• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Whats your favourite Linux Distro?

That is what I thought, but Steams OS site still says that it is based on Debian.

So, what is SteamOS?

SteamOS is a public release of our Linux-based operating system. The base system draws from Debian 8, code named Debian Jessie. Our work builds on top of the solid Debian core and optimizes it for a living room experience. Most of all, it is an open Linux platform that leaves you in full control. You can take charge of your system and install new software or content as you want.

I think they need to update the page information and the download version currently is 3.5.7.
They moved to the Arch based version with the release of the Steam Deck. That version isn't available for download so far.

The original Debian based version was for the co-branded machines they released 10 or so years ago.

@SchumannFrequency thanks for the acknowledge here, I have setup my different uses for linux, fileservers, ovpn server (CentOS, Ubuntu, RaspOS and such) heck even had some of them running as a router but not much anymore we changed to opnsense which is just easier to administrate because in the end customers pay and I am not a big network guru. (I can do switches, cables and basic setup from experience but I am not educated no degree on my life sadly).

All the linux I done I can thank my boss for he is a big on linux it's frustrating from time to time since I am more Windows but it doesn't hurt with linux.
But with the way MS is going with Windows and the release of the Steamdeck well Linux is becoming more of a subject to discus than in the past for me.

I do not really talk about Linux but after trying Arch and I enjoyed it, I think about it and if I should go Linux but properly not for my personal server because I want it to be what I know and been running Windows for over 20years now.

I am late into Linux yes, I read about unraid and docker, specially a docker sounds interesting but the reason is I do not want do a lot of tinkering on my server this is why I rather change my Plex to Jellyfin to get the hw encoding than buying a pass for Windows because I am lazy :laugh:

What about pfSense though that is FreeBSD so Unix-like I think? I don't really know how exactly how they compare and key differences though pfSense is intended to be a hardware while unraid is maybe more aimed at just network storage, but not necessarily traffic filtering!!? There is probably some advantages to having both technically, but probably not really worth it for most. I'm too tied down to Windows software to really switch over to Linux as a primary PC setup though as a spare secondary PC not so much lots of reason to consider Linux or BSD in general.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
That is what I thought, but Steams OS site still says that it is based on Debian.

So, what is SteamOS?

SteamOS is a public release of our Linux-based operating system. The base system draws from Debian 8, code named Debian Jessie. Our work builds on top of the solid Debian core and optimizes it for a living room experience. Most of all, it is an open Linux platform that leaves you in full control. You can take charge of your system and install new software or content as you want.

I think they need to update the page information and the download version currently is 3.5.7.
Does anybody here have any experience with this? Is it any good?

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
They moved to the Arch based version with the release of the Steam Deck. That version isn't available for download so far.

The original Debian based version was for the co-branded machines they released 10 or so years ago.
chimeraOS is about as close as you get to the Steam Deck feel. If you're gaming first and foremost, then it's an easy start. I tried it, and it was really easy to get going. Gaming is a secondary function of my rig, so it's not a DD for me.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
What about pfSense though that is FreeBSD so Unix-like I think? I don't really know how exactly how they compare and key differences though pfSense is intended to be a hardware while unraid is maybe more aimed at just network storage, but not necessarily traffic filtering!!? There is probably some advantages to having both technically, but probably not really worth it for most. I'm too tied down to Windows software to really switch over to Linux as a primary PC setup though as a spare secondary PC not so much lots of reason to consider Linux or BSD in general.
It is, I also much prefer opnsense to pfsense. Pfsense general scumbagery aside I much prefer the newer UI.

Shou Miko is not new to it, he says he has been working with CentOS, Raspberry and Ubuntu for at least 11 years.
For someone with a basic knowledge of Linux, what is the advantage of Ubuntu over Devuan? You can say that Ubuntu is easier to configure, which saves you time.
But that time gain is only during the first few days of installing and configuring the system.
Usually after a few days you achieve a configuration that requires little maintenance, this is also the case for Devuan.
But from that moment on, Devuan has the advantage that the operating system boots almost twice as fast as Ubuntu every time. (OpenRC)
OpenRC is also more reliable (fewer bugs) than systemd from Ubuntu. You have a less reliable system with Ubuntu.
In the long run, Ubuntu will waste more time than Devuan if you boot the system frequently.
Ubuntu also has more bloatware than Devuan. Ultimately, I don't see any benefit to Ubuntu.

What is the rating of Ubuntu and Devuan on DistroWatch?

Im glad some of the people here like Linux as someone who has also literally used it forever though I guess I’m just done my distro hopping phase. I don’t chase the next big thing so I have no need to jump on super unstable distros led by like 3 people and no documentation because they use a sick default wall paper.

You’re generally a big proponent for Linux which is great but you have blinders on sometimes. Recommending difficulty for the sake of it hurts this industry imo and while it doesn’t apply in Shiros case if they have used Linux for awhile it’s something you should probably be aware of.

