• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

but the PSU in my T5500 failed in an explosive manner (literally!) Loud crack, and then...nothing.
That does happen, nothing is perfect. But with Dell PSUs from that series of workstations, it's much less common.
I was very fortunate that it failed without zapping any other components.
This however, is very much the common experience. Dell PSU's from that time period were designed to be fail-safe. In other words they were designed to fail without damaging anything they're attached too. For that reason I actually prefer a used PSU from that series over a new PSU.

ok so this is really retarded:

had my T7810 nicely set up with WOL. (it was a nightmare to set it up, to NOT power off the network card, don't even remember what trick did the job)
changed boot drive to a new SSD, switched to UEFI, reinstalled win 10 pro, activated.
installed network drivers.
made settings for WOL.
WOL does not work.

power is cut to the network card after shut down, leds are all OFF.

BIOS settings did not change, right? so all is well there.

1651992517437.png

^^first tries to get this the way it looks was a PAIN.
i would leave just last 2 tickboxes checked , hit OK, came back to this same menu and to my dispair only the middle one was checked.
now they look ok. thank the gods.

1651992631404.png

1651992642970.png

i do not have the fast start option in control panel.

does anyone know what the hell am i supposed to do EXTRA besides this?
i have the feeling i asked around here last time around so i will browse back.

ok so this is really retarded:

had my T7810 nicely set up with WOL. (it was a nightmare to set it up, to NOT power off the network card, don't even remember what trick did the job)
changed boot drive to a new SSD, switched to UEFI, reinstalled win 10 pro, activated.
installed network drivers.
made settings for WOL.
WOL does not work.

power is cut to the network card after shut down, leds are all OFF.

BIOS settings did not change, right? so all is well there.

View attachment 246556
^^first tries to get this the way it looks was a PAIN.
i would leave just last 2 tickboxes checked , hit OK, came back to this same menu and to my dispair only the middle one was checked.
now they look ok. thank the gods.

View attachment 246557

View attachment 246558

i do not have the fast start option in control panel.

does anyone know what the hell am i supposed to do EXTRA besides this?
i have the feeling i asked around here last time around so i will browse back.
To enable WOL you have to enable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Leave the other settings as-is. WOL should then operate as intended as long at the waking network device is properly configured.

To enable WOL you have to enable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Leave the other settings as-is. WOL should then operate as intended as long at the waking network device is properly configured.
well i must say it does make sense cause if i uncheck it all goes gray, including "wake up using magic packets"

but unfortunatelly it still does not wake up :|

RJ45's LEDs are still OFF and PC does not wake up.

well i must say it does make sense cause if i uncheck it all goes gray, including "wake up using magic packets"

but unfortunatelly it still does not wake up :|

RJ45's LEDs are still OFF and PC does not wake up.
Can you take screen shots of the BIOS settings relating to the network adapters and power management screens and attach them here?

Can you take screen shots of the BIOS settings relating to the network adapters and power management screens and attach them here?
i will eventually need to to that but these settings were OK before boot drive replacement + win 10 reinstall because WOL was working.

any chance they could have changed by themselves?

i will eventually need to to that but these settings were OK before boot drive replacement + win 10 reinstall because WOL was working.

any chance they could have changed by themselves?
It's possible. Are you using the same version of Windows that you were using when it worked? Have you installed the Dell network drivers or are you using the default microsoft provided set?

It's possible. Are you using the same version of Windows that you were using when it worked? Have you installed the Dell network drivers or are you using the default microsoft provided set?
it's still win 10 pro.
and i did install network drivers as i remember this being the solution last time around - i struggled a lot to get WOL working.

maybe the switch to UEFI altered some stuff?

UPDATE
well call it whatever but just wanted to pull the pc out from where it was hidden and when i wanted to pull the netwrok cable out i could see blinking lights!

so i think the setting you said was the right one, except for god knows what reason when i shut the pc down the LEDs were not blinking straight away.

now i shut it down again, and LEDs no longer blinkung LOL

yeah i need to check BIOS i guess?

Came with pics: first 2 seem ok but last one maybe needs fixing?

I don't get it why was the network card alive , woken it, shut it down network card was sleeping fast.

I ticked the block sleep box, still no LEDs blinking after shut down.

See last PIC for what Dell website says about WOL settings..

So if i move the unit - unplug it, set it in another place, plug it in - the power supply wakes up for a short while, some fans too - i think - and LEDs on netowrk card start lighting up.

but if i turn it on (manually/WOL) and shut it down - LEDs are dead.

after some time - a few hours? who knows - LEDs are ON again and i can use WOL.

what is it with this time delay? a big time delay?

Attachments

• IMG20220510094811.jpg
    IMG20220510094811.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG20220510095029.jpg
    IMG20220510095029.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG20220510095105.jpg
    IMG20220510095105.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 56
  • 2022-05-10 10_12_01-Window.png
    2022-05-10 10_12_01-Window.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Fast Boot is in the "POST Behavior", make sure it's enabled. You also need to make sure that in the "Performance" menu "C States Control" is enabled. All of the rest of your settings look fine. The settings you showed look correct.

The next thing you need to check is if your network connection systems(router/switch) are configured for WOL properly. UDP port 9 should be configured as open. Any device that it set to wake the system also needs to have UDP port 9 open. If it's being blocked or closed anywhere in the chain of the network, this might be the cause of your problems.

Fast Boot is in the "POST Behavior", make sure it's enabled. You also need to make sure that in the "Performance" menu "C States Control" is enabled. All of the rest of your settings look fine. The settings you showed look correct.

The next thing you need to check is if your network connection systems(router/switch) are configured for WOL properly. UDP port 9 should be configured as open. Any device that it set to wake the system also needs to have UDP port 9 open. If it's being blocked or closed anywhere in the chain of the network, this might be the cause of your problems.
I will look for that Post stuff, does not sound familiar at all.

Router and stuff should be ok cause sometimes the network card is alive and I can wake it over LAN but as soon as I shut down the PC it turns off.

If I pull the power cord and plug it back in network card will be powered and WOL ready.

This is really awkward, Next one will be hp. :D

Under post I don't have fast boot - I know that is disable by another option, will try enabling it (but WOL instructions said to disable it)

C states are enabled.

Found (last pic) a setting which I changed to LAN without PXE cause WOL setting is just enabled (not enabled with PXE)

Went in to power plan settings, turned off power savings for PCIE

Still nothing

Attachments

• IMG20220512161342.jpg
    IMG20220512161342.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG20220512161547.jpg
    IMG20220512161547.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2022-05-12-16-36-56-64_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-12-16-36-56-64_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
Under post I don't have fast boot - I know that is disable by another option, will try enabling it (but WOL instructions said to disable it)

C states are enabled.

Found (last pic) a setting which I changed to LAN without PXE cause WOL setting is just enabled (not enabled with PXE)

Went in to power plan settings, turned off power savings for PCIE

Still nothing
I'm inclinded to think this is a Windows config problem. The BIOS settings seem like they're correct.

I'm inclinded to think this is a Windows config problem. The BIOS settings seem like they're correct.
also installed a newer driver, cause in ipconfig it said i had i217-LM ethernet card so i installed a newer driver for it.
still nothing.

1652389605601.png

1652389611843.png

thinking of uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it again..

thought about BIOS reset but could not find button for "default settings" so left it alone, cause like you said - settings look ok.

and IT WORKED before win 10 reinstall.

most annoying thing is that sometimes the network card was pwoered on and waiting for wake up packet a- and it did wake up.
but after days of being shut down.

and if i remove power cord and plug it in again and THEN plug in ethernet cable - THEN network card is powered and able to wake up the PC.

i struggled a lot to get it going the first time but this is a real nigthmare.
last time round driver install was the solution.

also installed a newer driver, cause in ipconfig it said i had i217-LM ethernet card so i installed a newer driver for it.
still nothing.

View attachment 247240
View attachment 247241

thinking of uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it again..

thought about BIOS reset but could not find button for "default settings" so left it alone, cause like you said - settings look ok.

and IT WORKED before win 10 reinstall.

most annoying thing is that sometimes the network card was pwoered on and waiting for wake up packet a- and it did wake up.
but after days of being shut down.

and if i remove power cord and plug it in again and THEN plug in ethernet cable - THEN network card is powered and able to wake up the PC.

i struggled a lot to get it going the first time but this is a real nigthmare.
last time round driver install was the solution.
I hate to say this, but you might be fighting an uphill battle. It might be easier to simply use a deep sleep or hibernation mode for WOL functionality to work the way you want it to instead of a full power-down.

I hate to say this, but you might be fighting an uphill battle. It might be easier to simply use a deep sleep or hibernation mode for WOL functionality to work the way you want it to instead of a full power-down.
I will search browsing history to see what driver I installed last time around.
I can quit whenever I want, I can power it on by hand.

I feel this sleep thing is a compromise and when something should work then I cannot make compromises :D

Thank you for your support!

Thank you for your support!
YW. Sorry we couldn't find a concrete solution.

Have you tried a fresh install of 10 since the problem began? It might be as simple as a bad set of registry entries or even wonky network setup due to an update not properly installed or configured.

If you're using an SSD to boot from, the hibernation option could be a good solution.

YW. Sorry we couldn't find a concrete solution.

Have you tried a fresh install of 10 since the problem began? It might be as simple as a bad set of registry entries or even wonky network setup due to an update not properly installed or configured.

If you're using an SSD to boot from, the hibernation option could be a good solution.
i was considering this - resetting windows. (which is like a new installation? cause it asks from where to install it?)

i was considering this - resetting windows. (which is like a new installation? cause it asks from where to install it?)
When I say fresh install, I mean wiping the drive entirely and installing Windows from media. Using recovery mode reset will not resolve the problem if the problem is in the Windows files or registry. You have to start fresh if that's the way you're going to go.

Remind me, what model system do you have?

When I say fresh install, I mean wiping the drive entirely and installing Windows from media. Using recovery mode reset will not resolve the problem if the problem is in the Windows files or registry. You have to start fresh if that's the way you're going to go.

Remind me, what model system do you have?

T7810.

ok will install from 0.

last time around i had a HDMI plug, now i see remote desktop doesn't need one.
(Team Viewer will show black screen in my video edit software if i don't have the dummy plug in.)

does the dummy plug affect WOL? i would assume no, right?