• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OEM technician needing advice about getting into custom gaming hardware repair.

Tyler55

Hello.

First time poster. Thank you for letting me join the forum.

I've been a self-employed computer technician for approximately 25 years. I wasn't working on gaming systems, but now I'm going to start doing so. I'm looking for some tips and suggestions to get me started. Especially in the hardware diagnostics area. Here are some of my questions and/or concerns:

1) I stopped using software memory diagnostics because I found that they were accurate if the ram failed the test. However, often times when the ram passed the test, the ram turned out to be defective. Due to that, if I suspect a ram problem, I switch out the ram if it's one stick, or try one ram stick at a time if it has more than one stick. Is it ok to continue using that ram switch out method with the gaming systems?

2) If I suspect a GPU issue and want to switch it out, is it ok to use a basic GPU just for testing purposes? I expect to have to reduce the resolution when testing with a basic GPU. I was thinking of something basic like a RX550 or 1050Ti. Would either those be ok for testing purposes?

3) If I narrow down a hardware issue to the mobo or CPU, Is the only way to narrow that down further mean swapping the CPU?

4) If a gaming computer shuts down and takes a minute or two to turn back on, then can I conclude that it's an overheating problem like I do with regular computers?

5) I've come across programs like GPU-Z and 3D Mark. Are they just benchmarking programs, or can they identify hardware problems?

6) It seems diagnosing these gaming computers will be much more extensive and time consuming compared to what I'm used to. As such, if you're a paid gaming technician, how and what do you charge for diagnostics?

I'll probably have more questions later, but that's a start for now. I'll greatly appreciate all of your advice and suggestions :)

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hello.

First time poster. Thank you for letting me join the forum.
Hi and welcome to TPU! :)

1) I stopped using software memory diagnostics because I found that they were accurate if the ram failed the test. However, often times when the ram passed the test, the ram turned out to be defective. Due to that, if I suspect a ram problem, I switch out the ram if it's one stick, or try one ram stick at a time if it has more than one stick. Is it ok to continue using that ram switch out method with the gaming systems?
I would say so, yes. Switching parts is almost always a good way to diagnose hardware faults.

2) If I suspect a GPU issue and want to switch it out, is it ok to use a basic GPU just for testing purposes? I expect to have to reduce the resolution when testing with a basic GPU. I was thinking of something basic like a RX550 or 1050Ti. Would either those be ok for testing purposes?
It is ok, unless there is a PSU issue. High-end GPUs eat much more power and stress the PSU much more.

3) If I narrow down a hardware issue to the mobo or CPU, Is the only way to narrow that down further mean swapping the CPU?
Logically, yes.

4) If a gaming computer shuts down and takes a minute or two to turn back on, then can I conclude that it's an overheating problem like I do with regular computers?
Unless it's a PSU or motherboard issue. Underestimating power needs and/or buying a low quality PSU that's unable to supply what the system needs is a typical rookie mistake, just like buying a crappy motherboard with an overheating VRM.

5) I've come across programs like GPU-Z and 3D Mark. Are they just benchmarking programs, or can they identify hardware problems?
The most intensive tests in 3DMark can identify a GPU or PSU issue (faulty GPU or not enough power), but they're not diagnostic programs. Especially CPU-Z isn't, its built-in benchmark isn't heavy enough for a proper stress test. I'd suggest Cinebench instead.

6) It seems diagnosing these gaming computers will be much more extensive and time consuming compared to what I'm used to. As such, if you're a paid gaming technician, how and what do you charge for diagnostics?
Usually nothing, as I only do it for friends and family. :D

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
What @AusWolf said

Plus, I wouldn't discount software honestly. I fix peoples PC's all the time: gaming, office, servers, etc. I have used Medicat and Hirens Boot Loader. It does wonders in data recovery, cloning, diagnostics without being in the hosts OS, etc.

Tyler55

Thank you for the reply AusWolf.

I just noticed the sticky of "New? Need PC Help? Start here! (Lots of free, useful apps for diagnosing problems)". That sounds like it will be an excellent resource for me:)

In regard to #3:

Well, I guess I'll have to get a test unit CPU. Do gaming systems use a standard socket? If so, any recommendation for a test CPU?

What @AusWolf said

Plus, I wouldn't discount software honestly. I fix peoples PC's all the time: gaming, office, servers, etc. I have used Medicat and Hirens Boot Loader. It does wonders in data recovery, cloning, diagnostics without being in the hosts OS, etc.
Hi sepheronx.

I do have a lot of experience in fixing software boot problems, data recovery, cloning, etc.

One nice thing that I've noticed, is that with most of the gaming computers that I've come across, the OS is on one drive and they don't usually have anything personally important on that drive. As such, it's quick and easy to rule out an OS / software issue by performing a clean install of the OS. It only takes about 10 minutes of actual hands-on time :)

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thank you for the reply AusWolf.

I just noticed the sticky of "New? Need PC Help? Start here! (Lots of free, useful apps for diagnosing problems)". That sounds like it will be an excellent resource for me:)

In regard to #3:

Well, I guess I'll have to get a test unit CPU. Do gaming systems use a standard socket? If so, any recommendation for a test CPU?
Personally, I wouldn't bother. The CPU is probably the most durable part of any system, it's very rare that one is faulty, and when it is, there are obvious signs (like the PC won't boot at all). Besides, you'd have to get one for every socket which is a huge expense for basically nothing.

Hi sepheronx.

I do have a lot of experience in fixing software boot problems, data recovery, cloning, etc.

One nice thing that I've noticed, is that with most of the gaming computers that I've come across, the OS is on one drive and they don't usually have anything personally important on that drive. As such, it's quick and easy to rule out an OS / software issue by performing a clean install of the OS. It only takes about 10 minutes of actual hands-on time :)
Having your own OS drive with a clean install is a much better investment. It'll save you a lot of time. :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Troubleshooting of PCs is the same regardless of hardware used, don't forget that PSU's do go bad as of producing less than ATX spec voltage on any rail, eg psu at 11.3VDC is underspec due to tolerance of -5% on 12V rail, it can also be overspec due to tolerance of +5%, same goes for 5V and 3.3 both are still +-5%, also gpus today do draw a considerable amount of current and high quality psus are a must for any build

Tyler55

For a test PSU, would the following suffice, or should I go for a higher wattage / better tolerances?

MSI MAG A650BN Gaming Power Supplyr - 80 Plus Bronze Certified 650W​

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
For a test PSU, would the following suffice, or should I go for a higher wattage / better tolerances?

MSI MAG A650BN Gaming Power Supplyr - 80 Plus Bronze Certified 650W​

No. 650 W is way under-specced for a high-end gaming build, and I'm not sure about MSi's quality, either. I'd suggest a Seasonic Prime unit of 1000 W or over if you want to diagnose even the highest-end gaming systems.

System Name Obliterator
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x PBO
Motherboard ASRock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 G2 LBC
Memory G.skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000@CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock rx7900 GRE Steel Legend
Storage 2 x 2TB Samsung 990 pro nmve ssd 2 X 4TB Samsung 870 evo sata ssd 1 X 18TB WD Gold sata hdd
Display(s) LG 27GN750-B
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) Klipsch promedia heritage 2.1
Power Supply FSP Hydro TI 1000w
Mouse SteelSeries Prime+
Keyboard Lenovo SK-8825 (L)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 21H2 / Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 24H2 with multiple flavors of VM
eidairaman1 said it all. It's all the same. If you gonna be doing custom water loops, get some good tubing benders. An infrared temp gun can be handy. You probably already have a Dremel. Not really any gaming system specific tools that come to mind.

Quick edit: depending on how far down the rabbit hole you intend to go, a solder/de-solder/hot-air station can be very handy, but if you don't plan on doing component level repairs, not at all necessary.

Last edited: