• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

I didn't realize CS:GO was that CPU dependent.
You mean GPU dependent? I think the RAM working properly may also have helped. By the way I received the 24GB of ram, I'm going to try that now. The 10% CPU usage was only while watching 4k60 Youtube videos ( not sure if my previous message was clear after reading it again ) and I had a few other programs opened so it seems like the GPU is doing all the work

System Name Terminator T3500
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 4GHz
Motherboard Dell T3500
Cooling Deepcool Gammax 400
Memory 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB
Storage 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Display(s) Acer H233H - 1920x1080 75Hz
Case Corsair Carbide Spec-01
Audio Device(s) Kinter MA-170
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
I'm kind of surprised about such high GPU usage when playing 4k60 Youtube...I tested on my RX 580 quick and get 30-35% usage, same with CPU. I don't pay much attention to these things though, honestly. And my internet sucks so bad I wouldn't dream of streaming 4k60 anything...I am lucky to get unbuffered 720p lol

You mean GPU dependent?
No, I meant what I said. With a strong performing GPU CPU usage is low, with a weaker GPU, CPU usage is high. This indicates a balance but shows that if some code is not handled by the GPU is gets shifted to the CPU to run in software. Thus high CPU usage with your RX570 and very low CPU usage with your 3060ti. However...
The 10% CPU usage was only while watching 4k60 Youtube videos ( not sure if my previous message was clear after reading it again ) and I had a few other programs opened so it seems like the GPU is doing all the work
...given this statement, the results seem unclear.

By the way I received the 24GB of ram, I'm going to try that now.
Let us know how that goes for you.

I'm kind of surprised about such high GPU usage when playing 4k60 Youtube...I tested on my RX 580 quick and get 30-35% usage, same with CPU. I don't pay much attention to these things though, honestly. And my internet sucks so bad I wouldn't dream of streaming 4k60 anything...I am lucky to get unbuffered 720p lol
I tested after wondering why my fans were so noisy while watching vids, even with 4k30 the CPU was at 40%
You can see if your GPU is decoding the vids in the task manager if you're on Windows 10, there should be a "video decode" graph. You seem to have way better results than I had

No, I meant what I said. With a strong performing GPU CPU usage is low, with a weaker GPU, CPU usage is high. This indicates a balance but shows that if some code is not handled by the GPU is gets shifted to the CPU to run in software. Thus high CPU usage with your RX570 and very low CPU usage with your 3060ti. However...

...given this statement, the results seem unclear.

Let us know how that goes for you.
Sorry for the confusion, I edited the post. I just checked the CPU usage on CS:GO, I get around 20-25% at 4k max settings. I will have better data if I manage to make the Afterburner overlays work

System Name Terminator T3500
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 4GHz
Motherboard Dell T3500
Cooling Deepcool Gammax 400
Memory 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB
Storage 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Display(s) Acer H233H - 1920x1080 75Hz
Case Corsair Carbide Spec-01
Audio Device(s) Kinter MA-170
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
I tested after wondering why my fans were so noisy while watching vids, even with 4k30 the CPU was at 40%
You can see if your GPU is decoding the vids in the task manager if you're on Windows 10, there should be a "video decode" graph. You seem to have way better results than I had
I can only guess because my RX 580 is more powerful than the RX 570, and since you say there isn't support for Youtube's encoder, or whatever (don't know much about streaming formats or anything), and maybe it's just "brute forcing" . I also haven't used an Nvidia card in forever...GTX 780 was my most recent. Have you done any benchmarking with your system to see if the platform is holding back your new GPU at all? Actually...I still don't recommend benchmarking until you have your power cable(s) lol That's just me though. Also...have you considered any other mods or upgrades to your system? I have been meaning to order PCIe SATA 3.0 and PCIe USB 3.0 cards...but have had more important things to spend on. But that's another popular upgrade for these machines to "modernize" them a bit. You can probably replace that stock CPU cooler eventually too, if you wanted to look into Throttlestop overclocking your machine at some point (super easy to do). You should easily be able to run 4+GHz on all cores, but probably not with the stock CPU cooler. The Deepcool Gammax I am using is probably too tall for your T3500 case, but it's easy to measure how much clearance you have. You do have to remove the backplate from the motherboard to install an aftermarket cooler though, well...not always, but if you want to use the mounting hardware the aftermarket cooler will come with, you do.

EDIT - searching for T3500 related info brought me to one of my old posts on overclock.net that tells me I have been using my T3500 motherboard for over 5 years now, maybe longer. It's been one of my best machines. I bought the motherboard on Ebay for $60 CAN and built my entire PC around it. It's also been the most "budget" main PC I've had. I've had a few higher end computers, with custom watercooling, case mods, etc., and this is still my fav build for some reason. Perhaps because it started from scraps and has been faithful ever since.

Here's an older pic of my rig with an AIO cooler, and Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 as rad and CASE fans, and shortly after that, the fans on the 290x I had bit the dust, and I strapped three 93x38mm server fans to it lol Also...I definitely had to mod this case to fit the motherboard, but if I can recall, all I did was drill out the rivets and removed the 5.25" bays, and cut the 3.5" bays way down to almost nothing. Also, I believe that is an XFX 780i board from way back sitting beside it...pretty sure it had 8GB of those awesome 1066MHz Corsair Dominators in it, the ones with the tall heatsinks on them and blue sticker.

fgjghfjghfhjghfj.jpg

Last edited:
I can only guess because my RX 580 is more powerful than the RX 570, and since you say there isn't support for Youtube's encoder, or whatever (don't know much about streaming formats or anything), and maybe it's just "brute forcing" . I also haven't used an Nvidia card in forever...GTX 780 was my most recent. Have you done any benchmarking with your system to see if the platform is holding back your new GPU at all? Actually...I still don't recommend benchmarking until you have your power cable(s) lol That's just me though. Also...have you considered any other mods or upgrades to your system? I have been meaning to order PCIe SATA 3.0 and PCIe USB 3.0 cards...but have had more important things to spend on. But that's another popular upgrade for these machines to "modernize" them a bit. You can probably replace that stock CPU cooler eventually too, if you wanted to look into Throttlestop overclocking your machine at some point (super easy to do). You should easily be able to run 4+GHz on all cores, but probably not with the stock CPU cooler. The Deepcool Gammax I am using is probably too tall for your T3500 case, but it's easy to measure how much clearance you have. You do have to remove the backplate from the motherboard to install an aftermarket cooler though, well...not always, but if you want to use the mounting hardware the aftermarket cooler will come with, you do.

EDIT - searching for T3500 related info brought me to one of my old posts on overclock.net that tells me I have been using my T3500 motherboard for over 5 years now, maybe longer. It's been one of my best machines. I bought the motherboard on Ebay for $60 CAN and built my entire PC around it. It's also been the most "budget" main PC I've had. I've had a few higher end computers, with custom watercooling, case mods, etc., and this is still my fav build for some reason. Perhaps because it started from scraps and has been faithful ever since.
I didn't try any benchmark yet, my 6pin adapter should arrive on Monday with two 92mm fans for the heatsink, hopefully that will allow a bit of overclocking. According to this guy, the RTX3060 should be a good match for these CPUs without bottleneck ( from 8min30 )

I'm looking into adding PCI cards, I already bought a firewire one to use my old TC Electronic mixer and I definitely need to add an USB3 front panel, probably this one https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/produc...b-20-usb-30-card-rea-5838421?supplier=4867603

I also need to add storage, I should have a PCI slot left to add a SATA3 or M.2 adapter card, I have to look into this.

Glad to know yours has been running well for so long, I'm really happy with mine as well despite the memory issue I had. It never crashed since I have it. I hope it will survive at least another decade, the RAM sticks I just bought still have warranty until 2044 :D

I didn't try any benchmark yet, my 6pin adapter should arrive on Monday with two 92mm fans for the heatsink, hopefully that will allow a bit of overclocking. According to this guy, the RTX3060 should be a good match for these CPUs without bottleneck ( from 8min30 )

I'm looking into adding PCI cards, I already bought a firewire one to use my old TC Electronic mixer and I definitely need to add an USB3 front panel, probably this one https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/produc...b-20-usb-30-card-rea-5838421?supplier=4867603

I also need to add storage, I should have a PCI slot left to add a SATA3 or M.2 adapter card, I have to look into this.

Glad to know yours has been running well for so long, I'm really happy with mine as well despite the memory issue I had. It never crashed since I have it. I hope it will survive at least another decade, the RAM sticks I just bought still have warranty until 2044 :D
Brian shows that the 6core 1366 CPU's are still a solid platform.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Thanks, I didn't try the new card yet as I was waiting for the adapters and fans but I think I will give it a try tonight. Did you upgrade the CPU cooler on your T3500?
Nope. Have found the stock Dell heatpipe heatsink (part #U016F) to be more than adequate with an 80mm attached. W3680 overclocked to 4.0ghz. Forgive me if I missed it before. Have you removed yours and reapplied new thermal paste?

True. The Dell 525w PSU can actually sustain 610W output, but it's not something you'd want to do long term.
Yup. Dell PSU are good. Was referring to how much the 6-pin can actually supply. The 18-gauge wires used are rated up to 230 watts each at 12 volts. And we have three. Has anybody figured out how power from the three 18 amp 12 volt rails is distributed?

Last edited:
Just for fun, some benchmarks from my upgraded T5500 (dual X5687s, 24GB DDR3-1333, MSI Vega 56)

Hardly mind-blowing, but not bad for a 12 year old hunk o' junk...

Just for fun, some benchmarks from my upgraded T5500 (dual X5687s, 24GB DDR3-1333, MSI Vega 56)

Hardly mind-blowing, but not bad for a 12 year old hunk o' junk...
hi, can you do a CPU-Z bench ? v 1.99?
i may sell my v4 dell and maybe go for a more bang for buck system as in older xeons.

@frigider When I get back home I'll try. I thought if you didn't check threads, it automatically ran all your vCPUs automatically.

Why CPU-Z version 1.99? Is there something wrong with version >2.00?

Some upgrade notes: At the time I bought the X5687s, X5690s (6-core) were stupid expensive, and the X5687s (4-core) offer slightly higher clock speeds/IPC (3.6GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo.) So I went with the substantially cheaper quad core option for 8c/16t total. I did have to pony up for a CPU daughterboard but I think it was worth it.

The Dell PSU also died a painfully loud death, so I shelved the whole PC for a while. I eventually got a Corsair RMS 850M to replace it. Fortunately the Dell PSU didn't take any components out when it died.

When I get back home I'll try. I thought if you didn't check threads, it automatically ran all your vCPUs automatically.
yeah i don't get that difference between checked / uncheckd but I guess there will be one?
Why CPU-Z version 1.99? Is there something wrong with version >2.00?
well i ran my tests on that version but hey, beggars can't be choosy so run what version you got :D
thanks!

At the time I bought the X5687s, X5690s (6-core) were stupid expensive, and the X5687s (4-core) offer slightly higher clock speeds/IPC (3.6GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo.) So I went with the substantially cheaper quad core option for 8c/16t total.
now they are cheap so i am considering them.
but need to see which ones can run in dual config. E5s have the first number which tells you but these ones' names you mentioned don't make any sense. :)

now they are cheap so i am considering them.
but need to see which ones can run in dual config. E5s have the first number which tells you but these ones' names you mentioned don't make any sense. :)
For Nehalem/Westmere you can tell by the first letter. IIRC W indicates a single CPU config (e.g., W3680.) Other versions can typically be used in dual CPU configs (e.g., L, E and X designations - X5687, E5620, L5640.) There might be other letter codes escaping me at the moment.

For Nehalem/Westmere you can tell by the first letter. IIRC W indicates a single CPU config (e.g., W3680.) Other versions can typically be used in dual CPU configs (e.g., L, E and X designations - X5687, E5620, L5640.) There might be other letter codes escaping me at the moment.
That about covers it.

System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Is the fan in the PSU spinning properly? If it's not, that might be your problem.
Fan is spinning out just fine...needed to check it inside, as outside can't really tell...not a storm, but a small breeze.

Did anybody put 1100W T7500 into T5500? Do those connect to same connector? Or do I need to re-do the wiring?

Did anybody put 1100W T7500 into T5500?
It will fit.
Do those connect to same connector? Or do I need to re-do the wiring?
The wiring harness the T5500 came with will plug straight into the 1100w PSU. But do not use the T7500 wiring as the cable lengths will not match up. That whole series of systems were designed to have mostly modular parts, PSU included.

Last edited:

JHAKK

I used a riser and 2nd card is outside case on top of it.
Let me tell you it is function over fashion! =)
Super FUGLY!!! lol

Correct yes. Starting from left of ATX cable, counted 5pins(2 rows of 5) = 10pins total) to right and cut.
This matches the pattern perfectly which the Dell CPU_2 connector is expecting, if that makes sense.
I will post some pic's when I can.
Basically only 3 positive and 5 GND wires need to be active as pin 9 and pin 10 on CPU_2 side are empty.
Cheers.
Attaching gross photos-will take updated ones with 1300w after...

Attachments

• IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 68
It will fit.

The wiring harness the T5500 came with will plug straight into the 1100w PSU. But do not use the T7500 wiring and the cable lengths will not match up. That whole series of systems were designed to have mostly modular parts, PSU included.

I had to debate this with myself when my T5500's PSU cratered. Did I want to buy an decade-old T7500 PSU from a dodgy eBay reseller, or just get a new PSU for about the same price? I opted to get a new Corsair RMS 850M, which fit perfectly. I did have to cut out the old PSU wiring harness, but it was all cake from there on out. It has 4 PCI 8-pin power plugs, which far exceeds Dell's original T5500 PSU with two 6-pin plugs. That enabled me to drop in a power hungry Vega 56, which would've been impossible with the stock T5500 PSU.

And a nice benefit is that the system is rock solid now, instead of being slightly unstable. The old PSU was probably struggling before it died, introducing instability.

EDIT: Got the model number a little wrong. It's actually the RM850x.

Last edited:
I'm reasonably certain that the T5500 (and likewise the T3500 and T7500) will take bog standard ATX power supplies. It's the wiring harness and extra cable length required that will make life difficult. In my case I also had to take into account two CPUs, which requires an extra EPS12V connector. After a bit of research, I determined that the Corsair PSU carried by a local shop actually had enough CPU connectors (3 for some reason?? LOL.)

I opted to get a new Corsair RMS 850M, which fit perfectly.
That's a valid option too! The only down side is the wires will not fit in like the Dell wiring bundle does so some extra effort is needed for cable management. However, it should be noted that if one is careful about sellers(buy only from seller with 98% or better), buying from Ebay will be a good experience. Additionally, Dell PSUs are made to exacting standards, even 10year old used models are very likely to be in perfect working order.

@lexluthermiester My experience is admittedly anecdotal, but the PSU in my T5500 failed in an explosive manner (literally!) Loud crack, and then...nothing. I was very fortunate that it failed without zapping any other components.