• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor Core i5-4440
Motherboard Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
Memory 8 GB DDR3-2400 CL11
Video Card(s) GTX 760 2GB
Navi is the first AMD GPU that did not disappoint in recent years but still I would pick 2060 Super over 5700XT any day. it might be slightly slower but it is more efficient, more overclockable, runs cooler and supports RT. I wonder what will happen to GPUs that lack RT support after next gen consoles appear next year. will they become completely useless? as Digital foundry mentioned about ray tracing in their review " You will have two consoles out there with ray tracing support and console utilization of that feature means what is now an interesting value added effect, transforms into part of the base design for multi format games, I kinda want this feature in a GPU I'm buying today".

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB DDR4 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 Mini
Storage OCZ Toshiba RD 400 256Gb NVMe + Crucial MX 500 2TB SATA3
Case Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5
Yeah right, everyone was expecting a 5% deficit at least. That it has a 5% lead is a massive turn up for the books.

Custom cards will be the way to go.
No, it was fairly obvious from the start that the XT would perform more or less in line with the vanilla 2070 (and thus a tad faster than the 2060S). The way things stand now, I can't think of a single reason to go for the red card which is clearly inferior feature-wise and runs red-hot out of the box with literally no extra room for overclocking. Zen 2 CPUs, on the other hand, appear a really strong product, so it's quite likely my next build will be an AMD+Nvidia combo for the first time in my life.

Processor Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE
Display(s) ASUS PG43UQ
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 7
The charts need to highlight the Supers, not the 2070. Unfair to compare to last year's model, not the current one.

Giving an overpriced card like 2060 Super gold award while again asking for a lower price for a card that kicks it's ass.

İmo AMD should once again stop sending review samples to TPU for while.
Being literally 10 TIMES twice (kudos to jabbadap for explaining how the loudness scale works) louder under load than RTX 2070S is simply unacceptable by itself, I think. This may well get fixed once AIB versions are available, but the card appears unsellable to me as is.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
The charts need to highlight the Supers, not the 2070. Unfair to compare to last year's model, not the current one.

Not unfair from a price perspective, and 2070s are still available to purchase, so they're a legitimate contender to this card.

Nvidia will have to lower the price of available 2070 stock, pointless to buy a 2070 at a higher price than 5700XT, unless all you care about is RTX, but still, from a price/performance point of view, that card was just annihilated by the 5700XT.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 158293

Hmm... Struggling on ordering 50th Anniversary Edition, or waiting for Sapphire custom card in a while... decisions, decisions...

Overall slower than the new 2070 Super, but also cheaper!

It will depend on the sales we catch on both brands and the importance or not that each one will give to the Ray Tracing factor.

As happened with Vega 56 vs. Vega 64, the 5700 XT seems to have been stretched beyond its sweet spot, the 5700 in performance/watt is a lot better!

Overall, solid cards from AMD and more or less matching Turing efficiency, despite the 7nm vs 12nm situation.

Interestingly, now, unlike what some people did with the RTX Super, no one complains about AMD showing the middle finger to the Radeon VII owners. A $699 card with 5 months of market and now is virtually irrelevant to a $399 card.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Overall slower than the new 2070 Super, but also cheaper!

It will depend on the sales we catch on both brands and the importance or not that each one will give to the Ray Tracing factor.

As happened with Vega 56 vs. Vega 64, the 5700 XT seems to have been stretched beyond its sweet spot, the 5700 in performance/watt is a lot better!

Overall, solid cards from AMD and more or less matching Turing efficiency, despite the 7nm vs 12nm situation.

Interestingly, now, unlike what some people did with the RTX Super, no one complains about AMD showing the middle finger to the Radeon VII owners. A $699 card that is 5 months of market and now is virtually irrelevant to a $399 card.

Gotta agree with that, the Radeon VII was always a Halo product based on a now obsolete architecture, the performance is there, but at the wrong price.

Getting desperate huh? No, it's not unfair when you look at the PRICE of each of these cards.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It's a good thing these are cheaper.

Slower than the super by 10%... more power use, louder, no RT (whatever that is worth).

2060 super is 5% slower and a lot cheaper uses way less power has RT, etc..

Edit: How pricing is listed here is ridiculous though....gotta go msrp as listing the 'cheapest you can find it'means little to the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
It's a good thing these are cheaper.

Slower than the super by 10%... more power use, louder, no RT (whatever that is worth).

Honestly, I am excited, like really happy for them. Both Zen2 as well. Though TBH I am looking at the numbers in a diff light. AMD may be behind yet still. but IMO the gap closure since ZEN is significant. Mind you they have been more than 10% behind since like what 2007? earlier? This is a win IMO even if they arent stormtrooping Intel or nvidias offerings. We are witnessing them as a company get much stronger. I am not even saying they will ever beat Intel or AMD, but the competition this will offer will do the market as a whole a favor.

Specifically OEMs and Server space I am talking about. Gamers and Enthusiasts always want the "Best" and rarely settle for second. But Dell saving $40-$100 per unit when they produce tens of thousands of a specific model per quarter is significant. And your brother in law doesn't give a shit he only plays farmville.

Not you @EarthDog specifically, but just a disclosure before anyone is dumb enough to quote me for bias you should really check my system specs.

Being literally 10 TIMES louder under load than RTX 2070S is simply unacceptable by itself, I think. This may well get fixed once AIB versions are available, but the card appears unsellable to me as is.

Decibels does not work that way. But yeah too many weak points to win any awards. Custom AIB models will definitely win a couple: quieter, drivers will be more mature, OC will be actually possible etc. After Radeon VII three fan design, blower reference card is a annoying step backwards.

10x the wattage for 2x the appeared loudness is I believe how it works.

