the rest of the game.

As always, I'm one single person, so others' opinions may vary.

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to know if there was a certain TV that was mimicking, would you? Or is it just a custom, creative filter?
If i had to guess, I'd say they were trying to mimic the Sony Trinitron screens. The mask and dot pitch looks about right, but a little more defined. Those screens where something Sony got VERY right. They were sharp without being TOO sharp and they looked amazing BITD.

I'm aware of the difference between the shadow mask and aperture grille ("Trinitron") types of CRTs, and I've never seen that from either type. Maybe something extra in the glass of a certain TV in particular had it give an image like that?
You actually got in one with that guess. However, this filter is much more refined and really looks cleaner than the actual screens ever did.

They weren't. Most filters over-exaggerate the effect and as such it looks like crap.

I think we might be straying from the topic, so I digress..

I had an aperture grille (which is what made the Trinitrons what they were) but I don't believe it looked quite like that. I had a higher resolution PC monitor and not a TV though, so I never saw an actual Trinitron TV in person.

Count von Schwalbe

Staff member
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Tried to get into Civ 6 again. Still has a terrible tutorial regarding resource management. I will go back to something simple, like modded Rimworld.

System Name Merc v8| Project DRS
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D|5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX|B550 AORUS ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15|Arctic LFII-360
Memory 2x 16GB-6000|2x16GB-3600
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070 Ti SUPER|RTX 3070 Ventus
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB & 2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB|2x1TB SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU|LG 34GP950G
Case Caselabs Mercury S8|Phanteks G500A
Audio Device(s) Schiit Magni & Modi, Edifier S351DB|DT 770 PRO headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex PX-850|Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker F75|Logitech K400
Software W11Pro
Playing Star Trek Resurgence (Demo) which is made by ex-Telltale people. "Your actions matter" <evil grin>
It feels just like any Telltale game (the only one I liked was The Wolf Among Us) and thus the pacing is slow.
Reviews are very positive though so I might just try it.

Pretty pumped to see some F.E.A.R. love on here.

Played the crap out of these years ago. And TBH, they didn't age terribly and still look decent enough at higher resolutions to be enjoyable.
GOG for all 3 is the ticket!

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Halls of Torment got a big update recently... clearing new quests.

System Name Obliterator
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x PBO
Motherboard ASRock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 G2 LBC
Memory G.skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000@CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock rx7900 GRE Steel Legend
Storage 2 x 2TB Samsung 990 pro nmve ssd 2 X 4TB Samsung 870 evo sata ssd 1 X 18TB WD Gold sata hdd
Display(s) LG 27GN750-B
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) Klipsch promedia heritage 2.1
Power Supply FSP Hydro TI 1000w
Mouse SteelSeries Prime+
Keyboard Lenovo SK-8825 (L)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 21H2 / Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 24H2 with multiple flavors of VM
System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw wireless
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Dakar Desert Rally, which I think I got free on Epic, is a great looking game and a lot of fun, if only the keyboard steering wasn't so sensitive. It's all over the place, but I'll persevere with the settings :)
Dakar Desert Rally_2024.10.10-15.23.jpg

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Dakar Desert Rally, which I think I got free on Epic, is a great looking game and a lot of fun, if only the keyboard steering wasn't so sensitive. It's all over the place, but I'll persevere with the settings :)
View attachment 367013
That Game looks great but controls like a potato.