• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

System Name FireBreather
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard CrossHair Extreme x670E
Cooling Asus RoG Strix LC2 360 AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.40
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Taichi
Storage 3x- PCI-E 4.0 Nvme 2TB 7GB/s - 2TB N7 USB-3.1 Nvme 1GB/s
Display(s) ASUS - VG259QM 2k 280hz HDR - LG-C1 4K 120hz OLED with Dobly vison
Case ROG Helios
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX ALC4082 codec, and an integrated ESS® ES9218 quad DAC
Power Supply HX1500i - 1500Watt
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores Time spy - 29000 Port Royal - 17500 Cinabench R23 - ST = 2150 MT = 40000
I re-uploaded [DTS DCH 6.0.9414.1], with the newer preset and some final changes to DTS Interactive.

----

@ajf64, Thanks for the info (your post above). Does it do more than legacy standard on SPDIF?
i played with it a little still down converts to regular dts and dobly but if you send it a atmos or dtsX signl and use virtualX it seems to postion the sounds correctly

@Lucky8, I have not been very successful with E-APO other than simple upmixer and gain, both my 889 with my S1220-A. E-APO has not been updated in a long time.
Its very possibly a Realtek driver based issue or possibly DTS, in which case you might need to use the native Windows driver.

:s

----

@ajf64, As a side note, I am avoiding HDMI for audio, it uses TMDS, and does not send audio constantly, instead intermittently between video data.
In most cases you also need to produce a video feed in order to output audio, which is wasted on audio only.

Your GPU has to work harder, and will cost you more power, for something unused.

Also, due to TMDS, you could end up needing to reduce your Monitor/TV resolution, or refresh, in order to send audio (bandwidth).

By default HDMI cables are conductive, and have limited distance.

----

To answer a PM, no you don't need the 'External Speakers' package on SPDIF for multichannel only, its used for stereo mode.
Personally, I suggest the two reg files to get HT mode, although that is optional, not essential.

====

Updated.

Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.40
Case ROG Helios
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores Time spy - 29000 Port Royal - 17500 Cinabench R23 - ST = 2150 MT = 40000

Ferather well that's not 100% accurate since gpu only dose pass-through its up to the device on the other end to do the heavy lifting i notice no difference in performance or power draw on idle on my 6900xt using HDMI audio set to atmos then if i was to use optical or even analog its actually less of a strain on the cpu then either of the other 2 since the cpu encoding for atmos seems to be alot more efficient you could even turn your sound card off and save even more power since its not really needed when using hdmi. Personally i go in to one of my monitors with hdmi and the other one dp as long as the other one is connected i can pass audio through the hdmi monitor with it off while using my dp monitor. Since im using E-arc and that is an audio only connection when comparing to the z906 set up with either a/v receiver or connecting directly to the amp in the sub this set up is far easier and much higher quality. I felt the same as you for a long time till i finally just pulled the trigger and tried it now i cant go back. You also need to make sure you get something with E-arc or hdmi 2.1 my LG C1 is hdmi 2.1 and also has E-Arc so its a pretty solid set up everything just works 10bit 4k HDR Full 4:4:4 RGB @ 120hz with VVR and LLM all running paired with full Atmos encoding and pass-though using Dolby MAT (MAT Setting : Dolby TrueHD wrapper with Atmos Meta-data) Uncompressed @ 192/24 - 5.1.4 channel set up. Wish i could have you hear the difference in audio quality and how much better sounds are positioned in your listening environment its really like going from stereo to surround sound your rear speakers get so much more use then in regular 5.1 even with the dtsx mixing you added which is about as good as it gets for regular 5.1. When you compare this speaker package to others you have to compare it to things 2 or 3 times the price of it to get comparable sound quality and features. Also as a last thing it may only be 10 discrete channels but has 20 drivers compared to the one per channel of most set ups.​

PS: sorry for the bold idk what happened there and it wont let me remove it lol

Last edited:
@qwer158, disable Windows Store Auto-Updates, uninstall the updated one, then install the provided one. Else, uninstall then do the following:
> Run 7-Zip as admin, and navigate to: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, delete any sound unbound folders (shift + delete).

Remove 1.png
Remove 2.png

----

@ajf64, noted, It's also not so bad if the video is going directly out as your main feed, but it does have some added cons.
You can add all the APO's in this pack to a GPU, including Interactive, instead of boring Windows FX.

Last edited:

pomchan

Features: DTS:X Ultra (APO4), DTS Headphones:X v2 (Sound Unbound), DTS Interactive:X (APO4).

Main directory: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9yrokjhyh2slx/DTS_DCH_Drivers
Apps: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tk7ola8b5j6xt/DTS_UWP_Appx

----

First, uninstall all previous Realtek drivers, including any past installs. Use pnputil (see here), to scan the system for residual drivers and extensions.
The quick way to use pnputil is two commands, "pnputil -e" and "pnputil -d oemX.inf", the X represents the number you see on screen.

You can check the 'provider', 'class' and 'signer' to identify any drivers that should be removed.

https://ibb.co/yN86MRK | https://ibb.co/YRvDsKv

----

To install-update the drivers, right click uninstall the device in 'device manager', tick 'delete driver', pnputil to remove the extension (see above).
Check the device has fully disappeared and there are no other drivers, double click 'Install' in the driver folder (DTS DCH folder).

Once the installer has finished, restart your computer.

----

See the 'TOOLS' folder for extra steps to unlock more features, settings, via the Realtek policy editor (RTK Panel.txt).
Enable 'Stereo Mix', mute the stream, then set it to play to the device, to keep the encoder always on.

https://ibb.co/477T74G | https://ibb.co/MVgzT5s

----

To use the provided Sound Unbound package (which contains a license), disable Windows store auto-updates.
You will also need to uninstall any updated version, before re-installing the provided one.

----

How to setup USB-HDMI (non-Realtek devices) here, for HDAUDIO devices, you need only need 'DTS Settings'.
To add 'External Speakers' to SPDIF-HDMI see the provided package in the main link above.

----

Known issues:

Some VPN's software may block the APO4 service, stopping the use of all licenses.
Some device policies block DTS Interactive, installable policy here.

----

https://ibb.co/ZG3cC4S | https://ibb.co/L0gD9Q7

====

Enjoy ALC Pro DTS:X Edition
I bought an X570S AERO G motherboard but my DTS:Ultra X never work from begining , never thought i will found solution make it work but last night while rendering some stuff and feeling bored i found this . You are absolutely legend Ferather , you make it work even support from GIGABYTE cant do it . Wish you all the best ! This comunity be so great because have people like you , once again THANK YOU. Been watching Techpowerup site for years but never step in and sign up .

Thats odd, there is also an Asus DTS pack for Prime, although I have not had this new PC for long, I still have not used it, it certainly doesn't come with Interactive, most definitely not Interactive + APO4.
The only issue you will have with this pack, you will need your own Sound Unbound license (Windows account, from the store), in order to upgrade the Sound Unbound app.

If your driver normally licenses Sound Unbound, but does not come with Ultra, you will lose the license if this pack is installed.

You are welcome, good to know it also fixes legit situations.

====

Forgot to mention, I updated my [E-APO Stereo Upmixer] config (see here), it's setup in basic form, and can be expanded (SFX limits):

> Add side if you are using 7.1, add include 'Analogue' 'Digital' if you want the global channel gains.
> If you want more LFE upmix, for example, use channel factor: 1.0 is 100%, 1.5 is 150%.
> Change 'inputChannelCount == 0' to 'inputChannelCount == 6' to force upmix.

1666875080207.png

Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Case ROG Helios
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Software Windows 11 pro
kinda dont have to add anything to the gpu since as soon as you connect hdmi to a system that has atmos or dtsx it will just encode tho i do wonder what you could add to make it sound even better

It does. But when you try to update some other app manually, it may queue the rest of the apps to update
if you hit update apps when doing a manual update on apps it will update that app unless you cancle the update some times its hard to catch when you have a long list of apps that are updateing you just go down and hit the X before the update starts or just down grade it after if you are unable to catch it in time you can just install the old version over the new one and it will revert.

I can tell you APO4 does improve audio quality before encoding to DTS Interactive, and PCM enhancers found on analogue can be added to SPDIF-HDMI, APO's are PCM processors.
For example, does DTS:X and/or Atmos upmix stereo to multichannel or do you have to tell the receiver to do that? I don't see the point of endpoint compression.

The reason DTS Interactive existed was due to bandwidth issues with early TOSLink (3.1 mbps), HDA audio is ~37mbps.

