• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why everyone say Zen 5 is bad ?

I am not seeing the performance boosts on either my AM4 or 5 3D CPUs. Biggest boost was 8% Gears 5 bench 1080low 5600X3D+7800XT. 7800X3D+7900XTX was 6%. I have no idea how Steve is getting those numbers. Maybe something to do with fixing Nvidia driver overhead? 4090 being more CPU bound?

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
I am not seeing the performance boosts on either my AM4 or 5 3D CPUs. Biggest boost was 8% Gears 5 bench 1080low 5600X3D+7800XT. 7800X3D+7900XTX was 6%. I have no idea how Steve is getting those numbers. Maybe something to do with fixing Nvidia driver overhead? 4090 being more CPU bound?

On my X3D ccd the gains are minimal.... on the frequency ccd the gains are larger probably why you're seeing minimal gains.

Honestly this seems to make the 7700X perfom closer to the 7800X3D imho we Will have to wait for a large selection of games tested to know for sure.

I do have a 4090 as well though but at best I'm seeing 5% on the 3d cache ccd and 10% on the frequency CCD.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
You don't have to run admin to get improved branch prediction in 24H2, right?
I don’t think so. That’s a core OS scheduling thing. That exists in builds themselves. This is why I take everything YouTubers say with grains of salt. Performance from running as admin (which doesn’t start certain apps and other “annoying” consumer stuff) sure I can see it.

But user accounts do not dictate core level OS functions. He likely just misspoke. Because the newer 24Hx builds DO INFACT come with the new scheduler but the one making the big impacts are insider slow ring right now; unless you own a co pilot P.C. which comes with the new builds standard.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.4, 4.8Ghz Ring 190W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
i kind of want to pick up a 9700x for science

I don’t think so. That’s a core OS scheduling thing. That exists in builds themselves. This is why I take everything YouTubers say with grains of salt. Performance from running as admin (which doesn’t start certain apps and other “annoying” consumer stuff) sure I can see it.

But user accounts do not dictate core level OS functions. He likely just misspoke. Because the newer 24Hx builds DO INFACT come with the new scheduler but the one making the big impacts are insider slow ring right now; unless you own a co pilot P.C. which comes with the new builds standard.

I was thinking this too - is it possible the app doesn't get virtualized as admin? or windows defender just harasses it less in general?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
i kind of want to pick up a 9700x for science

I was thinking this too - is it possible the app doesn't get virtualized as admin? or windows defender just harasses it less in general?
No virtualization inits before the OS does. You can disable things like VBS(which hooks before kernel loading) while still having virtualization enabled in bios. All it does is expose CPU bits and registers.

To be clear I don’t think he is lying. He just misunderstood or said it in a fashion that made it unclear to the masses.

AMD said

“Use the ADMIN account”
“Use the new insider build”

but they are not one in the same.

Better schedulers offer better performance.

Running as admin; which doesn’t start apps and services by default offers better performance.

you can retro actively see this yourself on anything with e-cores.

Get windows 10 1701 and Windows 10 1903 (or w/e the latest is) and a performance uplift can be seen even on 12th gen CPUs. With the same two methods.

It’s just easier to see now because OSs are heavy but performance could always be seen as far back as Vista service packs doing these two things. (As later service packs included scheduler upgrades for multicore CPUs).

You don’t need to take my word for it either. You can tangibly see this using any spare drive and a format. Go through OOBE create your user account do windows updates reboot and check your running processes and services.

Then format again and this time only enter the admin account. It’s not as in-depth as full scale testing (though you can!) but it is a good optical verification.

Yep, right now there seem to be three things:

1) Admin account, which reduces the bloat affecting performance
2) 24H2 update, which offers better scheduling and BP optimizations
3) BIOS tweaks, like force enabling prefetchers etc like Wendell showed.

All of those increase game performance, but #1 has a bigger gain on Zen 5, #2 has only slightly higher gain on Zen 5 and #3 seems to only affect Zen 5.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I had moved on to another OS after my first experience with windows.

It was Windows XP on a Pentium 4 computer. Anytime I tried to change the look of the system (via 3th party tools) I noticed that every few days I had a complete system crash. I think windows XP just wasn't stable on the hardware because we had a second PC with the same hardware that I hadn't changed anything on and it also crashed very frequently.

Despite having already said goodbye to windows for good after windows XP, I do have an idea of its successors since people around me use it.

Windows Vista: this was far too heavy for the hardware that was popular at the time. Like windows XP, it was also not completely stable on much of the hardware at the time.
Windows 7: I found this to be the only windows that felt professional. It was reasonably light for the hardware at the time. It was also reasonably stable and had few flaws. And I still use it now in VirtualBox, it (fully) boots in 7 seconds (login included) on FreeBSD via VirtualBox. It kind of feels then that Window 7 starts up as fast on FreeBSD as e.g. opening Photoshop on windows, which is impressive.
Windows 8: The worst UI, worse than all the UIs I have used on Linux. Many loyal windows fans dumped it as soon as possible for windows 7 or windows 10.
Windows 10: Feels a bit like they mixed the start menu of Windows 8 with the classic start menu of Windows 7/XP. I personally found this an ugly windows and didn't think it worked very well either. The UI of Windows 7 worked smoother.
Windows 11: A windows that uses a lot of RAM. I find the UI pretty OK for windows but a bit ugly and I also notice that Linux UIs perform many daily operations with fewer intermediate stops. Windows11's UI is less efficient than LXQt, KDE Plasma, Cinnamon, etc.

I used Linux for a very long time. Ubuntu 10.10 I really liked and was one of the first Linux systems I used.
The emerald themes that were available then are still not (visually) matched by other UIs I have used since then.

At one point, I had switched to FreeBSD, which I found to be similar or better than Linux in many areas. Something that bothered me was the default security. Eg Intel microcode from the CPU was not used automatically, I had to install and activate it manually.
Now I use OpenBSD which places more importance on the out-of-the-box security aspect.

What is often said about Zen 5 is that it is more stable than Intel gen 13&14. But it must be said that in experienced hands, FreeBSD and OpenBSD are more stable than Debian stable and 'any' windows. By which I mean that the Intel 12700KF on OpenBSD is more stable and reliable than Zen 5 + windows 10/11.

The ranking on stability of operating systems based on my extensive experiences.
1. FreeBSD (bspwm and Polybar)
2. OpenBSD -current (bspwm and Polybar)
3. Debian stable, GNU Guix
4. Windows and macOS (many open-source apps are very buggy on macOS)

I'm a big fan of bspwm (window manager) which feels a bit like a genius determined what the all-important features are that I will need. I think I only use the default configuration file with a few minor tweaks.
But as I use it, it makes multiple screen setups fairly redundant (or no great value).

The keybinding to switch workspaces works smoothly and very fast. It is a manual tiler so I can easily scale the ratio of windows to the size I want. I can also easily switch to floating or fullscreen modes.

What I also find very useful is that I can determine in advance whether a window will be scaled horizontally or vertically via Ctrl+Mod+h/j/k/l

I also find Ctrl+G incredibly powerful and I don't know if there is an equivalent in Windows and macOS. It swaps your current 'small tiled window' to the largest window that is open in another workspace.

There are also shortcuts to swap tiled windows directly and many other useful keybindings.

Furthermore, I have tweaked Polybar so that I can close/minimize/maximize any window with one mouse click. I have a configuration that I can no longer improve in terms of productivity and that I could reuse forever on any Unix-like system that supports bspwm. (=almost all Unix-like systems)
When Windows 10 stops supporting my games or my hardware, I'll be Linux-bound myself. There's no way I'm gonna get Win 11, or any other bloated, spyware-ridden crap.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
On my X3D ccd the gains are minimal.... on the frequency ccd the gains are larger probably why you're seeing minimal gains.

Honestly this seems to make the 7700X perfom closer to the 7800X3D imho we Will have to wait for a large selection of games tested to know for sure.

I do have a 4090 as well though but at best I'm seeing 5% on the 3d cache ccd and 10% on the frequency CCD.
I did have a suspicion X3D wouldnt fare as well, as the extra cache in my own brain logic is already band aiding poor predictions.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Windows is so bloated that i'm betting every CPU is seeing a bump with the update -- they probably found a scheduler incompatibiliity on ryzen systems ot they patched in a detect for AMD and shut off one of the 12400591759 nanny threads running in the background that was throwing off the prefetcher etc. Cyberpunk did something similar with their game where SMT on AMD was busted.

Unfortunately, for AMD this does not change the Zen5 value proposition vs the 7700. 9800X3D will be a beast though.

Everyone makes fun of the Fine Wine argument - but it's kind of classic AMD at this point.

Windows still has so much fat on it.
Also wIntel bias from ms.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
This might explain why my 9950x 24h2 based IoT build has seen fine performance as far as I can tell...
I mean the TPU review pretty much show it is one of the fastest CPUs for computing.

The update is now available for 23H2 https://www.tomshardware.com/softwa...users-will-see-ryzen-performance-improvements.
When Windows 10 stops supporting my games or my hardware, I'll be Linux-bound myself. There's no way I'm gonna get Win 11, or any other bloated, spyware-ridden crap.
I believe you. 95% (pulled that number out of my bum) of the bellyachers will upgrade. It happens every windows version. Most diehards hold out as long as they can. I clung to 2000pro as long as I could.

SL2

AMD said

“Use the ADMIN account”
Where did they do that, do you have a source?

I mean, where do they explicitly tell users to do that (not how they did their own tests).

It would be highly irresponsible to tell people to use admin.

If Windows 1.0 have a spyware rating of 0, and Windows 11 have a spyware rating of 10, what rate would you give Windows 10? 7? 9?

