• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices [USB Supported]

Package installer updated, you can re-download if you want, but you don't need to re-install (no APO changes).
The installer will now run in one admin cmd, and no longer spam elevate requests.

Install (double click) > setup device(s) > restart.

I am now on a break for a bit, if you have any questions or need help ask here or message me.

----

You can use the PCI-USB .reg files if you are setting up your own key config, example: Microsoft + Interactive.

Last edited:
If you have an INTELAUDIO device, you can use the HDA setup files, but you might need to use the alternative files (replace the ones in the APO4x folder), before installing.

Edited-Updated FX Config.

Attachments

• FX Config.png
    FX Config.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

md500

Tested on Conexant CX20753/4 on Lenovo Thinkpad E580 With Windows 10 22h2. It works flawlessly! I Added Hesuvi as extra.

The factory dolby from Lenovo Vantage are just preset options without any equalizer or extra effects.

I had to edit Stereo.reg to add my ID, use OEM-Laptop files and modify dtsapo4xext.inf to add another %APO4x% line with conexant and reinstall with driver signing disabled.

Is possible to make it work with hdmi monitors?

Last edited:
Yes it will work on HDMI, it applies to the GPU, rather than the monitor directly. Can you post your Conexant ID, I will add it next update so you don't need to.
The only downside to GPU is that, the Ultra system is built to detect Speaker and Headphones, and not SPDIF or HDMI.

https://hifi.ooo/threads/dts-dch-driver-for-realtek-hda-dts-x.25/post-289 (top of this post is a guide).
You can however use multichannel mode without a supported form factor.

1691401561835.png

----

Extra note, if you want to use Equalizer APO and DTS together, move all the DTS keys to the single lines above composite.
When you run the EAPO config, select the endpoint, at the bottom select troubleshoot, tick 'use original'.

If you already have EAPO setup, unselect the device in the EAPO config, restart.

SFX-MFX.png

You will want SFX-MFX, not SFX-EFX. SFX to upmix, MFX for EQ's.

Last edited:

md500

Here's my ID of Conexant CX20753/4 (on Lenovo Thinkpad E580): HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5111&SUBSYS_17AA5068

If you want, check on file T15Plmwa.inf

I'm curious about multichannel and multichannel (interactive).

Actually, it works correctly together (both effects works) as in the pic (even Equalizer Apo Editor says "hey, this is not installed"). I must do that even both effects (Hesuvi frontend of EQ Apo and Dts X) sounds, to get a better sound and config?

I had to install Equalizer Apo to use Hesuvi (is like an overlay).
1691428492232.png

1691427015006.png

But when I check Speakers and Troubleshooting, it won't let me select "Use original Apo" (what happens if I install it with that selected). I think because when I installed Equalizer Apo I had to uncheck it to make it work together (I have to uninstall all audio drivers to check it right). I leave the driver (.rar) if you want to check it too.

Edit: i don't know why i cant upload .rar file...

1691428210372.png

Attachments

• T15Plmwa.inf.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Ok I will go though steps with some explanation, so you can have both running. Multichannel will set the device to 5.1 and use the 5.1+ EFX, Multichannel Interactive is the same but for SPDIF only.
In your case you need only the HDA stereo file (which you did in your first post), Inside the SETUP folder in the' DTS Ultra' main folder, is FX with 'Class ID's.txt'.

Open the Class ID's.txt, and also FX Config, select your device, you will notice on composite is the 3 DTS keys, move the 3 DTS keys to the single SFX-MFX-EFX lines above the composite.
So now composite should be clear of any APO keys, and there should now only be 3 DTS keys in the single lines above, now run EAPO config, use original should now show.

Now you can setup EAPO to use SFX-MFX and also support the DTS single line keys you moved from composite to single line. EAPO does not support composite.

Single Line DTS.png

Last edited:

md500

Well, i tried with several configs to check all:

1.Restarted laptop before applying DTSon single keys (SFX/MFX/EFX), opening DTS unbound = DTS Working.
1.png

2. On this post (https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/equaliser-apo-stereo-surround-upmixer.276608/) you said
Install Equaliser APO, when installing you will be asked which APO method to use, try 'SFX/MFX' first, then restart, then try 'SFX/EFX' using the configurator.
If you are using my DTS drivers, make sure you select 'SFX/MFX' and pre-mix only, no post-mix, and apply the reg file before restarting.
Tried with SFX/MFX to install EqAPO with ONLY PRE-MIX with "Use original APO".

Basically: DTS+Hesuvi with Premix+USE OAPO [SFX/MFX]. rebooted laptop to check = Only DTS works. Hesuvi ( uses EqAPO as base) doesn't work.

2.png

3. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix Only("Use OAPO" unchecked)[SFX/MFX] = Same as 2nd point.

3.png

4. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix(Use OAPO checked) {sfx/mfx -> sfx/efx} = Same as 2nd point. However afther reboot, sfx/efx reverts to sfx/mfx like on 2nd pic (because mfx and efx only is used when it uses post-mix)
4.png

5. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix(use OAPO)+PostMix(use OAPO) with [SFX/MFX] = Audio is completely broken (like interference and corrupted audio). I must use Disable Everything on Hesuvi to disable EqAPO and restore sound and DTS works.

5.png

6. DTS+Hesuvi with ONLY PostMix(use OAPO) with [SFX/MFX] = Same as 5th point. (broken audio)

6.png

7. DTS+Hesuvi with ONLY PostMix(use OAPO unckecked) with [SFX/MFX] = Same as 5th point. (broken audio)

7.png

8. DTS+Hesuvi with PostMix(use OAPO) with (SFX/EFX) = DTS and EqAPO (hesuvi) works.

8.png

9. DTS+Hesuvi with ONLY PostMix(OAPO unckecked) with (SFX/EFX) = Same as 8th point (works).
9.png

10. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix(OAPO)+PostMix(OAPO) with (SFX/EFX) = Same as 8th point (works).
10.png

11. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix+PostMix (unckecked OAPO on both) with (SFX/EFX) = Same as 8th point (works).
11.png

12. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix(OAPO)+PostMix(OAPO unckecked) with (SFX/EFX) = Same as 8th point (works).

12.png

13. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix(OAPO unckecked)+PostMix(OAPO checked) with (SFX/EFX) = Same as 8th point (works).
13.png

14. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix+PostMix (unckecked OAPO on Both) with [SFX/MFX] = Same as 5th point (audio broken).
14.png

15. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix(OAPO checked)+PostMix(OAPO unckecked) with [SFX/MFX] = Same as 5th point (audio broken).

15.png

16. DTS+Hesuvi with Premix(OAPO unckecked)+PostMix(OAPO checked) with [SFX/MFX] = Same as 5th point (audio broken).
16.png

Now i dont know what is the difference between 8,9,10,11,12,13. Althougth OAPO option is unckecked or marked on these points, DTS and Hesuvi still works.
Maybe latency related? Will 11 config get less latency and 8 config more latency?

It seems that SFX/MFX with EqAPO breaks audio on Conexant CX20753/4, no matter with config use with it (2,3,4 EqAPO doesnt work and 5,6,7,14,15,16 config breaks audio). I dont know if happens the same with another conexant chip and realtek...

What does "Allow silent buffer modification"? Will improve something or change anything (Positive)? I've already read the text, but I still don't understand what purpose and use it will have.

17.question.png

Thank you beforehand!

So you need SFX-EFX for Hesuvi, it seems. I have never used the silent buffer mod, it says its for delayed audio.

md500

Surprisingly, I made EQapo+DTS work in conjunction with a different APO (EqAPO+DTS+PCEE4).
Even though EQapo doesn't support composite (SFX/MFX/EFX), it still works.

I moved all the single SFX, MFX and EFX keys to composite and they work. I also added the
PCEE4 and it works too. Basically 3 apos are running on live and direct.
Captura de pantalla 2023-08-10 065829.png

I leave a video to demostrate that Equalizer APO still works (A dependency for Hesuvi)
Password for .rar file: eqapo-dts-pcee4TEST

Hesuvi wiki states that EqAPO needs to be installed for Hesuvi to work.

Captura de pantalla 2023-08-10 064149.png

md500

Update: Suddenly DTS stopped working afther reboot, but hesuvi working and PCEE4 (DHTv4).
Workaround: I had to set every DTS,EqAPO and DHTv4 keys together on composite SFX/MFX/EFX to make it work.

Captura de pantalla 2023-08-11 094852.png

Impressive. Edit: Have you disabled Windows Store updates and installed the provided Sound Unbound?

====

[Update Test]

Disable all modified devices via the sound panel, apply the change, restart, enable all devices.

If you get a problem after let me know. Thanks.

What to expect: Improved audio quality and latency, Windows trick. Reduced chance of the Windows 'Listen to' bug.
What to test: Changing channels, sample rates, and enhancement features (EQ's, modes, so on).

Last edited:

md500

Impressive. Edit: Have you disabled Windows Store updates and installed the provided Sound Unbound?
1691843554219.png

Yes, it's disabled and i have installed the 2020.03.28 (provided Sound Unbound). I checked on store is the 2023 version and says "update" button.
1691843581497.png

Ferather said:
What to expect: Improved audio quality and latency, Windows trick. Reduced chance of the Windows 'Listen to' bug.
What to test: Changing channels, sample rates, and enhancement features (EQ's, modes, so on).
I'm expecting audio latency when i changing volume, but no latency when i play a video, but apo effects(dts+eqapo+pcee4) works.

What do you mean with "Listen to" bug? i only can use it on microphone "listen to" feature on speakers.
1691843661114.png

Well, i think that all is working correctly. On i7-8550u i'm getting 3% cpu usage (as max) on audiodg service setting as 24bit (48khz). It's normal, when having more than >1 apo (like the Alan AFF Realtek driver)?

1691844054186.png

Last edited:
The listen to bug, sometimes when you load Windows, the Audio DG is running at say 0.3% (in my case) when it should be 0.0% (not in use).
When this happens, if you mute 'Stereo Mix' from the sound volume mixer, or disable in the sound panel, it stops (0.0%).

In use, I get about 0.3-0.2% CPU, but it does indeed depend on the number of APO's (each using CPU), and your CPU specs.
The volume latency you mention may be due to the APO's, was it like that before the test change?

Attachments

• CPU.png
    CPU.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 44
  • CPU.png
    CPU.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 43
  • Potplayer.png
    Potplayer.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 26

md500

The volume latency you mention may be due to the APO's, was it like that before the test change?
Yes, i get latency when i only change volume and UAC pops up, but when i play anything like every video, game or music i don't get latency.

The latency happens when DTSAPO4Service and DTSSoundUnbound2.exe opens (or when i start them if i stop it). However, when i play/record a sound/video (so i unable to show the latency issue on video) and i try the same thing (change volume) no latency occurs (same if i stop the video but don't close the video player).

Latency seems to disappear when i try to force stop DTSAPO4Service and DTSSoundUnbound2.exe from task manager, but it causes DTS stop working.

Basically, Latency only occurs when no sound is playing/recording and i try to change volume or UAC pops up (when no recording/play a video/audio). It seems that audiodg.exe takes time to start in 1sec (when no sound or recording.

Its similar to this Issue but on my case, it takes only 1sec before play/recording. DisabledProtectedAudioDG is enabled.
1691871120479.png

I'm going to try with the first workaround.
1691871269214.png

Password of rar: eqapo-dts-pcee4TEST

Audio Test Latency

Last edited:
Spatial mode enabled can cause an increase to latency, try disabling spatial with the services running.

md500

Spatial mode enabled can cause an increase to latency, try disabling spatial with the services running.
1691881799017.png

Thanks! Latency is reduced (More if i disable PCEE4 and EqAPO).

Headphone DTS:X and DTS:X Ultra does the same thing? Its only useful on games?

Good. :)

In that older Sound Unbound version the naming is still separated | Headphone:X = for headphones | DTS:X Ultra = for speakers.
In the current version you get only Headphone:X mode, but then 'no headphones' option, which is DTS:X Ultra.

Games and Movies.

----

I also updated the package, it now includes Conexant and C-Media vendor id's, and the DTS SFX update change.

----

If you have a Realtek HDA device and DTS Interactive wont show, see 'Realtek HDA.txt', then restart.
If it still does not show, you need a supporting device policy (see here #1633).

DTS Interactive only applies to SPDIF-HDMI, not analogue.

You can also use my DTS Settings (from my DTS DCH pack), if you want DTS-Realtek HDA APO's.

----

I suggest you do 'Win CAudio' after uninstalling, before installing. Else disable all audio devices, apply, restart, enable.
The 'MSI Utility' (run as admin), can be used at anytime, tick supporting devices, apply, restart.

You only need to run these tools once, not every time you uninstall-install.

MSI Utility.png

----

Attachments

• E-APO - DTS DCH.png
    E-APO - DTS DCH.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Optical.png
    Optical.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
If you are using Realtek USB, thanks to testing from @Kraven, you can use the HDA files to setup the SPDIF device (if you don't care about other APO's).

If your Realtek USB comes with other APO's (Nahimic, Sonic Studio, other), you will need to add the DTS keys manually.
You would then use the PCI-USB .reg files, which sets up channel config, but not any APO keys.

If you have to select DTS Interactive from the formats list after the restart, apply the edited .reg once again, this will fully set DTS as default.

=====

If you prefer to work without FX Config, or it does not work for you for any reason, you can use ExecTI to run Regedit, and manually setup APO keys.
You can identify the correct device by selecting the 'Properties' key, then looking for the device name and other info.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render
You can do the same to edit then apply the setup .reg files, by copying the ID key.

Registry FXProperties.png
Add or Arrange.png

I have attached 'Registry Keys.txt'.

=====

Attachments

• Default Format.png
    Default Format.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Kraven USB.png
    Kraven USB.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Registry Keys.txt
    471 bytes · Views: 48
Last edited:
Package updated

Removed and replaced the extension with a system device, no more editing. Its also easier to remove (Device manager > uninstall).
You can use Driver Store Explorer to force remove the older extension, and then restart the computer.

In system devices there will now be 'DTS Ultra Processing Controller', with the required software component attach points.

Install (Double click) > Setup (reg files) > Restart | If SPDIF + DTS Interactive, select DTS from formats, then re-run the setup .reg.

Last edited:
New package gives :

Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\System32\BIN\elevate.exe". Make sure..........." when right clicking and selecting "Run as admin". Running from command line is fine. Previous packs installed fine.

Just double 'Install' click as before. You will get the above with run as admin, Admin console CD default is C:\Windows\System32\, CD default with normal cmd is the working directory.

Being a bat makes this confusing, I could program for admin, but I don't want to make any changes right now.
That's the reason it was a shortcut previously, but AV's don't like the cmd shortcut.

I copy pasted the original shortcut codes, my intention was to show you the shortcuts where never a virus in the first place.

----

@Kraven Edit 2: I actually can make it support right click and work correctly.

> Done for anyone who tries the same <

Last edited: