• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Equaliser APO - Stereo Surround Upmixer

I just noticed I forgot to mention the new .reg file, which fixes a few issues. Power off E-APO, apply the .reg (double click), transfer the config files.
Restart your computer, then power on all of the E-APO features. See the image below for the power buttons.

1660745980864.png

If its a fresh install of E-APO, skip the devices part, apply the .reg, copy the config, restart, then setup the devices (see post 1, image 2-3).

====

The extra tabs can be revealed by clicking the green arrow to the right of each 'Include'. Analogue and digital are isolated, DAC's differ.

Upmixer:

Global [PCM] 2 channel to 6-8 channel upmixer, with web browser override point (inputChannelCount == 0, to == 6).
Detects the number of input channels and upmixes (default 2 channel) to 6-8 channels.

Note - Web browsers send out 6 channels (not 2), but populate only 2 in cases of stereo, 4 empty channels.

Analogue:

Global [PCM] channel gain-reduction (8ch), intended to be used to balance speaker placement, other. Isolated.

Digital:

Global [PCM] channel gain-reduction (8ch), intended to be used to balance speaker placement, other. Isolated.

----

Feel free to add gain-reduction to the LFE channel in upmixer (my driver has EFX crossover).

Last edited:
How to use a VST upmixer:

Open the 'Upmixer' tab, then power off the basic upmixer (at the top): If: inputChannelCount == 2 or inputChannelCount == 0 | To | If: inputChannelCount == 0 or inputChannelCount == 0
Then at the bottom, select the VST plugin you wish to use, and in some cases the channels: Adaptive Stereo to 5.1 Surround Upmixer (VST) by itsalic

1660855881470.png

Question:

Hi.
I saw you tutorial how to upmix/ fill a 5.1 system with stereo.
Ive got a Sonos Arc + 2x One speaker + Sub (5.1.2 system) and I would like to have 5.1 sound with browser (Edge) etc.
So far I get only 5.1 and Atmos in games which support surround...
It's connected via HDMI Nvidia RTX3080 -> LG C1 -> Sonos Arc.

Answer:

In my version, you change the top line in Upmixer to 6, Web browsers output 6 channels but populate only left, right with audio, so 2 channels is NOT detected.

> First click on the green arrow with my config files to open the upmixer configuration:

1.png

> Change "inputChannelCount == 0" to "inputChannelCount == 6", then press enter.

2.png

Note, true 6 channel audio will be converted to stereo upmix, if left on.

----

Add side if you are using 7.1, and channel factor to amp/de-amp.

3.png

----

Alternative VST version, here.

Last edited:
My set-it-and-leave-it solution to web browsers is to force all browser audio through VB-Cable (specifically the free VBCABLE_Driver_Pack43.zip, though I do have the others for use in OBS). This 'virtual cable' downmixes all of that application's audio to stereo, which E-APO can then work with.

The caveat here is that all original multi-channel audio in browsers is also affected, but how often do you see that? I haven't missed it one bit. Unless you regularly watch NF/Disney/whatever in your browser, which I don't or use a specific browser like Edge for, you also won't miss it.

Once installed, open up Sounds panel and go to the Recording tab. Find "VB-Cable". I've renamed mine to better suit my brain.

VB 1.png
VB 2.png

Once you've found it, double-click it and go to the Listen tab and turn on "Listen to this device" and playback through your chosen sound system.

VB 3.png

Once VB-Cable is configured, load up Sound Settings and go to the "App volume and device preferences" section.

App volume 0.png
App volume 1.png

Start playing some audio in your browser (try something random in YouTube) otherwise it won't show up in the subsequent window.

Change the audio output preference to VB-Cable.

App volume 2.png

This ONLY affects that particular app, so if you do watch streaming regularly you can continue to do so in a different one. For me, Edge works best with those anyway, but I prefer to do my regular browsing in Opera.

If you find other troublesome apps (and there are more, such as more recent versions of Foobar2000) just do the same. No need to install a separate copy of VB-Cable.

Would be better if they programmed web browsers properly, and output only the input channels opposed to adding empty channels.
Sometimes if I have to, I copy the url and play it back in Potplayer, which outputs 2 channels no empty ones.

Last edited:
Agreed, but a lot of the blame lies with Microsoft. Apparently it's due to Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) and it's apparently difficult to not output 6 channels.

I posted about this and got my answer on Reddit and and Hydrogen Audio.

didney_worl1

hmm ive a 5.0 setup, LFE is L/R/C for me. any idea which values to use for high/low pass filters? since its to much bass when just copying the channels.

The frequency can differ per unit, some will say 80hz, maybe even 60hz, 120hz and 180hz are also valid. I stared with 180hz and have moved up to 288hz.

The Misunderstood 0.1 LFE Channel in 5.1 Digital Surround Sound - HomeTheaterHifi.com
What is Bass in music and how it affects your music experience? (gadgetverge.com)

1667847218380.png

----

High pass -- removes the set frequency (288hz and below) - removes bass, this is done to all channels except the created LFE channel.
Low pass -- removes the set frequency (288hz and above) - removes non-bass, this is done to only the LFE channel.

Set to 288hz gives me 288hz crossover, set to 180hz gives me 180hz crossover.

1.png

----

Most receivers will have built in crossover, so if you do not remove the LFE frequency you will get too much (L, R, C, RL, RR).

Last edited:

didney_worl1

Ok. Also ive noticed when selecting the speaker setup i can choose that i have a separate Sub or i haven't.
Didnt noticed much diffrence but which option is the correct one? Since my Soundbar still uses some of the speakers as a Sub i belive.
Soundbar is a Sonos Arc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117_111403_Signal.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_111403_Signal.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 75
I would imagine if its 5.0, that the LFE channel is mixed with the other channels internally.

Look at the speaker layout picture to the right. It should change as you select different options. Choose the one that matches your setup - probably the one with four speakers and NO box (subwoofer) in the top right.

didney_worl1

Ive tried, but its a bit strange.
APO and CRU says its a 7.1 system (since Atmos/ Home Theater is enabled) but the windows config shows a 5.1 in the picture (with Sub) and cant be changed.

Even on SPDIF it shows 8 channels, normally you can't see the config for SPDIF, the image below is due to a special unlock.

Atmos.png

I would guess the receiver reports a 6 channel configuration.

trex33

Please, I need help, I wasted 2 days of my life and nothing works. Recently I've done upgrade, my new motherboard is Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2, the integrated audio card is Realtek ALC1220-VB and it supports 7.1 when using 4 audio jacks (my speakers are analogue Creative T7900). The problem is that 7.1 sound plays only via audio or video player, when I play anything via Chrome or any other browser it is only 2.1. The driver for the integrated audio is latest version 6.0.9313.1 from the official Gygabyte driver update website, it contained Realtek Audio Console, which has the option Speaker Fill, but it does not work at all. My windows is 11, 64-bit latest version, it is missing the Audio Enhancement "Speaker Fill". I want to have upmix in the browser even if it is fake and only copies the sound from the other channels. I tried countless old, patched drivers, dozens of other methods over the internet, nothing works. I also tried everything written in these 5 pages - Equalizer APO doesn't do anything for me. I tried every plugin from the author of the website and the other authors (VST, Peter), nothing works. I opened the Configurator, installed APO only as Pre-mix, I chose Install as SFX/EFX (experimental) and rebooted and then it shows SFX/MFX (the second option). Maybe I am missing something, or doing something wrong, can anyone guide me howto fix this issue, because I can't waste another more day, I am starting to think even to buy external creative soundcard (I have no space in the PC case to install internal audio card, that's why I can't use my old creative internal card anymore) and forget about this pain in the ... realtek onboard audio.
Update: I tried EAPO as post-mix only (installed as "SFX/EFX") with Peter's Equalizer upmix stereo channels (speaker fill) - Spotify plays on all speakers, everything from Chrome the same, only 2.1.

Last edited:
The reason that is happening is because browsers and many other apps are using the Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) and it's apparently difficult to not output 6 channels. This means that stereo audio is still being sent as multichannel, with the unused channels staying silent.

The easiest solution is to force it to output stereo somehow and then upmix the result. For me, I use VB-Cable. See my post above for details.

@trex33, sorry to hear you are having issues, In my upmixer version, I added a line at the top (inputChannelCount == 0), change the 0 to a 6, and then back when done.
As mentioned above web browsers output 6 channels even with stereo, and upmixers detect 2 channels (stereo), they ignore 6 channels normally.

Because the web browser is outputting 6 channels, but populating only left-right with audio, no upmixing occurs.

1669438651651.png

trex33

The reason that is happening is because browsers and many other apps are using the Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) and it's apparently difficult to not output 6 channels. This means that stereo audio is still being sent as multichannel, with the unused channels staying silent.

The easiest solution is to force it to output stereo somehow and then upmix the result. For me, I use VB-Cable. See my post above for details.
A thousand thanks! Stone-D literally you saved my day (third day in a row actually). The installation of this VB-Cable is just click and done. After that Listen tab showed only once, I clicked it and then it is not shown at all. I configured EqualizerAPO in Configurator.exe Cable Input and Speakers, clicking on each one Troubleshooting Options and Speakers Pre-Mix: Install APO -> Install as SFX/MFX. Restarted Windows, for the configuration I used Peace Equalizer, interface Equalizer APO (https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/), thanks to him also, because it may seem easy to you, but it seemed rocket science to me to change the config file dozen times with different options and nothing worked. Now with VB-Cable installed and configured, with Equalizer APO installed and configured and with Peace Equalizer, interface Equalizer APO configured to use Upmix stereo channels (speaker fill) all 7.1 speakers work when playing any sound in Chrome. I apologize for the language in some of the screenshots, I do not have nerves to change my language, restart and make new ones. Now all I have to see is will all this works with my original driver (I think so) because I now use the DTS DCH Drivers for Realtek (6.0.9414.1 - Signed) but I was not able to do anything more than install it and it cost me an hour of all that too complicated things for me and after installation i had no idea what to do next with setting this driver. Ferather - how can I uninstall your driver and do you think all stated above will work with the original Realtek audio driver?

Attachments

• Stone3.jpg
    Stone3.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Stone2.jpg
    Stone2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Stone1.jpg
    Stone1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Stone4.jpg
    Stone4.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Delme.jpg
    Delme.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 100
A thousand thanks! Stone-D literally you saved my day (third day in a row actually). The installation of this VB-Cable is just click and done. After that Listen tab showed only once, I clicked it and then it is not shown at all. I configured EqualizerAPO in Configurator.exe Cable Input and Speakers, clicking on each one Troubleshooting Options and Speakers Pre-Mix: Install APO -> Install as SFX/MFX. Restarted Windows, for the configuration I used Peace Equalizer, interface Equalizer APO (https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/), thanks to him also, because it may seem easy to you, but it seemed rocket science to me to change the config file dozen times with different options and nothing worked. Now with VB-Cable installed and configured, with Equalizer APO installed and configured and with Peace Equalizer, interface Equalizer APO configured to use Upmix stereo channels (speaker fill) all 7.1 speakers work when playing any sound in Chrome. I apologize for the language in some of the screenshots, I do not have nerves to change my language, restart and make new ones. Now all I have to see is will all this works with my original driver (I think so) because I now use the DTS DCH Drivers for Realtek (6.0.9414.1 - Signed) but I was not able to do anything more than install it and it cost me an hour of all that too complicated things for me and after installation i had no idea what to do next with setting this driver. Ferather - how can I uninstall your driver and do you think all stated above will work with the original Realtek audio driver?
I completely understand, I went through the exact same process with browsers. Actually my journey started because of Foobar2000 - they both act this way, stereo embedded in surround.

BTW, I went through a lot of different versions of the drivers and found Ferather's to be the best when your target is purely DTS and nothing else. I don't bother with Nahimic et al.

He's got a little stuck with multi-drivers, I pm'd him so I can assist via Teamviewer.

Thanks for the kind words.

trex33

I completely understand, I went through the exact same process with browsers. Actually my journey started because of Foobar2000 - they both act this way, stereo embedded in surround.

BTW, I went through a lot of different versions of the drivers and found Ferather's to be the best when your target is purely DTS and nothing else. I don't bother with Nahimic et al.
So it is best to stay with his driver and forget about other experiments, since now I am satisfied, everything is working in 7.1, I just wondered will your method with VB-Cable work with the original Realtek driver or not?

Yes it does (for future reference), but the plain Realtek driver will not sound as good.

trex33

Yes it does (for future reference), but the plain Realtek driver will not sound as good.
OK, Thanks to both of you :toast: , I will keep the driver. Good luck to all others who end up here in this forum after browsing countless other useless methods over the Internet, you have come to the right placе.