• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How can I make sure that my BIOS version is authentic?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte Auros Elite AX V2
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE White
Memory TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon Rx 6800
Storage Fanxiang S660 1TB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB, BraveEagle 240GB SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD
Case Corsair 4000D White
Power Supply Corsair RM750x SHIFT
They have to (assuming you are in the US [or Europe?]). In many places it is illegal for them to enforce that sticker. That sticker is an intimidation tactic and they have already received government warning to knock it off.
PowerColor still have this listed as a denial of RMA on their site, I was looking just a couple of days ago, also I think it's restricted only to the USA as there was a court case regarding it, outside of the USA I believe they can and still use this not to warrant RMAs

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage 256+240+128+480+2x1TB SSDs + 3TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Yeah it does work but It has coil whine and high temps.
But it still works. I'm 99% sure that the bios version doesn't have anything to do with that.

Cards are invidual samples, some have coil whine where others don't. And it could suffer from dried thermal paste and/or dirty cooler. Asus' Dual is also a cheap brand so their coolers aren't good in overall.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
PowerColor still have this listed as a denial of RMA on their site, I was looking just a couple of days ago, also I think it's restricted only to the USA as there was a court case regarding it, outside of the USA I believe they can and still use this not to warrant RMAs

They can say what they want and intimidate consumers until warned or fined, but they can not legally enforce their stickers in US and EU (and elsewhere?). If they try to enforce it, they should be fined or sued. It is the consumers' duty to hold them accountable.

EU enforcement, according to some search result:

"—- EU Consumer Protection Laws

1. Directive 1999/44/EC: This directive, which governs consumer guarantees in the EU, mandates that goods sold must be in conformity with the contract of sale. If they are not, consumers have the right to have the goods repaired, replaced, or refunded.
2. Directive 2011/83/EU: This directive on consumer rights further reinforces the protection of consumers, ensuring that warranty terms cannot unfairly restrict the consumer's statutory rights.

—- Implications for Warranty Void Stickers

1. Unfair Terms: Warranty void stickers can be considered unfair terms if they try to limit a consumer's statutory rights under EU law. For instance, a company cannot deny warranty service simply because a consumer has opened the device, unless the action directly caused the defect.
2. Right to Repair: The EU's focus on the right to repair emphasizes that consumers should be able to open and repair their own devices without automatically voiding the warranty. This is part of a broader initiative to reduce electronic waste and promote sustainability."

In the EU, I guess prove me wrong. In the US there is zero question that I am correct.

unplugged

Ok I will try to get thermal paste and pads replaced by official service since It's still covered by warranty. I have another question about the card's cosmetic.
1722785863650.png

as seen on the image above, this part of the card is loose, would that be a problem?

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
They can say what they want and intimidate consumers until warned or fined, but they can not legally enforce their stickers in US and EU (and elsewhere?). If they try to enforce it, they should be fined or sued. It is the consumers' duty to hold them accountable.

EU enforcement, according to some search result:

"—- EU Consumer Protection Laws

1. Directive 1999/44/EC: This directive, which governs consumer guarantees in the EU, mandates that goods sold must be in conformity with the contract of sale. If they are not, consumers have the right to have the goods repaired, replaced, or refunded.
2. Directive 2011/83/EU: This directive on consumer rights further reinforces the protection of consumers, ensuring that warranty terms cannot unfairly restrict the consumer's statutory rights.

—- Implications for Warranty Void Stickers

1. Unfair Terms: Warranty void stickers can be considered unfair terms if they try to limit a consumer's statutory rights under EU law. For instance, a company cannot deny warranty service simply because a consumer has opened the device, unless the action directly caused the defect.
2. Right to Repair: The EU's focus on the right to repair emphasizes that consumers should be able to open and repair their own devices without automatically voiding the warranty. This is part of a broader initiative to reduce electronic waste and promote sustainability."
I guess that they can use the warranty sticker/seal as a scapegoat if the card brokes, the user has tinkered with it so they can wash their hands and blame the user.

Ok I will try to get thermal paste and pads replaced by official service since It's still covered by warranty. I have another question about the card's cosmetic.
View attachment 357505
as seen on the image above, this part of the card is loose, would that be a problem?
Nah, it's just a bent fin. Nothing to worry except it's a small cosmetic flaw.

unplugged

Laws doesn't really matter in my country xd, I live in Turkiye.

I will open a ticket on ASUS support but If they do not accept repairing/warranty, I can do it by myself but have never changed "thermal pads" before. What kind of a procedure I will come across?

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
I guess that they can use the warranty sticker/seal as a scapegoat if the card brokes, the user has tinkered with it so they can wash their hands and blame the user.
Only if they can show within reason that the user caused damage. Otherwise it is illegal to deny warranty in many places.

We became aware of this ruling in the past, and just recently the FTC issued another warning.

Laws doesn't really matter in my country xd, I live in Turkiye.

I will open a ticket on ASUS support but If they do not accept repairing/warranty, I can do it by myself but have never changed "thermal pads" before. What kind of a procedure I will come across?
Just RMA it then. You have never done it before and you might not be protected legally. It's not worth the risk.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Only if they can show within reason that the user caused damage. Otherwise it is illegal to deny warranty in many places.
That's more a de jure than de facto thing from my experience :rolleyes:

Processor i9 10900K
Motherboard ASUS Z590 E-Gaming
Cooling CPU AIO - EVGA Liquid cooled GPU - Air cooled
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3090 Ti Holoblack (NTK female pins in the cable that came with the GPU)
Storage Too many to list here !!!
Display(s) 32" Samsung 4K (Smart Monitor)
Case Obsidian 500D
Audio Device(s) Monitor - see above
Power Supply EVGA 1000 watt
Mouse EVGA X17
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Win 10
The OP really needs to find out why the PC has "insufficient system resources" error when trying to run the latest GPU-Z app before anything else is done.

If the OP has a 2nd PC, use that to test the RTX 3060 Ti in to see if GPU-Z (latest version) see's the card properly.

Processor i9 10900K
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3090 Ti Holoblack (NTK female pins in the cable that came with the GPU)
Case Obsidian 500D
Mouse EVGA X17
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Win 10
Then you need to find out what's causing that error when the latest version of GPU-Z is run with that "insufficient system resources" error as shown in one of your posts here.

It's either a driver issue with other hardware or something is up with something else.

Start with the RAM on the motherboard, shut the system down, remove the power cable from the PSU and then remove the RAM sticks and reseat them back in their slots on the motherboard, then fire up the PC to see if that's solved the issue.

Time to do some fault finding ..... either its hardware related or a driver issue.

Last edited:

unplugged

Then you need to find out what's causing that error when the latest version of GPU-Z with that "insufficient system resources" error as shown in you one of your posts here.

It's either a driver issue with other hardware or something is up with something else.

Start with the RAM on the motherboard, shut the system down, remove the power cable from the PSU and then remove the RAM sticks and reseat them back in their slots on the motherboard, then fire up the PC to see if that's solved the issue.
I have tested my rams a week ago in memtest86 for around 2 hours and no errors. But I will try to turn off my D.O.C.P and try again.
Yeah doesn't work again.

Now it says this.

Attachments

• 1722789109495.png
    1722789109495.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Processor i9 10900K
Memory 32GB
Case Obsidian 500D
Mouse EVGA X17
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Win 10
Not seen anyone with that error in a long time.

This might be one for W1zzard to see if it could be a driver / service that GPU-Z starts when it's run.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I just checked the source, this happens when my driver can't allocate memory during startup for the driver name and the registry path, both less than 1 KB.

"ExAllocatePoolWithTag returns NULL if there is insufficient memory in the free pool to satisfy the request. Otherwise, the routine returns a pointer to the allocated memory."

I'm allocating from PagedPool

Is your disk full? Do you have a pagefile set? Does starting GPU-Z work right after a reboot with no additional apps started?

Do you use an antivirus that might block our driver somehow?

