• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Equaliser APO - Stereo Surround Upmixer

Clibanarius

Just made a little writeup. There's a download button with a zip with the VST plugin .dll in, which is all you need.
Excellent tool, thank you! I'll be giving this a shot shortly, as I already use Equalizer APO to do the upmixing, just I toggle it manually via hotkey atm.

devildothack

Excellent tool, thank you! I'll be giving this a shot shortly, as I already use Equalizer APO to do the upmixing, just I toggle it manually via hotkey atm.

Just awesome work!! Got it install and running on my setup (DTS Interactive via SPDIF). I was using the already excellent Ferather upmix from stereo to 5.1 but with this approach it seems my AVR matrix front height channels really nicely. Again, thanks for the work, great stuff!!

Quick question I forgot to ask: does it matter if I have set up to stereo or 5.1 on the top right corner of the APO app?? Thanks.
pic2.PNG

Last edited:
No, that simply tells EAPO how to show-configure channel based features, it wont effect the input-output channels, just visible configuration.
Indeed @itsalic's work is better, you can keep the previous method, and simply turn it off, as a backup or other use.

You can either use the already provided VST position in 'Upmixer', and power off the top section, or add your own position for it.

Another method is to create a new config.txt, called VST.txt, and add a list of VST plugins, then add the VST.txt to the main panel.
Where you see the 'Upmixer' option, in the main panel, you can add the VST.txt config just below, or replace.

If anyone wants to make a VST plugin for E-APO specifically (sometimes generic VST's might be missing some features), feel free to post it here.

Technically speaking, its possible to make a VST intended for EFX, that encodes audio, although likely limited to 8 channels.
There are other possibilities with VST's, such as a multichannel EQ, and multichannel spatial.

Indeed you should, I have done several TeamViewer installs, and several people who use SPDIF, DTS Interactive.
Most get excited when I say: "Do you want an upmixer for SPDIF?", in this case stereo to 5.1 or 7.1.

I install this setup for them, and nearly all have now decided to use it along with the driver.
With my DTS version, you will hear channels 7 and 8, with only 6 speakers.

Feel free to post other VST's, but also point out where they should be used (SFX, MFX, EFX, pre, post).

DTS Interactive.png

Axel_Moore

I was testing the EApo and i noticed that upmix only works when i have the audio enhance signal on, but this makes sound my home cinema in a way that i dont like, not clean sound.

Would be possible use EAPO with the same settings as the photo? Without signal enchance.

Thanks.

2022-04-26_073300.jpg

Last edited:
No since E-APO counts as an enhancer, I believe there is a bug in Win11 and that option, the setting is also in two places.
I am not sure why the sound is not clean, a few people have said that, for me its clean and works as intended.

Currently I am still using Win10, but I will keep an eye out any info related to Win11 and-or E-APO.

Axel_Moore

No since E-APO counts as an enhancer, I believe there is a bug in Win11 and that option, the setting is also in two places.
I am not sure why the sound is not clean, a few people have said that, for me its clean and works as intended.

Currently I am still using Win10, but I will keep an eye out any info related to Win11 and-or E-APO.

Yes may be its a bug bc when i enable it the sound its not clean.

Btw i were investingating a bit and i saw that:

Equalizer APO still working after disabling "Signal Enhancements"​

I try to set eapo to SFX/EFX (experimental) but after reboot it changes it to SFX/MFX.

Right, thanks for the time and post. There must be an issue with it and Win11 or in some cases the device.
Unfortunately EAPO has not been updated in a while, and I am not sure its still being developed.

Hopefully the issue is more to do with Win11 and the changes that semi-work.

Axel_Moore

Right, thanks for the time and post. There must be an issue with it and Win11 or in some cases the device.
Unfortunately EAPO has not been updated in a while, and I am not sure its still being developed.

Hopefully the issue is more to do with Win11 and the changes that semi-work.

For some magical reason when i were doing test resintalling apo in SFX/EFX (experimental) the windows signal enchance option was fixed, and now it sounds exactly as non active.

May be this could help to somone who has the same problem.

18000rpm

I see that you are merely copying the L and R to SL, SR, RL, RR:

Copy: L=L R=R C=0.5*L+0.5*R LFE=0.5*L+0.5*R RL=L RR=R SL=L SR=R

Try this instead:

Copy: LSHIFT=-1.0*L
Copy: RSHIFT=-1.0*R
Copy: SL=L+RSHIFT
Copy: SR=R+LSHIFT
Copy: RL=SL RR=SR
Copy: C=0.7071*L+0.7071*R
Copy: LFE=0.7071*L+0.7071*R

Channel: LFE
Filter: ON LPQ Fc 60 Hz Q 0.7071
Filter: ON LPQ Fc 60 Hz Q 0.7071
Channel: L R SL SR RL RR
Filter: ON HPQ Fc 28 Hz Q 0.7071
Filter: ON HPQ Fc 28 Hz Q 0.7071

(Replace the filter frequencies with the capabilities of your speakers and sub.)

This takes the difference in phase between the left and right channels to create the surrounds. On most vocal recordings you will only hear the stereo audio in the rears which makes a dramatic difference in the sound stage. This is called a Hafler circuit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit). It is also basically Dolby Pro Logic.

With your method when listening to music you feel like you are "inside" the band which is unnatural. With a Hafler circuit the sound stage is still in front of you but you get ambient audio around you.

If you want to hear how dramatic the effect is set "Copy: L=0 R=0" to mute the front channels and only hear the surrounds.

Also because perception of volume is non-linear the correct way to mix 2 channels is to use a factor of 0.7071 (half of sqrt(2)) instead of 0.5. But you will need to reduce levels to avoid clipping.

Last edited:
Both posts are helpful, thank you for your time. Feel free to modify my preset to suit, its basic semi-on purpose.

Edit: Feel free to post your own presets, VST plugin, or modified E-APO installable.

这最初用于使用各种 UAD DCH 驱动程序对立体声进行上混,但它也应该适用于任何其他驱动程序,例如 Microsoft、其他品牌或基于 HDA 的驱动程序。

首先下载“ Equalizer APO ”(完全 100% 免费),以及适用于您设备的最新驱动程序。现在下载我的“ E-APO Stereo Upmixer ”(链接和文件已更新)。
我已将我的音频设备输出重命名为“扬声器”和“SPDIF”,并将输入重命名为“麦克风”和“立体声混音”以改进识别。

View attachment 207110View attachment 207111

安装 Equalizer APO,安装时会询问您使用哪种 APO 方法,先尝试“LFX/GFX”,然后重新启动,然后使用配置器尝试“SFX/MFX”。
如果您使用的是 AAF 或我的 DTS 驱动程序,请确保选择“SFX/MFX”而不是“LFX/GFX”,并且只选择预混音,没有后混音。

View attachment 207112View attachment 207113

解压缩我的包,然后将配置 .txt 文件(和 VFX 文件夹)剪切并移动到您的“Equaliser APO”配置目录:C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\Config。
现在打开“Equaliser APO”,然后选择你的输出,在我的例子中是“Speakers”和“SPDIF”,因为我之前重命名了它们。

View attachment 207114

现在您可以在模拟和数字上进行立体声上混了。Digital 将使用您选择的方法,如果已安装 (DDL-DTS)。
如果需要纯直接立体声并且不进行上混,请禁用 Equalizer APO 中的“上混器”选项。

View attachment 207115

使用编辑器随意修改文件以满足您的需要。
首先非常感谢您的工作,伟大的项目!之前一直在用Alan的驱动,希望能用立体声环绕声,所以改用你的作品。现在遇到一些问题,如图,请回复,谢谢!
QQ截图20220618132822.png

QQ截图20220619224726.png

sshot-1.png

QQ截图20220619223938.png

QQ截图20220619224416.png

That's analogue, not SPDIF, if the ALC supports 5.1 with analogue, then 5.1 should show as an option, else its a stereo (2.0) setup, 1 jack.
Ignore the VFX folder part, that was an older version with files I no longer support, its just the 'Config' folder now.

To show 'SFX/MFX' option, select the device from the white box after the tick is done.

那是模拟的,不是 SPDIF,如果 ALC 支持 5.1 和模拟,那么 5.1 应该显示为一个选项,否则它是立体声 (2.0) 设置,1 个插孔。
忽略 VFX 文件夹部分,这是一个旧版本的文件,我不再支持,它现在只是“配置”文件夹。

要显示“SFX/MFX”选项,请在勾选完成后从白框中选择设备。
感谢您的回复,虽然我还是不太明白如何开启5.1音效的步骤,但是非常感兴趣;谢谢您;我是笔记电脑,dell xpx 15 9560 的,声卡是ALC 298的,应该支持5.1和模拟;只是不知道如操作,具体流程,比如,第一步,第二步,第三步等等。

那是模拟的,不是 SPDIF,如果 ALC 支持 5.1 和模拟,那么 5.1 应该显示为一个选项,否则它是立体声 (2.0) 设置,1 个插孔。
忽略 VFX 文件夹部分,这是一个旧版本的文件,我不再支持,它现在只是“配置”文件夹。

要显示“SFX/MFX”选项,请在勾选完成后从白框中选择设备。
谢谢你的回复,但是我还是不知道怎么打开我的5.1频道和模拟。我的电脑是Dell XPS 15 9560 声卡和ALC 298。我之前也成功启动过驱动,但是驱动很老了,作者也没有更新过。再次感谢你的帮助。

This was originally being used to upmix stereo using various UAD DCH drivers, however it should also work on any other drivers, such as Microsoft, other brands or HDA based drivers.

First download 'Equaliser APO' (totally 100% free), and the latest drivers for your device. Now download my 'E-APO Stereo Upmixer' (link and files updated).
I have renamed my audio device outputs to 'Speakers' and 'SPDIF', and inputs to 'Microphone' and 'Stereo Mix' for improved identification.

Install Equaliser APO, when installing you will be asked which APO method to use, try 'LFX/GFX' first, then restart, then try 'SFX/MFX' using the configurator.

解压缩我的包,然后将配置 .txt 文件(和 VFX 文件夹)剪切并移动到您的“Equaliser APO”配置目录:C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\Config。

View attachment 207114

View attachment 207115

使用编辑器随意修改文件以满足您的需要。
sshot-1.png

666.png

777.png

非常感谢您的付出,希望我的反馈对您我都有帮助,谢谢。

这最初用于使用各种 UAD DCH 驱动程序对立体声进行上混,但它也应该适用于任何其他驱动程序,例如 Microsoft、其他品牌或基于 HDA 的驱动程序。

首先下载“ Equalizer APO ”(完全 100% 免费),以及适用于您设备的最新驱动程序。现在下载我的“ E-APO Stereo Upmixer ”(链接和文件已更新)。
我已将我的音频设备输出重命名为“扬声器”和“SPDIF”,并将输入重命名为“麦克风”和“立体声混音”以改进识别。

安装 Equalizer APO,安装时会询问您使用哪种 APO 方法,先尝试“LFX/GFX”,然后重新启动,然后使用配置器尝试“SFX/MFX”。

View attachment 207114

View attachment 207115

使用编辑器随意修改文件以满足您的需要。
d.png

dd.png

ee.png

rr.png

uu.png

不知道哪里出错了,全部按照教程处理,感谢辛苦!

If its a laptop, its likely to have only 1 green port, if so, then it does NOT have 5.1, 5.1 requires 3 ports.
If it has 3-4 ports, you need to plug in the extra speakers, normally 5.1 will show anyway.

Neither the driver or E-APO will give you true 5.1 over 1 port, but you get the spatial from DTS.
The DTS apps control the multichannel spatial and decoding of DTS to stereo (1 port).

2 channels (stereo) per port-plug, 2 x 3 = 6 (5.1), 2 x 4 = 8 (7.1), 2 x 1 = 2 (stereo).

Spartanz1080

How do I get it to activate I followed the instructions I also downloaded the VST plugin it worked great but it made my right channel speaker go to my rear channel speaker and I couldn’t fix it so I decided to try this. Nothing is happening do I have to power on something not sure what to do.

Attachments

• 071C0B2E-7965-4BDC-8C2F-061A219F1FEC.jpeg
    071C0B2E-7965-4BDC-8C2F-061A219F1FEC.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 131
The top one, and bottom one should be unpopulated (no sound devices), just the middle one, also download and check this file:

Let me know, else I can take a look via TeamViewer.

Spartanz1080

Do I need
The top one, and bottom one should be unpopulated (no sound devices), just the middle one, also download and check this file:

Let me know, else I can take a look via TeamViewer.
Do I need DTS for this to work I’m just trying to use this via LPCM. Also is it correct for the VST plugin the other guy provided for right channel to output to my rear channel if so I will just use that. Also how would i uninstall this config if I choose to. Also would this affect gaming surround sound?

If the media player can decode the DTS files to PCM and you are set to 5.1-7.1 then yes.
Else for analogue just use the Windows settings and click the speaker.

----

The config or the entire of E-APO? If the config, find where E-APO is installed, then its 'Config' folder, inside is the config.txt files.
You can either replace them, or delete them and re-install E-APO to get the defaults, else uninstall E-APO.

Spartanz1080

Just the config I downloaded from you. Ok so do I need DTS for this to work can I use LPCM? If I just populate the middle it should work? Does it affect gaming surround sound?

E-APO processes only PCM, so any device, even analogue. Simply set the device to 5.1-7.1 in Windows sound panel, configure.
Then once E-APO is configured with my config files, add the device to either 'analogue' or 'digital'.

Any stereo PCM will then be upmixed to 5.1 or 7.1, depending on your config.

Spartanz1080

Ok this is exactly
E-APO processes only PCM, so any device, even analogue. Simply set the device to 5.1-7.1 in Windows sound panel, configure.
Then once E-APO is configured with my config files, add the device to either 'analogue' or 'digital'.

Any stereo PCM will then be upmixed to 5.1 or 7.1, depending on your config.
Ok this is exactly what I’m looking for from my earlier picture I want just digital to upmixed so just include my speakers in the middle one and remove the others do I have to activate anything to make it work like power on? I will try when I get home from work in an hour and a half. I’m not sure why that VST plugin made the right channel come out of my rear speaker

Sorry for the late reply, if the VST is the issue I am not sure why, regardless, once setup all stereo audio will be upmixed to 5.1-7.1.
If you press the green up arrow next to upmixer, and analogue-digital, it will show and open their config panels.

Web browsers seem to output 6 channels, but sites like YouTube will populate only 2 of the channels.
Upmixers will see a total of 6 channels, so change 'inputChannelCount == 0 ' to 6.

Make sure you switch that back after YouTube, else 6 channel audio will be upmixed front.

Spartanz1080

Sorry for the late reply, if the VST is the issue I am not sure why, regardless, once setup all stereo audio will be upmixed to 5.1-7.1.
If you press the green up arrow next to upmixer, and analogue-digital, it will show and open their config panels.

Web browsers seem to output 6 channels, but sites like YouTube will populate only 2 of the channels.
Upmixers will see a total of 6 channels, so change 'inputChannelCount == 0 ' to 6.

Make sure you switch that back after YouTube, else 6 channel audio will be upmixed front.
I was talking about the VST plugin someone else provided on this thread not your config it works but it messes my channels up. With your config I can’t get any sound to upmix at all. I will message you.