I mean, it's bad in W11, but it's not like it's a new thing.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
If Windows 1.0 have a spyware rating of 0, and Windows 11 have a spyware rating of 10, what rate would you give Windows 10? 7? 9?

I mean, it's bad in W11, but it's not like it's a new thing.
To be fair, W10 sits right at my tolerance level. I know it takes anonymous data from me, but W11 goes too far by needing an online login, and I can't be asked to bother with custom installers and modified versions. I'd rather just swap over to Linux.

SL2

To be fair, W10 sits right at my tolerance level. I know it takes anonymous data from me, but W11 goes too far by needing an online login, and I can't be asked to bother with custom installers and modified versions. I'd rather just swap over to Linux.
AFAIK, autounattend.xml works. It's not enough of a hassle for me personally to switch OS.

The day I can't find any workarounds I might consider something else.

(Yes, BypassNRO seems to be working for some.)

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
AFAIK, autounattend.xml works. It's not enough of a hassle for me personally to switch OS.

The day I can't find any workarounds I might consider something else.

(Yes, BypassNRO seems to be working for some.)
Nah, this still seems like too much hassle to me. Downoad iso -> create bootable media -> boot from said media -> install. That's how an OS should work. If Windows doesn't offer this anymore, then Linux will.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity2, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB & 4TB 980 PRO, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Nah, this still seems like too much hassle to me. Downoad iso -> create bootable media -> boot from said media -> install. That's how an OS should work. If Windows doesn't offer this anymore, then Linux will.
I forgot what tool it was (maybe rufus) but basically during the step "create bootable media" you literally just uncheck some boxes to bypass the typical Win11 install requirements: TPM, online account, data collection, etc...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
I forgot what tool it was (maybe rufus) but basically during the step "create bootable media" you literally just uncheck some boxes to bypass the typical Win11 install requirements: TPM, online account, data collection, etc...
Yeah rufus really makes it a cinch if thats really what is holding you up.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Maybe I'll have a go then. :)

How does it do with advertisements and auto-installing apps? Those are my other no-go areas for an OS that Windows has been infamous for lately.

That 5800X3D and 9600X uplifts are insane in some games, puts even 7800X3D to shame:

To sum it up, to really get the performance you paid for, these steps are inevitable:
1. Install Windows 10 (wait for Zen 3/4/5 branch predictor fix) or Windows 11 24H2 with branch predictor fix; (+11% perf.)
2. Disable VBS on Windows 10/11 or use hidden Administrator account which bypasses VBS; (+5% perf.)
3. Adjust few settings related to CPU in BIOS. (+?% perf.)

Could someone post a link to the article/video regarding Zen CPU BIOS settings (prefetchers, ...)? Thanks.

BTW, 9700X at 105W TDP shows 13.4% improvement over 9700X at 65W and 16.9% improvement over 7700X at 105W in Cinebench R23:
7700X @ 105W: 19 800 (baseline: 100% TDP, 100% perf.)
9700X @ 65W: 20 409 (-38% TDP, +3% perf.)
9700X @ 105W: 23 153 (+0% TDP over 7700X, +16.9% perf. over 7700X) (+61.5% TDP over 9700X 65W, +13.4% perf. over 9700X 65W)
This, indeed, shows that 9700X at 65W should have been released as 9700 without "X" as those models are always much more efficient.

This performance gain has nothing to do with branch branch prediction fix and bypassing VBS security. With those two issues fixed the results may be even better.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Razer Pro Type Ultra
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I'm just sitting here with a Zen 2 Threadripper and popcorn, knowing that I can effectively stay on Win10 forever. And by the time I do decide to upgrade my system (note: not necessarily GPU), it will be to something that is at least a generation old and thus actually works OOTB, so that I don't have to be a beta tester for a CPU company.

SL2

Rufus does the same thing as the one in my link, both uses autounattend.

That 5800X3D and 9600X uplifts are insane in some games, puts even 7800X3D to shame:
The update works on the 7800X3D as well according to your own link. :laugh:

Last edited:

SL2

I'm just sitting here with a Zen 2 Threadripper and popcorn, knowing that I can effectively stay on Win10 forever. And by the time I do decide to upgrade my system (note: not necessarily GPU), it will be to something that is at least a generation old and thus actually works OOTB, so that I don't have to be a beta tester for a CPU company.
I can't really say anything about having to be a beta tester for Windows in general, but this update showing up too late doesn't seem to be much about testing.

If it's really true that the update was included in Zen5 laptops (July 28), it means that someone messed up with the distribution of the update in WU, but nothing suggests that it was in need for any testing after it was released.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Razer Pro Type Ultra
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I can't really say anything about having to be a beta tester for Windows in general, but this update showing up too late doesn't seem to be much about testing.

If it's really true that the update was included in Zen5 laptops (July 28), it means that someone messed up with the distribution of the update in WU, but nothing suggests that it was in need for any testing after it was released.
I'm talking about being a beta tester for AMD failing to have the required Windows update already shipped before they released Zen 5.