Honestly, I am excited, like really happy for them. Both Zen2 as well. Though TBH I am looking at the numbers in a diff light. AMD may be behind yet still. but IMO the gap closure since ZEN is significant. Mind you they have been more than 10% behind since like what 2007? earlier? This is a win IMO even if they arent stormtrooping Intel or nvidias offerings. We are witnessing them as a company get much stronger. I am not even saying they will ever beat Intel or AMD, but the competition this will offer will do the market as a whole a favor.

Specifically OEMs and Server space I am talking about. Gamers and Enthusiasts always want the "Best" and rarely settle for second. But Dell saving $40-$100 per unit when they produce tens of thousands of a specific model per quarter is significant. And your brother in law doesn't give a shit he only plays farmville.

Not you @EarthDog specifically, but just a disclosure before anyone is dumb enough to quote me for bias you should really check my system specs.
the CPUs are huge.... they just cant overclock worth a hoot. Not a big deal...

The gpus are lack luster... and the way that the pricing is listed here, IMO, really isnt fair to anyone. MSRP vs. 'current lowest' pricing. Let the reader go look for pricing for their own country and use like values in MSRP. If he wants, he can list current lowest pricing with a link and get some skimbit love too...best of both worlds.

No, it was fairly obvious from the start that the XT would perform more or less in line with the vanilla 2070 (and thus a tad faster than the 2060S). The way things stand now, I can't think of a single reason to go for the red card which is clearly inferior feature-wise and runs red-hot out of the box with literally no extra room for overclocking. Zen 2 CPUs, on the other hand, appear a really strong product, so it's quite likely my next build will be an AMD+Nvidia combo for the first time in my life.

No, no no don't give me that bullcr*p, when AMD showed performance comparable to the 2070 initially literally everyone was expecting it to be a few percent slower in reality or clearly slower, not faster. That is a punch to the throat of all the Nvidia fanboys that were gloating already that Navi couldn't compete with Turing let alone the Turing refresh.

Well here's news for you guys - it doesn't just compete with Turing, it beats it decisively in performance! :clap:

Last edited:
No, no no don't give me that bullcr*p, when AMD showed performance comparable to the 2070 initially literally everyone was expecting it to be a few percent slower in reality or clearly slower, not 5% faster. That is a punch to the throat of all the Nvidia fanboys that were gloating already that Navi couldn't compete with Turing let alone the Turing refresh.

Well here's news for you guys - it doesn't just compete with Turing, it beats it decisively in performance! :clap:
Read the review man.. the XT is 2% faster at 2560x1440 on average. 1% at 1080p... I'd call that margin of error... but it's not 5% (unless I missed some context) compared to the 2070... it is 5% faster than the 2060 super which costs the same (not msrp though).

Edit their slide showed it FASTER...

Last edited:
Decibels does not work that way. But yeah too many weak points to win any awards. Custom AIB models will definitely win a couple: quieter, drivers will be more mature, OC will be actually possible etc. After Radeon VII three fan design, blower reference card is a annoying step backwards.
From what I know, we're talking about the decimal logarithm scale here, where a 10-point increase corresponds to a change in sound pressure by a factor of 10.
I do hope that non-reference Navi cards will end up more compelling. While I'm an Nvidia user, it's always nice for consumers to see some real competition.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Look at that ungimped (yeah, don't pretend there's not a ton of nvidia gimping in a lot games) performance O_O If this doesn't impress you, then idk what to say.

System Name Intel and AMD Gamers
Processor I9-9900k@5 Ghz ;5900x
Motherboard ASrock Z390 Taichi; MSI X570 Unify
Cooling Kraken X72: Custom WC Optimus wb 480+360 rads
Memory 32g DDR4-3200 Flare-X;32g DDR4-3600 Gskill
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX2080TI XC :RX 6950 XT with EK full wb
Storage Corsair MP500-480g NVme and 960 SanDisc ssd;Sabrent NvME4-1tb(OS) Sabrent Nvme3-2tb
Display(s) Acer ET430k;Samsung 49" 5120x1440
Case ThermalTake V51;Fractal Define 7XL
Audio Device(s) Logitech external speakers
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 950W Silencer;PC Power & Cooling MK III Silencer 1200 W
Mouse Logitech G 502
Keyboard CM QuickFire Storm Rapid
Software Win 10- 64
Especially with the latest price drop, the AMD gpus are now competitive with Nvidia in the mid to upper range.

From what I know, we're talking about the decimal logarithm scale here, where a 10-point increase corresponds to a change in sound pressure by a factor of 10.
I do hope that non-reference Navi cards will end up more compelling. While I'm an Nvidia user, it's always nice for consumers to see some real competition.

Sound pressure is doubling every +6dBA. Human hearing psychoacoustic loudness is doubling every 10dBA. So 10dBA more is twice as loud.

Read the review man.. the XT is 2% faster at 2560x1440 on average. 1% at 1080p... I'd call that margin of error... but it's not 5% (unless I missed some context) compared to the 2070... it is 5% faster than the 2060 super which costs the same (not msrp though).

Edit their slide showed it FASTER...

It's still faster than the 2070. Point still stands, people were expecting 5-10% slower for sure.

It's still faster than the 2070. Point still stands, people were expecting 5-10% slower for sure.
They were??? I know some said they were cherry picked... and judging by tpus results, their slides are a coupe percent faster... so there is some truth to it.

1-2%... beats decidedly... thanks for the chuckle. :)

Last edited:
Sound pressure is doubling every +6dBA. Human hearing psychoacoustic loudness is doubling every 10dBA. So 10dBA more is twice as loud.
Thanks for the info, always nice to learn something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.