Can you run RamMap and show a screenshot of the 1st tab (Interested in the stats for "Paged Pool")

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 14700K
Motherboard Asus TUF Z790
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory DDR5 G.Skill Z5 RGB 6000mhz C36
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Super
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Corsair 1050w HX series
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce Max Freq 14700K 7.0ghz DryIce Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
I have bought a used ASUS dual 3060Ti but I can't find anything about it's BIOS version. The version is 94.04.94.00.85, card is working around 80°C at load and 35-50°C idle and it's under warranty. What do you guys suggest?
View attachment 357459
You do know Gpu-z current version is 2.59 right?

I suggest DDU all AMD and NV display drivers. Then install the most current for your gpu. Then update GPU-Z and everything you see will go away and GPU-Z won't ask for the upload anymore.

The GPU has a authentic bios installed or the GPU wouldn't work. The checksum makes sure of it.

Good Luck.

unplugged

I just checked the source, this happens when my driver can't allocate memory during startup for the driver name and the registry path, both less than 1 KB.

"ExAllocatePoolWithTag returns NULL if there is insufficient memory in the free pool to satisfy the request. Otherwise, the routine returns a pointer to the allocated memory."

I'm allocating from PagedPool

Is your disk full? Do you have a pagefile set? Does starting GPU-Z work right after a reboot with no additional apps started?

Do you use an antivirus that might block our driver somehow?

Can you run RamMap and show a screenshot of the 1st tab (Interested in the stats for "Paged Pool")
1722790162637.png

I have Kaspersky but I allowed GPU-Z manually, should I try after turning it off? I took the screenshot right after booting my pc and opening GPU-Z.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I have bought a used ASUS dual 3060Ti but I can't find anything about it's BIOS version. The version is 94.04.94.00.85, card is working around 80°C at load and 35-50°C idle and it's under warranty. What do you guys suggest?
View attachment 357459
Device ID 10DE 24C9 shows a RTX 3060 Ti, Subsystem ID 1043 Shows it is from Asus, 88AE shows it is the Dual Model PCB and cooler.

There is 2 files that match your bios version.

Update your gpu-z tool.

First File to Appear on TPU

2nd File to Appear on TPU

Go ahead and click the Black Arrow next to the UEFI checkbox and attempt to upload the file to the VGA Bios Collection/Database, you should get a prompt that the file is already in the VGA Collection/Database with a Link to it, copy and paste the link here. Not the file.

Unverified just means W1zzard T4CFantasy have not obtained the Asus Dual Card for testing, let alone have time to do an already old part.

Here are the rest of files that match your device id and subsystem ID.

Also please realise Asus Dual/Mining are bottom Tier cards, so their cooling will not be as good as an Asus TUF or Asus ROG.

unplugged

Device ID 10DE 24C9 shows a RTX 3060 Ti, Subsystem ID 1043 Shows it is from Asus, 88AE shows it is the Dual Model PCB and cooler.

There is 2 files that match your bios version.

Update your gpu-z tool.

First File to Appear on TPU

2nd File to Appear on TPU

Go ahead and click the Black Arrow next to the UEFI checkbox and attempt to upload the file to the VGA Bios Collection/Database, you should get a prompt that the file is already in the VGA Collection/Database with a Link to it, copy and paste the link here. Not the file.

Unverified just means W1zzard T4CFantasy have not obtained the Asus Dual Card for testing, let alone have time to do an already old part.

Here are the rest of files that match your device id and subsystem ID.

Also please realise Asus Dual/Mining are bottom Tier cards, so their cooling will not be as good as an Asus TUF or Asus ROG.
Thank you so much.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Thank you so much.
So you know I say you have no issue and the only time you should be worried is if you buy like a 1050ti from AliExpress, Alibaba, Temu, Tiktok, Facebook market as they tend to be fakes made from a GF106 chip...

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Tried it, nothing...
Is there anything that makes your system special? Did you manually tweak the registry/settings? Which CPU and Windows version?

unplugged

Is there anything that makes your system special? Did you manually tweak the registry/settings? Which CPU and Windows version?
No, haven't changed a single thing. I was able to open it thru furmark like a week ago but now I cannot.