In terms of HDMI, the only reason to compress PCM that otherwise would be output as PCM, is the TDMS issue, as in not enough bandwidth due to high pixels/refresh.
Current standard SPDIF allows for up to 15 channels PCM, so as far as more channels, then again you would need compression, for example 32 channels.

I don't know many consumer standard receivers that do more than 15 channels, certainly not 32.

====

Windows audio will also need an update, since it only sets up to 8 channel PCM, regardless of your hardware.

----

This is DTS APO4 (PCM Processor), with 11.1 and 'any' channel support, now try and get Windows to show 11.1 on analogue with 4 plugs, lol.

DTS APO.png SPDIF.png

Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Case ROG Helios
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Software Windows 11 pro
yes atmos and dts:X will upmix everything to to object base and actually tune it to the your specific channel set up since i knows exactly what your set up is and dont get me wrong your driver is the best sound i have ever been able to get from my spidif just seems with this set up everything just already dose what you want at a super high quality

@ajf64, would be nice if DTS did not restrict DTS:X to HDMI form factor only, for fair comparison, still it's interesting how even DTS:X on HDMI is still a PCM processor (APO).
I still find it amusing that APO's creators still don't support SPDIF-HDMI, its all the same, PCM processing then a DAC, except the DAC is further away.

The DAC part makes no difference to APO's since they only every process PCM. So silly.

So how do you get true 15 channels with DTS:X if the input to the processor is 8 channels? By true I mean not upmixed from 8 to 15.

----

SPDIF - HDMI.pngWin11 Test.png

Thats SPDIF with added formats converted to form factor HDMI, notice the first image is that of HDMI.

----

If I had an 11.1 DTS track and then decoded it to PCM, how do I output 11.1, if Windows and the Media player are a max of 8?
If I did passthrough of the DTS 11.1 track, then PCM is skipped and APO's do nothing (which is normal).

I can see DTS have put 11.1 PCM processing into APO4, but there is not a 11.1 analogue system, or support in Windows.

----

Even though HDMI can do 32 x 48k (so can anything doing ~37mbps, including SPDIF), you can only set the device to 8.

1667403325750.png
1667403509332.png

SPDIF however:

SPDIF v1.2 - Transmitter.png

----

Very sad to have hardware we cannot use properly, especially when it already exists.

====

@Lolcat, yes it does.

Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Case ROG Helios
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Software Windows 11 pro
dts:x is weird even tho it can be coded for with meta data alot of times it acts more like virtual:x in where the algo just generates its own location data for a given mix a true uncompressed dts:x coded track is really something to hear tho but in most cases even virtual:x witch is basically what we use with spidif will make even an atmos track sound better its kinda weird at how well i can work at times. But there are rare occasions where it totally misses on the mix and places sounds in the totally wrong places but its rare and i have a suspicion its has something to do with low quality stereo sound and there just not being enough info for it to work with

Noted, I have nothing against DTS or Dolby for multichannel tech, but I don't like having hardware I cannot use properly. DTS-MA is lossless, compared to DTS Audio, although I don't feel it's very lossy.
A few good reasons to use lossless DTS-Dolby over PCM, bandwidth issues (including HDMI, and cable length), more than 8 channels (same as the driver, 6 instead of 2 on SPDIF).

Ultimately Windows and apps, should be changed to essentially support 'any' number of channels, for digital there is not strictly a need for any speaker config.
Even a two channel soundbar could accept 15 channels as input, which means it has dedicated true channel source for spatial over 2 channels.

At the moment we are restricted in programming to 8 channels, regardless of form factor.

Even if I had a new sound card, that has current 15 channel SPDIF consumer standard, and a receiver that is also 15 channels, I can only setup 8 channels via Windows/Apps.
Once people get off their bums and actually upgrade their coding to current standards (including HDMI), DTS-Dolby can do PCM processors.

This also opens up more options with hardware, for example my 'Optical Smart Speaker' design, which works in PCM.

Optical Smart Speakers.png

In this design, the DAC (PowerDAC, Class D style) is in each satalite unit, and LFE unit. The input to the main receiver is optical PCM (LPCM), the main unit is mostly a DSP.
By being a DSP, it can decode compressed audio (all formats), amplify/enhance PCM audio (15 channels), then send each channel out in PCM form.

This is much like your sound card, but as an all in one for SPDIF and lossless optical.

System Name FireBreather
Case ROG Helios
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Software Windows 11 pro
i agree your even limited to 12 channels with atmos or dtsx on pc 11.1 is basically the cap for true channel separation you can upmix beyond that but no native support but once you activate atmos or dtsx it allows you to set more then 8 channels and thats nice but its based on the system you have plugged in

I would happily buy a PCI-E SPDIF Home Theatre (HT) device to bypass the legacy standard SPDIF that is built into Realtek (even Realtek can use 15 channel SPDIF transmitters).
So if you enable DTS:X there is a speaker config for 12 channels via Windows sound panel? or does it still only show 8 channels? can you take a screen shot?

If you can see 12 speakers in the Windows config, can you click each one and get sound from that specific channel?
Seems odd that Windows can process 12 channels PCM, but not config the device without DTS:X.

----

On a side note, with the right app and WASAPI-Exclusive, I can bitstream all formats even with my Realtek, my sample files are also below the 9.2mbps standard (2 x 192k).
15 x 192k is just under 70mbps, and the largest compressed format is 24.5mbps (maybe more with X), you will more likely see 15 x 96k on HDA.

HDA is capped to a maximum of ~37mbps, so 15 x 192k is too much for HDA (Analogue, SPDIF, HDMI), 15 x 96k is 34.5mbps.

----

Extra side note, even a GPU can have a SPDIF HT, JIS F05 output (standard optical out). Personally preferred over conductive copper, and has a longer range.
Optical TOSLink is rated lossless, I don't believe conductive cables are rated lossless, plus devices are electronically isolated.

====

If you are using Equalizer APO, make sure you are using the latest version, if you get weird audio after setting it up, shutdown and turn off the PC at the wall for 5 mins.

Not sure what causes it, but it goes away. I also updated the stereo upmixer config:

1667847218380.png

Last edited:
I found a few 8 channel SPDIF units that in part go into my 'Optical Smart Speaker' design, although the second link has analogue outs, it shows a power source, in my case that would be optical out.

Alpine - PDP-E802DSP 8-Channel Digital DSP Amplifier | JL Audio TwK-D8 Tuning DSP 8 Channel Digital Input Only | MiniDSP U-DIO8 Digital interface 8 channels S/PDIF 192KHz

Optical Smart Speakers.png

In the above design, the main unit (in this case with LFE) is the DSP (digital signal processor) amp and decoder (DTS, Dolby, other), working with PCM.
Each speaker then has a Class-D style PowerDAC (hence the separate power), receiving digital mono (one channel).

Check this out (if you read the page from Texas Instruments): E1DA PowerDAC V2.1 – Linsoul Audio

E1DAPowerDACV2.1-2.jpgE1DAPowerDACV2.1-5.jpg

----

8 x 192k @ 24b = 36.86mbps and 1,536k total samples.
16 x 96k @ 24b = 36.86mbps and 1,536k total samples.
15 x 96k @ 24b = 34.56mbps and 1,440k total samples.
32 x 48k @ 24b = 36.86mbps and 1,536k total samples.

Max bitrate for TOSLink 125mbps | HDA ~37mbps.

15 x 192k @ 24b = 69.12mbps and 2,880k total samples.

----

P-HDA.png

1668020107033.png

24 bit equivalent:

1668017650731.png

1668017687137.png

----

DAC Digital Audio Decoder 24bit 192khz Optical Fiber Coaxial

Apparently not very expensive to make (stereo).

====

Some images from OEM's:

Cables.png
Soundbar.png

Last edited:
1668022304333.png
1668022604873.png

52-Channel PCI Card with ADAT and SPDIF I/O

Hardware incoming. Wikipedia needs updating.

====

Current consumer standard SPDIF, 15 channels (plus any mode), 192k, 24bit:

SPDIF.png
SPDIF v1.2 - Transmitter.png
SPDIF - Full Rate.png

15x 192k PCIe SPDIF Card (consumer) >> TOSLink (one cable).

1668100841005.png

All formats currently available on HDA (~37mbps).

1668102195497.png

As mentioned, to use the full 125mbps, we need parallel HDA.

Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Case ROG Helios
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Software Windows 11 pro
only available when connected to a atmos or dts:x system with the apps purchased and configured windows wont show height channels but when you test through dtsx or atmos app it will use all the proper channels windows sound control panel will just show it in atmos or dts:x seems like it hands off channel support to the apps you don't select really anything the app detects the system you have and auto configures the channel set up windows still shows the normal channel selection under properties but they don't actually do anything all just stay selected even if you try to turn them off

also it may be able to do more then 12 channels that just what i read i only have 10 channels at the moment so i have not been able to test beyond that but i from what i read it can support 2 side channels as well on top of the 3 front 2 rear and 4 height + sub

Thats generally why I would like to see new standards, proper multichannel audio support beyond 8 channels is quite behind in reality.

Thanks for the info you have provided so far.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling AMD Wraith Spire
Memory G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB @ 3400 14-14-14-28
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4 MB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1 TB M.2
Display(s) Sony Bravia 46"
Case Custom Wooden Cube (21 cm / 22 cm / 24 cm)
Audio Device(s) ALC1220 -> TOSLINK -> Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W V2
Hi Ferather. Thank you for your great work. I recently came across the audio section of this forum and I am very impressed with your and Alan's work. Finally I can use the full potential of my hardware :)

Since last month I have been trying out both versions of Alan's drivers and yours. In the meantime, I read the last 50 pages of Alan Realtek's thread, all 13 pages of his generic MS driver, and this whole thread. Now I understand a little more but I'm still a little confused so would be very grateful for your help.

Installing so many different drivers and sound enhancers has made my Windows crap so yesterday I reinstalled Windows and I want to install your driver and get the best out of DTS Interactive.

My configuration: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac with ALC1220 -> TOSLINK -> Logitech z906, Win 10 22H2. No analog speakers or headphones, only z906, 24/7, clean Windows 10.

Is my plan correct?
1. Disable automatic driver updates, disable automatic apps updates in Windows store, disconnect the internet.
2. Uninstall MS generic HDA driver (or disable), pnputil (seems redundant on clean Windows), after that and still before the restart, run CCleaner to clean the registry about 3 times, until the results box is empty, and restart.
3. Install your newest driver (9414, Main version).
4. Enable stereo mix (to avoid popping sound from speakers).
5. Install Realtek policy. But should I make my own policy and install it or it is better to install the provided 'DTS Full Policy' in my case (Asrock, ALC1220, z906 through optical)?
6. Do one of the following:
a) How to get the most from DTS Interactive
b) with DTS Preset Installer change all "SFX" input="Off" output="Off" to "SFX" input="Any" output="Any" in all files from C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x
7. Apply the SPDIF formats.
8. Do I have to install DTS Sound Unbound and DTS:X Ultra apps? If I use the z906 only through optical, no other speakers or headphones, it seems those apps are unnecessary for me?
9. If I don't play FPS games (don't need to listen to footsteps etc., only play Total War strategy games) and don't use headphones/stereo speakers, do I need Nahimic, Boom3D, Sound Blaster or similar apps?
10. Software Dependencies - whta is it? Do I need this?

Thank you in advance.

Some of those posts are a little old, and will certainly confuse you I apologize, I will adjust your steps to meet the much more simple current version.

1. Disable automatic driver updates -- I personally don't need to, but some hardware will auto-update.
2. Uninstall all current drivers and extensions -- Check 'pnputil' anyway, even with a fresh install.
3. After uninstalling, install my package then restart -- I added service terminate to the installer to make things easier.
4. Enable stereo mix (to avoid popping sound from speakers) -- My S1220A and ALC 889 did not pop *, but some other ALC's might.
5. Updated 'How to get the most from DTS Interactive' here, no preset .xml edit needed.

Not needed:

> Registry cleaning, I updated the driver files a while ago, they will unregister on uninstall, the installer will do the rest on install.
> Realtek policy or policy edits, only if you want extra features to show in the Realtek app (I don't use it myself).
> Applying SPDIF formats, not really required, unless your receiver supports Atmos over SPDIF.
> No DTS apps are needed for multichannel, they are for stereo, no need to install.
> "Do I need Nahimic, Boom3D, Sound Blaster or similar apps?" -- No, and I only use Equalizer APO to upmix stereo to 5.1
> Software dependencies, ignore this unless you have issues running the DTS apps.

Note for the older provided Sound Unbound (comes with license), disable Windows Store auto-updates.

* Start-stop pop.