• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mantle API presentation by AMD, DICE and Oxide - AMD Summit 2013

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
From what I gather it's not. Mantle is it's own thing, like Driect X. Nvidia gets their architecture to work with Direct X, so does AMD. Nvidia just needs to make their architecture work with Mantle.

...unless I'm totally wrong, which is always a possibility.

So if we get open source Mantle, OpenCL will be consigned to history?

bwat47

No, OpenCL and Mantle are used for different things. OpenCL is more like an open source version of Nvidia's CUDA, its used for GPU Compute stuff. Mantle is more like OpenGL or DIrectX (but lower-level than directx).

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
I don't completely understand the difference between OpenGL, OpenCL, DirectX, Mantle, etc.... It makes me wonder how this shifting of rendering methods will be effected if a substantial amount of gamers go to Linux with SteamOS on top of Android's OS exploding.

CD2 Solutions

I don't completely understand the difference between OpenGL, OpenCL, DirectX, Mantle, etc.... It makes me wonder how this shifting of rendering methods will be effected if a substantial amount of gamers go to Linux with SteamOS on top of Android's OS exploding.

with any luck, mantle will move to the ARM powered sectors too.

openGL directx and mantle are all used to make graphics engines and games easier to make for a wide variety of hardware. without them, a developer would need to make a different version of the game for EVERY graphics chip out there, something that is frankly ludicrous. by using a graphics api, it gives the developer a wider coverage, only having to adjust a little for different architectures (amd cards from the 7xxx series for example share the same basic architecture).

openCL does a similar thing, but its for compute tasks like video conversions.
mantle is open as well, so a linux version will just require porting. how long that will take i dont know, but with a company like valve behind it.........

PS: i hope you werent being sarcastic lol. either way, somebody who doesnt know will read this.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
with any luck, mantle will move to the ARM powered sectors too.

openGL directx and mantle are all used to make graphics engines and games easier to make for a wide variety of hardware. without them, a developer would need to make a different version of the game for EVERY graphics chip out there, something that is frankly ludicrous. by using a graphics api, it gives the developer a wider coverage, only having to adjust a little for different architectures (amd cards from the 7xxx series for example share the same basic architecture).

openCL does a similar thing, but its for compute tasks like video conversions.
mantle is open as well, so a linux version will just require porting. how long that will take i dont know, but with a company like valve behind it.........

PS: i hope you werent being sarcastic lol. either way, somebody who doesnt know will read this.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. My experience with Graphics APi's has been, well this runs on Direct X 9 so it generally looks so-good. Where as some of the games i have seen on DX11 look pretty amazing. All I know is what I experience in different games(varying based on developer/execution).

Thank you for the explanation.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I think the best synonym for Mantle is x86. I believe Mantle exposes a set of instructions software can use directly in the GPU instead of going through layers of APIs. As long as the GPU supports those instructions (I highly doubt NVIDIA and Intel do but they can add it in future silicon), Mantle will work.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Well, SteamBox idea isn't stupid you know. I have my Lian Li placed in a living room right now and it looks like it belongs there from day one. It doesn't even look much as a PC in a smaller black ion platted case. It looks more like a HiFi component.

So bottom line, for SteamBox it's all about what they pack in it. For countless indie games on Steam, you really don't need much of a hardware. Any half decent AMD Fusion system could do the job at 1080p. For high end games, it really depends.

I've also tried Big Screen Steam and it looks rather nice. So, clearly, there is a potential.

no one really sits in front of a 42-50" living room telly checking facebook and playing peggle(thats why we sit with pads/phones),, they have consoles and its consoles that they (steambox's)have to contend with in performance terms,at least imho and as good as open Gl is I think Steam need to climb aboard the HSA / Mantle train ,to optimise there bang for buck with Amd based steambox's.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
no one really sits in front of a 42-50" living room telly checking facebook and playing peggle(thats why we sit with pads/phones),, they have consoles and its consoles that they (steambox's)have to contend with in performance terms,at least imho and as good as open Gl is I think Steam need to climb aboard the HSA / Mantle train ,to optimise there bang for buck with Amd based steambox's.

I think Valve just needs get something on Debian based Linux and let developers decide which makes better use of end-hardware, and in turn let development of games drive which gets used more.

I do? I have my BlackBox rigged to 42 inch LCD and i do everything on it right now. Did increase the DPI to see smalls tuff easier...

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Open standard doesn't mean anything if GCN is the only architecture able to support Mantle.
From what I gather it's not. Mantle is it's own thing, like Driect X. Nvidia gets their architecture to work with Direct X, so does AMD. Nvidia just needs to make their architecture work with Mantle.

...unless I'm totally wrong, which is always a possibility.

You are correct, the code that is there currently only supports GCN, all you have to do is to include code for other architectures, it has nothing to do with GCN code already sitting beside it, Nvidia would have to include and develop code from scratch, AMD will in any case have at least 2 years of advantage, possibly more if Nvidia is arrogant enough to not take this seriously, which looking at it's history, probably will happen.

I don't believe Khronos is the best group to oversee something like Mantle considering they have done a miserable job keeping OpenGL updated and running properly...

I fully agree with that. That was a terrible thing to ask. Since the Mantle presentations i've been on several public chats and extensively discussed Mantle with OGL community people, even they aren't happy with Khronos at all.

Depends to what low level the GPU gets unlocked, let's not forget this is not 100% like on consoles, it's still some abstraction going on, but I do think that these tasks can be done manutally via Mantle anyways, and if it's lower level it might be even better than with OpenCL which is supposably higher-level, however Carmack pointed out how Nvidia is quick to include new OGL/OCL extensions for devs, I don't think I am suitable to discuss this more than this, I do not have full understanding.

It makes me wonder how this shifting of rendering methods will be effected if a substantial amount of gamers go to Linux with SteamOS on top of Android's OS exploding.

That is not certain, SteamOS is now more tied to Nvidia's OGL polish, the efficiency and performance of Linux OS alone probably will not be enough to beat Mantle on windows. The most powerful available (not possible, because everything is possible if you want to make it, talking about in present time) combination in the industry will is Mantle and Linux.

Android OS is irrelevant.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
The only way it seems to tell which approach is better, is to watch AMD and see if they can reclaim the performance crown with Mantle and AMD CPUs while nvidia sticks with intel CPUs and uses OpenGL/Linux approach.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Its all smoke and mirrors until W1zz reviews. Also did I just read Android OS is irrelevant? I sure hope your kidding.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
The only way it seems to tell which approach is better, is to watch AMD and see if they can reclaim the performance crown with Mantle and AMD CPUs while nvidia sticks with intel CPUs and uses OpenGL/Linux approach.

Mantle's development was primarily GPU oriented. It only frees up CPU cycles in the process due to being less dependent on the CPU by extension of more GPU efficiency. There should be no change in how AMD CPUs fare against Intel's under Mantle.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I think Valve just needs get something on Debian based Linux and let developers decide which makes better use of end-hardware, and in turn let development of games drive which gets used more.
you know whilst i implied it as a recomendation my opinion is that valve Are working on utilising mantle and hsa
Mantle's development was primarily GPU oriented. It only frees up CPU cycles in the process due to being less dependent on the CPU by extension of more GPU efficiency. There should be no change in how AMD CPUs fare against Intel's under Mantle.

Whilst initially id expect what your saying to hold out i dont think that will remain true with time ,who after all knows Amd's 64bit arch and instruction set best , plus Mantle is like the very tip of the corner(just 1) of a pyramid Amd are trying to construct with us the end user at the top utilising Various Dsp's cpu's(inc arch variance) GPu's in every day ways easily and faster ,mantle is undoubtabely tied into Hsa due to Amd leaning toward APu's and an Amd Apu runs code optimised for an amd cpu better then intels so that initial parity (still enhanced for both) wont last.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Example of what Mantle would improve, in terms of CPU.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Whilst initially id expect what your saying to hold out i dont think that will remain true with time ,who after all knows Amd's 64bit arch and instruction set best...

Except that AMD are smart enough thus far to have acknowledged that best case scenario is an abstraction layer as thin and universally seamless as possible, while still getting performance gains worthwhile enough to even pursue such a project. Otherwise the same thing will happen that happened with Glide. I think those overly enthusiastic about Mantle don't always realize the amount of caution Mantle's development was approached with, and I'm sure it has to do with the fact that is was requested by devs, vs initiated in house for AMD's exclusive benefit.

I'm sure the devs requesting it would rather the benefits of using it not be so drastically skewed to one side of their customer base. The common scenario and difference between games that sell well and those that don't is not how many are willing to buy it, but how many refuse to, and things like skewed performance can certainly cause the latter. There are ALWAYS going to be hardcore gamers whom have to have the latest titles, what differs is how many there are that cry foul and say not me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Example of what Mantle would improve, in terms of CPU.

