• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rare GPUs / Unreleased GPUs

They're the same quality as any other sticker
We can agree to disagree here. I used to collect engineering sample tech as a hobby and in my experience, the ES models generally had stickers of lesser quality, IF they had any at all.
it's the font choice and size that makes them harder to read with these newer ones.
This one is likely, but again, lends to the lower quality aspect of ES stickers.
They pack a lot of information into a tiny 13x44mm sticker, so the letters are only 0.5-0.75mm at the largest on some of them.
This is for sure. It's bizarre choice.

Last edited:
We can agree to disagree here. I use to collect engineering sample tech as a hobby

I really don't think flexing experience here is what matters, because simply browsing images posted in this thread will expose you to quite possibly hundreds of examples of ES cards with stickers showing. Anyone could quickly become experienced in the subject with this resource. You may even note that quite a few of those photos are from my own extensive collection, which is 17 years in the making. :)

I've actually rather enjoyed following along with how the "internal use" stickers have evolved. AMD and NVIDIA hardly even use the blatant "engineering sample" sticker method any longer, and it's all transitioned to simple plastic inventory and serial number tags. AMD does still make use of the classic yellow and green ES stickers but almost out of formality at this point.

I really don't think flexing experience here is what matters, because simply browsing images posted in this thread will expose you to quite possibly hundreds of examples of ES cards with stickers showing. Anyone could quickly become experienced in the subject with this resource. You may even note that quite a few of those photos are from my own extensive collection, which is 17 years in the making. :)

I've actually rather enjoyed following along with how the "internal use" stickers have evolved. AMD and NVIDIA hardly even use the blatant "engineering sample" sticker method any longer, and it's all transitioned to simple plastic inventory and serial number tags. AMD does still make use of the classic yellow and green ES stickers but almost out of formality at this point.
In my line of work (Game Development) I can assure you the prototype/engineering sample stuff gets absolutely wild to track and document. I honestly prefer the little yellow stickers and labels compared to the unlabeled black boxes running god knows what inside. I'm definitely in the flex territory (knowledge wise, give or take) in my field but I am just enjoying all the little variances between GPUs I've seen in this thread. Admittedly it feels like a breath of fresh air to me despite the rather large amount of things to learn.

Crossover is minimal but an example I'd point to is the PS4 prototype devkits. Once upon a time you could build one with some approximate specs, and a special Sony provided APU card. They're intended to be destroyed afterwards, and I've never actually seen one slip into circulation (many such cases for early prototype console stuff). The card was your bread and butter and on super lockdown contract/person wise.
You could make one similar (which was kinda recommended due to supply) and get approximate performance if you wanted to make your own homebrewed one with a Tahiti card. Which one? Not totally sure. From Software still uses these internally for some baffling reason.

Last edited:
In my line of work (Game Development) I can assure you the prototype/engineering sample stuff gets absolutely wild to track and document. I honestly prefer the little yellow stickers and labels compared to the unlabeled black boxes running god knows what inside. I'm definitely in the flex territory (knowledge wise, give or take) in my field but I am just enjoying all the little variances between GPUs I've seen in this thread. Admittedly it feels like a breath of fresh air to me despite the rather large amount of things to learn.

Wish everyone would just do what Apple does. You get a big bright white label with everything on it, no extra inventory tracking required because everything you need to know about the thing is printed right on it.
1690180177115.png

Wish everyone would just do what Apple does. You get a big bright white label with everything on it, no extra inventory tracking required because everything you need to know about the thing is printed right on it.
View attachment 306029
Print too small on that for my eyes. I'd increase the font a little.

Also I was editing my post to mention a little more that may be worthwehile - have you come across any prototype Tahiti cards in your venture? I figure it might be worth knowing what's out there.

I really don't think flexing experience here is what matters
Wasn't "flexing". Sorry if it came off that way. I made a statement, you told me I was wrong and then I qualified myself. But hey, it's all good.

You may even note that quite a few of those photos are from my own extensive collection, which is 17 years in the making. :)
I have. And your efforts are very much appreciated! No doubt there.

Didn't mean to offend you good sir! :toast:

Print too small on that for my eyes. I'd increase the font a little.

The scale is maybe a bit deceiving, here's what that looks like on a 13" laptop. It's quite legible in person. I'd roughly equate it to 14pt font on a 24" 1080p display.

1690180899618.png

have you come across any prototype Tahiti cards in your venture?

Only a couple and not many I could afford! You've already seen the one posted above because you asked about the wonky HDMI+DP combo output. I've missed out on a bunch of the red-board samples (with the green sticker) because those are instantly recognizable as early prototypes and get swallowed up by those with fatter wallets than I. Tahiti's board development was pretty sheltered and mostly done well in advance of when it actually launched, AMD was working on Tahiti being their second 32nm generation chip after Cayman when TSMC pulled the plug on 32nm and shifted to 28nm. As such they basically had everything else done in advance of having chips out of TSMC, so there's not many exciting samples out there to be found. I'm sure some incredibly crazy prototypes were made at some point but unlike almost every other generation AMD managed to keep those out of the public eye.

Now this brings up a potential holy grail (though perhaps more of a cryptid) which is the theorized existence of a 32nm Cayman prototype. TSMC had been printing 32nm wafers for customers in 2009 when they ran into the 40nm SNAFU, and AMD was one of their only customers for that node. As per reports of the time Barts was pushed back to 40nm very early for both cost reasons and to alleviate Cayman's yields suggesting chips were being made and tested. After the cancellation AMD had to pull a lot of the intended features (and a few compute units) and re-use old design features to cram Cayman back into 40nm and print enough to ship within a single calendar year. The original Cayman would have looked a lot more like Tahiti I suspect. So, holy grail item, a 2009 prototype of a 32nm Cayman graphics card if any managed to exist.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 2x16GB DDR4-3600 C17 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB -> OC'd to 3800 15-17-15
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB WD SN770
Display(s) Asus VG279QM, Samsung LS32AG32x
Case Silverstone FTZ01e
Audio Device(s) Schiit Jotunheim w/ Multibit DAC -> Audeze LCD-2
Power Supply Fractal Design
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Some random RGB thing with MX Reds
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Definitely a 5, flat top of it is the giveaway for me.

View attachment 306019

To me it looks like a 6. The "5" in the 25 next to it is the clue.

They're the same quality as any other sticker, it's the font choice and size that makes them harder to read with these newer ones. They pack a lot of information into a tiny 13x44mm sticker, so the letters are only 0.5-0.75mm at the largest on some of them.

I had a look at the sticker under a microscope. It does appear to be a '5' rather than a '6', which I do think makes more sense if this is indeed a 7970 (GHz edition).

System Name Main PC
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO
Cooling NZXT Kraken X73 - 360 mm (Upgrade Noctua)
Memory DDR4 HyperX Fury RGB, 32 Go (2 x 16 Go), 3200 MHz, CAS 16
Video Card(s) ADM RX 6800 Nitro+
Storage 2TB nvme / 2TB SSD SATA / 6TB HDD
I don't know how rare it is but I just bought a brand new EVGA GTX 670 4GB ! Still have the plastique cover.
I thing I need to open it and test it because there is some weird noise when I move the box ...
Should I do an unboxing video ?
366077893_617980366992550_2577610414752295220_n.jpg
366040318_1434268633801312_3662967551712341588_n.jpg

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
The card should be fine unless it was tossed around , as for something loose in the box , be it driver cd/dvd or power cable adapters, le: sli bridge?

System Name Main PC
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO
Cooling NZXT Kraken X73 - 360 mm (Upgrade Noctua)
Memory DDR4 HyperX Fury RGB, 32 Go (2 x 16 Go), 3200 MHz, CAS 16
Video Card(s) ADM RX 6800 Nitro+
Storage 2TB nvme / 2TB SSD SATA / 6TB HDD
I felt bad for opening it, like it's a piece of history now that EVGA is no longer doing Nvidia GPU.

Juste the plastic case, probably too old and break but nothing wrong with the card !
In the box :
- A GPU :roll:
- User manual
- CD Driver
- Stickers
- DVI to VGA adapter
- 2x molex to 6 pin
- A poster

I can't wait to test it !

365863883_1342146073367465_5217472669481685147_n.jpg

So, who was that not very lucky buyer, who bought this 2900XTX for $150 and in 10 minutes seller relisted it for $300 as auction? :laugh:

Link on ebay

Hate it when sellers get greedy. Cancelling a legitimate sale to then auction it off is against ToS.

Neat card though. Once again proves that these cards are still out there sitting in somebody's closet who doesn't know what it is.

System Name Beaver's Build
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - X570
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Storage Inland 1TB NVMe M.2 (Phison E12) / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512G / WD Black 6TB - 256M cache
Display(s) Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED
Case Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 USB Audio Interface
Power Supply SuperFlower LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 (Membrane)
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark = https://www.3dmark.com/spy/32087054 Cinebench R15 = 4038 Cinebench R20 = 9210
Hate it when sellers get greedy. Cancelling a legitimate sale to then auction it off is against ToS.

Neat card though. Once again proves that these cards are still out there sitting in somebody's closet who doesn't know what it is.
Yup, happened for the Intel Larrabee that a HardOCP / HardForums member won legitimately and then LTT (Linus) poached it after the fact of the auction concluding for more money

horrible.

The seller even lied to people inquiring saying something Intel reclaimed it or some other bogus response

Yup, happened for the Intel Larrabee that a HardOCP / HardForums member won legitimately and then LTT (Linus) poached it after the fact of the auction concluding for more money

horrible.

The seller even lied to people inquiring saying something Intel reclaimed it or some other bogus response

Also Linus doesn’t give a crap about the hardware and lost the card

1692551320293.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/ylatqu/_/iuzndy7

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
found mine and looks not so good but should be water tight-- and in europe we only got 3dmark free key:

bfg260maxcore.png bfg260box.png

and did not even know i got this:
asus gtx260 matrix:
asus gts260 matrix.png

Last edited:
System Name Always changing
Processor Always changing
Motherboard Always changing
Cooling Always changing
Memory Always changing
Video Card(s) Always changing
Storage Always changing
Display(s) Always changing
Case Always changing
Audio Device(s) Always changing
Power Supply Always changing
Mouse Always changing
Keyboard Always changing

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
I love everyone's dedication to their collections and showing off their rare cards, I appreciate it.

If anyone comes across a rare gpu and the chip isn't HQ please take a clear Shiny (no sunspots/glare and shadows) pic of the die, I love chip pics and can use ultra high quality pics for the gpudb

Example: G86

Please keep in mind that the same applies for PCBs but will only accept professional grade pictures (very clear and big resolution pics, 2000x2000 at the smallest, no grain.
Must have white paper as background so I can clean it faster. If good enough I will also add your matrox/amd/ati/nvidia or 3dfx gpu

Last edited:
System Name Always changing
Processor Always changing
Motherboard Always changing
Cooling Always changing
Memory Always changing
Video Card(s) Always changing
Storage Always changing
Display(s) Always changing
Case Always changing
Audio Device(s) Always changing
Power Supply Always changing
Mouse Always changing
Keyboard Always changing
I felt bad for opening it, like it's a piece of history now that EVGA is no longer doing Nvidia GPU.

Juste the plastic case, probably too old and break but nothing wrong with the card !
In the box :
- A GPU :roll:
- User manual
- CD Driver
- Stickers
- DVI to VGA adapter
- 2x molex to 6 pin
- A poster

I can't wait to test it !

View attachment 309321
It's so hard not to buy stuff like this on ebay LOL. There's actually quite a bit here and there of old cards, even much older in new, or like new with box for cheap. Would be fun but idk LOL.