• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

@purplenoice - 48kHz is 2ch x 24kHz.
We almost dolphin in hearing,
but I ain't no bat.
I've made millions in Sample Rate (stupid 4.4Gb 32fp limit.. - 64bit, when?).
(One plugin me and @Jimmy9303 got to a few billions - couldn't even display all the numbers lol).
Then also one time a live ASIO in working rate 8 million.
Also I unlocked full spectrum DTS/Dolby (mixture?). One time. This is something I am going to pursue. The whole goodiebag I shall snatch. Love Creative.

Oh I also made CETA (source Spotify - VHQ, no limiter). This is the best ReMaster of already Mastered tracks there ever was?
Am I missing something?
Of course in CD 44.1 16 .wav for your rhythmic earies.

https://soundcloud.com/rmstr%2Fhazard-radio-mix-1h-rmstr-2022-muscx-ceta-4416wav-dl
I will dedicate a whole PC partition to this, disable EVERYTHING unnecessary.

Stupid DPC latency shared between information / audio / video.

Also, disable Windows Media Player in Add/Remove Programs (it will improve audio, source: Thai)
Also disable all windows system sounds for better qulity and reponse. in the system sound tab and those stupid communication tab tick to do nothing

Attachments

• Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (19).png
    1 MB · Views: 53
@purplenoice, its 11.1 as DTS:X or 8 as PCM, to prove a point you can get TOSLink to HDMI, so [HDMI -- TOSLink] -----[TOSLink -- HDMI] > HDMI Receiver with full support.

Bit pointless I know but it does prove TOSLink is far from the issue, also the HDMI--TOSLink converter has no SPDIF circuit, its HDMI direct to TOSlink.
With the same converter and Z906 as the receiver, I can send the formats it supports and 2 channel audio with the converter.

That proves it can be done without SPDIF out, but still with SPDIF in, they are backwardly compatible.

----

If more was done to support the way SPDIF uses formats (SPDIF EDID) and the correct digital converter, GPU's very easily can have TOSLink out, at the full rate of HDA.

@purplenoice, its 11.1 as DTS:X or 8 as PCM, to prove a point you can get TOSLink to HDMI, so [HDMI -- TOSLink] -----[TOSLink -- HDMI] > HDMI Receiver with full support.

Bit pointless I know but it does prove TOSLink is far from the issue, also the HDMI--TOSLink converter has no SPDIF circuit, its HDMI direct to TOSlink.
With the same converter and Z906 as the receiver, I can send the formats it supports and 2 channel audio with the converter.

That proves it can be done without SPDIF out, but still with SPDIF in, they are backwardly compatible.
I get it now. I do not need to tell you that dev. can do mess with software sometimes...last few years so often xD

The one I have I created a driver for, I have no issues with it, but I don't use the DAC in it, just digital direct. Some older images:

1.png
3.png
2.png

The one I have I created a driver for, I have no issues with it, but I don't use the DAC in it, just digital direct.
That's what I thought, you don't use a DAC, but I understand why not. But maybe DAC can help with the problem you have to point you in the right direction, or you have restricted the software to not use DAC at all

Cant send analogue down TOSLink, its actually the digital converter in the Z906, its set at 2 channels, and fixed format support. The Z906 does ofc do 6 channels via compression over TOSLink.
Once it receives it, it decodes it (uncompress), at that point its 6 channels of PCM, the reason its done that way is because the digital converter is 2 channels.

HDMI works slightly differently, it detects the channels supported via the plugged in devices EDID, this is not done on SPDIF (as such, its tick boxes).
Had the Z906 had a digital converter that supported 6 channels (PCM), the compression and bitstreaming would not be needed.

----

If you fill out the support on SPDIF, then convert it to HDMI, the information passes over, it also reads the digital converter channels. Older images:

1.png 2.png

Last edited:
Cant send analogue down TOSLink, its actually the digital converter in the Z906, its set at 2 channels, and fixed format support. The Z906 does ofc do 6 channels via compression over TOSLink.
Once it receives it, it decodes it (uncompress), at that point its 6 channels of PCM, the reason its done that way is because the digital converter is 2 channels.

HDMI works slightly differently, it detects the channels supported via the plugged in devices EDID, this is not done on SPDIF (as such, its tick boxes).
Had the Z906 had a digital converter that supported 6 channels (PCM), the compression and bitstreaming would not be needed.

----

If you fill out the support on SPDIF, then convert it to HDMI, the information passes over, it also reads the digital converter channels. Older images:

View attachment 260649 View attachment 260650
I really wish I could help, I understand what your goal is, but you made the configuration yourself, you must have missed something somewhere, That img from right hand I can do test tone to, and everything sound good in the test. but music do not want pass to the receiver :(

Not sure I follow the last one, everything is working as it should, I think maybe I have confused you. Anyway to bitstream audio, the media player needs to be setup for passthrough, and the device set as stereo.
Audio, such as music will be something like MP3, that is uncompressed to PCM, and PCM sent to the audio output device. Those test tones are compressed digital audio, not PCM.

If you are trying to bitstream (passthrough) for example FLAC, then the un-compression to PCM does not happen until the receiver, therefor it must support it.
If the device did not support FLAC directly, then it must be un-compressed (decoded) into PCM -before- the receiver.

I understand. I will look at the model of your receiver on the Internet and the data sheet and I`ll check something else. But I can't promise anything in advance.

I think I confused you when I started talking about the HDMI converter, sorry about that. Plus you need to know a bit about both SPDIF and HDMI circuiting, digital converters (chip), so on.

Here is the ALC 889 (my old mobo), at the bottom you see the basic outlay of the SPDIF circuit after HDA. The digital converter is 2 channels only, same on input.
The Z906 will have the same, on its input path, a 2 channel (PCM) digital converter, had it been a 6 channel one, I could receive 6 channel PCM.

Officially my HDMI converter supports LPCM 5.1 over optical, but after talking to the OEM 8 channel was also confirmed.
Some (although very rare) receivers do actually support 5.1 LPCM on optical, but rarely.

ALC 889.png

----

To validate, check your Realtek optical has [24bit, 192k x 2] channel support (mine does, Z906 also accepts 176k), that is 9.216 mbps and 384 total samples.

Now lets work within that limit (same as HDMI doing 32 channels over 1536 aggregate (total samples)):

[24bit, 48k x 8] channels, that is 9.216 mbps and 384 total samples.

--

Also note, 9.2 mpbs (based on digital converter) is enough to bitstream all but Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, based on the standard format list.

====

My newer mobo with S1220-A can do 32bit on analogue out, and my Z906 has no issues with that either, pretty decent IMO.

176k (edit) on SPDIF and 32 bit analogue, shame about the 2 channel digital converter on SPDIF.

Link: Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers System

Last edited:
You forgot to add one serious rule in digital audio, that the stream passes decoded and if you yourself said that there is a small difference between the spdif interface and HDMI as far as digital audio transmission is concerned. Anyway, I can say that it is precisely because of HDMI and of course Windows (like win10-11) that the 176 sample rate is already out of standard and I can open it on my chip even though it is not standard "today" - why, in conclusion, because of Windows. In the studio, you can see various types of connections and everything can work, but here we are talking about an OS that has set new limits and standards, that's exactly where your problem is.

You can only blame windows for that

or:

Last edited:
Indeed Windows and-or drivers. For example on my Realtek (or at least my older 889), if I used Windows default HDA drivers, all formats supported by the digital converter on SPDIF show.
If I use the official Realtek drivers, some of the sample rates disappear, even though the device supports it. At this time is all about hardware limits.

I have a HDV-MB01, but I have made a custom EDID for it, essentially the optical circuit is the equivalent of HDMI 1.4 audio.
It uses a virtual monitor to handle the device, in terms of audio, it also has a DAC for headphones.

1662419152489.png
1662419337825.png
1662419356932.png

Never used the DAC though, only optical.

Indeed Windows and-or drivers. For example on my Realtek (or at least my older 889), if I used Windows default HDA drivers, all formats supported by the digital converter on SPDIF show.
If I use the official Realtek drivers, some of the sample rates disappear, even though the device supports it. At this time is all about hardware limits.

I have a HDV-MB01, but I have made a custom EDID for it, essentially the optical circuit is the equivalent of HDMI 1.4 audio.
It uses a virtual monitor to handle the device, in terms of audio, it also has a DAC for headphones.

View attachment 260786
View attachment 260789
View attachment 260790

Never used the DAC though, only optical.
Everything looks fine.

Yes indeed, and as you can see the default specs specify LPCM 5.1 on optical. The original EDID was as DVI, I changed various things in the custom.

As I mentioned previously a certain setup on a GPU will allow for a dedicated TOSLink optical audio connector, direct.

Yes I see it , you do it great job no doubt in that.

I received confirmation today that the dolby access home theater is working

Oh ADAT is Legendary piece of hardver
I would take a look on HDMI,,more interest now I have in that technology.
SPIDF is bit old..

As for the PCM format you mentioned, it is one of my favorites and I personally prefer to send the signal through a wired connection than through the SPIDF interface, honestly it sounds much better and more dynamic. If I use speakers in the environment then I use SPDIF. My receiver supports 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS. This year I won't be able to upgrade a better receiver, but next year I'm switching to a stronger one, so I want to pay a little more attention to HDMI technology, which is currently expanding.

Last edited:
SPDIF is indeed a bit old, but no where near as old as analogue and stereo. Many OEM's still consider it the best possible way to transmit digital audio.
Still, HDMI tech can drive TOSLink and be compatible with SPDIF based devices. You wont really see HDMI in some situations.

The more specialized tech that can be used in broadcasting tends to use SPDIF, and not HDMI.

HDMI adds to overheads, in terms of audio only, as the device needs to produce additional frames-other (video).
In some cases, you will need to reduce the resolution and-or refresh to have enough bandwidth.

Last edited:
Hey @Ferather
just asking because I read about it on the last pages. Is it now possible to get Dolby Atmos to work?
I would die to get it back^^
I have had Atmos with Alans drivers 2 or 3 years ago, but never get it to work again since then. But I really miss it. It is great in games like The Division 2 or others which supports it.

Hey @Ferather
just asking because I read about it on the last pages. Is it now possible to get Dolby Atmos to work?
I would die to get it back^^
I have had Atmos with Alans drivers 2 or 3 years ago, but never get it to work again since then. But I really miss it. It is great in games like The Division 2 or others which supports it.
My personal experience in The Division 2 between Dolby Atmos and DTS sound unbound (for headphones) is that DTS is much more accurate and realistic than Dolby Atmos. If you search a bit for information on exactly what format the sound in The Division 2 was made for, you will find information that it is DTS sound format and not DA. I also tested Dolby Access in immersive sound and again DTS is the winner.

My personal experience in The Division 2 between Dolby Atmos and DTS sound unbound (for headphones) is that DTS is much more accurate and realistic than Dolby Atmos. If you search a bit for information on exactly what format the sound in The Division 2 was made for, you will find information that it is DTS sound format and not DA. I also tested Dolby Access in immersive sound and again DTS is the winner.
Uh oh, I missed a detail. I'm on 5.1 Speaker system via SPDIF
Actually and for the last 2 years, I'm on DTSX, which is nice. But, as I said, back then, shortly after TD2 was released I used Alans drivers with Atmos for a couple of months and it was much much better. The sound was way more precise and clear. All the little details in sound design were much more present, like the sounds of the empty shells hitting the ground. Footsteps. And so on.

I don't know if it was from Atmos or something else (I just used DTS only, never all the other offered packages). But I really miss that clear and precise sounds.