• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices [USB Supported]

HumourMe2

1: Double click install. 2: Edit the .reg files in /SETUP/ to setup the each output.

To setup the .reg files (which are read-only and will ask you to save them), open FX Configurator, and select the output you want, HDMI in my case, then copy its ID.
Paste the ID replacing {DEVICE-ID} on both lines, then save it, give it name. You will need to repeat this step each time a new driver is installed.
Thanks for enabling these. I'm trying to follow the instructions and get stuck here. I've assumed that the device ID stays within the {} or are the {}'s dropped? Once the reg files are saved do you import them into FX Configurator or just double click them? I know I should do something with them, however, it isn't clear to me what!

I don't support this package much these days so I apologize, but yes here is a resulting image (then simply double click), or use FX to open regedit then import.
Note that FX Config is using trusted installer, which is like a different account, so when navigating to files use drives directly.

Roundup.png

HumourMe2

I don't support this package much these days so I apologize, but yes here is a resulting image (then simply double click), or use FX to open regedit then import.
Note that FX Config is using trusted installer, which is like a different account, so when navigating to files use drives directly.

View attachment 288901
I think I'm beginning to understand my own hardware and goals. I'm aiming to use HDMI to encode PCM to DTS while leaving the encoded Dolby alone. My goal is approximate volume normalisation from different sources and possibly tweaking conversational vocals. One of your other posts has revealed to me that HDMI is HDAUDIO and that even though I have an ALC4080 USB Audio for headphones and SPDIF the latter two are a parallel audio system. For me this was a major leap in understanding of what to look for and explains a lot of blind alleys I've been stumbling into. Thanks again!

HDMI is indeed HDAUDIO, and the same for any SPDIF not attached to USB.

1679593763334.png
1679593787907.png

Fun fact, a GPU can also have an optical out port, 15 channels.

Last edited:
It would fix quite a lot of issues, especially with EDID and failing to detect formats.

Given the right standard IEC 60958-5:2021, the current consumer standard 15 channel SPDIF and 15 channel programmable SPDIF transmitter, it can be done easily.
GPU's (especially with HDMI 2.0+) can do 1536k total sample aggregates (HDA's max), which is 8 x 192k = 1536k, 15 x 96k = 1440k.

If we stick with the tick box system, and update Windows, we can add the formats needed to SPDIF, although globally (shows on all SPDIF devices).
Unfortunately HDA can't support 15 x 192k, as its too much bitrate and total samples, 15 x 192k = 2880k, ~70 mbps.

Windows also needs to support more than 8 channels for PCM output, try and set more than 8 speakers using Windows config.

The bonus, optical beats conductive copper any day, and no need for power based signals, SPDIF is the digital daddy.

A test receiver will need 2x 8 channel DAC's (for testing) in parallel, with channel routing. Test config, 7.1 + all heighted (except LFE which can be cloned).

----

Some future tech:

P-HDA.png

----

Please note that a DMAS does not make DTS-Dolby redundant, instead more into PCM processors at the DSP point (external main unit, not software).
The compressed formats can-are used to bypass channel restrictions (such as Windows, 8 channel) and reduced bandwidth.

You can image the main unit of the DMAS as a PCM processor, with-without DTS-Dolby-Other PCM enhancements.
32 bit float should make volume management at the PCM level (without amp) more doable.

Note that while compressed audio formats decode to PCM, they passthrough PCM processors (not in PCM form, inside a container), until decoded.
Since the main unit is working at the input level (PCM), formats can be decoded as normal, then continue to processing as PCM.

Attachments

• 1679674459087.png
    1679674459087.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 64
  • Full Rate.png
    Full Rate.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Digital Managed Audio System.png
    Digital Managed Audio System.png
    10 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Note, you should be able to manually update the package by updating the files manually, then installing. You can update the preset files directly to: 'C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x'.
You may also be able to replace the preset files before installing, but I cant remember. You can use my DTS DCH package as the source for files.

1681469448621.png Moved Keys.png

Updated files, you can update manually as above after this date, simply delete-replace the files, install.

Package updated, last one I am doing, simply replace the files (in the two folders) as mentioned above, then install.
If you are adding DTS to a plain Realtek driver, you can use 'DTS Settings' to setup the devices.

Note: The package is built for HDAUDIO, not USB based devices.

Last edited:
Reminder, if the app works but nothing happens, your device works slightly differently, you will need to use the [OEM - Laptop] files (updated - signed), replace them then install.
If your using my main driver (DTS DCH), stop all audio services before trying the replace the files, else the files will be in use.

C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x

===

Also to save on confusion, this package is signed, the only reason you see disable driver signing in post 1 is because you edited a signed .inf file.
Most (nearly all) of you wont need to edit the .inf file, however I have not added all known vendors, just a few.

----

If you need help with editing the signed .inf file to add a vendor (example Creative) to the file, simply ask.
First provide a screenshot of 'System Information' with the sound device highlighted.

Example.png

Last edited:
File installer updated. If you want to uninstall this pack:

1. Stop the DTS and Windows audio services via Task Manager, then delete: C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x\.
2. Open Regedit and find and delete: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\.
3. Rebuild audio endpoints using FX Configurator (removes added keys).

You can also run a registry cleaner after, although entries will do nothing if left.

Attachments

• Task Manager -1.png
    Task Manager -1.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Task Manager -2.png
    Task Manager -2.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Regedit.png
    Regedit.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Fixed a registration issue with the installer, and also updated the setup files, I apologize.

Fixed.png

----

To get DTS Interactive on Realtek USB, install the pack, then using FX Config, add the 'DTS Encoder' key (Docs folder) to the last position in composite EFX.
You will see that the Realtek USB device already has SFX-MFX-EFX keys, so you simply add to the list, don't add to LFX-GFX.

Tested on an ALC4080.

Last edited:
I have adjusted the 'SETUP' folder and added PCI-USB. To get DTS Interactive, as above (add the key to composite EFX, last place), then copy GUID > edit-restore 'Multichannel [Interactive].reg' > restart.

----

Backup the endpoint before you make any changes, in case you want to restore. You can also create a backup after successful changes, allowing you to switch (Interactive | Stereo).

----

To get the DTS apps working on PCI-USB, you will need to convert the device to HDAUDIO (see here), then edit-restore the relevant .reg files from the HDA folder.
It may also be possible to add a USB DTS preset (all the files) to the 'C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x\' folder, but I have not tested.

----

The DTS APO keys are now located in 'Class ID's.txt' in the FX Configurator main folder, use the provided FX shortcut.

HDA Realtek.png

Here is an image of basically no driver, or driver but no added APO's (using built in Microsoft APO's).

No Driver.png

----

If you need-want a stereo, 2.0 to 5.1 upmixer, try this.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Optical.png
    Optical.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Balance.png
    Balance.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Audacity.png
    Audacity.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Speaker Config.png
    Speaker Config.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Note, the setup .reg files are no longer read only, instead create a new folder (device or computer name), copy the .reg files you need to the folder, then edit the files as needed.

Post 1 needs a bit of updating, but the quick guide for most devices: [Install (double click) > edit/restore your chosen .reg > restart your computer].
You may need to restore the edited .reg using FX Config (with the correct device selected), with some audio devices.

====

If you want to add back the Microsoft APO, after setting up DTS from .reg, you can add back the SFX-MFX keys, second place 'composite', and property key.

Property Page (Tab): {5860E1C5-F95C-4A7A-8EC8-8AEF24F379A1}
SFX (LFX): {62DC1A93-AE24-464C-A43E-452F824C4250}
MFX (GFX): {637C490D-EEE3-4C0A-973F-371958802DA2}

With DTS Interactive, the result would be: [ SFX - DTS/MS | MFX - DTS/MS | EFX - DTS/DTS Encoder ] + Property Key.

Last edited:
If you are using a Realtek, HDA or USB, you can enable 'Stereo Mix' (recording), set its level to mute, enable listen to, and set to SPDIF.
Is it possible for 'Stereo Mix' to literally output the speaker layout it's "listening" to?
At presen't the layout as detected by windows' mixer is always stereo regardless of the source speaker layout output.
The reason I'm asking is because I use a VST host as well for some additional processing (BlueCat's PatchWork - WDM-KS) and when setting the input to 'Stereo Mix' the host only detects... well... stereo.
The only workaround I've found thus far which does work fairly well is running Virtual Audio Cable tailor configured to my speaker layout (5.1) and have its virtual 'SPDIF' input set in PatchWork (while not actually listening) and output set to GPU HDMI.

Its stereo only, not sure why Realtek have not upgraded it. Its physically circuited to clone left-right from analogue after the DAC (yes after), PCM > Analogue > PCM.

Its stereo only, not sure why Realtek have not upgraded it. Its physically circuited to clone left-right from analogue after the DAC (yes after), PCM > Analogue > PCM.
Hmmm... understood.
Well, thankfully the VAC solution is in fact a very good one.
Thanks!

I have used it for that reason in the past to test APO's. Stereo mix does the job of keeping SPDIF always on, it can be 1 channel and still work.
Some units can produce a start-stop pop, (on-off pop) if SPDIF is not always on, a bit like an amp on pop.

I don't get that issue, but I do prefer the decode light stays on, like with Creative.

Realtek > SPDIF > DTS Interactive > TOSLink > Receiver. The decode light specifies its receiving DTS or Dolby and decoding the compression back to PCM.
Has to be PCM before it can hit a DAC, or PowerDAC, that's the same for all compressed formats, they are decompressed into PCM.

Even Atmos and DTS:X has to be PCM before it can hit a DAC or be processed, so don't be tricked.

Oh right...
I have mine set to 'Straight' mode.
It's a fairly old Yamaha which doesn't actually support all the latest formats so to go around that I basically killed all decoding and CEC features and instead put the PC in charge.
And did a bit of EDID cheating too :)

Well, once OEM's get to DMAS level, and HDA does more than ~37mbps, then you wont even need compression for extra channels. SPDIF and HDMI have something more in common than being digital.
To get more than 8 channels on HDMI or 2 on legacy SPDIF (current is 15 ch), you need a compressed format. Else compression reduces total stream bandwidth, and-or file size.

Its very possible that DTS-Dolby add additional enhancements to the audio in PCM form before it's compressed, giving an impression of a better format.
The way I setup SPDIF is much the same, its have DTS:X-Realtek audio processing before its compressed and sent down SPDIF (6 ch).

A Pioneer Elite SC-81 from 2014 with an ESS Sabre DAC has 15 channel consumer standard SPDIF (ESS Sabre top stuff).

Last edited:
I've been following up on your updates to that thread...
The technical side of it is a couple of notches beyond my paygrade but the principal sounds very interesting indeed!

Last edited: