• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cryptocoin Value and Market Trend Discussion

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The crash is coming, it's not a matter of if but when and how far it goes. If you're in stocks it's not a time for speculative plays imo, you should be moving most of your money to cash or blue chips. Crypto wise, ether/btc are those blue chips. Honestly hopefully this kills some alt coins that have no business existing.

ETH = the framework for all those altcoins though

on a three year chart bitcoin is up around 450% eth around 300%...

nobody will ever lose money if they simply buy and hold.. am i wrong.. ??

trog

You're just nervous, if you're inclined to hold, then hold. I started buying MSFT in 2012 at $30 and kept adding into the $50's. Today it's $265. It took a while but it was a good buy. I would like to get rid of it but they're on a tear, selling now would be stupid. One consideration for me, is that it's spent money, old money that I don't need. Can it crash?, of course it can! If I had to sell at 1/2 the current price, I would still make money, it only it cost me some time. My dad thinks I should be more risk-tolerant, but I'm not, I like a sure thing, and he's added quite a bit to it for me, he also has his own.
If you've done the same thing with BTC, stick with it, that's what I'm doing.

I have a two week chart, here the green flats are periods I watch, the dips in red on the far right, not much! I'm looking for this flat to stretch into or over the weekend, we'll see!
btc-june-22-two-week.jpg

Adding a snip from that chart, this is the anomalous 40k period, looks strange in isolation.
btc 40 segment.jpg

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

trog

You're right but inevitably you will need to cash out your Bitcoins or buy things with them and then you may lose money. I suppose you could pass them down in a Will and never lose money in your lifetime.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
You're right but inevitably you will need to cash out your Bitcoins or buy things with them and then you may lose money. I suppose you could pass them down in a Will and never lose money in your lifetime.
he'll add me to his will.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
@RandallFlagg thoughts on Yellen here? America already had one credit rating deduction can it withstand another? Congress has to not delay, and come to a sensible net positive balance sheet before it is to late.

I know Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, has a lot of crypto... all the richest of the rich do... alongside their many passports and other currencies, they wouldn't do that if they thought an American permanent crash wasn't possible... hmm. Thoughts? My only conclusion is that if Congress doesn't get its act together by end of December its all over as far as inflation goes, and the final crumbling of the middle class.

I think we are at a breaking point right now. If Congress fails at a bi-partisan level, and they don't find a way to work out a paying down of the debt and inflation doubles again with compounding interest to boot, crypto soars to the moon in 2022. If Congress surprises us all of us, and acts like mature human beings who put on their utilitarian hats instead of their toddlers at recess hats, then crypto falls and busts in 2022. This is my thinking anyway, time will tell.

I don't think Congress will default on anything, they'll just recycle old debt. Sell more treasuries and use the proceeds to pay off old ones. The end result is that each year, roughly $2000 of taxes for every man woman and child in the US is just to pay interest on the debt. i.e. about $600B in taxes will go to pay interest.

Poor people get into debt for short term gratifications, and rich people give loans for long term wealth building. All this spending is just going to make the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, on a macro scale, while it is sold as help to the poor. That $600B in interest each year is going into the pockets of investors, and that number will go up significantly as the new debt skyrockets - not too long from now, starting about 2025, the bills start to come due. It is ironic that it is primarily the poor / lower middle class that demand the spend. They know not what they do.

And no, those taxes won't make ultra-wealthy people pay more. They will make upper middle class pay more, which puts up artificial barriers from say the top 10% being able to get into the top 1%. Until they can get the super wealthy to actually pay more than 2% in taxes, it's stupid to talk about raising capital gains taxes from 20% to 40% on everyone else IMO. These people have entire teams, perhaps entire LLCs, to help them avoid taxes. To this end, a simple flat tax would make a lot of sense. No loopholes, no exceptions.

1624539620109.png

Yeah, it's been interesting to watch. Some people have said that it mimicking the stock market, but I just haven't seen that and the frequent charts by RandallFlagg & Nash illustrate this very clearly.
Fairly sure it will eventually mimic stock market, but we definitely not there. Thats years from now. Also there is always possibility that it will fail as whole, in that case its not years, but never.

trog

In case of some super negative governments intervention, they might lose money. If everything goes as it does now, then yea.. buying and holding loses nothing.

I don't think Congress will default on anything, they'll just recycle old debt. Sell more treasuries and use the proceeds to pay off old ones. The end result is that each year, roughly $2000 of taxes for every man woman and child in the US is just to pay interest on the debt. i.e. about $600B in taxes will go to pay interest.

Poor people get into debt for short term gratifications, and rich people give loans for long term wealth building. All this spending is just going to make the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, on a macro scale, while it is sold as help to the poor. That $600B in interest each year is going into the pockets of investors, and that number will go up significantly as the new debt skyrockets - not too long from now, starting about 2025, the bills start to come due. It is ironic that it is primarily the poor / lower middle class that demand the spend. They know not what they do.

And no, those taxes won't make ultra-wealthy people pay more. They will make upper middle class pay more, which puts up artificial barriers from say the top 10% being able to get into the top 1%. Until they can get the super wealthy to actually pay more than 2% in taxes, it's stupid to talk about raising capital gains taxes from 20% to 40% on everyone else IMO. These people have entire teams, perhaps entire LLCs, to help them avoid taxes. To this end, a simple flat tax would make a lot of sense. No loopholes, no exceptions.

View attachment 205229
Seems Elon aint there yet. :D

At level of Bezos and such, you have enough money to do quite literally whatever you want. Im sometimes grateful that these people have such small amount of imagination.. At least they direct their evil into paying less taxes and exploiting workers as opposed to far worse things that could be done with that amount of wealth.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855

View attachment 205229
I didn’t click on the link so I didn’t read it, but if I am not mistaken, the total wealth growth is the growth of their stocks and portfolio, so they are unrealized gains and they shouldn’t pay taxes on them if they never sell the stocks (unrealized gains). The reported income is probably what they have sold so the taxes they paid are correct. We never, ever, should pay taxes on unrealized gains.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

trog
I'm sure you will get a chart that explains why you are wrong in something that can't be predicted. Even though historically holding has been the best strategy...even though Holding isn't consider an elite trading strategy and something only plebs do. lol

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
I didn’t click on the link so I didn’t read it, but if I am not mistaken, the total wealth growth is the growth of their stocks and portfolio, so they are unrealized gains and they shouldn’t pay taxes on them if they never sell the stocks (unrealized gains). The reported income is probably what they have sold so the taxes they paid are correct. We never, ever, should pay taxes on unrealized gains.

I've seen that explanation and that's probably 90% of it. And then you have tax-free investments and funds.

For example, say I have 10 Billion $$. I put it into tax-free municipal bonds that draw 5%. That's $500M per year in interest.

No taxes I believe. Are there limits to that? IDK I'm too far from limits to go look.

This is just one of a dozen ways to avoid taxes that *I* can think of though, and I'm not a professional. These guys have teams of pros working this stuff out, and the tax code would take you years to read much less understand.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

View attachment 205229

The worst part is I think there is a way to fix everything, it's just there is so much hatred, and a got mine don't care about you attitude it will never happen. Instead of using logic and reason in Congress, they act like children.

I don't know what the future holds, but if America does not fix its never paying back debt problem and inflation skyrocketing, it's all going to collapse. The middle class will go (and is going already) first, the rest will follow soon after, or the rich will simply flee which is why they divest their money over a variety of currencies and crypto in-case one fails always have a backup. It's a shame it really is. Geographically speaking America has so much going for it, the two vast oceans protecting us, if only we could move beyond the hate, and everyone paid their fair share of taxes (including wealthy and religious entities), and government spent those taxes properly, and the citizens had confidence the government would spend those taxes properly... we could all truly live in a paradise. It is the greatest paradox of our species existence, we could literally have everything, we are truly capable of it, but we let the animal part of our brain win so we resort to survival of me and mine attitudes...

Oh well, humans had their chance, I am pretty confident within 5,000 years Earth will be resetting itself with a new species that replaces whatever remains of us after climate change. /shrug best we can do is just enjoy life best we can and live simply. speaking of which I am reading a very good book at the moment, so going to go read some more of that. take care all

trog
To be fair, that is a good point. However if you look at the 5 year charts, not so great a picture..

Fairly sure it will eventually mimic stock market, but we definitely not there. Thats years from now. Also there is always possibility that it will fail as whole, in that case its not years, but never.
I don't ever see that happening. The Stock market and cryptocoin market are very different creatures. They're operated very differently and a symmetry between them is just not likely to ever happen.

Last edited:
System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
To be fair, that is a good point. However if you look at the 5 year charts, not so great a picture..

I don't ever see that happening. The Stock market and cryptocoin market are very different creatures. They operated very differently and a symmetry between them is just not likely to ever happen.
$660 => $33,000 seems like a good return to me. Or is that not what you mean?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
$660 => $33,000 seems like a good return to me. Or is that not what you mean?

to be fair, AMD stock when it was $1 a share 5-7 years ago, 3 grand of that would be worth like 300+ grand or something now.

so you still invested badly if your ultimate goal is max outcome of profit. /shrug

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
I would be real careful around any crypto. I have a not-a-chart reason for that too.

Last year, a huge chunk of fairly well paid professionals were sent to work at home, while others were furloughed and drew heftier than normal unemployment. Yet others were voluntarily retired, with perks, cashed in 401Ks, cashed out pension plans, and so on.

Many of these folks used their time to grow a garden, build a deck, or get some excercise.

A bunch of them started screwing around in the markets.

Now, they're going back to work, slowly but surely.

I am pretty sure you are going to see some of these edge case markets collapse over time as people get back to their normal day jobs.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
ignoring the fud bitcoin seems to be locked into a narrow band between 30 and 35K.. i think it might stay like this for a while..

kind of boring but it seems to be what is happening..

trog

It is boring, I just saw it $33,843 the price is hovering. It will break out in a few hours, I hope it head up!

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
If your into crypto get out now. This is the sign that they are getting ready to crash the market: https://markets.businessinsider.com...-disapper-crypto-heist-2021-6-1030548585?op=1 Its coming. If it stays together another 30 days ill be surprised.

I won't be. It's kind of like the apocalypse or end times: folks keep predicting the end/collapse, and it stubbornly refuses to show up in an appropriately timely fashion. Then the date gets moved. That's not to say it won't collapse at some point; that possibility is very real.

The quote from the linked article that stuck out to me was:

Most recently, the Bank for International Settlement criticized the digital asset for its role in illegal activities.

"By now, it is clear that cryptocurrencies are speculative assets rather than money, and in many cases are used to facilitate money laundering, ransomware attacks, and other financial crimes" BIS said.

Now, I don't know what the Bank for International Settlement does or if we should care about its opinion, but the bolded text is a nice encapsulation of the current state of crypto IMO. Advocates will say that the transition from speculative asset to legitimate and widespread means of exchange is coming, but I remain skeptical, at least on any near-term timescale. If it does happen, it probably won't be Bitcoin or any of the existing altcoins, but a newly developed companion or replacement for established currencies like the greenback, euro, yuan and yen.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Now, I don't know what the Bank for International Settlement does or if we should care about its opinion, but the bolded text is a nice encapsulation of the current state of crypto IMO. Advocates will say that the transition from speculative asset to legitimate and widespread means of exchange is coming, but I remain skeptical, at least on any near-term timescale. If it does happen, it probably won't be Bitcoin or any of the existing altcoins, but a newly developed companion or replacement for established currencies like the greenback, euro, yuan and yen.

Completely agree with that and posted that view a few times. Crypto, as a technology, is likely to supplant currency as we know it.

But it won't be these cryptos. It'll be a government / bank issued crypto. Why? Because blockchain is quite literally a database of every transaction that ever happened to every unit of currency.

Give every person in your country a wallet, just like a social security number, and you can find out everything they ever bought and where every 'coin' they ever touched went.

This will make it exceedingly easy to find money launderers, and virtually impossible to hide income. Someone tipped you as a waiter and you didn't report it? Busted. Bought a 50 round magazine for your rifle in Arizona but live in California? Uh huh, they know. Bought something in person from someone who later is busted as a Meth pusher or for pimping prostitutes? Ah yeah.

China is already experimenting with a crypto Yuan.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
so we move into a cashless society where government knows everything you earn and everything you spend.. lets call it government controlled digital credits..

long live bitcoin. and may it remain free of government control for ever.. . he he he..

trog

It is boring, I just saw it $33,843 the price is hovering. It will break out in a few hours, I hope it head up!

later in the day.. bitcoin is down 8% and eth down 10%.. lets see how low it will go.. :)

will it break 30K.. i dont think so but it may..

trog

Last edited:
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
so we move into a cashless society where government knows everything you earn and everything you spend.. lets call it government controlled digital credits..

long live bitcoin. and may it remain free of government control for ever.. . he he he..

trog

Actually more like long live physical cash.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Actually more like long live physical cash.

that's what I was thinking. so many people get by in life just by doing odd jobs helping a friend move and getting paid in $20 cash, etc. cash just makes it easier.

In a country like America, if you announced a no cash based system, I would be very surprised if you don't get voted out of office in a recall and replaced with someone who is for cash in the next cycle.

It would be political suicide. lol and it wouldn't change anything because it would get reversed in 4 years. so yeah, nothing to worry about there.