• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dubai lamps

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Much appreciated; I had thought to get a bulb to try from Dubai, but you saved me the trouble.

Dimmable LED is a total crapfest anyway. Meanwhile a wall socket led dimmer costs like 50 EUR. its ridiculous. Finding the right bulb with the perfect dimmer that might last is a horrible challenge of trial and error.

Sooner rather than later, you get some kind of irregularity. Slight flicker, and it will escalate. Or maybe I've just been super unlucky, but honestly, not a single LED dimmer in the house works as it should. I have one that only pushes something 'not so bright' and then goes straight to 'wear sunglasses mode' in the bathroom, and downstairs we had one that started failing after a year and also never really had a decent range of dimming.

And yes... we checked what dimmer to use with what sort of lamp, wattage, etc.

The better solution are the dual or triple option switches, they just give you 2 or 3 steps for brightness. Those are fine!

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Oh, and by the way, LED bulbs with the plastic diffusers are -obviously- easier to repair than the filament type, replacing a burnt LED can be done in seconds with the right tools, same for caps and coils. The transformer usually outlasts the rest of the parts and can be recycled, depending on the output and if the surface allows you can also add extra LEDs and transform a 10W bulb into a 12 or 15W, neat trick.
If LEDs aren't available I've used 10Ω resistors before and bulbs lived for a long time, the ghetto alternative is shorting the contacts with a puddle of solder, it's not pretty but it'll be enough for a weekend until you get another bulb.
I've tried replacing or shorting the diodes several times. Most often, another one failed soon, meaning they were all at the end of life.
They are driven by a constant current source so shorting one won't put more load on others, but this also meant that a series resistor has no effect. (Sometimes it's not that simple, they may not be all connected in series but in some combination of series and parallel.)

Processor 7800X3D
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Mouse XTRFY M42
Why it's best to avoid LED filament lamps. In short, they overheat. Common LED lamps have diodes mounted on an aluminium substrate with good thermal coupling to the shell. The shell is usually plastic but cooling is still reasonably good, and more powerful lamps have metal shells, sometimes with cooling fins. In filament lamps, LEDs sit and sweat on tiny substrates with little cooling ability. Dubai lamps have 8 filaments for 2 watts, that's obviously better than 2 or 4. But there's still the glass bulb there, which is very effective at preventing convection cooling.

The stated lifespan is exaggerated in all CFL and LED lamps, I'm sure it's even more so in these. They're supposed to retain ~78% of lumens after 25k hours. No way.

At least in the kitchen, and elsewhere around food, look for good CRI. And R9 too - if you can ever find that data. Some of the highest efficiency V-Tac lamps that I linked have both specified and the R9 is very low, I can only assume it's a tradeoff for efficiency.

Very interesting article, that! Thx!

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
Dimmable LED is a total crapfest anyway. Meanwhile a wall socket led dimmer costs like 50 EUR. its ridiculous. Finding the right bulb with the perfect dimmer that might last is a horrible challenge of trial and error.

Sooner rather than later, you get some kind of irregularity. Slight flicker, and it will escalate. Or maybe I've just been super unlucky, but honestly, not a single LED dimmer in the house works as it should. I have one that only pushes something 'not so bright' and then goes straight to 'wear sunglasses mode' in the bathroom, and downstairs we had one that started failing after a year and also never really had a decent range of dimming.

And yes... we checked what dimmer to use with what sort of lamp, wattage, etc.

The better solution are the dual or triple option switches, they just give you 2 or 3 steps for brightness. Those are fine!
What kind of switches? I'd very much like to find that, found these on Aliexpress but don't like the touch user interface. I suppose they at least work properly because they are not simply connected in series with the lamp; they need a permanent 230V supply (line + neutral).
Although the series capacitor solution works fine for me, gets me just one step between off and on but that's OK.

Processor 7800X3D
Mouse XTRFY M42
What if you knew that could be done for 5W?

Honestly? Personally? A complete and utter non-issue where I would value the cost of the product higher than the usage of energy. We're looking at single digit wattages here. That's literally cents on yearly energy bill.

We use about 2300kwh yearly for two person households and that's being optimistic. I mean... this is the kind of detail that is pretty irrelevant.

Also, consider what some have said in this topic! 'We can now use LEDs to light up a whole floor, while using less than a single bulb'. So... considering the climate impact... we're now producing more stuff that uses less energy, and we buy more stuff because it saves energy. Something seems counterproductive here ;) Could this be a paradox of progress?

What kind of switches? I'd very much like to find that, found these on Aliexpress but don't like the touch user interface. I suppose they at least work properly because they are not simply connected in series with the lamp; they need a permanent 230V supply (line + neutral).
Although the series capacitor solution works fine for me, gets me just one step between off and on but that's OK.

They're actually the lamps themselves.

The dimmer is removed from the equation - you just use the switch you had an extra time to go through the steps.

I'll try to find some english site. But you can search for 'Step Dimming'.
There it is.

We have one in the kid's room, it works a charm. I'll be replacing all dimmable stuff with this over time.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
In bedrooms, it's meant to help people sleep/rest easier
In the puter room/study, i wonder which would be best...

Edit: i am officially blind because i looked directly at these LED's as they turned on
I mentioned these a few times, and they seem to be pretty good competitors to the doobies and yet quite unknown so here we go:

3K is what i'm used to
4K used both sets of lights, i dont want to use the extra wattage (oh no, 18W)
6K right now makes everything look... blue-ish? white-ish blue ish

My roof lights:
View attachment 236040

El switcho
View attachment 236041

At this point my son switched the light on to help and burned my retinas out of my face, hence the blur
16W for 4000K (both strips) - 3 and 6 use just one side (Was the other room higher wattage? i need to check)
View attachment 236042

Unrelated edit:

"f your space has white walls and ceilings and you select a warmer hue of white, it will look warmer than if it had a dark color scheme. Conversely, if your room is predominately dark in color, you may want a cooler hue of white, so you can clearly see the room."

^ Random internet quote, makes sense. The colour lighting we want depends on our wall colour!
Nice light that you have there. Turning on both "orange" and "white" LEDs won't give you twice the power; the total current will stay at 700 mA but will be distributed between both. Which is good because it won't overheat the LEDs or your retinas.

With that said, I think the "wrong" colour doesn't cause *eye* strain. It can affect your internal clock in ways you don't want. But eye strain is likely caused by the lights being too bright or not bright enough.

They're actually the lamps themselves.

The dimmer is removed from the equation - you just use the switch you had an extra time to go through the steps.

There it is.

We have one in the kid's room, it works a charm. I'll be replacing all dimmable stuff with this over time.
Ah, I see. I have some too (in other shapes). Would also need a step dimmer as a separate component, though.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Which Philips Altos? I can find some here but the CRI is all over the place, from 59 to 89. Fluorescent tubes I use the most are Osram 830 or a mix of 830 and 840. (It's a universal colour code, 8 means CRI over 80, and 30 or 40 is 3000K or 4000K.)
The problem of many LED lamps is actually deficiency of reds more than anything else. That's what gives fruit and vegetables and meat a weird grey colour. And high efficiency goes contrary to good reproduction of reds.

But why is that so? Because there are lights where previously there were none, or were less powerful? In comparison with the old and huge mercury (or even sodium) lamps, tiny diodes are easily tamed to send the light in the desired direction, like downwards, instead of everywhere.
I have mostly their 48-inch T8s and 48-inch T12s, then in 2021, I got 1 46-inch T5HO fixture with F54T5 tubes that are 4,100K-rated.

About the LED light-pollution report? I think it's the blue-light-spectrum.

Last edited:
Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC

What a ripoff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SceneSwitch-Classic-Dimming-Filament/dp/B073FMDXJN There it is.

All manufacturers use pictures like this to showcase stuff.

I can only think of this if I sit at the table to eat and have a light literally 30cm away from my eyes.

Those low hanging fixtures seem to be purely decorative though, the kind of stuff a boring housewife asks her husband to install over the kitchen counters to use once in a lifetime and then forgets about it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Nice light that you have there. Turning on both "orange" and "white" LEDs won't give you twice the power; the total current will stay at 700 mA but will be distributed between both. Which is good because it won't overheat the LEDs or your retinas.

With that said, I think the "wrong" colour doesn't cause *eye* strain. It can affect your internal clock in ways you don't want. But eye strain is likely caused by the lights being too bright or not bright enough.

Ah, I see. I have some too (in other shapes). Would also need a step dimmer as a separate component, though.
using both draws the full power, one each uses half

That said, i switched to both in the computer room and wont go back - it's reduced the eyestrain issue

Well I made my own LED lamp thats behind the monitor out of a LED strip 10W/m 2700K with diffusor and all. Cool and long lasting 5W of 2700K sweetness!

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Well I made my own LED lamp thats behind the monitor out of a LED strip 10W/m 2700K with diffusor and all. Cool and long lasting 5W of 2700K sweetness!
own pcb or just parts of a strip in parallel? I made one with LED filament, it's barebones but does the job, and no glass helps dissipate heat faster

I usually glue parts of a strip on a flat alu or thin SS plate for added cooling; never gets hotter than 40°C.

Last edited: