• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to quickly & easily fix coil-whine(coil choke noise)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I see, that sounds worrisome. I was hoping this would be fine for 5 years, but if it causes me issues within that timeframe that's going to suck.
It cant cause issues because it's not electrically conductive - worst case is it cracks, and some of the noise returns.

Firstly, understand the high-pitched noise can be caused by vibrations in electromagnetic coils. When a current passes through an inductor (an electronic component), it causes its copper wire to vibrate against its core with a high, audible frequency. This annoying sound is what we refer to as coil whine.

This can be fixed by simply:
1) Securing the inductor coils.
2) See if limiting the framerate, changes the amount of whine. Example, if you are in a menu with vsync off and getting 999fps, make adjustments.
3) Use a program such as MSI afterburner to change fan speeds to see if the voltage change/cooling makes a difference. -> Power limiting, overclocking, underclocking and undervolting. Test to see what makes a difference and correct the culprit.
4) All failing this -> Insulating the PC with sound dampening foam.

Alternatively, whatever size or piece of equipment I make and improve custom components. If you have the money I can provide a solution to almost any problem.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Your name concerns me.

Firstly, understand the high-pitched noise can be caused by vibrations in electromagnetic coils. When a current passes through an inductor (an electronic component), it causes its copper wire to vibrate against its core with a high, audible frequency. This annoying sound is what we refer to as coil whine.

This can be fixed by simply:
1) Securing the inductor coils. They seem to be sealed.
2) See if limiting the framerate, changes the amount of whine. Example, if you are in a menu with vsync off and getting 999fps, make adjustments. Doesn't work. The frequency of the whine only spaces out. (Zzzzz to Z-z-z-z-z, matching frame rates)
3) Use a program such as MSI afterburner to change fan speeds to see if the voltage change/cooling makes a difference. -> Power limiting, overclocking, underclocking and undervolting. Test to see what makes a difference and correct the culprit. Tried this, doesn't work.
4) All failing this -> Insulating the PC with sound dampening foam. Did this with a thermal pad, worked sort of.

Alternatively, whatever size or piece of equipment I make and improve custom components. If you have the money I can provide a solution to almost any problem.

Answers in the Quote above.

Sadly this is a Laptop, the Asus Scar 18 specifically. Seems that they simply dropped the ball with their power solution and nothing can be done. It's kind of drowned out when you have the fans running, but it makes Silent Mode when you want it for those moments of winding down not so very silent.

I guess nothing can really be done.

Unless you know a sound insulating foam that's safe to squash against a motherboard beneath the keyboard in a laptop chassis with only 5mm space? ;d

can you pinpoint the exact location (use an ear trumpet or newer device) and send a pic

It cant cause issues because it's not electrically conductive - worst case is it cracks, and some of the noise returns.
It's more-so the part where it'll look more obvious and I'll not be able to send it into warranty because it's flaking up and stuff.

It's more-so the part where it'll look more obvious and I'll not be able to send it into warranty because it's flaking up and stuff.
Um, your warranty is completely void the moment you apply superglue to a card. Not something to be worried about.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Think i got another clue into the coil whine shenanigans:

PSU's always have a happy range they're at their most efficient, and you're likely to get less noise within that range. It's possible going too far above or below that happy spot will increase noise - this explains why some people find FPS caps help and others do not, as a high wattage CPU for example could be pushing their PSU past the happy spot already (or a low wattage CPU on a 1500W PSU, it's below the happy range)

This would also explain the conflicting reports of gold/platinum PSU's helping a lot of people but not all of them, as it increases the odds of a more efficient PSU while some PSU's *just* quality for their 80+ rating, while still being overall cruddy PSUs

Seems like components are rated for noise suppression in deciblels - so they literally do mean noise noise, just outside of human hearing. When it passes outside the range those parts can suppress, the noise can become high freqency enough for humans to hear - and it's tied into ripple that's measured in PSUs, as those ripple values getting larger makes it harder to suppress said noise

Page i'm stealing some snips from:
How to suppress five kinds of ripple noise of switching power supply? (linkedin.com)

For example, for a common 24V power supply, the ripple suppression ratio of the voltage-controlled DC/DC converter is generally 45-50dB
This i can't say i truly understand, but we're dealing with both AC-DC and DC-DC inside a PC

Suppression of low frequency ripple

a. Increase the inductance and capacitance parameters of the output low-frequency filter to reduce the low-frequency ripple to the required index.

b. The feedforward control method is adopted to reduce the low frequency ripple component.

4,High frequency ripple suppression

a. Increase the operating frequency of the switching power supply to increase the high-frequency ripple frequency, which is conducive to suppressing the output high-frequency ripple.

b. Increase the output high-frequency filter to suppress the output high-frequency ripple.
I've seen VRM settings in some boards BIOS with control of VRM switching frequencies, i'm unaware of the drawbacks to doing so but it may be as simple as raising those values on certain boards can help. I assume various tweaks like disabling C-States is a method of artificially doing this, as higher power draw forces higher workloads to keep them in the higher working states?

This part is again beyond my current knowledge, but common mode noise is what the ferrite bead chokes remove:
5,Common Mode Ripple Noise

Due to the parasitic capacitance between the power device and the radiator bottom plate and the primary and secondary sides of the transformer, and the parasitic inductance of the wire, when the rectangular wave voltage acts on the power device, the output end of the switching power supply will generate common mode ripple noise. Reduce and control the parasitic capacitance between power devices, transformers and chassis ground, and add common mode suppression inductance and capacitance on the output side to reduce the output common mode ripple noise.
So add a ferrite choke between the devices AND on the AC cable to the PSU??

7,UHF resonant noise

The ultra-high frequency resonance noise mainly comes from the diode junction capacitance during reverse recovery of the high-frequency rectifier diode, and the resonance of the power device junction capacitance and the line parasitic inductance when the power device switches. The frequency is generally 1-10MHz. Measures such as switching tubes with small capacitance and reducing wiring length can reduce ultra-high frequency resonance noise.
Shorter cable length can remove UHF noise - i wonder how this goes with pigtail PSU cables

As an example with VDSL internet (extremely common in the UK and AU), having more than one phone socket in the house seriously harms performance as the signal goes past your modem, hits the unused far socket(s) and bounces back as out of sync interference. The unused section also picks up AC electrical interference as radio signals, which interferes with the signal. Common mode chokes are meant to filter this out, but can be over-whelmed.
Using the end cables could therefore help if it follows those rules, and ironically so could using both plugs of a single cable instead of one cable per pair (as we all advise for high wattage GPU's to prevent them melting, these days)

Assuming it follows the same rules, using the end connectors would be less noisy - but cutting them off entirely and using the closer connector, would be best overall
(Or using after market cables with just one straight connection)
1682655764896.png

Um, your warranty is completely void the moment you apply superglue to a card. Not something to be worried about.
Varies by country - here, they'd have to prove the user modification caused the fault.
As an example, if the card was recalled due to safety issues over the 12 pin connector, the user could send in a naked card with the stock cooler in a seperate box because it had been watercooled - and it'd be accepted because the users actions did not contribute to the reason for warranty (whatever design fault caused the product to be not fit for purpose)

Last edited:
Varies by country - here, they'd have to prove the user modification caused the fault.
I do believe that is the same here, but good luck enforcing your rights here on that little niggle.
Think i got another clue into the coil whine shenanigans:

PSU's always have a happy range they're at their most efficient, and you're likely to get less noise within that range. It's possible going too far above or below that happy spot will increase noise - this explains why some people find FPS caps help and others do not, as a high wattage CPU for example could be pushing their PSU past the happy spot already (or a low wattage CPU on a 1500W PSU, it's below the happy range)

This would also explain the conflicting reports of gold/platinum PSU's helping a lot of people but not all of them, as it increases the odds of a more efficient PSU while some PSU's *just* quality for their 80+ rating, while still being overall cruddy PSUs
That sounds very reasonable. I'd be very inclined to lend it towards credibility, the problem is proving it. With so very many CPU/GPU/Mobo/PSU combinations possible, it would be an extremely daunting task to prove.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Big edits to that post as i read up more on the electrical noise, what a fantastic document/resource

Key highlights:

1. Stick a common mode choke (ferrite bead) between the two noisy components at the receiving GPU end, AND one on the AC power cable right before it enters the PSU (to remove noise BEFORE it goes AC-DC). This can also help filter noise from your ground.

2. Try alternating which connector you use from pig-tail power cables, shorter cables are better in general, but un-used cabling picks up more interference as noise than active cabling (this is what the choke catches, and reduces)

3. Better PSU's create less noise and supress more noise

4. DC-DC suppresion via a choke on the GPU cable wont help if the noise is from the PC converting noisy AC-DC, or a noisy ground. Put a choke on the power cable too. They used to be included on VGA and DVI cables, this *used* to be common, even in molex and PCI-E cables in PSUs but dropped off as everything went digital

Last edited:

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Alphacooled
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop
Memory 48GB Kingston DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC EKWB @ ~2000/1275
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro UK English
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Sucks that this would void the warranty. My 6700 XT sounds like a swarm of grasshoppers with high FPS.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Sucks that this would void the warranty. My 6700 XT sounds like a swarm of grasshoppers with high FPS.
try the clip on ferrite beads in both locations, and changes to the PCI-E cables (zero cost involved in changing that, and no parts needed)

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
So add a ferrite choke between the devices AND on the AC cable to the PSU??
AND one on the AC power cable right before it enters the PSU (to remove noise BEFORE it goes AC-DC).
Bear in mind that the AC signal will quite comprehensively saturate the ferrite with magnetic flux, and all you are doing is introducing a voltage drop.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
try the clip on ferrite beads in both locations, and changes to the PCI-E cables (zero cost involved in changing that, and no parts needed)
Would need the removal of the cooler which has warranty stickers. I may just to change to a better cooler if I'm going to break those...

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Not by enough to make any difference in stability or performance.
No, assuming the grid is stable and within spec.

At best, the effect would be little to none, and at worst it would be actively harmful.

The better solution would be a pure side wave UPS.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Cooling Custom loop
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Would be interesting to monitor the grid's stability. AFAIK we have 220-230 volts yet I haven't ever probed a plug.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Bear in mind that the AC signal will quite comprehensively saturate the ferrite with magnetic flux, and all you are doing is introducing a voltage drop.
They're each designed to catch specific frequencies - and only from the signals on the outer surface of the wiring, not the power flow internally.
EMI + copper wiring = AC voltage, even on a power cable being used for DC power. Small amounts we usually dont care about, until it reaches a point where it makes our devices scream at us.

One key to understanding how this works is that external interference travels on the outer skin of the copper wiring, NOT the inner part of it like a power sources does. It's known as the "Skin effect" - Common Mode chokes on the outside are only filtering out the noise skimming along the outside, not the actual power/data signal internally. This is why stranded wire is more prone to interference, as it has more surface area to collect noise.

When the signal reaches the end, it's still got to deal with that extra power, even if its a small amount - but because its a VARYING small amount, devices designed for DC currents can struggle with them.

(Twisting the wiring in pairs reduces how much straight material there is to absorb these signals, people forget how BIG radio signals are, the wavelength at 2.4Ghz from bluetooth, wifi and microwaves is 12.5cm
Conductive material needs to be 12.5CM or a fraction of (1/2, 1/4 1/8 etc) to reliably receive it, so twisted wiring prevents it receiving those signals.

From NBN co's common mode choke testing:
We have carefully measured the characteristics of home-made chokes such as those above in our labs and achieved 40dB and greater common mode attenuation and virtually zero differential mode attenuation (when the pairs are fully twisted)
Notice how it affects common mode signals by 40db, but differential mode is 0db. You can guess which of those is the one we don't want filtered.

Signal Interference and Cable Shielding | Multi/Cable Corporation (multicable.com)

1682740620600.png

The radio noise interference we get is common mode noise, where it effectively makes devices act like they have a voltage difference between their ground sources - because external power is being added 'wirelessly' via EMI even in small amounts, and has to be filtered back to a common value between the devices somehow

I'll spoiler tag below as it goes off into how FM radio and AC electrics cause interference to VDSL and how the chokes work there, for those that want the technical info - some of it is beyond my understanding, for sure

A common mode choke for a VDSL pair – LF1260 core – owenduffy.net
This is where i follow the experts advice without fully knowing the why:

1682739699859.png

Above is the measured common mode impedance R,X of the choke. It is designed to peak between 3.5 and 7MHz to afford some moderately high impedance at both frequencies.
Because the common external noise that screws with VDSL is in the 3.5MHz to 7MHz range

This is the NVBco, australian government research into this and it's extremely thorough - and then the government changed and they ignored the advice and didn't friggin implement it.
nbn-Amateur-Radio-guide-publication.pdf (nbnco.com.au)

The actual frequencies used by a VDSL2 service are not set in concrete but are selected by the node and modem in collaboration from the set of all possible tones between about 20KHz and 17MHz
They explain that the devices negotiate and choose what frequencies to use, and then random interference - such as from a home users FM radio transmitter randomly appears later - and suddenly those working frequencies have issues. The default choice is that if noise is detected, shut those frequencies off and don't re-use them until the device is rebooted.
The ferrite chokes allow the noise from within the wire to continue, but filter out the ones travelling on the OUTSIDE of the wiring allowing the modems to use the frequencies above that FM radio could randomly jam up allowing you to avoid those speed drops over time that are only fixed by rebooting the DSL modem.

When I mention AC noise I dont mean from the grid - I mean *local* within the house, on the same circuit - often in the same room or power strip, but usually just sharing some wiring internally in the walls.
In the US i keep hearing stories of how you guys do ground wiring totally different to everywhere else, and that can also result in a lot more electical noise - in some situations, no ground at all.

You guys cant tell me you've never heard the noise come out from a speaker when lights flicked on or off, or seen lights flicker when a fridge compressor turns on? that's the sort of noise it helps filter out, and cheap electronics and power bricks cause a *LOT* of high frequency short range noise that good old straight unfiltered power cables can receive - be they in the walls, or the PC.

Pure sine wave UPS only helps if they're always active, otherwise that's only relevant on battery mode - not many are always active and always filtering as it trashes the batteries.

Last edited:
System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Off topic, I'd like to give huge thanks to @Mussels for a head up about ferrite cores. My ADSL signal was terrible, with a huge noise margin, ping and speed drops whenever the network updates the IP (so I need to reboot to get higher ones).
Found a bunch of ferrite cores in a electric repair shop and decided to use all of them. So I've put one group just before the phone/adsl splitter, the other right after the splitter, and a smaller group just before the router/modem header.
The results are great. Ping dropped from around 40-50ms to 3-10 range, noise margin is up to 30% lower, and it doesn't reset to the lowest speed on each IP change automatically.
IMG_20230429_125016.jpgIMG_20230429_124910.jpg

On topic, super glueing my 6900XT didn't eliminate the whine, but just lowered the frequency of the pitch.
I will try to get some bigger ferrite cores, preferably the split ones, so I can experiment by putting them on the GPU power cables.

At best, the effect would be little to none, and at worst it would be actively harmful.
No. Ferrite chokes can not do harm. That's not how they work. Physics is a thing. You're understanding of how they work seems to need some research. Sadly, I'm not going to write a dissertation on the subject. The simple point being that Ferrite Chokes filter out "noise" in whatever signal passes through them. They can not and do not cause harm.

The better solution would be a pure side wave UPS.
That would indeed be a great solution in a perfect operating environment. Sadly, most home are far from perfect. Often they are an electromagnetic soup of noise. Ferrite chokes at worst will do nothing, and at best help greatly. A UPS that filters output power is a wonderful, but expensive, solution.

They're each designed to catch specific frequencies - and only from the signals on the outer surface of the wiring, not the power flow internally.
EMI + copper wiring = AC voltage, even on a power cable being used for DC power. Small amounts we usually dont care about, until it reaches a point where it makes our devices scream at us.

One key to understanding how this works is that external interference travels on the outer skin of the copper wiring, NOT the inner part of it like a power sources does. It's known as the "Skin effect" - Common Mode chokes on the outside are only filtering out the noise skimming along the outside, not the actual power/data signal internally. This is why stranded wire is more prone to interference, as it has more surface area to collect noise.

When the signal reaches the end, it's still got to deal with that extra power, even if its a small amount - but because its a VARYING small amount, devices designed for DC currents can struggle with them.

(Twisting the wiring in pairs reduces how much straight material there is to absorb these signals, people forget how BIG radio signals are, the wavelength at 2.4Ghz from bluetooth, wifi and microwaves is 12.5cm
Conductive material needs to be 12.5CM or a fraction of (1/2, 1/4 1/8 etc) to reliably receive it, so twisted wiring prevents it receiving those signals.

From NBN co's common mode choke testing:

Notice how it affects common mode signals by 40db, but differential mode is 0db. You can guess which of those is the one we don't want filtered.

Signal Interference and Cable Shielding | Multi/Cable Corporation (multicable.com)

View attachment 293651
The radio noise interference we get is common mode noise, where it effectively makes devices act like they have a voltage difference between their ground sources - because external power is being added 'wirelessly' via EMI even in small amounts, and has to be filtered back to a common value between the devices somehow

I'll spoiler tag below as it goes off into how FM radio and AC electrics cause interference to VDSL and how the chokes work there, for those that want the technical info - some of it is beyond my understanding, for sure

A common mode choke for a VDSL pair – LF1260 core – owenduffy.net
This is where i follow the experts advice without fully knowing the why:

View attachment 293650

Because the common external noise that screws with VDSL is in the 3.5MHz to 7MHz range

This is the NVBco, australian government research into this and it's extremely thorough - and then the government changed and they ignored the advice and didn't friggin implement it.
nbn-Amateur-Radio-guide-publication.pdf (nbnco.com.au)

They explain that the devices negotiate and choose what frequencies to use, and then random interference - such as from a home users FM radio transmitter randomly appears later - and suddenly those working frequencies have issues. The default choice is that if noise is detected, shut those frequencies off and don't re-use them until the device is rebooted.
The ferrite chokes allow the noise from within the wire to continue, but filter out the ones travelling on the OUTSIDE of the wiring allowing the modems to use the frequencies above that FM radio could randomly jam up allowing you to avoid those speed drops over time that are only fixed by rebooting the DSL modem.

When I mention AC noise I dont mean from the grid - I mean *local* within the house, on the same circuit - often in the same room or power strip, but usually just sharing some wiring internally in the walls.
In the US i keep hearing stories of how you guys do ground wiring totally different to everywhere else, and that can also result in a lot more electical noise - in some situations, no ground at all.

You guys cant tell me you've never heard the noise come out from a speaker when lights flicked on or off, or seen lights flicker when a fridge compressor turns on? that's the sort of noise it helps filter out, and cheap electronics and power bricks cause a *LOT* of high frequency short range noise that good old straight unfiltered power cables can receive - be they in the walls, or the PC.

Pure sine wave UPS only helps if they're always active, otherwise that's only relevant on battery mode - not many are always active and always filtering as it trashes the batteries.
Lot's of good info here.

On topic, super glueing my 6900XT didn't eliminate the whine, but just lowered the frequency of the pitch.
If it lowered the pitch then the volume had to be lowered with it. But is it an improvement for you?
I will try to get some bigger ferrite cores, preferably the split ones, so I can experiment by putting them on the GPU power cables.
Bigger isn't always better. Try adding one after another and adding one to the input power cable going into the PC. After that any effect is going to be very limited.

Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
If it lowered the pitch then the volume had to be lowered with it. But is it an improvement for you?
I can't say really. Can't replicate the same environment, as I changed all the fans, and did other stuff to the system, and I'm lazy to do the paper cone thing. But I'll update when I do.
Bigger isn't always better. Try adding one after another and adding one to the input power cable going into the PC. After that any effect is going to be very limited.
I meant to put them on a psu-gpu cable, as Mussels mentioned a while back, but a few on the socket-psu part wouldn't do any harm neither.

Software W10 LTSC 21H2