Or Blizzard could make their engine use more than 1 thread, which would completely remove the CPU bottleneck.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
LOL, yeah single threading on games that are more data than graphics intense is really stupid anyway.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Except that AMD are smart enough thus far to have acknowledged that best case scenario is an abstraction layer as thin and universally seamless as possible, while still getting performance gains worthwhile enough to even pursue such a project. Otherwise the same thing will happen that happened with Glide. I think those overly enthusiastic about Mantle don't always realize the amount of caution Mantle's development was approached with, and I'm sure it has to do with the fact that is was requested by devs, vs initiated in house for AMD's exclusive benefit.

I'm sure the devs requesting it would rather the benefits of using it not be so drastically skewed to one side of their customer base. The common scenario and difference between games that sell well and those that don't is not how many are willing to buy it, but how many refuse to, and things like skewed performance can certainly cause the latter. There are ALWAYS going to be hardcore gamers whom have to have the latest titles, what differs is how many there are that cry foul and say not me.

I think you do not understand how much pressure has been made on the industry to get rid of API limitations on the PC. It is understandable, you have not researched and followed this as long as I was, there is still historical information available if you dig it. It is more of an insider-thing that doesn't creep out heavily in the mainstream gaming media, the naysayers are irrelevant noob-developers who show clear signs of enthusiastic-beginners, who use their novelty and instant-hit factor to influence the media which supercharges the exposure of these opinions they spew out.

While john carmack was a big part of these talks to get better development environment on PC, his priorities have been "compromised" (cannot criticize subjectively, he made no promises, his right to choose) by VR technology to the point his existing situation started to crumble apart, he is now considered totally irrelevant in this cause, he currently does not develop any game engine code, but I do not know if he has any contacts with the GPU vendors, if anything most probably VR-specific.

There will be no educated customer that would refuse to buy a mantle game purely based on opinion constructed with technical details. As an AMD engineer already said, Mantle's success is mostly limited by political and economical issues that may arise, for example, developers that wouldn't afford to be present in the transition period, or wouldn't believe it's a worthy enough thing, those mostly are irrelevant developer studios who have little influence on the shape of the industry, they are not required to be a part of the transition period.

Or Blizzard could make their engine use more than 1 thread, which would completely remove the CPU bottleneck.

You are wrong.

1. All DX applications have multi-threading utilization limitations.
  2. It would not completely remove the bottleneck.
  3. Starcraft 2 is not running on only 1 core, it does on 2, (but that's not real mutlithreading still, draw and physics probably run on one, and Ai on the other, overall it's not anywhere compared to some top FPS games.)
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/08/18/how-many-cpu-cores-does-starcraft-2-use/1

First of all, the bottleneck always exists, it's just much higher in the performance graph, you will hit that bottleneck if you use the extra performance for more Ai, physics and other gameplay things.

Once games utilize this extra performance, the noticable boost gap will be lowered and eventually become nonexistant as the Ai, graphics and other things will consume this performance naturally, but this will take a few years.

The complexity of PC games will increase considerably in this transition to a new API, until another big increase comes, that might be quantum micro-chip technology.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
personally im not interested in a link to another thread on another forum with people bickering about mantle, I have that right here at home on TPU and since the name 8ball means nowt to me some context might have been helpfull

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
personally im not interested in a link to another thread on another forum with people bickering about mantle, I have that right here at home on TPU and since the name 8ball means nowt to me some context might have been helpfull

What are you saying, I haven't linked any thread to the stuff you mentioned, I linked to a post, and if you can't read who made that post than that's unfortunate for you. That post is a major indicator, now, those who don't understand mantle from the get go, obviously won't find this a big deal, this is news, but ofcourse, I don't really care what mainstream shit news decide to be "newsworthy".

After all this, I'm not really in a mood to bring up stuff for lazy people on a silver plate, I don't have any intention anymore to deeply discuss mantle with mantle haters/doubters/downplayers. I've exhausted what I meant in the 9 pages of this thread.

And who's 8ball ? It's 8 pack and if you checked a little more down you would see it's a staff member, and if you'd check the thread for info without paying attention to worthless posts than you'd know that someone from OCUK was at the AMD Summit and was rumored to be in the shown the closed demo from Oxide.

I have no trouble explaining, I have trouble because you lazy people expect it like I'm some kind of public service here.

Last edited:
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
What are you saying, I haven't linked any thread to the stuff you mentioned, I linked to a post, and if you can't read who made that post than that's unfortunate for you. That post is a major indicator, now, those who don't understand mantle from the get go, obviously won't find this a big deal, this is news, but ofcourse, I don't really care what mainstream shit news decide to be "newsworthy".

After all this, I'm not really in a mood to bring up stuff for lazy people on a silver plate, I don't have any intention anymore to deeply discuss mantle with mantle haters/doubters/downplayers. I've exhausted what I meant in the 9 pages of this thread.

And who's 8ball ? It's 8 pack and if you checked a little more down you would see it's a staff member, and if you'd check the thread for info without paying attention to worthless posts than you'd know that someone from OCUK was at the AMD Summit and was rumored to be in the shown the closed demo from Oxide.

I have no trouble explaining, I have trouble because you lazy people expect it like I'm some kind of public service here.
So my point was I don't know the guy and lazy I read a fair bit of that thread but your second post described it how you should have been wrote the first , why cryptic and why point to a vague dude all vague but not now thanks oh and im no mantle hater

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
OpenCL won't go anywhere, its here for totally different reasons - direct compute, meaning the gpu is used for normal computing, not just for graphics.
OpenCL provides parallel computing using task-based and data-based parallelism.

To some that still don't know, Mantle's only role is to have a thin layer between game and gpu, it can access all gpu features and much more beyond dx11.2 specifications.
Performance impact is minimal, it can have up to 100.000 directdraw calls @16ms which is 60fps, directx11 is capped at max ~ 12-16000 @ 16ms on average., openGL with bindless extensions up to 25000 calls. Consoles usually from 35000-50000 up to 100.000 or more.

So now you can have the same gfx detail and faster gameplay or richer worlds with more detail at steady 16ms - Im thinking CGI type of gfx.

Also it doesnt matter if a game uses lets say openCL physics or cuda physx DLL for physics simulations, it will coexist with this api just like direcX or openGL is now.

Anyway Mantle will rock you will see! :D

More devs need to step up, ie U4E, Luminous, Glacier2, Cryengine already is to some degree - it will be supported in Star Citizen, etc..

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I think you do not understand how much pressure has been made on the industry to get rid of API limitations on the PC. It is understandable, you have not researched and followed this as long as I was, there is still historical information available if you dig it. It is more of an insider-thing that doesn't creep out heavily in the mainstream gaming media, the naysayers are irrelevant noob-developers who show clear signs of enthusiastic-beginners, who use their novelty and instant-hit factor to influence the media which supercharges the exposure of these opinions they spew out.

While john carmack was a big part of these talks to get better development environment on PC, his priorities have been "compromised" (cannot criticize subjectively, he made no promises, his right to choose) by VR technology to the point his existing situation started to crumble apart, he is now considered totally irrelevant in this cause, he currently does not develop any game engine code, but I do not know if he has any contacts with the GPU vendors, if anything most probably VR-specific.

There will be no educated customer that would refuse to buy a mantle game purely based on opinion constructed with technical details. As an AMD engineer already said, Mantle's success is mostly limited by political and economical issues that may arise, for example, developers that wouldn't afford to be present in the transition period, or wouldn't believe it's a worthy enough thing, those mostly are irrelevant developer studios who have little influence on the shape of the industry, they are not required to be a part of the transition period.

I find it odd after all the people that have pointed out things you're not aware of or understanding of in this thread you still insist we're clueless. No one knows the exact numbers percentage wise of devs in the industry that have made a specific request for AMD or anyone else to come up with an alternative to Direct3D, and I'm sure most of them, unlike you, are understanding of the fact that if not implemented carefully, the same thing could happen that did with Glide. You keep glossing over that. Like I said earlier, you're ignorant of history in the industry in this regard. If you can't even grasp that simple concept, then no, you have not in fact "researched" this so well. I find it odd you'd even use the word research as naive as you sound.

If you had a shred of sense you'd angle this thread toward things that AMD/DICE have done to ensure Mantle will not suffer the same fate as Glide, but instead you insist it's a non issue. There really isn't enough proof that they've done much to make devs think Nvidia and their customers will support this, and THAT'S what matters most, not your narrow minded perception. If all that mattered were the opinions of a few naive AMD fanboys there'd be nothing to worry about, but there's a whole lot more to it than that. You keep insisting we're pessimistic skeptics. No, we're just realists that aren't easily convinced by a few stage presentations.

Last edited by a moderator: