• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Deck Owners Clubhouse

Do you plan to purchase a Steam Deck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I was certainly tempted, not just by the OLED but by the limited edition one. It looks super cool.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I was certainly tempted, not just by the OLED but by the limited edition one. It looks super cool.

I really think Valve did some of their fans wrong on this one, I mean all the rhetoric said the next Deck was 2-3 years out, we heard that repeatedly, that's what initially gave me the confidence to buy my Deck back in April. Just slightly over 6 months ago. I feel a little burned honestly, I can't imagine people that bought 1 or 2 months ago during the big sale they had, man talk about getting fucked.

I remember when I got my Samsung A53 phone then the A54 came out, Samsung directly offered me like a massive 250 discount on trade in to get the A54. This was like 11 months after I had bought the A53, respect cause it was actually a decent upgrade, better camera, chip, gps, etc.

im tempted to just lowball sell my Deck LCD and be done with Valve, I don't care that much about OLED, I just don't agree with the way they are treating their customers, mainly the ones who bought 1-2 months ago. They should have given some forewarning or took their LCD stock and expanded it to other countries and lowered prices for those countries, and so on, lot of options, but they chose to just fuck people.

Processor i9-11900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Alienware RTX 3090 OEM
Storage OEM Kioxia 2tb NVMe (OS), 4TB WD Blue HDD (games)
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance (black)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
you received it in 2 days?...I didn't see an option for over night shipping ,I ordered 2 minutes after they opened it up.
the UPS shipment tracker originally estimated the delivery on Monday, but I live half an hour away from the origin facility listed in the tracker.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I really think Valve did some of their fans wrong on this one, I mean all the rhetoric said the next Deck was 2-3 years out, we heard that repeatedly, that's what initially gave me the confidence to buy my Deck back in April. Just slightly over 6 months ago. I feel a little burned honestly, I can't imagine people that bought 1 or 2 months ago during the big sale they had, man talk about getting fucked.

I remember when I got my Samsung A53 phone then the A54 came out, Samsung directly offered me like a massive 250 discount on trade in to get the A54. This was like 11 months after I had bought the A53, respect cause it was actually a decent upgrade, better camera, chip, gps, etc.

im tempted to just lowball sell my Deck LCD and be done with Valve, I don't care that much about OLED, I just don't agree with the way they are treating their customers, mainly the ones who bought 1-2 months ago. They should have given some forewarning or took their LCD stock and expanded it to other countries and lowered prices for those countries, and so on, lot of options, but they chose to just fuck people.
You just did a complete 180 on Steam Deck in like two weeks.

just saw this myself.

brothers. gather around me.

for this is the greatest of days.

these are the days of glory itself!

@W1zzard inform the mods I will no longer cause them trouble, inform them the titans and gods have gathered one last time in the Halls of Eld and have given me what I have desired for ten thousand years!!!!!!!!!!

STEAM DECK OLED IS HERE BROTHERS!!!!!!!!

my body is ready for this glory of which no words can be said. as I wait for shipment, we shall play the greatest music ever in preparation:

THE DAYS OF PEACE HAVE ARRIVED BROTHERS, OLED CAN NOT BE DENIED!!!!!!!!! RELEASE THE DOVES!!! FOR OLED IS THE GLORY OF SPACE AND TIME COMBINED

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You just did a complete 180 on Steam Deck in like two weeks.

yep, had some time to think about it. and it's kind of a shit business practice when I look at other companies, hell even Nintendo let it leak that Switch 2 will be out in late 2024 pretty much, giving their customer base 18 months to decide. I didn't think that then, I was just excited it had released.

but yeah, thinking of selling all my valve shit, I don't agree with this type of business tactics. when you are behind Nintendo... that's pretty fucking bad. tbf lol

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
Samsung have the volume and can easily put a 1 generation behind smartphone into the enterprise market and make another big profit out of it since big company don't care that much about unit value when they order thousand of phones.
I think Valve didn't make it because it's really hard and costly to manage a lot of return, store them and wait for people to buy older generation device when the shiny new one is better with an oled didplay. Enterprise will not care if it's 1 generation behind.

yep, had some time to think about it. and it's kind of a shit business practice when I look at other companies, hell even Nintendo let it leak that Switch 2 will be out in late 2024 pretty much, giving their customer base 18 months to decide. I didn't think that then, I was just excited it had released.

but yeah, thinking of selling all my valve shit, I don't agree with this type of business tactics. when you are behind Nintendo... that's pretty fucking bad. tbf lol
There was leak about a new Valve device some month ago but it was hard to now if it was a new vr headset or something else. And millions of buyer will not heard about the switch 2 until they see an ad about it, and nintendo will without a doubt sell 10 times more switch 2 than Steam Deck in less than a year.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Samsung have the volume and can easily put a 1 generation behind smartphone into the enterprise market and make another big profit out of it since big company don't care that much about unit value when they order thousand of phones.
I think Valve didn't make it because it's really hard and costly to manage a lot of return, store them and wait for people to buy older generation device when the shiny new one is better with an oled didplay. Enterprise will not care if it's 1 generation behind.

There was leak about a new Valve device some month ago but it was hard to now if it was a new vr headset or something else. And millions of buyer will not heard about the switch 2 until they see an ad about it, and nintendo will without a doubt sell 10 times more switch 2 than Steam Deck in less than a year.

regarding the leak, I read all the websites too when that happened, and all the websites were directly saying it could be a wireless Index 2. as far as the supply chain stuff, Valve only has Deck's selling in like 4 countries at the moment, I can assure you they could have taken back restock of LCD trade in for a discount ala a Samsung like program and then opened though sells at a discounted price - maybe 300 Euro, and people would have bought them, cause Deck is hardly available anywhere right now, so I know they would have found buyers somewhere. I know its not that easy, but eh, they could have done it and still pulled a profit.

I am not super mad at Valve to be clear, just not sure I want to be a part of this ecosystem moving forward. I am happy with my desktop, it's all I need anyway, plus I am not reading as much as I used to cause of Deck in bed. I'd like to get back to reading and get the temptation of gaming out of my sight. so prob gonna sell my Valve collection soon and just move on with my life. possibly come back when Deck 2 releases, we will see.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Seeing how Valve has been known to refund people (to the Steam wallet, but still) the differences between sale prices when someone has purchased the Deck before it, introduced refurbished units at lower price level, has upgraded the lower tier to include bigger drive while keeping the price, replaced mid tier with better display/battery options I don't see how someone can say they're fucking people over on this.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Seeing how Valve has been known to refund people (to the Steam wallet, but still) the differences between sale prices when someone has purchased the Deck before it, introduced refurbished units at lower price level, has upgraded the lower tier to include bigger drive while keeping the price, replaced mid tier with better display/battery options I don't see how someone can say they're fucking people over on this.

I have not heard of a single person getting refunded that bought a Deck LCD two months ago or offered an upgrade path trade in to OLED model. Sony did same thing with PS5 slim, but allowed plenty of leaks to let us know a refresh of some kind was coming at least, all the rhetoric from valve was 2-3 years away... so different.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I have not heard of a single person getting refunded that bought a Deck LCD two months ago or offered an upgrade path trade in to OLED model. Sony did same thing with PS5 slim, but allowed plenty of leaks to let us know a refresh of some kind was coming at least, all the rhetoric from valve was 2-3 years away... so different.
To me it looks like you made a bad purchase decision and now trying to blame Valve for it. What Valve said holds true because there's no hardware out right now that would justify making a Steam Deck 2 but they haven't released Steam Deck 2, they added an OLED option to Steam Deck. Also:
1700471508083.png

Of course they aren't going to price match or refund purchases that are like 2 months+ old.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
I know i've asked a question but im seriously thinking of getting a handheld for pc games..
What makes steamdeck better than say asus and lenovo counterparts? Since they are more powerful.

I'm a typical pc guy where i prioritize performance over aesthetics and usability...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
To me it looks like you made a bad purchase decision and now trying to blame Valve for it. What Valve said holds true because there's no hardware out right now that would justify making a Steam Deck 2 but they haven't released Steam Deck 2, they added an OLED option to Steam Deck. Also:
View attachment 322354

Well I got my Steam Deck over 6 months ago and had countless hours of fun on it, so its less about me feeling left out and more I just disagree with the business practice of keeping it secret until launch day. They should have instead opened up the LCD model to more countries while announcing an OLED model was coming for only four countries, it wouldn't have been that hard to do really, hell Thermalright has like 3 official Amazon third party stores and uses their logistics.

I know i've asked a question but im seriously thinking of getting a handheld for pc games..
What makes steamdeck better than say asus and lenovo counterparts? Since they are more powerful.

I'm a typical pc guy where i prioritize performance over aesthetics and usability...

Really depends on your use case, how many games are Deck verified that you own, versus how many games are not that would play on the other systems? Then when you answer that question, we can get into the pros and cons of each device.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Really depends on your use case, how many games are Deck verified that you own, versus how many games are not that would play on the other systems? Then when you answer that question, we can get into the pros and cons of each device.
I have about 60 titles that are steam deck verified

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have about 60 titles that are steam deck verified

honestly not sure $600 is worth playing that few of titles. that being said, if there is a game you want to play that is not Deck Verified you can check here: most games actually do run on Deck ok that aren't Deck Verified:

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Well I got my Steam Deck over 6 months ago and had countless hours of fun on it, so its less about me feeling left out and more I just disagree with the business practice of keeping it secret until launch day. They should have instead opened up the LCD model to more countries while announcing an OLED model was coming for only four countries, it wouldn't have been that hard to do really, hell Thermalright has like 3 official Amazon third party stores and uses their logistics.
US, Canada, UK, and EU on Steam
You know EU is not a country?
1700473097119.png

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
ive got an honest question here for you all steam deck owners,
has the steam deck been used more often in your daily gaming schedule than say your laptop or desktop?

im thinking of buying one but at a later date
No it's still a secondary device for me, I use it at my parents house, in transport and sometimes at home. But since I don't use public transport and go to my parents like every month or so, it's not heavily use but I'm still really happy with it. Probably because it cost me ~250€ with the dock using the present card from my company. And don't forget that it can emulate up to the switch (but not the ps4 and xbox one)

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
I bought my Steam Deck less than six months ago, and I don't feel screwed at all. The OLED model would be nice, but I don't see a big enough reason to upgrade. If, for some reason, I need a second deck, then I will get an OLED version. As far as keeping it secret, I'm impressed. I think most companies want to keep it a secret when they are ready to launch a new product but fail to do so. I'm also sure some purposely create "LEAKS", most of the time that is to get people excited and create a buying frenzy.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687

1) Price. Valve subsidizes the price through steam game sales.
2) Software. Windows has a really bad UI for a handheld. I have heard but cannot confirm that both Asus and Lenovo have driver issues with their handhelds. The UI for Steam Deck is amazing.
3) Low power performance. The Steam Deck performs better than the Asus and Lenovo when running under 10w. If all you plan to play is demanding games like Cyperpunk or Balders gate, then Asus and Lenovo will have a little bit better performance but not by much. If you play older games or emulated games, then you can play at a lower power level with better performance and better battery life.
4) Track pads and gryo. I thought they were dumb and gimmicky when I got my steam deck. If you actually configure them per game they are almost as good as KBM in FPS games. I now think track pads and gryo are a must have feature for handhelds.

If you really want the absolute best performance for demanding games get an Asus or Lenovo. If you play games that have linux incompatible DRM, then get an Asus or Lenovo, or install Windows on the Deck. All are great handhelds.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
1) Price. Valve subsidizes the price through steam game sales.

don't forget, Valve makes a ton of money off of its trading card badge crafting phenomena (its insane how many badges and cards have been crafted and traded). this is literally just money they make out of thin air and probably by itself covered the Deck losses on cost and then some. another reason they have no excuse to not offer trade ins.

I bought my Steam Deck less than six months ago, and I don't feel screwed at all. The OLED model would be nice, but I don't see a big enough reason to upgrade. If, for some reason, I need a second deck, then I will get an OLED version. As far as keeping it secret, I'm impressed. I think most companies want to keep it a secret when they are ready to launch a new product but fail to do so. I'm also sure some purposely create "LEAKS", most of the time that is to get people excited and create a buying frenzy.

I didn't mean my comments to apply universally, just my observations of business decisions is all.

Processor i9-11900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Alienware RTX 3090 OEM
Storage OEM Kioxia 2tb NVMe (OS), 4TB WD Blue HDD (games)
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance (black)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
Half life on the steam deck is very fun, because the controls are great and so is the framerate. I highly recommend playing it.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
So, for those keeping their non-OLED, it is possible to find tiny OLED 7/10" and use it as external monitor ?.. good idea, yes ?