• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Equaliser APO - Stereo Surround Upmixer

Off-topic, but closure for earlier comments: I've just gone back and reinstalled your "DTS DCH 6.0.9155.2" driver package. It seems to be working fine - I had indeed not configured the stereo mix properly. I'll ask further questions in that thread.

Updated, nothing has changed except the default gains. Better suited to DTS APO4, and in general, better defaults for DTS Interactive.
To see the extra tabs, press the green up arrow next to the feature, you can also adjust each one to suit.

1621712606615.png

Updated.

Balanced analogue and digital output gains, they should have roughly the same output volume.
Added VST panel to the stereo upmixer, feel free to add additional options.

I suggest using SPDIF, even with wave. Its louder and handles noise from audio better.

Updated.

Balanced analogue and digital output gains, they should have roughly the same output volume.
Added VST panel to the stereo upmixer, feel free to add additional options.

I suggest using SPDIF, even with wave. Its louder and handles noise from audio better.
FYI, the file you uploaded is actually a regular ZIP file, not 7-Zip. That might throw a few unpackers off.

You can add one other APO to E-APO after installing and configuring it. Location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EqualizerAPO\Child APOs
In my case I added the Realtek SFX that is otherwise already present on composite SFX, and enables features in the panel.

1.png

itm2

Bit of a noob here. I'm interested in upscaling stereo audio on Windows 10 for a 5.1 speaker system (Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200). I'm using the onboard audio on a B450 Aorus Elite motherboard. I've followed the instructions in the OP and copied across the text files to the config folder. I've opened the Equalizer APO Editor app and selected my speakers, and a channel configuration of 5.1 (also tried 5.1 surround). I only get stereo playback, from the front speakers.
All of the speakers test OK in the Windows Sound Control Panel.
Any ideas for what I might have done wrong?

Yes, you either did not run the 'Configurator' to setup 'pre-mix' (no post-mix), SFX/MFX. Or, you need to select your speakers in the lower config in the main panel. :)

1.png2.png

itm2

Thanks. I did select the speakers in the lower config in the main panel, but I hadn't setup SFX/MFX in the Configurator. I have just done so however, and rebooted, but I still only get output from the front 2 speakers, whether I select the Channel configuration as "5.1" or "5.1 Surround"
???

itm2

As I didn't have any luck with the onboard soundcard, I'm trying to use Equaliser APO with my Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD USB audio interface instead. This time it's telling me that "Equalizer APO has not been installed to the selected device". But I believe that I had correctly configured it in the Configurator app (and rebooted). A screenshot of my settings is attached:

APO problem.jpg

Odd, check the device settings to see if enhancers are off. I've heard of this before, sometimes some it goes wonky, you could try uninstall and re-installing.
Sometimes if you uninstall or update the driver without first resetting E-APO's configuration, it can also act strangely.

Either that or something else on the system is trying to override FX settings, I am not sure.

1625524045797.png

1625524213935.png

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EqualizerAPO\Child APOs\

Hello Ferather, and thank you for the guide!
A few things I noticed when doing an install for the first time:
Install Equaliser APO, when installing you will be asked which APO method to use, try 'LFX/GFX' first, then restart, then try 'SFX/MFX'.
When I started installation, it wasn't obvious to set a tickbox for Troubleshooting options - as it states "only use in case of problems", found it when reinstalling

Secondly,
Now open 'Equaliser APO', and select your outputs
Again I opened Configurator.exe while in fact I needed Configuration Editor (which I thought would open a text config file to edit as the picture didn't load for me).

Maybe it's worth wording it explicitly for the new users to make it 100% clear and unambiguous?

Also, I noticed a "VST Plugin" section in upmixer.txt, is it really functional? The reason I'm asking is that I found a .VST plugin named "DTS Neural Upmix" laying in distros folder in my LAN, here's the description:
Neural UpMix is a plug-in for the post-production and mixing communities.
Combining precision and creative flexibility it can output 5.1 or 7.1
multi-channel stems from stereo or 5.1 source material and is intended for
projects where the original source elements for a conventional upmix are
not available. It is especially useful for catalog films, TV series,
documentaries, menus, deleted scenes, and featurettes.

Unlike other technologies, audio stems processed with Neural UpMix do not
suffer audio phase anomalies during downmix in the consumer environment.
This is essential in preserving the intent and quality of the original mix.
Neural UpMix is also far from a "set-and-forget" plug-in, providing
creative controls for soundfield width and depth, channel layout, output
levels, LFE filtering and a final limiter.
Can it be of any use for you and the community? I guess it would be more laggy than yours but in some cases might come in handy.
Thanks as always!

@DriVE654, post 1 updated, yes VST plugins work as intended, however feel free to re-position it if needed, using the editor.

You only to select HDMI as digital, no need to place it into analogue (speakers, headphones). Else all good.

Fx7

About Equaliser APO setup, maybe this note will be of use to someone. I am using ALC899 Msi notebook. my setup is MFX (post-mix), it works fine. When I installed only SFX, the 5.1 surrond speakers were not working.

If you are using the DTS DCH driver, around -8.00 to -4.80 LFE is ideal. -8.00 is the better average, and its not too loud with pre-enhanced bass audio.
It can also depend on your speaker system, or any customizations, so feel free to find the value that works for you best.

The same can be said for the balance settings, which allow you to push audio in a direction.

1631697914719.png
1631698992047.png

Multichannel 7.1 and 5.1 Wav Test Files (jensign.com)

----

Forgot to mention, instead of a multichannel EQ, which does not exist as far as I know, you can use filters and gains.
Multiple filters can allow you to increase-decrease audio like an EQ, try adding your own config.

Equalizer APO / Documentation Wiki / Configuration reference (sourceforge.net)

Take note of any delay you might be adding doing that way.

Last edited:

Phailing

Hi @Ferather,

Thanks for your guide, but I've run into a little bit of a problem. Equalizer APO and the setup is done correctly, but I don't get any rear audio unless I disable "Enable audio enhancements". Do you have any suggestions on how I should approach this problem?

Thanks again!

If that's the AAF driver, you wont be able to fix that issue unless Alan has removed-changed the patched Realtek APO, which is the cause of the problem.
The DTS DCH driver uses the dedicated DTS APO, which is fully functional and works on both SPDIF and HDMI, on any device.

The maximum I can do with SPDIF and HDMI 1.4 is: 6x 192khz or 8 x 96khz.

If that's the AAF driver, you wont be able to fix that issue unless Alan has removed-changed the patched Realtek APO, which is the cause of the problem.
The DTS DCH driver uses the dedicated DTS APO, which is fully functional and works on both SPDIF and HDMI, on any device.

The maximum I can do with SPDIF and HDMI 1.4 is: 6x 192khz or 8 x 96khz.
MOTU USB sound card with what DTSX MOD

Fx7

Hi @Ferather,

Thanks for your guide, but I've run into a little bit of a problem. Equalizer APO and the setup is done correctly, but I don't get any rear audio unless I disable "Enable audio enhancements". Do you have any suggestions on how I should approach this problem?

Thanks again!
This is how my problem was solved. In short, when you remove realtek's effects, the rear speakers work properly.