• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's your latest tech purchase?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: RX-7878
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling AM5 Contact Frame + Thermalright PS120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT Gaming OC 16GB
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Installed HWmonitor. Noticing that SSDs get a little hot when moving big files around as well as when idling. Shoddy MSI heatsinks as result of purchasing the lowest tier X670E board.

View attachment 362862

Worst offenders being the ones sitting under the GPU which isnt really surprising.

View attachment 362866

There are two SSDs underneath that heatsink. I dont think one of them is making contact with the provided thermal pad properly. Ive seen it hit 95'c in Hwmonitor when moving game related installation files from one SSD to another.

The 'Tall boy' heatsink 2.2CM heatsink is for the boot drive. Ive still got a spare old EK one that i could use aswell.

::EDIT::

To add context. This is how it looks. The 2TB drives are placed together under one heatsink but you can tell which one has contact and which doesnt

View attachment 362919

I mean my 1TB boot drive I can probably ignore. Temps are more than fine (This is with HWmon running ALL DAY).

The WDC WD512G1X0C-00ENX0 is an old WD Black drive which is a Gen 3 carry over the old machine. I could probably ignore this one too (temperature wise) but I'll put the EK one on as the EK is just sitting here. This 512 is more of a dump drive for things like compressed zip files where I dont want to eat up the endurance of my main drives but dont want to wait forever for zipped files to be read or unzipped like they would on my spinney drives. Yes, I could sacrifice a cheaper QLC drive for this task but since its here I might aswell use it.

::EDIT II::

I actually need to get this PC out on a bench to finish things up anyway. I still have cable management to finish up and making a few adjustments here and there that ive noticed since enjoying the build for a while. Going to unplug the 120mm corsair fan from the aux fan port on the 7800XT and plug it into a motherboard header in the hopes that it gets more airflow over the SSDs.

Since i had the machine out on the bench diagnosing the no power on issue. I went ahead and put some heatsinks on the SSDs. Unfortunately I couldnt get the two in the middle to play nice due to the screws being on either side (The Eluteng one) of the heatsink and they sat too close together to be installed at the same time. I replaced the heatsink on the 512 with the old EK one and it added extra thermal pads to the other SSDs because it was clear to me that the MSI ones werent making contact with the SSD.

Didnt bother changing the heatsink on the 1TB either, Just added extra pads (Arctic TP-3 pads)

1726336799360.png

I think one of the drives will always run a little hotter but its not hitting 95'c as it was previously.