• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Launches AMD X870E and X870 Chipset Motherboards Across its Motherboard Brands

hoxlund14

Just a heads up. Only one of these x870 boards listed has 10gb LAN. The Pro-art model.

And if you populate all m.2 slots, the main primary pci-e slot bumps down in speed. Might just stick with my MSI x670e MEG ACE.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I could find a basic page on proart but seems the marketing news story was more important than bringing up completed product pages. Board looks pretty small and looks like only 1 or 2 SATA ports although isnt really a picture provided at correct angle to tell for sure and no spec sheet.

This AMD platform largely seems all in on M.2 and GPU only systems.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Hopefully dead in a ditch somewhere. M-atx is a pretty pointless form factor as far as I’m concerned; you either go atx or itx these days. The better question is where’s the apex equivalent?

Gene is the closest thing Ryzen platforms get to the Apex, essential for memory overclocking. Won't be missed that much admittedly, given 9K shares the same limits of 7K and the Gene itself was only needed for the most extreme of setups (unlike on Intel where the Apex is a significant amount ahead of other boards, including the likes of the Extreme, Dark Hero and Formula)

No camm2 versions, no money from me.

CAMM would be the single most useless thing on an AMD platform right now. The memory controller just can't handle it.

Where is X870E Gene?
Right here:
1724183482059.png

Gene is the closest thing Ryzen platforms get to the Apex, essential for memory overclocking. Won't be missed that much admittedly, given 9K shares the same limits of 7K and the Gene itself was only needed for the most extreme of setups (unlike on Intel where the Apex is a significant amount ahead of other boards, including the likes of the Extreme, Dark Hero and Formula)

CAMM would be the single most useless thing on an AMD platform right now. The memory controller just can't handle it.

For the sake of having 2 dimm slots sure, but matx is a compromised form factor; largely pointless. I’d rather not cut i/o and features on a board thats going to be as or more expensive as the hero. Why pay for a gene when the ASRock HDV can get you 95% of the way there for memory overclocking at 1/5th price anyways.

CAMM will remain pointless for desktop until 50 years in the future when they can finally decide on a standard layout. Not to mention all proof of concept modules ive seen have been at horrendously loose timings and low voltages. Can’t imagine cooling CAMM modules that have ICs sandwiched in air deadspace either and the second you start pushing more than 1.5v to actually get to overclocked frequencies that matter.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Just a heads up. Only one of these x870 boards listed has 10gb LAN. The Pro-art model.

And if you populate all m.2 slots, the main primary pci-e slot bumps down in speed. Might just stick with my MSI x670e MEG ACE.

I would! I might pick up an Aorus X670E Extreme to replace my X670E Master once these 800 series chipset boards drop. I'm hoping the 600 series boards will drop in price after that.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
they lack USB PD so you can't drive a monitor with only one cable.
So far only portable monitors can be powered by USB, so this is hardly a big issue.

As I predicted, the forced addition of USB4 via 4 PCIe-lanes of the CPU, the exclusion of a two-chip-solution without USB4 (formerly X670) and the will to offer as many M.2 as possible leads to boards with absurd lane sharing an very few PCIe-slots, thus low flexibilty. Of course, why should they add a DP-In or USB PD to all these USB4-ports. Gods beware that they actually make them as usefull as possible.

I feel better now about my Prime X670E-Pro WiFi, having two Gen4x4-slots from chipset, unshared, two M.2-slots from CPU unshared (sadly, only one Gen5), 4xSATA and at least a Gen3x4 or x2 M.2-slot that can be used to add another 6xSATA.

I looked into the specs a few weeks ago.

My ASUS X670-P Prime Mainboard. I bought it on purpose without PCIE 5.0 on the gpu slot. I added the wifi module myself later.

Alreaedy in the handbook is the add in card pictured.
There is a 100€ USB4 add in card available. I see the benefit in more than 80Watt charging power on one usb 4.0 port.

That add in card changes my mainboard to the 800 chip standard. Recent bios unlocked those USB4 options. I do not care for pcie 5.0 on the gpu slot.

The benefit, my mainboard is more flexible. On 800 series Mainboards they waste those lanes with soldered on USB40. Regardless if you need it or not.

I prefer the add in way. I can change my wifi, which I did. I can change the add in cards.

I determined that I will not need PCIE 5.0 and USB 4.0. Both add in cards or external devices costs over 100€ a piece. Which makes it very nonsense.
Even USB 3.2 external cases costs around 50€ which makes it kinda not worth buying yet.

1) why so butthurt? Aside from tax their boards are pretty good

My ASUS X670-P Prime can not boot from every USB port. Last two bios the usb keyboard is not everytime recognized on a cold or warm boot.
Malware is being installed - Asus Armory Crate is on by default - which installs malware - proven fact

Late UEFI updates for that particular board - see update list.
Late uefi updates for that particular board - although several security holes were known to the public.

Connectors are not very well glued on the printec circuit board while removing usb cable from the case.

No debug leds on the mainboard - mostly any other board has those. But stupid RGB controller and LAN controller

Only to name what got to my mind instantly. There are more issues.

Last two uefi version regularly hang during warm and cold boot. Using the reset button instantly boots the board. I also sometimes wait and go for a meal. The mainboard is still stuck in the boot process. Reset button instantly initialize the proper boot process. Regardless if you wait 1 or 5 or 10 minutes. ~8-10 seconds after I press the reset button the board boots when it is in the faulty cold or warm boot state. Bug since I have that mainboard over different UEFI versions.

pretty good means most likey the board looks pretty. right? sarcasm**

I had it for sale for over 3 months a few months ago. Hardly anyone asked for a price or started a chat to inquirty about it. So ASUS is in my area well known for it bad quality in my point of view.

A shame 5GbE is reserved for ROG Hero and ROG Strix X870E-E.

I prefer mainboard without garbage.

Soldered wifi with defects / lan with low speed and such.

RGB controller.

Last edited:
Wtf ASUS? https://edgeup.asus.com/2024/x870-x870e-motherboard-guide-amd-ryzen-9000-series/
Not even one usable X870 board for my purposes. Why so many M.2 slots? What gamer needs 4-5 M.2 slots?
I'd understand having CPU lanes for GPU split into 2x PCIe Gen5 x8, so that you can use bifurcation for SSD RAID purposes.

I require 1x PCIe 5.0 x16 (CPU-bound), 2x M.2 PCIe 4.0/5.0 x4 (CPU-bound), 1x PCIe 3.0 x4 (chipset-bound), 1x PCIe 3.0 x1 (chipset-bound), 1x M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 (chipset-bound).
That's 3 regular PCIe slots - for GPU, soundcard, one spare PCIe x4 for any purpose (e.g. network card) - I'm asking for. Is that too much to ask?
You can convert PCIe x1/x4/x8/x16 using adaptor to make it work with M.2 SSDs but you can't do the opposite.

Even Prime' X870-P second PCIe chipset-bound port is bandwidth-shared with M.2_3 slot (occuping one slot disables the other).

EDIT: They wasted 4 PCIe 5.0 lanes from CPU ... only one M.2 port is connected to CPU, other 3 M.2s are connected to the chipset. Incredible.
Previous generation was done properly.

asus2.png

asus1.png

Specs of released boards:

Last edited:
Hopefully dead in a ditch somewhere. M-atx is a pretty pointless form factor as far as I’m concerned; you either go atx or itx these days. The better question is where’s the apex equivalent?
Unless you want a two DIMM board that fits more than two M.2. Then you literally have no choice unless someone finally releases ATX sized two DIMM board for memory OC.
Only apex equivalent I know is b650e aorus tachyon but in EU/US is unobtainable. I hope X870 aorus tachyon would be available.
It was always vaporware. I too hope the X870 Tachyon will be broadly available, even if it only comes in white...
Hmm, all other big players on home desktop motherboards market go to support 256GB RAM include with it's older series. Only Asus stuck on 192GB. Why?
No they do not. For some reason only MSI seems to be supporting up to 256GB on AM5. I say "for some reason" because there are no 64GB UDIMM's available yet. The highest is 48GB and 4x48 is 192 that everyone supports. 64GB RDIMM's exist but they are not compatible with UDIMM boards so this 256GB support on MSI boards is currently wasted.
Why no two memory slot option for better memory overclocking?
God forbid, that would be too hard to engineer. /s
Yep and that is why wee need Tachyon, Unify etc.
Not even lower timings at 6000-6400? I doubt that.
And the benefits would be? certainly not higher memory speed, let alone real life performance gains.
Better CPU cooler compatibility with large HSF's like D-15. Higher capacity per module. Easier to cool. These came to mind first.
Why pay for a gene when the ASRock HDV can get you 95% of the way there for memory overclocking at 1/5th price anyways.
If you mean ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 then i would not even consider a board without appropriate buttons for memory OC where black screens and other issues are frequent. Unless i want to go crazy and thrown into insane asylum.
CAMM will remain pointless for desktop until 50 years in the future when they can finally decide on a standard layout. Not to mention all proof of concept modules ive seen have been at horrendously loose timings and low voltages. Can’t imagine cooling CAMM modules that have ICs sandwiched in air deadspace either and the second you start pushing more than 1.5v to actually get to overclocked frequencies that matter.
We'll see. Im pretty optimistic about CAMM2 for desktop. Not for every use case and form factor tho.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~

Timings can only go so low - 6000 CL28 is about as fast as DDR5 gets on socket AM5 right now. I do not think CAMM would change this significantly, the issue is the CPU IOD, not the DIMM form factor. CAMM will likely be needed as we approach the 10000 MT/s+ era

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I would love to know what AMD was smoking when they decided to artificially segment Zen 4+ for mainstream to less than 32 PCIe lanes. It was barely sufficient for Zen 4, it's very obviously not enough for Zen 5, and by the time Zen 6 comes around it will just look pathetic. This is the flipside of keeping a socket around forever: if you don't design the first product using that socket to have all the expansion you expect future products to need, then those future products are constrained by that first one.

Hopefully AMD will get smart with Zen 6 and drop a new IOD (and socket) that gives us a sane number of PCIe lanes (i.e. more than 32), but given how focused they now are in forcing consumers to HEDT for features that should be mainstream, I'm doubtful.

Last edited:
Just make new check. In specifications on product pages:)
I checked Geizhals.de. Unless their info is old/outdated. And even if is - care to link where you can buy 64GB UDIMM's?
Support that you cant use is pointless without the modules.
I would love to know what AMD was smoking when they decided to artificially segment Zen 4+ for mainstream to less than 32 PCIe lanes. It was barely sufficient for Zen 4, it's very obviously not enough for Zen 5, and by the time Zen 6 comes around it will just look pathetic. This is the flipside of keeping a socket around forever: if you don't design the first product using that socket to have all the expansion you expect future products to need, then those future products are constrained by that first one.

Hopefully AMD will get smart with Zen 6 and drop a new IOD (and socket) that gives us a sane number of PCIe lanes (i.e. more than 32), but given how focused they now are forcing consumers to HEDT for features that should be mainstream, I'm doubtful.
What would be the point of those extra lanes if the primary PCIe stays x16 and we are at the limit of how many x4 M.2's can be installed on mainstream boards?
GPU's dont even saturate current 16 lanes and SSD's while using 4 lanes are pushing largely useless sequential numbers.

Secondary PCIe slots have pretty much died out due to not much need for add-on cards. Most of the functionality previously provided by those cards is now provided by the motherboard itself such as advanced audio or fast networking. Unless we're talking about 25G+ SPF, hardware RAID cards or something similar, but people buying such expensive cards can most likely afford Threadripper already anyway.

Unless you want a two DIMM board that fits more than two M.2. Then you literally have no choice unless someone finally releases ATX sized two DIMM board for memory OC.

It was always vaporware. I too hope the X870 Tachyon will be broadly available, even if it only comes in white...

No they do not. For some reason only MSI seems to be supporting up to 256GB on AM5. I say "for some reason" because there are no 64GB UDIMM's available yet. The highest is 48GB and 4x48 is 192 that everyone supports. 64GB RDIMM's exist but they are not compatible with UDIMM boards so this 256GB support on MSI boards is currently wasted.

God forbid, that would be too hard to engineer. /s

Yep and that is why wee need Tachyon, Unify etc.

Better CPU cooler compatibility with large HSF's like D-15. Higher capacity per module. Easier to cool. These came to mind first.

If you mean ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 then i would not even consider a board without appropriate buttons for memory OC where black screens and other issues are frequent. Unless i want to go crazy and thrown into insane asylum.

We'll see. Im pretty optimistic about CAMM2 for desktop. Not for every use case and form factor tho.

I mean that’s kind of the point, the second you go with a gene you cut out m.2 and i/o and the entire board layout gets cramped for zero benefit. I’m not sure why manf. waste that kind of design effort at such a high price point when an atx APEX would be better in every respec; also everyone generally picks full atx builds or itx nowadays.

There’s nothing exceptionally bad about the HDV if you want a cheap/fun board to push mem clocks in 2:1 on AM5. I had LED post codes, bios reset etc… on my b650e strix and it was still a nightmare on failed memory oc recoveries. Memory overclocking is tedious no matter what.

CAMM offers zero benefit in the immediate future for desktop usage. It’ll only serve to split standards and raise development costs while board makers make multiple variants of the same board, with the cost being passed on to the consumer. Unless Arrowlake IMC can handle well above DDR5 8000 at tolerable 24/7 voltages with relatively good timings, higher frequencies will be off the table for some time.

I checked Geizhals.de
Don't worry.
There are produced. It's are apparently expected to accompany the release of other new hardware to go on sale alongside. Perhaps, as is the tradition, the start of a new generation, or even a new platform. So, probably with Intel Arrow lake, and LGA 1851 in October. And maybe a little earlier with the start of sales of the 800 series motherboards with an AM5 slot. We'll see, but I'm sure there will be offers this year.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Need a release date and pricing info.

As I predicted, the forced addition of USB4 via 4 PCIe-lanes of the CPU, the exclusion of a two-chip-solution without USB4 (formerly X670) and the will to offer as many M.2 as possible leads to boards with absurd lane sharing

Yup. I was actually looking forward to replacing my degraded Intel trash with an AMD Zen 5 system but it is more and more likely that this simply won't happen. All of these ASUS boards are sorely disappointing. I'm not going to plan a build around any of these boards. That's for sure.

I was gonna give Intel a hard pass as a lecture over the RPL fiasco but it is increasingly likely that I will consider an Arrow Lake build due to AMD's major disappointments. AMD had a free penalty without goalie and still fucked it up.

If Arrow Lake and/or Z890 turn up any unexpected negative surprises then I might still be forced to go with AMD and if that were the case then I'd buy a good old ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A with a 7800X3D or 9800X3D CPU. These new boards are out of the question.

They really done fucked it up big time. Way too many compromises and lane sharing shenanigans going on with X870(E). Wish they would have shifted around some stuff or maybe dropped some features (SATA) to bring out a worthy no compromises successor to the ROG STRIX 670E-A but apparently AMD is really trying their best to avoid taking any money this generation.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Yup. I was actually looking forward to replacing my degraded Intel trash with an AMD Zen 5 system but it is more and more likely that this simply won't happen. All of these ASUS boards are sorely disappointing. I'm not going to plan a build around any of these boards. That's for sure.

I was gonna give Intel a hard pass as a lecture over the RPL fiasco but it is increasingly likely that I will consider an Arrow Lake build due to AMD's major disappointments. AMD had a free penalty without goalie and still fucked it up.

If Arrow Lake and/or Z890 turn up any unexpected negative surprises then I might still be forced to go with AMD and if that were the case then I'd buy a good old ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A with a 7800X3D or 9800X3D CPU. These new boards are out of the question.

They really done fucked it up big time. Way too many compromises and lane sharing shenanigans going on with X870(E). Wish they would have shifted around some stuff or maybe dropped some features (SATA) to bring out a worthy no compromises successor to the ROG STRIX 670E-A but apparently AMD is really trying their best to avoid taking any money this generation.
The issue is the USB 4.0 introduction. AMD should not listen to the narrative as USB 4.0 is not really necessary for most Desktop users.