• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

I think I've had that PB7 error before when plugging the CPU risers in. There's a bit of a trick to getting those seated well and it's really easy to put them in without them actually being pushed in properly/all the way plugged in. I don't run speed fan so I can't help you there. But try and see if you can get the riser card more well seated in the sockets.

Last edited:
System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
With 2 CPUs you should have a fornt CPU fan, A cage fan for the expansion slot area, and a fan for the 2nd CPU inside the heatsink assembly.
A vendor of used workstations says that the T5500 MB is hit or miss as far as the 2nd CPU riser working properly. Laying it down in desktop orientation is supposed to help. The drives can be installed sideways, and a desktop front bezel is available for this.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Motherboard Dell v6 G1CNH
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Video Card(s) Onboard currently
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
I think I've had that PB7 error before when plugging the CPU risers in. There's a bit of a trick to getting those seated well and it's really easy to put them in without them actually being pushed in properly/all the way plugged in. I don't run speed fan so I can't help you there. But try and see if you can get the riser card more well seated in the sockets.

For years its been running fine and I even took it out a few times to clean, this time though I redid the thermal paste on the cpu and so I am thinking I might have screwed something up there. ugh.

I will see if something is blocking it but I think I had it in all the way like normal.

Thank you.

With 2 CPUs you should have a fornt CPU fan, A cage fan for the expansion slot area, and a fan for the 2nd CPU inside the heatsink assembly.
A vendor of used workstations says that the T5500 MB is hit or miss as far as the 2nd CPU riser working properly. Laying it down in desktop orientation is supposed to help. The drives can be installed sideways, and a desktop front bezel is available for this.

I was doing thermal paste on both and wanted to start it up first with out the 2nd cpu, which i have done a few times. for years all has been working. with that pic I only had the main cpu installed. so there are two front fans and then the little chipset fan i think. then video and power supply. couldnt figire out the last fan.

But now I need to figure out why my 2nd cpu asseblemy isnt working and causing that error.

Thank you

This may be a dumb question but if you have identical cpus they can be swapped from cpu 1 to the cpu assembly?

Ok, I'm one step closer, got the better hearsink and its booting now with both cpus, but getting an error now.

Memory failure detected in riser dimm 3...

I checked the Cpu again and it looks clean. No paste on back side.

Has anyone seen this?

Memory failure on dimm 3 will be just needing a clean and re-seat or worst case what it says.. a bad ram stick. But it's great news that you have the cpu booting. And yes you can put the cpu from one slot to the other.. but not any point when they are the same

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Memory failure on dimm 3 will be just needing a clean and re-seat or worst case what it says.. a bad ram stick. But it's great news that you have the cpu booting. And yes you can put the cpu from one slot to the other.. but not any point when they are the same

Does that mean repeat the cpu or ram?

Does that mean repeat the cpu or ram?

Just take that stick of ram out and put it back in. You might have lost the connection while you've been playing around with things. Sometimes you need to re seat ram sticks after a machine has been shipped somewhere etc.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Just take that stick of ram out and put it back in. You might have lost the connection while you've been playing around with things. Sometimes you need to re seat ram sticks after a machine has been shipped somewhere etc.

I'm working on that now, Keep getting memory population error now ugh.

cobaltcosmic

Hi all, fellow Dell owner here, with a twist. All (read: way too many) of my systems at home are Dell Rack systems, all being used as workstations or NAS. At present, I have four R5400 workstations, one R5500 & R7910 being delivered later this week, four R610s, two R310s running UNRAID (with pfSense & Zabbix VMs) and a single R210 running a Dell PV132T tape library. Non critical systems are racked up in a 42U rack in my non air conditioned garage with video being served in the house via PCoIP (Teradici), with some of the other temperature/critical systems residing in a 15U rack in my basement lab. I did install Windows 10 onto the R610s and installed a PCoIP host card with a 25W video card.

I'm currently gearing up to push a couple of the systems as far into the gaming world as possible. To date, none of them have a serious gaming GPU installed. To start, I will continue working with the PCoIP setup and see how far I can take it with these systems. The main gaming rig will consist of a R5500 with dual video cards and dual PCoIP cards. Since only one PCoIP card can host peripherals, the other will be installed in stand-alone mode by not plugging it into a PCIe slot and powered via a floppy connector (don't ask, still working out the pathway for that).

I'm curious to see how far, if at all, I can take any of these systems down the overclocking road, too!

Anyway, thanks for reading!

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
I believe the single CPU workstations are designed to be rack mounted. A T3500 get's you instantly into the gaming/overclocking game.
I know just about nothing related to what you're doing already so it may not be what you want.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
I moved the ram around and still get a memory failure detected in riser dimm 3, and now I'm getting also error initializing pci express slot 3 ... and from what i can tell I get a non population error if I take it out.

Can the slot go bad that easy?

Last edited:
The main gaming rig will consist of a R5500 with dual video cards and dual PCoIP cards. Since only one PCoIP card can host peripherals, the other will be installed in stand-alone mode by not plugging it into a PCIe slot and powered via a floppy connector (don't ask, still working out the pathway for that).

I'm curious to see how far, if at all, I can take any of these systems down the overclocking road, too!

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Sounds look a nice collection !. I kinda want a R5500 myself, not that I need it.. but I just like the fact that it exists. I don't think you'll have much trouble turning it into a gaming machine, I've played games on my IBM x3650 m2 with a GPU and windows 10 on it, same generation as the R5500 but a full blown server, so if that can game your R5500 will. The most annoy thing with the IBM is that it wont show anything like splash screen bios or configuration when you are booting to something other than not onboard graphics. So you can't see anything until windows starts. But once you are up and running it's just as fast as a dual T5500/T7500.

I moved the ram around and still get a memory failure detected in riser dimm 3, and now I'm getting also error initializing pci express slot 3 ... and from what i can tell I get a non population error if I take it out.

Can the slot go bad that easy?

I still think you have a connection problem somewhere, if you are still getting an error on slot 3 of the riser and it doesn't follow the ram stick.. I can't see how just one slot can go bad unless it's physically broken a trace somewhere. Seems more likely a connection problem with the riser since you've had that out and they can be hard to get connected right.

Last edited:
System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Sounds look a nice collection !. I kinda want a R5500 myself, not that I need it.. but I just like the fact that it exists. I don't think you'll have much trouble turning it into a gaming machine, I've played games on my IBM x3650 m2 with a GPU and windows 10 on it, same generation as the R5500 but a full blown server, so if that can game your R5500 will. The most annoy thing with the IBM is that it wont show anything like splash screen bios or configuration when you are booting to something other than not onboard graphics. So you can't see anything until windows starts. But once you are up and running it's just as fast as a dual T5500/T7500.

I still think you have a connection problem somewhere, if you are still getting an error on slot 3 of the riser and it doesn't follow the ram stick.. I can't see how just one slot can go bad unless it's physically broken a trace somewhere. Seems more likely a connection problem with the riser since you've had that out and they can be hard to get connected right.

Would cpu cause an issue at all? I had checked it once and looked ok to me. Back of cpu and board on the riser

unoproph

Hi I'm new to the Dell Owners group as I just recently picked up a Dell T3500 last week for $60 and looking for some guidance on where to go next with the budget systems. I just also had a two for one pick up on GPUs. One was an R9 380 and the other was the R9 290. Reading about the power consumption of that card makes me hesitant to put that in with the 525w PSU in here.

It came with a w3530 which I believe is not overclock-able with the Dell Bios and I can't seem to get XTU to recognize the chip or OC this with the Techpowerup utility with the chip either. So from what I've been reading it looks like a W3680 is where I may need to go. Would this be correct as a good next step?

After I do the CPU what is recommended for the PSU upgrade later if I choose to use the R9 290? I believe I read on here the T5500 / Alienware 875w PSUs pop in here nice. If that's the case does the current wiring harness work or will I need to take apart the PC to correct get that one in?

I appreciate some responses to the very late newcomer to the X58. I'm really just looking for a good budget deal on a PC that will give me a lot more performance than a Raspberry Pi for retro gaming and I know what's in here currently is many times better already. I just would like to get to that next step if possible. So trying to keep the next upgrades to $100 or so. Thanks.

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Hi I'm new to the Dell Owners group as I just recently picked up a Dell T3500 last week for $60 and looking for some guidance on where to go next with the budget systems. I just also had a two for one pick up on GPUs. One was an R9 380 and the other was the R9 290. Reading about the power consumption of that card makes me hesitant to put that in with the 525w PSU in here.

It came with a w3530 which I believe is not overclock-able with the Dell Bios and I can't seem to get XTU to recognize the chip or OC this with the Techpowerup utility with the chip either. So from what I've been reading it looks like a W3680 is where I may need to go. Would this be correct as a good next step?

After I do the CPU what is recommended for the PSU upgrade later if I choose to use the R9 290? I believe I read on here the T5500 / Alienware 875w PSUs pop in here nice. If that's the case does the current wiring harness work or will I need to take apart the PC to correct get that one in?

I appreciate some responses to the very late newcomer to the X58. I'm really just looking for a good budget deal on a PC that will give me a lot more performance than a Raspberry Pi for retro gaming and I know what's in here currently is many times better already. I just would like to get to that next step if possible. So trying to keep the next upgrades to $100 or so. Thanks.
Throttlestop is probably the best choice for overclocking that. XTU was designed for later CPUs. There's a forum on doing this and most of us here post there also. The T3500 W3680 is the prefered setup there. The Dell BIOS is not involved in the overclocking at all.
As far as the GPUs go The R9 380 is newer tech than the R9 290 and more efficient at 190W vs. 275W. So if you don't want to buy a PSU go with that one. But the overclocked 6 core CPU and the R9-380 will probably have that PSU on the ragged edge. it would probably be time to go for an aftermarket PSU with enough power (20A.) on the 5V. rail to match what Dell provided there. EVGA makes some with that capacity.
Another option would be the 875W T5500 PSU. Dell PSUs come with several 18A. 12 V rails. The 525W has 3, the 875W has 5 of them.
The harness will have 2x 6 pin GPU cables, but the extra 8 pin CPU cable can be adapted to an 8 pin PCIe.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Can anyone recommend what magnification I would need for looking at the cpu pins? I am wondering if the pins are bent slightly.

Currently I am getting two errors.

Alert ! Error initializing PCI express slot 3
Alert! Memory failure detected in RISER DIMM 3.

The dell bios tests are all good.

either my board is bad or something wierd is up?

I do want to thank everyone for help.
Bill

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
I use jewelers "goggles" (I don't know their official name) for looking at things like that, I guess bent cpu socket pins could explain your issues.

So far they seem OK, but I don't have magnification to check. jewelers goggles are a good idea, thank you.

here are some pics I took, I cant see anything. I did order a magnifier that will be here tomorrow, then maybe I can find out whats going on?

Attachments

• 20200819_191049.jpg
    20200819_191049.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • 20200819_191211.jpg
    20200819_191211.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 93

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I bought a cheap USB Microscope :) a while ago and its perfect for checking for bent lga pins amongst other things
would recommend one for anyone's toolbox.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
May be the lighting. Pin in upper left marked RED (first image) looks bent to me - rotated clockwise a bit. Possibly making contact with other pin when clamping pressure applied. All it takes.

A 10X jeweler's loupe works for me. (second image). Inexpensive at $15.
That t5500 board showed as dead with the bent pins shown and now works again. Mechanical pencil with lead removed slipped over the pin makes it easy to bend if needed.

Attachments

• socket1.jpg
    socket1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
  • socket2.jpg
    socket2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 145
Nice find ^ I never saw that one but it's clear as day now you pointed it out

Looks like that is pin F1 ? = DDR0_DQ[34]F1CMOSI/O

Could be a winner

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
I can't see any pins obviously out of whack. The machine works perfectly without the riser and second cpu in it?

Yea so far, and it even works works with it in, Just get that riser dimm 3 error and then only showing 64gb, not 72gb.

I started over completely and with only 1 cpu tested all the ram sticks, so I know those are good.

Plus no errors, so its something to do with the 2nd cpu and riser.

Thank you

May be the lighting. Pin in upper left marked RED (first image) looks bent to me - rotated clockwise a bit. Possibly making contact with other pin when clamping pressure applied. All it takes.

A 10X jeweler's loupe works for me. (second image). Inexpensive at $15.
That t5500 board showed as dead with the bent pins shown and now works again. Mechanical pencil with lead removed slipped over the pin makes it easy to bend if needed.

Hey thanks, that gives me something to try, I ordered a magnifier 30x and should get it today so I can check that out.

FYI This is the ram I am using, I also want to make sure its correct. Anyone can confirm?

Thank you for all your help @everyone

Last edited:
I hope straightening that pin fixes it for you. If not maybe you can find a cheap riser card.

MY T5810 was supposed to be delivered today but the truck just drove around and went back the the depot without dropping it off.. I guess tomorrow is the day. If it's still working when it arrives I'll immediatly order ram and a cpu.. Not that I've totally decided on which cpu you get yet, there's so many that machine can run that it's a bit confusing :).

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Hey thanks, that gives me something to try, I ordered a magnifier 30x and should get it today so I can check that out.

FYI This is the ram I am using, I also want to make sure its correct. Anyone can confirm?

Thank you for all your help @everyone
Seems to me those modules should work. They show on the Intel 5520 comparability list. <

Have also confirmed in my T5500 boards (see link in signature below) the IBM #49Y1415 modules work regardless of re-brand. If used/refurbished modules are an option for you they typically sell for $11 - $15 on Ebay. Shipping and price may vary by location of course.

Well the T5810 arrived. Some thoughts on the machine.. The case isn't as high quality as the T5500/T7500 series but the components on the motherboard look just as good.

Here is the geekbench 4 run as purchased with I think.. the slowest CPU that can be put in the machine.. It's still actually very snappy to use as is.

I remembered that I ordered a couple of E5 2620 V3 six cores on aliexpress a while ago when they were very cheap (15 dollars).. just in case I ever build a dual X99 machine and needed something to boot it up with. Those CPU's should arrive soon so I will run one of those in this machine for now. As I will only have a Rx 480 GPU for this machine I'll be GPU limited even with the cheap 6 core so for now I'll run that. When the faster 8 core or 12+++++ cores drop in price I can pick one of those up, but being sensible.. there is no point right now.

Expected performance vs the current 4 core is here

For now I will sink all my coins into ram sticks. It's currently running 2x4 gig sticks but with only 8 ram slots onboard if I stick to 4 gig I'm limited to total ram of 32gig.. That wont be enough for the 5 years I plan to keep this machine running. So I will start again with 8 gig sticks. At first I'll order 4 x 8 gig sticks so I can get the full 4 channel ram bandwidth and I'll order 2400 mhz ddr4 ram so that I am ready for the V4 Xeons once they drop in price.

The power consumption on this machine should be next level for me. At the moment the cpu idles around using windows at 10 watts... ! and only makes it to 38 watts under full load all 4 core turbo.. It can't pull more power than that despite being a 140 watt TDP. Very impressive. It's also a basically silent machine so no regrets on this purchase. Now it's just matter of waiting around for some parts to arrive before I can test it on some games.

Just for fun here's the T5810 with the basic 4 core versus my sons T5500 which is running the average E5649 core, there's a X5675 on the way for my sons machine but it plays games at 1080p above 60 frames no problem with the E5649 and a RX 570. Sons machine is running 24gig of ram in triple channel these days so marginally faster than in this benchmark.

Update: Ordered 2 x 8 gig sticks of 2400mhz ECC ram, I want to see if the machine will happily run these with the 2 exsiting 4 gig sticks in quad channel or not before I buy all 8 gig sticks.

Last edited: