• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starfield discussion thread

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
lol that is a term for a type of argument.

now play nice you two.

OK, I read up on it, but the one thing I disagree with in using such a term to describe my position in the discussion is that supposedly part of it's meaning is you're going off topic. I think I adequately explained in my last reply why I said what I said though, and it seems he WAS misinterpreting my meaning. For me it's not about who plays on what mode, it's about finding out how I can play on Hard if possible. And that's the ONLY reason I asked what mode he was playing on, to see if just the ship and dog fight tactics you use can make Hard doable.

And as well, just because a person tasks themselves with playing on harder or hardest modes in some games doesn't automatically mean he/she is labeling others whom don't choose to, or bragging. There are PLENTY of games I've not been able to come anywhere NEAR playing on harder or hardest modes, so I fully understand why some don't choose to. So it seems Strawman is inappropriate term there as well. I don't feel I intentionally tried to divert the topic to an irrational or illogical argument, my words were just misinterpreted.

I just want to find a way to A) get more replay value out of the game. and B) justify the time spent on it. So far it kind of feels like I'm not accomplishing that. Their NG+ system doesn't seem to help at all in dog fights (although the better Starborn armor and Powers DO help on ground), and if anything it just makes the game feel more repetitious. If one however could upgrade Starborn ships, or at least apply cloak boost to another ship, that might to a degree even out the dog fighting with the ground fighting.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Oh really so "strawman" is a term I should relish being equated to? You were CLEARLY making it sound like you have dog fights down pat with you braggadocios "I killed 40 Crimson" carrying on, so naturally since dog fights can be one of the hardest elements of the gameplay in Starfield, I was curious as to what difficulty you were playing on. I didn't expect you to get your panties twisted over that, but now that I see how you dish out metaphors you fail to own up to, I guess it's not surprising.

And I'm not bragging about beating ANY dog fights on Hard, I merely tried the fight against both Emissary and Hunter, along with the Guardian, on Hard, but failed. I had nowhere NEAR the level of ship you're talking about, and I was just curious from what you said if it's possible to "buy your way out" of a tough dog fight with an elite ship. I'm having a hard time grasping how it's possible to go "full speed in reverse" though. Every time I've tried reverse the ship not only travels MUCH slower, it won't boost at all that direction, which I assume is because it's only using thrusters that direction. One would have to have as many engines mounted in the front of the ship as in the rear to accomplish that realistically, and then there's still the boost problem. It just doesn't make sense to me.

You make it sound easy to evade and snipe from a distance, but that seems to all depend, again, on the ship and parts you have. I've not yet been able to build a ship that can do adequate damage from that far a range, and as soon as I start shooting well out of targeting range, they speed towards me and overwhelm me. I DO have level 4 Starship Design now though, so I should be able to build a much better ship next time. I also have Piloting, Targeting, and Shield skills maxed, and have leveled up ship weapon skills some too.

I seem to recall reading in a guide somewhere not to bother with Ballistic ship weapon skills though, and stick with Laser, Beam, and/or EM, and Missiles, so I may have wasted points on Ballistic. It would be nice if you could reassign skill points. Honestly though, for the most part I've only had success at terrestrial fights on Hard, but I DID on the first NG+ playthrough at least manage the dog fight against The First on Hard before going to the Factory they were holed up at, but it took a few tries. I also know other than evading to a safe distance you can as well sometimes grav jump to another system in battles where they come in waves, as I did that once when my ship needed repair and I had no Ship Parts. You can even take the time to dock and pay for a repair, then head back to the battle, and it will pick up where you left off, with your progress saved.

I'm getting the hang of using the ship builder though, so that should help a lot. And I'm not here to bash anyone, so please, lets' not go there. I was just shocked by the "Strawman" comment. ;)

BTW, I was curious about the ship you showed above that's maroon with a split hull front? It looks similar to a ship I saw a guy use that was pretty effective for him, minus the huge cargo space. The Mobility and Speed stats are nowhere near the 100/150 I had on my upgraded Razorleaf though, so is that just a cargo ship? I'm tempted to do the Consulting quest for Stroud-Eckland again though, and this time insist on the bounty hunter ship the design crew leader wants. I went with the multipurpose option last time, and it had only two weapons. It was fairly fast and had a decent shield though. I'm a big fan of getting a free ship and upgrading it, especially if the hull is tall enough to work with a class C grav drive so I can use a class C shield.

I very much agree that it would be nice to be able to reassign skill points. But i guess it doesn't matter at a certain level, when you have nearly everything.

In regards to weapons i find that particle weapons are far better than any other weapons, and for a couple of reasons. First is the range - base range of 3000, which is only beat by missiles at 4000. Second reason is that they are equally effective against hull and shields. Third reason is that they (unlike all other weapons) don't have their rate of fire affected by the amount of power you assign to them, as they have a 100 ammo pool, rather than having to reload after every shot like ballistic and missiles - so you can get the same dps with them while just giving them 1 power. The ammo pool will just replinish slower once it runs out. Fourth reason is that you dont need to do any lockon, unlike with missiles, so you can engage instantly, and swap between targets.

If you just want the ultimate damage, then go with as many auto versions of particle guns as you can fit in each category. The ones that gives more effective dps than other weapon is the vanguard particle guns, which are class A weapons - they only deal 11 dmg per gun, but they have a fast 6.65 attack speed and only use 2 power, meaning you can get 6 of them into a single weapon group. Pair them with 2 different kinds of particle guns, assign 2 or 3 power to each weapon category, fire all 3 weapons at the same time, and watch every ship explode in less than a second with insane burst damage !

The ship i used for the cargo is a crimson fleet wight i stole - but im gonna build a C-class ship from the ground up. Either using the cockpit etc from the japanese brand which i forget the name of, or nova.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I very much agree that it would be nice to be able to reassign skill points. But i guess it doesn't matter at a certain level, when you have nearly everything.

In regards to weapons i find that particle weapons are far better than any other weapons, and for a couple of reasons. First is the range - base range of 3000, which is only beat by missiles at 4000. Second reason is that they are equally effective against hull and shields. Third reason is that they (unlike all other weapons) don't have their rate of fire affected by the amount of power you assign to them, as they have a 100 ammo pool, rather than having to reload after every shot like ballistic and missiles - so you can get the same dps with them while just giving them 1 power. The ammo pool will just replinish slower once it runs out. Fourth reason is that you dont need to do any lockon, unlike with missiles, so you can engage instantly, and swap between targets.

If you just want the ultimate damage, then go with as many auto versions of particle guns as you can fit in each category. The ones that gives more effective dps than other weapon is the vanguard particle guns, which are class A weapons - they only deal 11 dmg per gun, but they have a fast 6.65 attack speed and only use 2 power, meaning you can get 6 of them into a single weapon group. Pair them with 2 different kinds of particle guns, assign 2 or 3 power to each weapon category, fire all 3 weapons at the same time, and watch every ship explode in less than a second with insane burst damage !

The ship i used for the cargo is a crimson fleet wight i stole - but im gonna build a C-class ship from the ground up. Either using the cockpit etc from the japanese brand which i forget the name of, or nova.

LOL, I stole a Crimson Wight too on my first playthrough of the base game. I totally forgot I had a ship that looked like that. It was actually more fun hijacking it than using it in battle though, mostly because I hadn't figured out how to use the shipbuilder yet, and not having much on Starship Design anyway.

So are Particle weapons the same as Beam weapons? Some also recommend EM weapons, since they can completely disable ships. I'm not sure that means they're down for good though, as I don't know if Ship Parts can repair such a thing. I thought Ship Parts only repaired hull damage though.

I DO like high fire rate weapons, as the ones that fire slow don't seem to do fast enough damage, except for Missiles that are 1 on fire rate but do high damage. Let me get this straight though, you say missiles have the longest range, but isn't their range what determines at what distance you can lock on? I tend to use missiles only with lock-on, but I find I have to get dangerously close to do so.

On auto weapons, I assumed they actually fire automatically, or do they just TRACK automatically, as some I've seen are on turrets. If it's just auto tracking, what part of the ship do they track? I would assume maybe engines, kind of like heat seeking, only with more than just missiles.

So you can mount multiple weapons for each group, you're not just limited to two, or one on each side? That would no doubt take a higher rated reactor. I was assuming it was power drain that causes weapons to have to recycle, but it sounds like you're saying it's the battery or magazine size that is in fact having to reload? That is one of the things I hate most about dog fights, and I can see how keeping a safe distance would help. It also explains why enemy ships tend to attack then speed away.

You've yet to explain how you can go full speed backwards though, I see no way to do that?

Last edited:
System Name Detox sleeper
Processor Intel i9-7980XE@4,5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock x299 Taichi XE (custom bios with ecc reg support, old microcode)
Cooling Custom water: Alphacool XT45 1080 + 9xArctic P12, EK-D5 pump combo, EK Velocity D-RGB block
Memory 8x16Gb Hynix DJR ECC REG 3200@4000
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 FE 10Gb undervolted
Storage Samsung PM9A1 1Tb + PM981 512Gb + Kingston HyperX 480Gb + Samsung Evo 860 500Gb
Display(s) HP ZR30W (30" 2560x1600 10 bit)
Case Chieftec 1E0-500A-CT04 + AMD Sempron sticker
Audio Device(s) Genius Cavimanus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex 750w Platinum
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard IBM Model M122 (boltmod, micro pro usbc)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Ship P*rn.
On my main rig with better graphics. Intel A770 finaly works with starfield.

Photo_2023-10-12-192915.pngPhoto_2023-10-12-193012.pngPhoto_2023-10-12-193030.pngPhoto_2023-10-12-193136.pngPhoto_2023-10-12-193159.pngPhoto_2023-10-12-193231.pngPhoto_2023-10-12-193321.png

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
LOL, I stole a Crimson Wight too on my first playthrough of the base game. I totally forgot I had a ship that looked like that. It was actually more fun hijacking it than using it in battle though, mostly because I hadn't figured out how to use the shipbuilder yet, and not having much on Starship Design anyway.

So are Particle weapons the same as Beam weapons? Some also recommend EM weapons, since they can completely disable ships. I'm not sure that means they're down for good though, as I don't know if Ship Parts can repair such a thing. I thought Ship Parts only repaired hull damage though.

I DO like high fire rate weapons, as the ones that fire slow don't seem to do fast enough damage, except for Missiles that are 1 on fire rate but do high damage. Let me get this straight though, you say missiles have the longest range, but isn't their range what determines at what distance you can lock on? I tend to use missiles only with lock-on, but I find I have to get dangerously close to do so.

On auto weapons, I assumed they actually fire automatically, or do they just TRACK automatically, as some I've seen are on turrets. If it's just auto tracking, what part of the ship do they track? I would assume maybe engines, kind of like heat seeking, only with more than just missiles.

So you can mount multiple weapons for each group, you're not just limited to two, or one on each side? That would no doubt take a higher rated reactor. I was assuming it was power drain that causes weapons to have to recycle, but it sounds like you're saying it's the battery or magazine size that is in fact having to reload? That is one of the things I hate most about dog fights, and I can see how keeping a safe distance would help. It also explains why enemy ships tend to attack then speed away.

You've yet to explain how you can go full speed backwards though, I see no way to do that?

Hijacking ships is indeed quite fun :)

Your lockon ability depends on your skills in that, but the range is what determines how far out a given weapon can deal damage.

Particle weapons are the same as beam weapons, yes.

EM weapons have their place, as they are ideal to disable a ship you wanna hijack without damaging it. But their effect is only temporary, they have a very short range, and their effect takes longer to get going than just killing stuff with particle weapons. But i have 2x particle weapon groups and 1x EM weapons group on my ship for this exact reason.

By auto i meant the ones that have "auto" in their names - it basically means that they are the fast rate of fire version of the weapon of the same name. Auto and turret is not the same thing - you can get auto versions of turrets aswell though.

As for how many weapons you can mount, it is entirely limited by power. You have a 12 power limit for each weapon group, regardless of reactor. So if a weapon uses 6 power you can only equip 2 of them, and if a weapon uses 2 power you can equip 6 of them. So using a weapons that deals 11 dmg with a 6.65 rate of fire and uses 2 power will be vastly superior to using one that deals 60 damage with 1.5 rate of fire and uses 6 power.

Reload speed is dependant on the amount of power you give the weapons, yes. So it affects weapons that reload after every shot alot (such as missiles), and to a much less extent weapons that have a big mag (such as particle weapons).

As for going backwards at full speed, i explained it in the first post. When you are at full speed going forward you just hold space on your keyboard, and you can turn around and shoot at your pursuers while continueing at full speed away from them.

Just 2 shots i liked

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Hijacking ships is indeed quite fun :)

Your lockon ability depends on your skills in that, but the range is what determines how far out a given weapon can deal damage.

Particle weapons are the same as beam weapons, yes.

EM weapons have their place, as they are ideal to disable a ship you wanna hijack without damaging it. But their effect is only temporary, they have a very short range, and their effect takes longer to get going than just killing stuff with particle weapons. But i have 2x particle weapon groups and 1x EM weapons group on my ship for this exact reason.

By auto i meant the ones that have "auto" in their names - it basically means that they are the fast rate of fire version of the weapon of the same name. Auto and turret is not the same thing - you can get auto versions of turrets aswell though.

As for how many weapons you can mount, it is entirely limited by power. You have a 12 power limit for each weapon group, regardless of reactor. So if a weapon uses 6 power you can only equip 2 of them, and if a weapon uses 2 power you can equip 6 of them. So using a weapons that deals 11 dmg with a 6.65 rate of fire and uses 2 power will be vastly superior to using one that deals 60 damage with 1.5 rate of fire and uses 6 power.

Reload speed is dependant on the amount of power you give the weapons, yes. So it affects weapons that reload after every shot alot (such as missiles), and to a much less extent weapons that have a big mag (such as particle weapons).

As for going backwards at full speed, i explained it in the first post. When you are at full speed going forward you just hold space on your keyboard, and you can turn around and shoot at your pursuers while continueing at full speed away from them.

Just 2 shots i liked

As I said above, I have the Targeting Control skill maxed, so I already have lock-on ability. What I don't understand is how a 4000 range Missile is usable at that distance since there seems to be no way to increase target LOCK range. Maybe it takes longer to get lock farther away, but since I DO have targeting Control maxed, it should speed things up. I always assumed since I don't typically even see the red squares that lock has until closer up though, that you have to be MUCH closer than 4000 to get lock.

Here are some skills I just found that may help though.

This one when mastered allows Auto Turret weapons to recharge 40% faster and do 20% more damage.
It just says Turret weapons, but I assume it means Auto Turret weapons.

This one when mastered allows Missiles to have 20% more range, travel speed, and reload speed.

No, I DID read what you said about going backward, but for some reason I mistook Space for S, as S is the only way I've ever gone backward. Does Space actually make you go backward while the front of your ship is still facing the enemy though, or does it just loop the ship around quickly while still aiming the weapons at the enemy? I ask because it still doesn't seem reasonable a ship with rear mounted engines could fly backwards at full speed. I mean, I know landing gear has some powerful thrusters that aid in escaping the atmosphere during takeoffs, but asfaik, even those cannot aim forward to move you backward.

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
As I said above, I have the Targeting Control skill maxed, so I already have lock-on ability. What I don't understand is how a 4000 range Missile is usable at that distance since there seems to be no way to increase target LOCK range. Maybe it takes longer to get lock farther away, but since I DO have targeting Control maxed, it should speed things up. I always assumed since I don't typically even see the red squares that lock has until closer up though, that you have to be MUCH closer than 4000 to get lock.

Here are some skills I just found that may help though.

This one when mastered allows Auto Turret weapons to recharge 40% faster and do 20% more damage.
It just says Turret weapons, but I assume it means Auto Turret weapons.

This one when mastered allows Missiles to have 20% more range, travel speed, and reload speed.

No, I DID read what you said about going backward, but for some reason I mistook Space for S, as S is the only way I've ever gone backward. Does Space actually make you go backward while the front of your ship is still facing the enemy though, or does it just loop the ship around quickly while still aiming the weapons at the enemy? I ask because it still doesn't seem reasonable a ship with rear mounted engines could fly backwards at full speed. I mean, I know landing gear has some powerful thrusters that aid in escaping the atmosphere during takeoffs, but asfaik, even those cannot aim forward to move you backward.

As for holding space... why don't you just try it.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
I built a Milnum Flacon from the Star War movie with captain Kirk. May the force live long and prosper. Caught some ppl in underwear. Also my dong. Click to enlarge.

Photo_2023-10-10-121414.jpgPhoto_2023-10-10-121435.jpgPhoto_2023-10-06-092638.jpgPhoto_2023-10-03-062917.jpgPhoto_2023-10-02-140438.jpgPhoto_2023-10-02-140415.jpg

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK

Yeah I guess that's the only way to tell what actually happens. Still seems strange going full speed in reverse when the ships engines are rear mounted though.

System Name Spam
Processor i9-12900K PL1=125 TA=56 PL2=288
Motherboard MSI MAG B660M Mortar WiFi DDR4
Cooling Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm ARGB Fans x1 / Alphacool Eisbaer 360
Memory Mushkin Red Line DDR4 4000 16Gb x2 18-22-22-42 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XT
Storage Team Group MP33 512Mb / 1Tb
Display(s) SAMSUNG Odyssey G50A (LS27AG500PNXZA) (2560x1440)
Case Lan-Li A3
Audio Device(s) Real Tek on Board Audio
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM
Mouse M910-K
Keyboard K636CLO
Software WIN 11 Pro
^^That's the Cabot cockpit right? It usually is the basis for large multi level builds but it actually looks good on this tiny ship. It reminds me of a a tadpole or something.
Yes, it is the Cabot C4 cockpit.

I came against a group of ships with 2 of those, and a smaller ship named something with II - sadly i thought the one named II was gonna be better due to that, so destroyed the 2 claymores xD would have liked that ship !
I have found that II or III in the name is not always good ship wise, but good in loot wise. Anymore, if I see a ship with a name I have yet to get, I will try to board it and capture it. The only one I will pass on is the Starboarn ones, which are plane ugly to me.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I built a Milnum Flacon from the Star War movie with captain Kirk. May the force live long and prosper. Caught some ppl in underwear. Also my dong. Click to enlarge.

Ya know, I'm not sure whether you're intentionally saying two opposing IPs and key dialog words intentionally for humor, or are just confused, but either way, it's amusing I guess. When you say full speed though, will it boost that way as well?

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Yes, it is the Cabot C4 cockpit.

I have found that II or III in the name is not always good ship wise, but good in loot wise. Anymore, if I see a ship with a name I have yet to get, I will try to board it and capture it. The only one I will pass on is the Starboarn ones, which are plane ugly to me.

If only one could have more than 10 ships... :p

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK

Well I just did, and as I suspected that is only thruster mode, which completely disables engines. There's no way you can travel full speed in that mode, in fact it is extremely slow by comparison. So this makes what you said even less convincing than having just read it. I mean, I know what thrusters are, they're more for positioning than speed, for things like docking.

If only one could have more than 10 ships... :p

Funny that it's the same number of NG+ you can do, so I guess they meant for us to use a different ship each time to break up the monotony. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Well I just did, and as I suspected that is only thruster mode, which completely disables engines. There's no way you can travel full speed in that mode, in fact it is extremely slow by comparison. So this makes what you said even less convincing than having just read it. I mean, I know what thrusters are, they're more for positioning than speed, for things like docking.

Funny that it's the same number of NG+ you can do, so I guess they meant for us to use a different ship each time to break up the monotony.

Jeez louise... it's really not that difficult... get the ship up to full speed, then hold space, and turn the ship around while holding space...

Is it realistic? Nothing about this game is...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Fun fact physically that’s inaccurate. Bad Bethesda

Oh I know full well that in the vacuum of actual space any thrust at all can build up incredible speeds, I was talking in terms of what happens in game.

Jeez louise... it's really not that difficult... get the ship up to full speed, then hold space, and turn the ship around while holding space...

Is it realistic? Nothing about this game is...

This is why I asked you again (more than once), if you actually meant flying in reverse when you referred to it as "backward". THIS is how you should have worded it the first time. What you're talking about here is NOT going backward! And it still seems odd since you wouldn't at that point even be looking the direction of the enemy, so how the hell do you even aim the weapons?

OK, just tried it again via turning away with engines full speed, both with and without boost, but as I suspected, as soon as you hold Space, engines are disabled. And THAT is why in the Bindings it refers to Space as toggling Flight Mode, ie Engines/Thrusters. Even if the engines weren't cut though, it still leaves the aiming problem.

Any chance you can make a short video clip of this. It would easily prove it if engines stay on while the red Thrusters text is onscreen. At that point I would have to assume it's due to a different ship build I'm unaware of, but it still begs the question why Space is referred to as toggling flight MODE.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Oh I know full well that in the vacuum of actual space any thrust at all can build up incredible speeds, I was talking in terms of what happens in game.

This is why I asked you again (more than once), if you actually meant flying in reverse when you referred to it as "backward". THIS is how you should have worded it the first time. What you're talking about here is NOT going backward! And it still seems odd since you wouldn't at that point even be looking the direction of the enemy, so how the hell do you even aim the weapons?

OK, just tried it again via turning away with engines full speed, both with and without boost, but as I suspected, as soon as you hold Space, engines are disabled. And THAT is why in the Bindings it refers to Space as toggling Flight Mode, ie Engines/Thrusters. Even if the engines weren't cut though, it still leaves the aiming problem.
No offense, but you seem to be entirely missunderstanding it...

You can freely aim while holding space...

Tbh that is a good physics representation of what should happen. Cutting engines should leave you at that speed

True - i suppose it's more unrealistic that you need to keep your engines powered to maintain speed in space.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
No offense, but you seem to be entirely missunderstanding it...

You can freely aim while holding space...

Yeah, uh, not offended, just confused, and for good reason. But in that vein, no offense, but you DO KNOW that when the engines stop spitting fire they are cut, right? Because that's what happens every time I hold space, plus red text comes onscreen showing you are in "Thrusters" mode. So for me, "full speed" is definitely not achievable while holding space.

Also, I cannot free aim while holding space, I am still locked into forward view with the reticule staying inside the circle. THAT however could be a ridiculous limitation of using mouse vs gamepad, are you by chance playing with a gamepad? I say this because I've seen several players commenting that it plays much worse on KB/M. I REALLY suck with gamepads, so that's not an option.

Another amusing no offense occurs to me, I know you don't like the idea of using mods, but this almost seems like something a mod would let players do :confused: (not saying you're using one).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185088

Content mods - aka new questlines etc, which does add playability to the game, just like in skyrim.

But removing all ship building limits is akin to modding in weapons and armor with stupid high values, which is just lame.
I beg to differ, as it is single player if you find it fun to have OP weapons or ships, people have different ways to enjoy games some might hate space fighting and this offers a way to skip this, others prefer exploring part...etc

Moding offers a way to tailor the game to your preferences.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Hey guys, in my searching I've read Linnaeus IV-b is a good planet to start an outpost on due to abundant resources there and nearby in that system. It's level 45 and I'm currently level 42. Is that why it's not showing on my star map? It's supposed to be just to the right of Olympus as you look at the star map.

Planets are not bound by level, you can travel even to the level 80+ constellations just fine.

Double check if your ship has enough grav drive range to reach it :)

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Yeah, uh, not offended, just confused, and for good reason. But in that vein, no offense, but you DO KNOW that when the engines stop spitting fire they are cut, right? Because that's what happens every time I hold space, plus red text comes onscreen showing you are in "Thrusters" mode. So for me, "full speed" is definitely not achievable while holding space.

Also, I cannot free aim while holding space, I am still locked into forward view with the reticule staying inside the circle. THAT however could be a ridiculous limitation of using mouse vs gamepad, are you by chance playing with a gamepad? I say this because I've seen several players commenting that it plays much worse on KB/M. I REALLY suck with gamepads, so that's not an option.

Another amusing no offense occurs to me, I know you don't like the idea of using mods, but this almost seems like something a mod would let players do :confused: (not saying you're using one).

A video, just for you.

This ended up being my C-class ship. Decided to go with a Nova design. Still missing some weapons - need to wait for level 60 for those, but couldn't wait with building the ship any longer xD It's fairly compact everything considered, but still has everything you could want.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
A video, just for you.

This ended up being my C-class ship. Decided to go with a Nova design. Still missing some weapons - need to wait for level 60 for those, but couldn't wait with building the ship any longer xD It's fairly compact everything considered, but still has everything you could want.

Yeah I just found out you can't get the best reactor until you're level 60, so I'm slogging through the Deep Cover quest again to get more money and skill points. I'm only at level 54 so far though, so that may not get me enough points.

Thanks for the vid, I'll check it out when I finish dinner.

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Yeah I just found out you can't get the best reactor until you're level 60, so I'm slogging through the Deep Cover quest again to get more money and skill points. I'm only at level 54 so far though, so that may not get me enough points.

Thanks for the vid, I'll check it out when I finish dinner.

Depends on what constitutes as the best reactor for you - the one that gives the most hull is lvl 52.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Depends on what constitutes as the best reactor for you - the one that gives the most hull is lvl 52.

Ideally I'd like a lot for Hull and Weapons, so Power is important to me too. I just read a little bit ago that the highest rated reactor has 50 Power, but not sure what it's Hull rating is.

OK, watched the vid, and I can see you are in thruster mode. From the way you described it earlier I thought you meant you were going full speed while moving away from the enemy. Clearly though the engines stop firing when Thruster mode is engaged, and I also don't see th eaim as being different, as you're still firing forward with th reticle limited to the larger circle. Thus I don't see how one could keep firing at an enemy while moving away from them.

Nice ship btw, but where does one get a Nova design ship? I like that everything like the mounts are easily accessible, looks like it wouldn't be too hard to build/upgrade.