Last edited:
System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
steamOS on steam deck is amazing 10/10

on the 10 yr old one when they tried steam machines, pretty sure those flopped for a lot of reasons, but the software wasn't there yet
How about on PC? Is it any better for gaming than for example, Ubuntu or Mint?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
How about on PC? Is it any better for gaming than for example, Ubuntu or Mint?

to my knowledge SteamOS can't be installed on desktop yet, you can try, but it just won't work yet. it's coming in the future though Valve said.

ChimeraOS is very similar as mentioned a few posts up.

Im glad some of the people here like Linux as someone who has also literally used it forever though I guess I’m just done my distro hopping phase. I don’t chase the next big thing so I have no need to jump on super unstable distros led by like 3 people and no documentation because they use a sick default wall paper.

Clear Linux --> the Intel open source team can be larger than the number of Ubuntu (Canonical) devs
PCLinuxOS --> maybe the most reliable rolling release distro
Calculate Linux --> more reliable than Arch Linux (and Gentoo has many competent packagers)
Void Linux (glibc) --> very reliable system and competent devs
ALT (stable branch) --> more stability than Ubuntu and more competent devs
Devuan --> it's more stable than Debian, it's better than Ubuntu in terms of stability
OpenRC is a pretty active project, they have 155 contributors on github.
Alpine Linux --> they used to patch issues before Ubuntu in the past, they have (very) competent devs because they are used by Docker

user-friendliness
Clear Linux --> 10/10 (easiest installer in the Linux world)
PCLinuxOS --> 8.5/10
Calculate Linux --> 8.5/10
Void Linux (glibc) --> 7.5/10
ALT KWorkstation 10 --> 9/10
Devuan (testing branch) --> 7.8/10
Alpine Linux --> 8/10

Often only the installation of these systems is a bit more difficult. I've noticed that many packages are easier to install in FreeBSD/OpenBSD than Ubuntu.
It is also a fact that the firewall of BSD systems (PF) has easier syntax and is easier to configure than any Linux firewall.

Ease of use is a complex concept because an operating system has many aspects.

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30 360Hz
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) Razer Blackshark v2 Hyperspeed / Bowers & Wilkins Px7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2 / Fedora w. KDE
IMG_2091.jpeg

That is confusing.....are they Arch or Debian based?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
View attachment 352456

That is confusing.....are they Arch or Debian based?

1719156123575.png

Didnt seem very confusing to me. Its all arch now. They stopped debian when they stopped making those little boxes. Though proton (which they make so you can play games) is agnostic in the sense that its bundled with there client. Arch is just what they chose to use on there hardware.

Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Power Supply HX1500i
View attachment 352466

Didnt seem very confusing to me. Its all arch now. They stopped debian when they stopped making those little boxes. Though proton (which they make so you can play games) is agnostic in the sense that its bundled with there client. Arch is just what they chose to use on there hardware.
Valve own website says this:

Attachments

• IMG_2092.png
    IMG_2092.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Valve own website says this:

Thats super old, Debian 8 isnt even a thing anymore. We are on 12 now and Debian is a slowww cook cycle. Debian 8 was released in 2015.

If you go to there site on a PC you can even see this. All of there links bring you to the deck recovery images. Even the one that says

"NOTE: This image is not compatible with Steam Deck. If you are looking for the Steam Deck Recovery image, visit"

But the links are:

for the "non-deck" version.

It even still says "Unzip the SteamOS.zip file to a blank, FAT32-formatted USB stick."

But the file is literally: steamdeck-repair-latest.img.bz2

For the deck version is still obviously links you to the deck recovery specific page.

which points you to the same file:

The debian builds are no more.

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Yeah, SteamOS was Debian, now it's Arch. That's pretty apparent to me, since I have way better success running games on Proton in Manjaro (Arch) vs Ubuntu (Debian). So far, running Manjaro has been a pretty dull experience, which is just how I like my OSes these days.

Yeah, SteamOS was Debian, now it's Arch. That's pretty apparent to me, since I have way better success running games on Proton in Manjaro (Arch) vs Ubuntu (Debian). So far, running Manjaro has been a pretty dull experience, which is just how I like my OSes these days.
I would guess that the problems in Ubuntu you experienced were probably related to their proprietary Snap version of Steam. I had been running 24.04 until recently without any issues, but I downloaded and installed Steam direct (via the .deb from store.steampowered.com).

System Name D35K-TP
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory G.Skill Aegis 3000MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6700XT
Storage HP EX900 250GB, ADATA SU800 128GB, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) Innocn 40C1R, Samsung S22E390
Case Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Power Supply Corsair VS550
Whats your favourite Linux Distro?
My favourite Linux distro is Solus. I love it a lot & have been using it as a daily driver on me laptop since 2019. Despite some of the issues it had last year with the staff, they have rectified everything & since then the distro has been better than ever; regular updates more than once a week, solid snappy performance thanks to some Clear Linux code & despite the somewhat limited amount of packages in the repo, it has everything I need, covers my needs perfectly & never let me down with an update. It stopped my distrohopping after I tried around 20 distros & I didn't need to look elsewhere since then

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I would guess that the problems in Ubuntu you experienced were probably related to their proprietary Snap version of Steam. I had been running 24.04 until recently without any issues, but I downloaded and installed Steam direct (via the .deb from store.steampowered.com).

I am going to take note of this. I plan to try manjaro and ubuntu in a week or two, want to see if I can get FFXIV Dawntrail running through Lutris. if its too complicated i am going back to windows, but we will see.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
My favourite Linux distro is Solus. I love it a lot & have been using it as a daily driver on me laptop since 2019. Despite some of the issues it had last year with the staff, they have rectified everything & since then the distro has been better than ever; regular updates more than once a week, solid snappy performance thanks to some Clear Linux code & despite the somewhat limited amount of packages in the repo, it has everything I need, covers my needs perfectly & never let me down with an update. It stopped my distrohopping after I tried around 20 distros & I didn't need to look elsewhere since then

Man I love the budgie desktop. The budgie version of ubuntu is my favorite flavor of it.

I am going to take note of this. I plan to try manjaro and ubuntu in a week or two, want to see if I can get FFXIV Dawntrail running through Lutris. if its too complicated i am going back to windows, but we will see.

I will be honest, I dont use lutris at all. It was so hard for me to contextually use it. All of you must be gods. XIV works fine though.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Man I love the budgie desktop. The budgie version of ubuntu is my favorite flavor of it.

I will be honest, I dont use lutris at all. It was so hard for me to contextually use it. All of you must be gods. XIV works fine though.

FFXIV has two options, steam native if you bought the game on steam, and then original client (which is what I have)

i don't even know where to begin to download the original client for linux since its windows only download on the website, i wish i had bought the game on steam, but its too late and im not rebuying all the games. steam it works easy on linux i hear, as simple as click play.

i know you already know all of this, but I am guessing you have the steam store version of FFXIV?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
FFXIV has two options, steam native if you bought the game on steam, and then original client (which is what I have)

i don't even know where to begin to download the original client for linux since its windows only download on the website, i wish i had bought the game on steam, but its too late and im not rebuying all the games. steam it works easy on linux i here, as simple as click play.

i know you already know all of this, but I am guessing you have the steam store version of FFXIV?

No I have been playing longer than the steam version has existed. I use the normal launcher.

System Name Specs Last Update: 8/April/2024
Processor Intel Core i5 9400f 2.9GHz/4.0 Turbo (NoOC)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370M D3H rev. 1.0
Cooling be quite! Dark Rock Slim 180W TDP (The Silent Wings 3 120mm Fan)
Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Storage Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | Cold Backup: WDC Black 930 GiB WD1003FZEX
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair 850W RMi
Mouse Logitech M187 wireless (First day of use 30-9-2021)
Keyboard Logitech K270 wireless
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC 2021 / Linux: Candidates: Bazzite - Linux MX - Tuxedo - Kubuntu
Linux Fedora and Nobara are my favourite.
That is right. Heroic Launcher is the actual friendly app but somehow many still recommend Lutris instead of Heroic for everyone which is only better than Heroic if you are a power user who studied and memorized hundreds of pages for Lutris parameters arguments and commands. If I can recall how many, they are around 400 pages.

Recent versions of Heroic Launcher implemented winetricks which are mostly picked scripts and configs for certain games that refuses to work with vanilla wine.
It doesn't hurt to have both in case one failed to run a game for some reason. There is also Bottles, which sits between Lutris and Heroic friendliness-wise.

Processor Intel® Core™ i9-12900K
Motherboard Z690 GAMING X DDR4
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror
Memory 32GB Team Group T-Create Xpert @3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC
Storage TEAM_TM8FP6512G_V1.6.C1/KINGSTON_SA400S361K1/T-FORCE_512GB
Display(s) ASUS VG279Q 144Hz
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) S.M.S.L. Sanskrit MKII V2 DAC + Mackie CR3
Power Supply ROG-STRIX-1000G
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Sentey Ghost Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 23H2
Manjaro
Fedora
Linux Mint

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Linux Fedora and Nobara are my favourite.

That is right. Heroic Launcher is the actual friendly app but somehow many still recommend Lutris instead of Heroic for everyone which is only better than Heroic if you are a power user who studied and memorized hundreds of pages for Lutris parameters arguments and commands. If I can recall how many, they are around 400 pages.

Recent versions of Heroic Launcher implemented winetricks which are mostly picked scripts and configs for certain games that refuses to work with vanilla wine.
It doesn't hurt to have both in case one failed to run a game for some reason. There is also Bottles, which sits between Lutris and Heroic friendliness-wise.

I thought Heroic Launcher only was for Epic Games Store and GoG, how will it help me with FFXIV original windows client?

Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Power Supply HX1500i
Found this on Twitter, made me laugh so hard :D

IMG_2098.jpeg

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Linux Mint 22 Cinnamon should be out within a month or two... I will probably switch over to that, or at least dual boot it and spend vast majority of my time there. I just hope it supports my laptop camera, cause I just need Zoom for work sometimes.

Probably will be my favorite.