• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

I will PM you. All done and working. Reminder, if the audio does not change when you change modes or use other features (Ultra app), your device works a little differently (OEM or Laptop).
Stop all audio services using the 'Services' tool (start > search), then stop 'Windows Audio Endpoint Builder', which will stop all audio services with the current driver.

Download the files below (updated - signed), unpack and replace the files in | C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x | then restart the computer.

Services.png

Last edited:
I made some changes to the package installer, the changes are related to swapping from my other DTS Ultra pack. No need to re-install the driver.
Updating and fresh install are both supported, I prefer fresh install (uninstall device, tick delete, remove the rest via pnptuil).

If you want full volume install Equalizer APO on SFX only (full guide in post 1 here), if you are using stereo and-or only 1 endpoint, disable the upmixer and secondary list.
You can add more devices as you go to each list, I isolate digital from analogue, so I use the top for Speakers-Headphones, bottom for SPDIF-HDMI.

The Realtek SFX has barely any features (other than upmix, which is now EAPO), so don't worry about disabling it.

EAPO.png

----

I also suggest the CAudio fix to get best quality from E-APO, which uses restricted API.

====

By default DTS:X Ultra runs in Music mode, however by default in Realtek, features such as environment are disabled. To turn off DTS, simply press the power button.
To edit the preset.xml, you may need to run PowerShell or CMD as admin then type notepad, this will open notepad as admin, so you can edit.

In my opinion, the DTS modes are much better than the Realtek ones, plus you can edit them.

Effects.png

----

Note that off mode is not fully off, just no FX processing.

====

SFX: Upmixing, downmixing, device volume (all channels), channel volume (independent), crossover.
MFX: Almost anything (EQ, so on) except upmixing. Most common effect point.
EFX: Speaker protection, other, encoding (DTS, Dolby).

Application >> SFX>MFX >> EFX | Only ever one EFX | SFX, MFX (per app).
RAW >> EFX | Only ever one EFX | No SFX, MFX, (per app).

Audio Engine.png

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, plus I double checked yesterday with a re-install check. When using Interactive, the device will now setup as HT mode (6ch 24b 48k).
The legacy method was to set SPDIF to 2 channel through the system, and use a 6 channel bypass, now it sets to HT out of the box.

Realtek SFX will still add the legacy bypass code (redundant), but either way it will be 6ch 24b 48k.

If you are using E-APO on SFX, Realtek SFX will be disabled, although present, it will no longer add the old bypass code on device start.

SPDIF - Unused.png
SPDIF - Complete.png
SPDIF - Check.png

----

Now that programmable 15 channel SPDIF transmitters exist, its 100% possible to add channel config to SPDIF, the same as HDMI.

Config.png

Last edited:
Passthrough is also working when set to 6 channels, I am using Potplayer myself (files here). I tested DirectSound first (legacy) and then WASAPI exclusive second.
DirectSound only supports Dolby Digital and DTS Audio via passthrough, WASAPI exclusive sends everything, but you need hardware support.

The receiver must support 192k via SPDIF, Realtek will output 192k, but for example Z906 only supports 96k on SPDIF, it also can't decode newer formats.
If only Realtek updated their SPDIF to 15 channel transmitters and receivers, and used the full 125mbps TOSlink module.

Potplayer.png
Realtek.png

Additional SPDIF information can be found, here and here.

125 mbps = 27 x 24b-192k | 54 x 24b-96k | 108 x 24b-48k.

====

Here is the registry after EAPO is installed on SFX only, and the legacy data removed (Multichannel[Interactive].reg).

EAPO- No Legacy.png
6 Channel Test.png

Last edited:
If you are looking for DTS Interactive on USB/PCI devices (this pack is for HDA, HDAUDIO), see here (second to last post). For an easy to read version of [this] thread (Realtek HDA), see here.
Note that the DTS:X apps wont work with USB as it comes, and I don't have a Realtek USB to test with. Please use the right registry setup files.

All files are signed, and you don't need to disable anything to install-use the ultra pack, unless you modify the .inf file.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, you can use stereo mode without a supported form factor (Speakers, Headphones), however it will use the default mode (same as multichannel).
This only effects SPDIF-HDMI, which are not officially supported form factors (even though DTS would make more money, PCM is PCM).

To prove it, set SPDIF (or a setup GPU, HDMI) to stereo, open the app, minimise then re-show the app.
The first screen is based on form factor and will show 'Connect', ignore it.

If you do the same when SPDIF-HDMI is in multichannel, the first screen will display correctly first time, unless the default mode is APO4-Off.
Lets say you did set the default to APO4-Off, then the first screen will have form factor check, again minimise, re-show.

When in off mode, the app will attempt to show either the off screen (black background), or multichannel, else 'Connect'.

----

I also edited HDA Bluetooth Bypass to PCM + APO4, not sure how many devices use it though. Form factor should be from device: Speakers, Headphones.

Last edited:
Package installer updated, you can re-download if you want, but you don't need to re-install (no driver changes).
The installer will now run in one admin cmd, and no longer spam elevate requests.

I am now on a break for a bit, if you have any questions or need help ask here or message me.

See here, if you install the driver, and change modes (stereo, 2 channels) with no effect (nothing happens).

----

Quick uninstall guide, I do this before updating to a newer version, but you can skip if you want.

Uninstall - 1.png
Uninstall - 2.png

Commands: pnputil -e | pnputil -d oem13.inf - (replace 13).

Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard CrossHair Extreme x670E
Cooling Asus RoG Strix LC2 360 AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.40
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Taichi
Storage 3x- PCI-E 4.0 Nvme 2TB 7GB/s - 2TB N7 USB-3.1 Nvme 1GB/s
Display(s) ASUS - VG259QM 2k 280hz HDR - LG-C1 4K 120hz OLED with Dobly vison
Case ROG Helios
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX ALC4082 codec, and an integrated ESS® ES9218 quad DAC
Power Supply HX1500i - 1500Watt
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores Time spy - 29000 Port Royal - 17500 Cinabench R23 - ST = 2150 MT = 40000
i been thinking @Ferather maybe worth giving a try at using dobly atmos instead of dts:X the only reason i say that is atmos has a version for dobly digital plus that is the same bit rate as normal dobly digital could easly fit over spdif and should be able to be pre mixed and then sent out over a dobly connect signal they have really improved atmos over hdmi and there are prologic mixers for PC i know thier prologic upmixing is pretty good not as good as dts of course they never are but much lower bandwidth requirements idk my brains just been going

Its possible, but the SPDIF receiver will need to support 'Dolby Digital Plus' as a format regardless of bitrate. As it is now Realtek SPDIF will do 192k x 2, with the [legacy] transmitters they put in.
This is just under 9.22 mbps, so in short it will already do any format that is equal to, or less than, 9.22 mbps, which is every format but the last two (lossless).

If Realtek updated their consumer specification to the current version (seen with ESS Sabre DAC's), it would do 15 channels (or more) in PCM, and ALL formats (including lossless ones).
Even with 9.22 mbps we can already support FLAC via SPDIF, even with DTS-Dolby processing beforehand, then finally FLAC and out from SPDIF.

Once OEMS (including ones that already use ESS Sabre DAC's) update the transmitters they are using, we can just do everything the same as HDMI, and we buy a DMAS (or similar).

Even HDMI gets updates, and new versions, try doing lossless with HDMI 1.0-1.2, people need to stop referencing SPDIF legacy as current, like comparing HDMI 2.1 to 1.0.
Professional high end discrete soundcards do come with SPDIF Optical (SPDIF RCA is redundant), but not usually HDMI (same for broadcast, mastering).

A DAW, which processes PCM, will be working with digital inputs, so, USB or SPDIF (or ADAT Lightpipe) are the top 2(3) options.

Last edited:
HDMI also has a few other cons, such as the way it transmits data, which I believe is in frames of video-audio-video-audio, opposed to one stream of audio and one stream of video.
I have read that video timings (blank periods) is when audio data is sent, and that certain video specifications (high refresh, high resolution) means no audio.

There is also the problem of timings and delays, and I have had many messages about delays on HDMI but none with SPDIF direct.
I also believe some GPU's can overheat with some timings, which I think has something to do with the clock.

Audio Authority - HDMI In-Depth | HDMI Signals - What is TMDS?

If you are going to buy HDMI cables, get the Fibbr optical ones, immune to EFI and travel longer distances, lossless.

FIBBR Basic-Quantum 8K 48Gbps | FIBBR Reference Ultra 8K II 56Gbps | Welcome to the optical age :)

====

Attachments

• Optical HDMI 2.X.png
    Optical HDMI 2.X.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Audio Only.png
    Audio Only.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard CrossHair Extreme x670E
Cooling Asus RoG Strix LC2 360 AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.40
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Taichi
Storage 3x- PCI-E 4.0 Nvme 2TB 7GB/s - 2TB N7 USB-3.1 Nvme 1GB/s
Display(s) ASUS - VG259QM 2k 280hz HDR - LG-C1 4K 120hz OLED with Dobly vison
Case ROG Helios
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX ALC4082 codec, and an integrated ESS® ES9218 quad DAC
Power Supply HX1500i - 1500Watt
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores Time spy - 29000 Port Royal - 17500 Cinabench R23 - ST = 2150 MT = 40000
hmm wierd i have yet to see any audio delays on hdmi on pc but atmos was janky at first where it would not always work in certain games but as of know it has come along way i still prefer spidif if only it was not so constrained for no reason its really kinda fustrateing

It might depend on the receiver, but I've seen quite a few posts on HDMI delay with Atmos, other. And also posts on OEMS failing to get HDMI working properly on some brands-models.
It's indeed very stuipid that SPDIF gets updates, and nobody uses them, still use SPDIF but not the current standard. People still use analogue and that's much older.

Post 1 of the easy read DTS DCH thread here, updated. Post 1 of this thread will be updated soon, as a kind moderator has to do it for me.
You can also use Driver Store Explorer, instead of pnptuil, however use pnptuil after, sometimes DSE can miss some.

First uninstall the main audio device using 'Device Manager', then all extensions-other can be removed, the device should be missing.
If you try to uninstall extensions-other, while the main device is installed, they can not be removed (normally).

Attachments

• FX Config.png
    FX Config.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Post 1 updated by a kind moderator. I suggest you disable Windows driver auto-download and also the Windows store auto-download, then uninstall (then DSE + pnputil).

1: Disable Windows driver + Windows store auto downloads.
2: Remove the audio device via 'Device manager'.
3: Remove all residual extensions-other.
4: Install (double click) then restart.

5: Change the APO files if APO4 does not work (see post 2 here), restart.

Done!

----

Instructions for MSI_Utility.exe, right click run as admin, tick all boxes apply and restart.

MSI Utility.png

Message Signaled Interrupts - Wikipedia

Attachments

• Interesting.png
    Interesting.png
    431.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Package re-uploaded, some minor changes. Going back on my break.

Win CAudio package and guide updated.

Last edited:
Note that if you own the retail DTS Sound Unbound (also a part of APO4), you can download the latest version from the store.
Personally I purchased the full retail version, although I don't use or install it (SPDIF 5.1 always).

If I remember correctly, the license which is added to your account, can be registered on 10 individual devices.
Once registered, it can be installed on the same 10 devices, an unlimited number of times.

You can also download the latest DTS:X Ultra app from the store, unlimited.

Attachments

• DTS Apps.png
    DTS Apps.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DTS-X Home Theatre.png
    DTS-X Home Theatre.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 81
Package re-uploaded, some minor changes. Going back on my break.

Win CAudio package and guide updated.
If I have already installed the previous DTS DCH 6.0.9484.1, do I still need to update? What are the specific changes?Thank you.

The package no longer copies C++ libraries, instead you install the one provided (Apps directory), or from Microsoft.

----

1: Disable Windows driver + Windows store auto downloads.
2: Remove the audio device via 'Device manager'.
3: Remove all residual extensions-other.
4: Install the Visual C++ redistributables.
5: Install (double click) (DTS DCH) then restart.

6: Change the APO files if APO4 does not work (see post 2 here), restart.

Note: See post 1 for more information (steps: 1, 2 & 3).

Signed (Custom Certificate) - Enjoy!

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed an increase in Asus boards with DTS? Not seeing as many Dolby versions, maybe that's just me.

https://ibb.co/X5QSmDT | https://ibb.co/Xzm88fx
https://ibb.co/7p30n3g | https://ibb.co/BzxyywS
https://ibb.co/cyYWNzT | https://ibb.co/Ny36BwM

I have a Prime X570 Pro (first image).

It also possible that a DTS DMAS can exist, both with True Sound mode and DTS mode (PCM is PCM).

----

If the latest Sound Unbound does not license, buy one, or uninstall and use the provided one.
You can use 7-Zip * as admin (right click), and delete leftovers before re-installing.

7-Zip as Admin.png

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\

* 100% free and significantly more useful than WinRAR, can run as TI using ExecTI.

Attachments

• 7-Zip as TI.png
    7-Zip as TI.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 7-Zip File Manager.png
    7-Zip File Manager.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
Last edited: