• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

Ah, that's a quad channel memory system. So if you populate all 8 memory slots you'll get optimal performance. The DIMMs don't need to be big. 4GB per dimm would give you 32GB total and you'll be set for the life of the system. DDR4-2400 RDIMMS(what that system will takes) are very inexpensive currently. What CPU set do you have for it?

Ah, that's a quad channel memory system. So if you populate all 8 memory slots you'll get optimal performance. The DIMMs don't need to be big. 4GB per dimm would give you 32GB total and you'll be set for the life of the system. DDR4-2400 RDIMMS(what that system will takes) are very inexpensive currently. What CPU set do you have for it?
yeah but if i have 1 dimm / cpu it's single channel, right?

will be getting 2x2680 v4s. tested with 2x2667 v3 - those are pretty awesome too.
sometimes faster than the 2x2697v3s :)

i keep testing stuff for my real world application (after effetcs)
trying to find the sweet spot.

yeah but if i have 1 dimm / cpu it's single channel, right?
Yup.
will be getting 2x2680 v4s. tested with 2x2667 v3 - those are pretty awesome too.
Unless you really need the extra cores, stick with the 2667v3s.
i keep testing stuff for my real world application (after effetcs)
trying to find the sweet spot.
That might be a good reason to have the 2680v4s. I don't use Abobe products so I'm not 100% on that. However, if that's what you're aiming for, 2x8c/16t@3.2ghz is actually going to be better than 2x14c/28t@2.4ghz for most tasks. Also, if you have compute heavy workloads, single channel RAM is going to choke performance. Save your money on the CPU's and get more RAM. You'll thank yourself later.

Yup.

Unless you really need the extra cores, stick with the 2667v3s.

That might be a good reason to have the 2680v4s. I don't use Abobe products so I'm not 100% on that. However, if that's what you're aiming for, 2x8c/16t@3.2ghz is actually going to be better than 2x14c/28t@2.4ghz for most tasks. Also, if you have compute heavy workloads, single channel RAM is going to choke performance. Save your money on the CPU's and get more RAM. You'll thank yourself later.
i keep testing with different cpus the old fashioned way: i render projects and see what pair of cpu sets the best time.
so far the lower core higher clock won 2 out of 3 tests. so you are right.

no matter the cpu pair - be it 32 Th / 56 Th - all threads run when rendering, so thank you Adobe ! :D

i keep testing with different cpus the old fashioned way: i render projects and see what pair of cpu sets the best time.
so far the lower core higher clock won 2 out of 3 tests. so you are right.

no matter the cpu pair - be it 32 Th / 56 Th - all threads run when rendering, so thank you Adobe ! :D
Ah ok, you're doing it out of interest/fun. It really does depend on the task and program.

Oh, dude I'm sorry! I didn't mean to offend or make light of you.
no worries, i wasn't offended, why would i be?
i was just joking, well yes and no cause i always wanted to find the sweet spot cores <> base clock for the software i use - and now i can experiment.
and i am fascinated by the american lifestyle. (HUGE houses, HUGE cars, HUGE roads, HUGE everything)

no worries, i wasn't offended, why would i be?
i was just joking, well yes and no cause i always wanted to find the sweet spot cores <> base clock for the software i use - and now i can experiment.
Nevermind then, I think I misunderstood you. It's all good!:toast:

and i am fascinated by the american lifestyle. (HUGE houses, HUGE cars, HUGE roads, HUGE everything)
That's not as true as it used to be, but I get what you're saying.

System Name Dell Precision T5810
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz base, 10 core 20 thread, 3.30Ghz boost. 105w TDP 13,272 CPU Mark
Motherboard Dell stock
Cooling Dell stock
Memory 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 ECC Server
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming 980Ti
Storage Teamgroup MP34 Gen 3 1tb M.2 SSD
Display(s) Samsung Curved 43" 4k UN43KU7500
Case Dell stock
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS. OG PCI Baby!
Power Supply Dell stock 685w
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent keys
Benchmark Scores 5,120 Passmark: https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=164834634813
I feel like I'm going to an addicts anonymous meeting for the first time after finding this thread. Hi Tech Power Up, my name is Mike, and I have a problem. This is my first post here!

Okay, story time! TL;DR at the bottom. Come on over, have a brew. :toast: Stay awhile and listen!

Background part 1, 2015 and my main rig.
Rewind 7 years ago to the summer of 2015. GTAV was all the rage, having finally been released on PC. This turned into my latest "killer app" and I needed a new PC to enjoy it. I went a bit crazy and snagged a i5-4690k CPU (5,759 CPU Mark) with a Corsair Hydro H110i GTX 280mm AIO cooler, 2x8gb of 1866MHz DDR3 ram, a fast at the time Sata III 250gb EVO 850 SSD, and one of the faster GPUs at the time, the venerable MSI Gaming 980ti. It ran GTAV at nearly 60fps @ 4k with all settings maxed out. I was happy. I was also really enjoying Diablo 3 :)

Background part 2, 2017 and family hand me down upgrades.
As with most of you, you're probably your friends and family IT purchaser and support tech. I am no different. Fast forward to 2017 and my dad needed an upgraded PC to dork around with as his C2D, yes C2D, was just to slow for even me to stomach whenever I went to see him. So a bit about me. I can afford new PCs, as seen above, yet I loath spending money. I'm ALL about finding value in the used market if I can, or the best bang for your buck with current new tech. My eyes got blown wide open to older Dell off lease desktops. I snagged a Dell Optiplex 790 with a second gen i5-2400, with 4 gigs of ram for $70 shipped from Goodwill! NICE! I threw in one of my older 64gb Sata SSDs and a 750ti I had gathering dust and it was a pretty dang snappy machine. All invested was ~$250 in parts that could beat PS4/XB1 graphics at the time.

Present day, HP Z220 family upgrade
With the pandemic happening, our local office branch shut down which meant I'm now 24/7 WFH. I now spend the days "working" from my dad's house just to have a change of scenery, among other things. During breaks, I'd fire up his now 5 year old Optiplex 790 to get in a quick rift or 3 on Diablo 3. It still felt snappy-ish, but windows updates were taking a bit too long and it just felt long in the tooth. So yeah, the upgrade bug hit me. I slowly force myself to start researching everything and get back up to speed on what the new greatness is on average to extreme PCs. I'm searching SlickDeals and get --><-- close to buying a refurb Acer. Something along the lines of
$88 Celeron J4125 2GHz 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 2,984 CPU Mark. This would serve as a decent surfer. No gaming obviously.
But then I thought if I'm gonna spend $100, why not $200?
$202 i3-10105 3.70GHz 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 8,840 CPU Mark. Can game if you throw in a half height vija card.

I didn't really wanna have to be out $200 plus also tracking down a half height video card for Diablo3.
So then there was this guy:
$308 i5-10400 2.9GHz 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD (boo!), 12,305 CPU Mark. Really got tempted by this guy but once you get north of $300 you have so many different options. Even if I could just retain my old 750ti which was adequate for 1080p Diablo 3.

When I'm in the middle of all this research, Linus just happened to drop his his "$69" budget gaming rig 2.0 vid:

What what what? A WORKSTATION? As a GAMING PC?!? For being so smart, I'm so stupid sometimes. Why not go back to my roots with the off lease, several years old, yet still very capable workstation?
I was able to snag a HP Z220 CMT E3-1230 v2 3.3GHz 4 core CPU with 16GB Ram, which has a 6,207 CPU Mark. No HDD or GPU in the listing. Long story short the machine only came with 8gb of ram so they refunded me some money, all said and done it was only $44 after the dust settled. An amazing bargain of a very capable machine. I swapped over the SSD and 750ti and all was great.

HP Z220 the day it arrived :)

Here's the Dell Optiplex 790 vs HP Z220 rundown:

And Diablo 3 running 60fps @ 1080p. Kinda odd to see CPU usage hang around in single digit % usage.

Present day, Dell 5810 main rig upgrade
Still rocking the now 7 year old 4690k/980ti main rig. I dabbled a bit with the Doom 2016 demo but really all I like to play on PC is Diablo 3. There hasn't been that next "killer" game yet for me to upgrade everything. However, my main rig started to lock up a lot while playing Diablo 3. Maybe its the OS? Maybe the hardware, who knows. Even the wife was getting frustrated with the main rig having to be rebooted a lot.

The "success" of upgrading the "work/family" machine got me to thinking about upgrading my main rig, because why not? I'm sick in the head and bored and this is fun! Plus it might fix our reboot issues. I'm not quite ready to do a complete rebuild from scratch getting a latest gen CPU/GPU because that's gonna easily be around a $2,000 after all said and done endeavor. Plus I just don't have that "killer" game bugging me to build. Maybe once Diablo 4 drops in 2023?

I put in a few bids on a Z440 as I kept flip flopping between that one and the Dell 5810. Well I kept on getting outbid on the Z440 since I wanted to stay under $120 shipped. I put in a bid on a 5810 and wouldn't you know it I won it @ ~$120 shipped. :)

Looked to be a personal use machine and not just a recycler so it wasn't all beat to heck and back.

As with all these other eBay machines, no HDD/GPU but that's fine. The previous owner had upgraded the CPU to a 13,272 overall / 1,820 single thread CPU Mark Intel Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz, 10 core 20 thread, 3.30Ghz boost. 105w TDP. That's just NUTS. PLUS it came from Dell with 4x16gb 2400MHz DDR4 ram. QUAD CHANNEL BABY!!! The ram alone could sell for $120 on eBay, so I felt I got a bit of a bargain, even if I'll never use it to the fullest.

My old rig's small Sata SSD was getting a bit cramped, and knowing I could boot off an NVMe on the Dell I decided why not and snagged a 1tb TeamGroup MP34 Gen 3 M.2 and adapter card off Amazon for ~$85. Figured I'd hold off on a Gen 4 when I upgrade everything in 2023 and hopefully prices will come down even further. Seems like M.2 are dropping like rocks.

Not to bad! Pretty much maxing out Gen 3 PCIe on the Dell

Now I wanted to move the 980Ti over but it used 2x 8pin power connectors. My 5810 came with the 685w PSU so I should be okay with sticking with the 685w PSU for now. Snagged one of those custom made 8pin mobo to 2x 8 pin gpu cables over on Amazon for $12 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DTKJV53

But what about the 5.1 sound I was used to? Well I rummaged thru my closet and found my ancient Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI card. Yes, ancient regular ole PCI, from the days of the long long ago. A recent Windows 10 update broke playback, but thru the power of googles I found a guy who released custom drivers, https://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/ Thank you Daniel!

I really feel all this rando stuff I was doing was hand in hand with all the crazy that Linus did when he recently decided to throw some upgrades to his HP Z420. Man, the janky stuff they had to do to get things to work. I'm so so so glad I went with the Dell as I can avoid most of that craziness.

So here's my 5810, stuffed in all it's glory

I only have 1 PCIe open slot at this point! HA!
From top to bottom:
1) PCIe 3.0x4 adapter with a TEAMGROUP MP34 Gen 3 M.2 SSD
2) MSI Gaming 980ti 6gb GPU
3) WiFi 6 PCIe card
4) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI sound card.

I gotta say, it's weird seeing low single digit CPU usage while gaming. I know the 10 core CPU I have isn't the best for gaming with it's low 2.60Ghz base clock but eh, I think it'll do for now. 47% 980Ti usage @ 4K max settings

The rig gets a bit toasty and the fans do kick up in high while gaming. I notice but with the game music playing I can ignore it mostly.

And the final tell of the tape with this little crazy $205 upgrade ($120 Dell + $85 M.2 SSD with adapter card) I did for funsies:
4690k SATA SSD vs Dell Xeon M.2 SSD

I gotta say, I'm sorta itching even more to just say f it and snag that AMD 5800x3d since it's getting such rave reviews from gamers. But alas I will HOLD!

TL;DR
I upgraded a couple of my rigs with some older workstations. I love high performance yet low cost upgrades.

Last edited:
@Mike Hawk
I feel like I'm going to an addicts anonymous meeting for the first time after finding this thread. Hi Tech Power Up, my name is Mike, and I have a problem. This is my first post here!

Okay, story time! TL;DR at the bottom. Come on over, have a brew. :toast: Stay awhile and listen!

Background part 1, 2015 and my main rig.
Rewind 7 years ago to the summer of 2015. GTAV was all the rage, having finally been released on PC. This turned into my latest "killer app" and I needed a new PC to enjoy it. I went a bit crazy and snagged a i5-4690k CPU (5,759 CPU Mark) with a Corsair Hydro H110i GTX 280mm AIO cooler, 2x8gb of 1866MHz DDR3 ram, a fast at the time Sata III 250gb EVO 850 SSD, and one of the faster GPUs at the time, the venerable MSI Gaming 980ti. It ran GTAV at nearly 60fps @ 4k with all settings maxed out. I was happy. I was also really enjoying Diablo 3 :)

Background part 2, 2017 and family hand me down upgrades.
As with most of you, you're probably your friends and family IT purchaser and support tech. I am no different. Fast forward to 2017 and my dad needed an upgraded PC to dork around with as his C2D, yes C2D, was just to slow for even me to stomach whenever I went to see him. So a bit about me. I can afford new PCs, as seen above, yet I loath spending money. I'm ALL about finding value in the used market if I can, or the best bang for your buck with current new tech. My eyes got blown wide open to older Dell off lease desktops. I snagged a Dell Optiplex 790 with a second gen i5-2400, with 4 gigs of ram for $70 shipped from Goodwill! NICE! I threw in one of my older 64gb Sata SSDs and a 750ti I had gathering dust and it was a pretty dang snappy machine. All invested was ~$250 in parts that could beat PS4/XB1 graphics at the time.

Present day, HP Z220 family upgrade
With the pandemic happening, our local office branch shut down which meant I'm now 24/7 WFH. I now spend the days "working" from my dad's house just to have a change of scenery, among other things. During breaks, I'd fire up his now 5 year old Optiplex 790 to get in a quick rift or 3 on Diablo 3. It still felt snappy-ish, but windows updates were taking a bit too long and it just felt long in the tooth. So yeah, the upgrade bug hit me. I slowly force myself to start researching everything and get back up to speed on what the new greatness is on average to extreme PCs. I'm searching SlickDeals and get --><-- close to buying a refurb Acer. Something along the lines of
$88 Celeron J4125 2GHz 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 2,984 CPU Mark. This would serve as a decent surfer. No gaming obviously.
But then I thought if I'm gonna spend $100, why not $200?
$202 i3-10105 3.70GHz 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 8,840 CPU Mark. Can game if you throw in a half height vija card.

I didn't really wanna have to be out $200 plus also tracking down a half height video card for Diablo3.
So then there was this guy:
$308 i5-10400 2.9GHz 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD (boo!), 12,305 CPU Mark. Really got tempted by this guy but once you get north of $300 you have so many different options. Even if I could just retain my old 750ti which was adequate for 1080p Diablo 3.

When I'm in the middle of all this research, Linus just happened to drop his his "$69" budget gaming rig 2.0 vid:

What what what? A WORKSTATION? As a GAMING PC?!? For being so smart, I'm so stupid sometimes. Why not go back to my roots with the off lease, several years old, yet still very capable workstation?
I was able to snag a HP Z220 CMT E3-1230 v2 3.3GHz 4 core CPU with 16GB Ram, which has a 6,207 CPU Mark. No HDD or GPU in the listing. Long story short the machine only came with 8gb of ram so they refunded me some money, all said and done it was only $44 after the dust settled. An amazing bargain of a very capable machine. I swapped over the SSD and 750ti and all was great.

HP Z220 the day it arrived :)

Here's the Dell Optiplex 790 vs HP Z220 rundown:

And Diablo 3 running 60fps. Kinda odd to see CPU usage hang around in single digit % usage.

http://lstwo.com/images/86976742554526014961.png

Present day, Dell 5810 main rig upgrade
Still rocking the now 7 year old 4690k/980ti main rig. I dabbled a bit with the Doom 2016 demo but really all I like to play on PC is Diablo 3. There hasn't been that next "killer" game yet for me to upgrade everything. However, my main rig started to lock up a lot while playing Diablo 3. Maybe its the OS? Maybe the hardware, who knows. Even the wife was getting frustrated with main rig having to be rebooted a lot.

The "success" of upgrading the "work/family" machine got me to thinking about upgrading my main rig, because why not? I'm sick in the head and bored and this is fun! Plus it might fix our reboot issues. I'm not quite ready to do a complete rebuild from scratch getting a latest gen CPU/GPU because that's gonna easily be around a $2,000 after all said and done endeavor. Plus I just don't have that "killer" game bugging me to build. Maybe once Diablo 4 drops in 2023?

I put in a few bids on a Z440 as I kept flip flopping between that one and the Dell 5810. Well I kept on getting outbid on the Z440 since I wanted to stay under $120 shipped. I put in a bid on a 5810 and wouldn't you know it I won it @ ~$120 shipped. :)

Looked to be a personal use machine and not just a recycler so it wasn't all beat to heck and back.

http://lstwo.com/images/77226493628207030363.jpg

As with all these other eBay machines, no HDD/GPU but that's fine. The previous owner had upgraded the CPU to a 13,272 overall / 1,820 single thread CPU Mark Intel Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz, 10 core 20 thread, 3.30Ghz boost. 105w TDP. That's just NUTS. PLUS it came from Dell with 4x16gb 2400MHz DDR4 ram. QUAD CHANNEL BABY!!! The ram alone could sell for $120 on eBay, so I felt I got a bit of a bargain, even if I'll never use it to the fullest.

My old rig's small Sata SSD was getting a bit cramped, and knowing I could boot off an NVMe on the Dell I decided why not and snagged a 1tb TeamGroup MP34 Gen 3 M.2 and adapter card off Amazon for ~$85. Figured I'd hold off on a Gen 4 when I upgrade everything in 2023 and hopefully prices will come down even further. Seems like M.2 are dropping like rocks.

Not to bad! Pretty much maxing out Gen 3 PCIe on the Dell

[IMG]http://lstwo.com/images/55984488361374926733.png

Now I wanted to move the 980Ti over but it used 2x 8pin power connectors. My 5810 came with the 685w PSU so I should be okay with sticking with the 685w PSU for now. Snagged one of those custom made 8pin mobo to 2x 8 pin gpu cables over on Amazon for $12 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DTKJV53

But what about the 5.1 sound I was used to? Well I rummaged thru my closet and found my ancient Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI card. Windows 10 updates broke it, but thru the power of googles I found the guy who released custom drivers, https://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/ Thank you Daniel!

I really feel all this rando stuff I was doing was hand in hand with all the crazy that Linus did when he recently decided to throw some upgrades to his HP Z420. Man, the janky stuff they had to do to get things to work. I'm so so so glad I went with the Dell as I can avoid most of that craziness.

So here's my 5810, stuffed in all it's glory

I only have 1 PCIe open slot at this point! HA!
From top to bottom:
1) PCIe 3.0x4 adapter with a TEAMGROUP MP34 Gen 3 M.2 SSD
2) MSI Gaming 980ti 6gb GPU
3) WiFi 6 PCIe card
4) Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI sound card.

I gotta say, it's weird seeing low single digit CPU usage while gaming. I know the 10 core CPU I have isn't the best for gaming with it's low 2.60Ghz base clock but eh, I think it'll do for now.

The rig gets a bit toasty and the fans do kick up in high while gaming. I notice but with the game music playing I can ignore it mostly.

And the finally tell of the tape with this little crazy $205 upgrade ($120 Dell $85 M.2 with adapter card) I did for funsies:
4690k SATA SSD vs Dell Xeon M.2 SSD

I gotta say, I'm sorta itching even more to just say f it and snag that AMD 5800x3d since it's getting such rave reviews from gamers. But alas I will HOLD!

TL;DR
I upgraded a couple of my rigs with some older workstations. I love high performance yet low cost upgrades.
@Mike Hawk
That a nice build. Should last you a while!

Last edited:
System Name Dell Precision T5810
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz base, 10 core 20 thread, 3.30Ghz boost. 105w TDP 13,272 CPU Mark
Motherboard Dell stock
Cooling Dell stock
Memory 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 ECC Server
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming 980Ti
Storage Teamgroup MP34 Gen 3 1tb M.2 SSD
Display(s) Samsung Curved 43" 4k UN43KU7500
Case Dell stock
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS. OG PCI Baby!
Power Supply Dell stock 685w
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent keys
Benchmark Scores 5,120 Passmark: https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=164834634813
@Mike Hawk
That a nice build. Should last you a while!
Hope so. It was mostly an exercise in dorking out tbh. As my game I was playing wasn't CPU bound to begin with, I really didn't buy much of anything other than bragging rights on the higher benchmarks, which still pale in comparison to current gen mid tier stuff.

So one maybe big game breaker. What's up with sleep mode? If the 5810 goes to sleep, wiggling the mouse won't wake it up. The power button on the case will blink on and off and you have to press it to wake up, and waking up takes a long time. That's unfortunate if I can't change that habbit. This thing is sorta a power hog to begin with and I'd hate to have to disable sleep mode on it.

What's up with sleep mode? If the 5810 goes to sleep, wiggling the mouse won't wake it up.
Yeah, don't use any of the Sleep modes. They require a very specific configuration and are otherwise glitchy as hell. Get into the BIOS and disable all but the basic C-states.

me again:
does anyone have/know of a table with ECC ram compatibility?

tried mixing 4r x 4 with 2r x 4 and got the blinking orange power button :D

*i must admit, I am more of a quantity man rather than quality :D

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
Hope so. It was mostly an exercise in dorking out tbh. As my game I was playing wasn't CPU bound to begin with, I really didn't buy much of anything other than bragging rights on the higher benchmarks, which still pale in comparison to current gen mid tier stuff.

So one maybe big game breaker. What's up with sleep mode? If the 5810 goes to sleep, wiggling the mouse won't wake it up. The power button on the case will blink on and off and you have to press it to wake up, and waking up takes a long time. That's unfortunate if I can't change that habbit. This thing is sorta a power hog to begin with and I'd hate to have to disable sleep mode on it.
Dell Workstations tend to have PS2 mouse and keyboard ports (at least the older stuff I play with did). Maybe the Dell BIOS is expecting that? I found out that the polling rate for USB is higher than PS2 so it's faster for gaming than the hardwired PS2. So may be a 2nd mouse for wake up calls?

Last edited:

IsraelBinarium

Hello everyone, I work with notebook and desktop maintenance. I got a Dell Precision T5500 with the following problem: It turns on, it works normally for days, you can restart it without problem, but if you turn it off it keeps one of the fans on and if you try to turn it on, it generates the code of led amber and 1 and 2 flashing and then off. That would be SYS_PWORK defect. When you use it for a while, it turns off, if you let the fan stop (which can take a long time), when it turns off if you turn it on, it will turn on normally, it is a very complex defect given that there is no electrical diagram to follow. I tried to update the bios through the system, but it restarts and pulls the bios update, it updates successfully (too fast) but keeps the version. Could someone help me with this defect?

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
Some T5500 have an intermittent issue with the 2nd CPU daughter board socket (if that's installed?) Often they will only work properly if used in desktop configuration. This was provided by one of the vendors of surplus Dell workstations. I have no personal experience with this issue.

IsraelBinarium

Some T5500 have an intermittent issue with the 2nd CPU daughter board socket (if that's installed?) Often they will only work properly if used in desktop configuration. This was provided by one of the vendors of surplus Dell workstations. I have no personal experience with this issue.
It's used with only 1 CPU.

Hello everyone, I work with notebook and desktop maintenance. I got a Dell Precision T5500 with the following problem: It turns on, it works normally for days, you can restart it without problem, but if you turn it off it keeps one of the fans on and if you try to turn it on, it generates the code of led amber and 1 and 2 flashing and then off. That would be SYS_PWORK defect. When you use it for a while, it turns off, if you let the fan stop (which can take a long time), when it turns off if you turn it on, it will turn on normally, it is a very complex defect given that there is no electrical diagram to follow. I tried to update the bios through the system, but it restarts and pulls the bios update, it updates successfully (too fast) but keeps the version. Could someone help me with this defect?
As shown on Dells troubleshooting page:
That is a problem with an onboard regulator, likely the fan regulator given the fan behavior.
More info can be found in the service PDF.