• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is a Hamilton Beach TrueAir air purifier sufficient to prevent dust buildup in my PC, or should I also get extra case fans?

Is an air purifier sufficient for preventing dust buildup in my PC, or should I also get more case fans? I heard dust buildup is reduced with more case fans; that makes sense, though I don’t know if that’s true. I was looking at this purifier. Is this good enough, or should I get something else? It’s the 160 square foot one since my room is 150 square feet. https://www.amazon.com/hamilton-beach-04384-eliminator-permenant/dp/b003riubg0

I have a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2-compact/white-tg-clear-tint/

It comes with 2 140mm front fans and 1 120 mm rear fan. That means I have space for two 120 or 140 mm top fans and 1 120 mm bottom fan. I can replace the 2 140 mm front fans with 3 120 mm fans as well. What would be the best approach to reduce dust buildup?

System Name AlderLake
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Not sure about that, but curious about the result after few months though... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Is an air purifier sufficient for preventing dust buildup in my PC, or should I also get more case fans? I heard dust buildup is reduced with more case fans; that makes sense, though I don’t know if that’s true. I was looking at this purifier. Is this good enough, or should I get something else? It’s the 160 square foot one since my room is 150 square feet. https://www.amazon.com/hamilton-beach-04384-eliminator-permenant/dp/b003riubg0

I have a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2-compact/white-tg-clear-tint/

It comes with 2 140mm front fans and 1 120 mm rear fan. That means I have space for two 120 or 140 mm top fans and 1 120 mm bottom fan. I can replace the 2 140 mm front fans with 3 120 mm fans as well. What would be the best approach to reduce dust buildup?

Having positive pressure through dust filters can reduce dust build up. It has nothing to do with having more case fans though if you have more exhaust fans than intake you end up with the PC pulling air through every available hole due to negative pressure.

You'd likely need an air purifier rated around 500sq feet to reduce dust for your room size.

I use these in every room and they seem to slightly reduce dust at best.

Air purifiers are only worth buying if you want to breath better not to reduce PC dust keep in mind with all of them you have to change filters every 6-12 months.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus Block, HWLABS Copper 240/40 + 240/30, D5/Res, 4x Noctua A12x25, 2x A4x10, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MT 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FCLK, 160 ns tRFC, active cooled
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear, MX900 dual gas VESA mount
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, full transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 8 KHz Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White, Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19044.4046
Benchmark Scores Legendary
No, air purifiers will reduce dust, allergens and pollen in the room, but they won't prevent buildup inside the PC.

I have a good air purifier and I still need to clean my filters and my PC on occasion.

Dust inside a PC is just something you'll have to live with.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 3x TL-B12 V2, 2x TL-B12 V1
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) JBL Bar 700
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Not sure about that, but curious about the result after few months though... :D

(Personally I wouldn't buy anything named Hamilton though....But that's just me maybe..)
Yeah, I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it for a few months and see how it is lol. And damn I didn’t know Hamilton Beach was a bad brand. I was only considering this one since it’s the cheapest air purifier I could find with a reusable filter.

Having positive pressure through dust filters can reduce dust build up. It has nothing to do with having more case fans though if you have more exhaust fans than intake you end up with the PC pulling air through every available hole due to negative pressure.

You'd likely need an air purifier rated around 500sq feet to reduce dust for your room size.

I use these in every room and they seem to slightly reduce dust at best.

Air purifiers are only worth buying if you want to breath better not to reduce PC dust keep in mind with all of them you have to change filters every 6-12 months.
Oh okay I see. So, would it actually be bad to add an extra bottom fan and 2 more top fans then? I suppose the bottom fan would at least help since it’s an extra intake fan.

and I see, why is a 500 square feet air purifier required for a 150 square feet room? I suppose it’s much much better at getting rid of dust even in a smaller room. I’ll look into that air purifier then; I was only looking into this one since it’s the cheapest one I could find with a reusable filter; I don’t know if the filter is actually high-quality though since it’s not a HEPA filter, so I may need to replace it anyway.

Would an air purifier at least help with reducing dust buildup in other parts of my room like my keyboard and stuff I might want to resell in the future like old parts and games? I do have pollen allergies, so I hope the purifier will at least help with that, and better breathing in general would be good too. My Hamilton Beach one is probably a pretty bad air filter since it lacks a HEPA filter, though I’m not sure how to check if a filter is good or bad.

No, air purifiers will reduce dust, allergens and pollen in the room, but they won't prevent buildup inside the PC.

I have a good air purifier and I still need to clean my filters and my PC on occasion.

Dust inside a PC is just something you'll have to live with.

Would an air purifier at least help with reducing dust buildup in other parts of my room like my keyboard and stuff I might want to resell in the future like old parts and games? I do have pollen allergies, so I hope the purifier will at least help with that, and better breathing in general would be good too. My Hamilton Beach one is probably a pretty bad air filter since it lacks a HEPA filter, though I’m not sure how to check if a filter is good or bad. Which one do you have, and should I invest in a more expensive one?

also,how often do you need to clean your PC?

Metro Datavac works great.
Thanks! I’ll buy that and clwan my PC when I need to then.

System Name AlderLake
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
how often do you need to clean your PC?
Depends on how fast the dust build-up is.

I do it usually 1x in the 6 months.
Edit: Ah you meant that question for @dgianstefani probably ..Ok.

If you have pets you probably have to clean your pc out more often.
Not counting your goldfish. :D

Last edited:
Depends on how fast the dust build-up is.

I do it usually 1x in the 6 months.
Edit: Ah you meant that question for @dgianstefani probably ..Ok.
That’s still good to know. I’ll clean it every 6 months as well then too to make sure dust buildup isn’t too bad. Thanks!

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
An air purifier will help but it would be best to slap some air filters on your intake case fans if you can.

Every time you walk across carpet you stir up some dust and fibers. This is kind of gross but people shed skin cells constantly. If you have pets they shed fur and dander. If you smoke then there's the issue with tar. An air purifier can only cycle the air so many times per hour so it's not perfect.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus Block, HWLABS Copper 240/40 + 240/30, D5/Res, 4x Noctua A12x25, 2x A4x10, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MT 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FCLK, 160 ns tRFC, active cooled
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear, MX900 dual gas VESA mount
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, full transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 8 KHz Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White, Jellykey, lubed/modded
Yeah, I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it for a few months and see how it is lol. And damn I didn’t know Hamilton Beach was a bad brand. I was only considering this one since it’s the cheapest air purifier I could find with a reusable filter.

Would an air purifier at least help with reducing dust buildup in other parts of my room like my keyboard and stuff I might want to resell in the future like old parts and games? I do have pollen allergies, so I hope the purifier will at least help with that, and better breathing in general would be good too. My Hamilton Beach one is probably a pretty bad air filter since it lacks a HEPA filter, though I’m not sure how to check if a filter is good or bad. Which one do you have, and should I invest in a more expensive one?

Don't go for cheapest - look for true hepa/hepa, a large filter (activated carbon is what is needed to remove VOC, and this has an absorbent capacity), small filters are borderline useless since you'll have to replace them several times a year to maintain effectiveness.

Noise is a big one with air purifiers, the filters only need to be large, preferably have a pre filter you can clean, and have a hepa rating. Mine is audible but not too bad.

Purifiers won't really fix dust buildup, that's just a fact of life, since your skin is always ablating. They will help with allergens, general air quality and hygiene though.

You'll save money in long run by buying a purifier with a large and good filter that only needs replacing once every year or so if used daily for an hour or two, mine is rated for 12 months and costs £20.

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS PROART RTX 4070 Ti-Super OC 16GB, 2670MHz, 0.93V
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data), ASUS BW-16D1HT (BluRay)
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White, MODDIY 12VHPWR Cable
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Instead of messing around with air filters and purifiers and all that just clean the PC out once every month or two with a Metro Datavac Electric Duster.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 3x TL-B12 V2, 2x TL-B12 V1
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) JBL Bar 700
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Yeah I don’t use filters because to me they just get in the way.. I have the blower and it’s awesome :)

Oh okay I see. So, would it actually be bad to add an extra bottom fan and 2 more top fans then? I suppose the bottom fan would at least help since it’s an extra intake fan.

and I see, why is a 500 square feet air purifier required for a 150 square feet room? I suppose it’s much much better at getting rid of dust even in a smaller room. I’ll look into that air purifier then; I was only looking into this one since it’s the cheapest one I could find with a reusable filter; I don’t know if the filter is actually high-quality though since it’s not a HEPA filter, so I may need to replace it anyway.

Would an air purifier at least help with reducing dust buildup in other parts of my room like my keyboard and stuff I might want to resell in the future like old parts and games? I do have pollen allergies, so I hope the purifier will at least help with that, and better breathing in general would be good too. My Hamilton Beach one is probably a pretty bad air filter since it lacks a HEPA filter, though I’m not sure how to check if a filter is good or bad.

Thanks! I’ll buy that and clwan my PC when I need to then.
I'm going to give you a sort of a yes on your question. Because over the years I have ran both a small (and good) air purifier and a very large one in my work room.

These are my findings.

Yes the large one is better than the small one in reducing dust particles in a room faster.

Yes the small one is better than none when you have computer equipment in your room.

You will always have to clean out your rig. The question comes how many times a year that you need to clean out your rig.

In my case, because of my heavy use of my computer, without a air purifier it was every 2 months or less. A lot of dust even with the filters on the rig will be on the components.

With the small air purifier near by, it was 3 to 4 months but usually 3 times a year.

With the Breath Smart (classic) that I have It's at most twice a year and with that its just less than 10 minutes with a compressor. Overall not bad on the dust and well within safety considerations.

You know that dust is a major killer of components so keep your rig clean and good air flow and your rig it will last for years.

An air purifier will help but it would be best to slap some air filters on your intake case fans if you can.

Every time you walk across carpet you stir up some dust and fibers. This is kind of gross but people shed skin cells constantly. If you have pets they shed fur and dander. If you smoke then there's the issue with tar. An air purifier can only cycle the air so many times per hour so it's not perfect.
That makes sense. I believe my Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact case comes with front, top, and bottom air filters, so hopefully that’s good enough. I suppose I don’t really need top and bottom air filters since I don’t have intake fans there, but why not since I have them.

Don't go for cheapest - look for true hepa/hepa, a large filter (activated carbon is what is needed to remove VOC, and this has an absorbent capacity), small filters are borderline useless since you'll have to replace them several times a year to maintain effectiveness.

Noise is a big one with air purifiers, the filters only need to be large, preferably have a pre filter you can clean, and have a hepa rating. Mine is audible but not too bad.

Purifiers won't really fix dust buildup, that's just a fact of life, since your skin is always ablating. They will help with allergens, general air quality and hygiene though.

You'll save money in long run by buying a purifier with a large and good filter that only needs replacing once every year or so if used daily for an hour or two, mine is rated for 12 months and costs £20.
oh okay thag makes sense. I’ll look for an actual good air purifier then with a prefilter, a true HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter. That makes sense that I’d have to replace small filters more. I thought this permanent air filter was actually permanent and would lasy a while, but 20 euros a month for a quality air purifier sounds better for sure. And that’s true, I didn’t consider noise, yet large ones would definitely be better for that.

and I see, so they won’t really help much anyway with dust. Well, at least there will be better air quality and then. Thanks!

Instead of messing around with air filters and purifiers and all that just clean the PC out once every month or two with a Metro Datavac Electric Duster.
Thag makes sense. That’s much more useful, so I’ll buy that and make use of that. Thanks!

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, Logitech K800
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Enterprise IoT LTSC
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
On my Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 I went full ghetto and replaced both side panels with 99 cent furnace filters from Menard's. I found a size that fits perfectly plus using them lowered temps inside the case by around 20 degrees F.

Yeah I don’t use filters because to me they just get in the way.. I have the blower and it’s awesome :)
That makes sense, so filters have their own issues too. I’ll definitely get that Data Vac blower to clean up my PC. Thanks!
I'm going to give you a sort of a yes on your question. Because over the years I have ran both a small (and good) air purifier and a very large one in my work room.

These are my findings.

Yes the large one is better than the small one in reducing dust particles in a room faster.

Yes the small one is better than none when you have computer equipment in your room.

You will always have to clean out your rig. The question comes how many times a year that you need to clean out your rig.

In my case, because of my heavy use of my computer, without a air purifier it was every 2 months or less. A lot of dust even with the filters on the rig will be on the components.

With the small air purifier near by, it was 3 to 4 months but usually 3 times a year.

With the Breath Smart (classic) that I have It's at most twice a year and with that its just less than 10 minutes with a compressor. Overall not bad on the dust and well within safety considerations.

You know that dust is a major killer of components so keep your rig clean and good air flow and your rig it will last for years.
I see, so it’d be better to get a larger one. I don’t know if my small purifier is good to be honest, but hopefully it’s good enough to get it down to 3 to 4 months as you said. 2 months would definitely be quite annoying for me to clean. I’ll look into a larger one then to get it down to twice a year and just 10 minutes of cleaning.

right, I’m definitely very scared of dust since I want my rig to last for many years. I’ll be sure to clean it out properly as much as I need to avoid any dust issues.
On my Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 I went full ghetto and replaced both side panels with 99 cent furnace filters from Menard's. I found a size that fits perfectly plus using them lowered temps inside the case by around 20 degrees F.
That’s definitely an interesting solution, and I’m glad to see that it’s helped so much. I’ll look into some of those furnace filters and see if I can find a size that fits my case perfectly as well. Lower temps are always nice as well as less dust. Thanks!

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MEG ACE
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 8x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB TeamGroup T-Create Expert DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper, Logitech G600
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
As someone who used to live at home with a lot of dogs, and parents that chain smoked, I would have to clean my system out regularly.

I was recommended these about 10 years or so ago and they work wonders. They are magnetic dust filters you can put on the outside of your case if magnets will stick to it. I want to say they also have kits that use a bit of adhesive to help them stick if your case isn't magnetic.

They do cover normal fan sizes and some filters are made for specific cases. They used to make custom to order filters, but I don't know if they still do.

You used to only be able to order from them directly, from South Africa, but it appears they have broadened their distribution to other online stores.

To clean you only need to run a Swiffer over them or you can use cold water, just make sure they are fully dry before putting them on again.

Demcifilter.com | Computers & Electronics Dust Filters

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
As someone who used to live at home with a lot of dogs, and parents that chain smoked, I would have to clean my system out regularly.

I was recommended these about 10 years or so ago and they work wonders. They are magnetic dust filters you can put on the outside of your case if magnets will stick to it. I want to say they also have kits that use a bit of adhesive to help them stick if your case isn't magnetic.

They do cover normal fan sizes and some filters are made for specific cases. They used to make custom to order filters, but I don't know if they still do.

You used to only be able to order from them directly, from South Africa, but it appears they have broadened their distribution to other online stores.

To clean you only need to run a Swiffer over them or you can use cold water, just make sure they are fully dry before putting them on again.

Demcifilter.com | Computers & Electronics Dust Filters
I have these on my SM570. They're good.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Air purifiers absolutely help in keeping your gear cleaner. My home is old, built in the 50s so dust is a constant battle. As a result, I have purifiers in every room that run 24/7. Keeping the filters clean is imperative with your purifier. Whether you go with a replaceable filter or the kind you remove and hand wash or vacuum off.
Despite having them on all the time, dust build up will still occur, it's inevitable. The scale will be far lower with a purifier.
In regards to your question about adding an intake to the bottom of your case. That's going to require far more attention. PSU intakes and lower intakes always get gummed up faster than any of the other intakes on my cases If they are filtered (as they should be). Altho a quick vacuum and the exteriors are clean again but...you will find that very fine dust gets through your filters. A data vac is great for most of the easy to get to areas. Then there's the pita to clean dust. It seems to stick to everything via static, especially fan blades. This is the stuff that requires
anti-static brushes to clean off completely. You can get them anywhere. Anti-static paint brushes, makeup brushes, acid brushes etc... there are a variety to choose from.
I despise cleaning my cases. So, I never leave my rigs running, never allow pets in my office and always leave my purifier on high when I'm not in there. Other than quick filter vacs once a month, I generally only need to do deep cleanings every 6-8 months.
GL with your dust war!!!

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
If you want to avoid dust, you'll want to look up the Air Exchange Rate for the loosest-spec Cleanrooms.

Consumer air cleaners are roughly based off general HVAC AERs, and woefully insufficient for those with MCS/Allergies or long-term computer equipment operation (like a server room, or homelab).

For general dust reduction, you'd be better off with a couple pleated MERV8+ filters in an A-frame arrangement off the back of a box fan. Noisy, but considerably more air exchanges through the filter media than most 'air cleaners'.

Semi-related:
avoid ionizers.
They'll charge the air, and you *WILL* ESD into anything and everything at a lower potential.

That is a good unit. You will also need to remember that regular vacuuming is also essential for keeping dust out of a particular environment. Nothing is ever perfect, but simple methods will help greatly.

What? If one can reduce that amount of "stuff" floating in a given airspace, then how much of that same "stuff" is pulled through a PC case will naturally be reduced as well. This is simple physic's, math and common sense.

Semi-related:
avoid ionizers.
They'll charge the air, and you *WILL* ESD into anything and everything at a lower potential.
THIS! Avoid air ionizers!

I see, so it’d be better to get a larger one. I don’t know if my small purifier is good to be honest, but hopefully it’s good enough to get it down to 3 to 4 months as you said. 2 months would definitely be quite annoying for me to clean. I’ll look into a larger one then to get it down to twice a year and just 10 minutes of cleaning.
It's whatever you can afford. Lets go with that first. I like to tackle the entire room and not one small area as of course you are also breathing all of that dust as well.

A used Bionaire will cost you around here $25 to $50. New ones cost a lot more. Air filter Cartridges will cost you $10 to $14 each change. But you can clean out the filter with a vacuum cleaner to make them last longer. Or you can make your own filter as well for $1-2 dollars like I do for the smaller units. You can place your smaller unit closer to your working area/ computer and get almost the same results as the larger unit.

A larger unit like my Breath Smart will cost out $400 new. Used $150 and up. Filters can be expensive but you can get generic. Filter cleaning is important and has to be done at least every 2 months as it really picks up the dust in your room/area and you just use a vacuum cleaner for it. Filters cost $50+ for generic $80+ for regular. You can make them last depending on your environment 6 months to a year. I'm in the 8 month range but as stated before I vacuum my filter as needed and that is at minimum 2 months

If you really want to get inventive, here are a lot of videos on the DIY aspect on youtube.

For the record many of these do the job of getting dust out of the air but the deciding factor is the filter itself with all air purifiers/diy

For the Record. One of my successful businesses (before retiring) was in building cleaning and maintenance. I had to know all of this information on what is to be used in HVAC systems and ratings.

There will always be tradeoffs. This information given is opinion only. It is not gospel. It is what works for me.

So in Ending. IMHO

If you do not have the money. You might want to do a Diy project.
If you have some money you can go and buy a small used air purifier.
If you have more money you buy a used large air purifer.

If you have eyeballs of money then you buy new.

Maybe I got lucky but the reason why I said used is that the ones I picked up lasted me 5 or more years before needing repairs that I can do myself. It costed me less than 1 dollar a month I spent on a Bionaire and again your mileage will vary. And yea I would do it again if I had a smaller room or a single bedroom that needed one.

My Breath Smart is virtually a glorified high volume squirrel cage fan, with electronic do dads on it and a HEPA filter, that has a skin that makes it all looks nice. But its air cleaning area is good for over 1000 sf of room and it does the job well.

But over the years 46 years to be exact of seeing and using a box fan with a filter in the back in work shop type of environments... so yea they work too.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Semi-related:
avoid ionizers.

LOL, a low end consumer device powerful enough to bring that reality into existence? Theory falls apart when faced with modern manufacturing all too quickly here. Having a button for ionization will allow removing a larger selection of (mostly smoking related) particle sizes.

There are of course conditions where ESD and other hazards to electronics are already exaggerated enough you would do well to avoid multiplying the effect. Again, reality is those particles will rapidly decharge based on the airborne contents of most computer gaming stations (smaller spaces you have been or will be breathing, eating, etc. in).

Pretty bright since they will attract and capture particles moving past and into them while being air permeable enough to allow heat exchange.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
LOL, a low end consumer device powerful enough to bring that reality into existence? Theory falls apart when faced with modern manufacturing all too quickly here. Having a button for ionization will allow removing a larger selection of (mostly smoking related) particle sizes.

There are of course conditions where ESD and other hazards to electronics are already exaggerated enough you would do well to avoid multiplying the effect. Again, reality is those particles will rapidly decharge based on the airborne contents of most computer gaming stations (smaller spaces you have been or will be breathing, eating, etc. in
Speak for yourself...

Circumstances:
-<1000cubic foot room, 2nd story apt. Riverside, CA

-Surround Air XJ-3800

-(painted) Metal Desk

Took me over a week to figure out that the Air Cleaner's ionizer was the cause of near-constant ESDs to my metal desk, and the occasional crash when inserting USB devices.

I 'got a clue' when earthing the desk INCREASED the intensity and frequency of the ESDs.

Sticking a screwdriver down into the Purifier's exhaust (while unplugged, and the driver's shaft earthed) and disconnecting the power to the Ionizer 100% resolved the ESDing.

So, sorry: You're (mostly) incorrect.

ESD hazards are indeed overblown... But only when ambient humidity is favorable (50% or better) and there are not extenuating factors (HV devices nearby) involved.
Which, to be fair, is the case for most home-users.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Fans moving through air produce a static charge which attracts dust, ahir etc. The only way to keep any electronic free of dust is to have it hermetically sealed with water cooling or very low power fanless devices and using wireless tech on all input and output devices, and have the power plug hermetically sealed on the PSU...

Speak for yourself...

Circumstances:
-<1000cubic foot room, 2nd story apt. Riverside, CA

-Surround Air XJ-3800

-(painted) Metal Desk

Took me over a week to figure out that the Air Cleaner's ionizer was the cause of near-constant ESDs to my metal desk, and the occasional crash when inserting USB devices.

I 'got a clue' when earthing the desk INCREASED the intensity and frequency of the ESDs.

Sticking a screwdriver down into the Purifier's exhaust (while unplugged, and the driver's shaft earthed) and disconnecting the power to the Ionizer 100% resolved the ESDing.

So, sorry: You're (mostly) incorrect.

ESD hazards are indeed overblown... But only when ambient humidity is favorable and there are not extenuating factors involved. Which, to be fair, is the case for most home-users.
I've killed ram and a a few usb drive via esd...