• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Radiator Cooling Capacity

System Name Still not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x, Thermal Grizzly AM5 Offset Mounting Kit, Thermal Grizzly Extreme Paste
Motherboard ASRock B650 LiveMixer (BIOS/UEFI version P3.08, AGESA 1.2.0.2)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-5600 ECC Unbuffered Memory (2 sticks, 64GB, MTC20C2085S1EC56BD1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 4TB 980 PRO, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Commander Pro for Fans, RGB, & Temp Sensors (x4)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores RIP Ryzen 9 5950x, ASRock X570 Taichi (v1.06), 128GB Micron DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Makes no difference.

If you want something like this you go dual loops, not split loops.
Interesting I was thinking in a split loop as described you could be introducing an issue with heat dissipation not being balanced. For example if you have two rads that could dissipate 220 watts each for 440w total. If one component needed 100w to dissipate and the other needed 300w one rad would be overloaded and the unreleased heat would blend back into the loop for another round vs. in series the full 400w would have a chance to dissipate before going another round.

Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling AM3+ Wraith CPU cooler
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Software Linux Peppermint 10
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
There's an actual link to the vid I made showing it:
Evaporative Cooling Tower - YouTube
It was something I made because I was bored.
The final iteration was different but worked great once I changed a few things like the cooling fan for instance - Popped in a single 240CFM Delta 120mm and it was awesome!
loud but awesome.

Makes no difference.

Can actually lead to the more flow restricted segment not getting enough cooling in split.
That's possible if your pump can't move enough coolant by volume, has to have it in a sufficent amount to work properly but as long as you have enough flow it will work.
I'd done dual loops, split loops and other things too such as a bleeder line for my RAM sticks regulated by a ball valve. I adjust the flow to my sticks by using the valve to do this with, opened more for more flow and opened less for less flow.
I simply connect these in series too and have a return line to the res from them.

Makes no difference.

Can actually lead to the more flow restricted segment not getting enough cooling in split.
Having a set of rad in series can possibly (I stress possibly here) lead to less efficient cooling because in that case one rad will be warmer than the other all the time BUT, as long as the total amount of cooling you get is enough it's not a problem since that's something that cools down the water/coolant in stages.

The way my current benching setup is done I even have a separate PSU just for the cooling system itself so I can pre-cool things before I ever turn on the system itself and it's also handy for leak testing before power is even applied to the system.
Unplug the system PSU, run the coolant system PSU and that way you can check for leaks with no risk of shorting things out because of a leak.
Fix the leak, confirm it's fixed and just go from there.

Here is anotehr solid example by Supermicro, Dual CPU, and Quad GPU, with a single large radator, and dual 120 x 38 ran and single 335x 160 radiator. And the sound is no louder an applience.

This is were I am convfiened a single strong radator, wil do extreamly well.

1689466652088.png

1689466692095.png

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
What exactly are you going to be running CPU and GPU wise HBSound? I'm on my phone and cant see your gear right now.

The better rad, of those you've mentioned, is the HWL gtx but the EK is also solid just not as good. Alphacool rads are good but not great. Their new iteration of rads hardly made a blip in regards to improving temps compared to the originals.

Don't get too sidetracked by block decisions. As long as you go with a solid manufacturer and a block that's been released in the last couple of years the difference is generally a couple of degrees at best.

Im a bit sceptical. you intend to dump 1.6kW into the case and hope it doesn't accumulate. Also higher water temperature will ware down the pump. isn't i better to place the rad on top and guaratee the heat escapes immediately. i'd rather do a Cpu-Rad-Gpu-Rad-Pump-Rad with triple 280mm rads or even triple slim 140 than push pulls or anything like that. even better two rads with a fan between to hold them together.

What exactly are you going to be running CPU and GPU wise HBSound? I'm on my phone and cant see your gear right now.

The better rad, of those you've mentioned, is the HWL gtx but the EK is also solid just not as good. Alphacool rads are good but not great. Their new iteration of rads hardly made a blip in regards to improving temps compared to the originals.

Don't get too sidetracked by block decisions. As long as you go with a solid manufacturer and a block that's been released in the last couple of years the difference is generally a couple of degrees at best.
Thank you so much!

Right now I am doing my homework on the HWL items.

For cooling efforts, I have the AMD Threaripper Pro, PNY A6 GPU. Right now am planning as if I max out my system. So that as I expand in GPU or etc. I do not desire to touch the water cooling. I want to just insert whatever it is into my system and keep rolling. I prefer not to always have to change something here and there.

Im a bit sceptical. you intend to dump 1.6kW into the case and hope it doesn't accumulate. Also higher water temperature will ware down the pump. isn't i better to place the rad on top and guaratee the heat escapes immediately. i'd rather do a Cpu-Rad-Gpu-Rad-Pump-Rad with triple 280mm rads or even triple slim 140 than push pulls or anything like that. even better two rads with a fan between to hold them together.

The top of the case does not offer that kind of space for a large radiator and etc. If so, I am with you. Mount that joker to the top of the case and pull it all out. But in most cases, the space between the top of the case and the motherboard is extremely tight. Maybe 50-70mm worth of space. Unless the case is super high.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950x, Thermal Grizzly AM5 Offset Mounting Kit, Thermal Grizzly Extreme Paste
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-5600 ECC Unbuffered Memory (2 sticks, 64GB, MTC20C2085S1EC56BD1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 4TB 980 PRO, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Mouse Logitech M575
Benchmark Scores RIP Ryzen 9 5950x, ASRock X570 Taichi (v1.06), 128GB Micron DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Thank you so much!

For cooling efforts, I have the AMD Threaripper Pro, PNY A6 GPU. Right now am planning as if I max out my system. So that as I expand in GPU or etc. I do not desire to touch the water cooling. I want to just insert whatever it is into my system and keep rolling. I prefer not to always have to change something here and there.

The top of the case does not offer that kind of space for a large radiator and etc. If so, I am with you. Mount that joker to the top of the case and pull it all out. But in most cases, the space between the top of the case and the motherboard is extremely tight. Maybe 50-70mm worth of space. Unless the case is super high.
Perhaps just consider taking the rads external and use some quick disconnects so you can move it when needed.

Perhaps just consider taking the rads external and use some quick disconnects so you can move it when needed.
I did consider an external cooling system. But space for me is extremely limited. I mean extremely. Right now I have an classic old school tanker desk. Extreamly nice desk. I did consider having the single large drawer converted to a water cooler system for a PC to sit on the desk. But I will not have this desk that much longer. It would be an extreamly nice project. Take the motherboard, and processor and place into the smallest case I could find that will do at least a small rad on top just for some cooling. Place some quick disconnects on the back, and attach to the sustem. And IF I had to move the computer for some reaosn, there is atlest enough cooling to support a single CPU/CPU. It is still a nice thought to have! But space is limited.

1689480238161.png

1689480439080.png

Mouse Logitech M575
I did consider an external cooling system. But space for me is extremely limited. I mean extremely. Right now I have an classic old school tanker desk. Extreamly nice desk. I did consider having the single large drawer converted to a water cooler system for a PC to sit on the desk. But I will not have this desk that much longer. It would be an extreamly nice project. Take the motherboard, and processor and place into the smallest case I could find that will do at least a small rad on top just for some cooling. Place some quick disconnects on the back, and attach to the sustem. And IF I had to move the computer for some reaosn, there is atlest enough cooling to support a single CPU/CPU. It is still a nice thought to have! But space is limited.

View attachment 304996
View attachment 304999
Can you go vertical? Hang your rads off the ceiling or the wall?

System Name DadsBadAss
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Thank you so much!

Ok, so your looking at +/-600w to dissipate during heavy workloads with the 420. That's going to be a tough situation. Ideally, I would suggest 2x360 or 420+240 rads for that kind of rig. Particularly if your looking for consistent 8-1000rpm fan speeds. That's going to be the the hardest part of the equation. Trying to keep those two monsters cool (while underload) AND quiet. Once you start running heavy duty apps for long durations your going to see much higher fan speeds (usually very loud)with a single 420. If your case will accommodate another rad I would run two of the best rads you can fit in there. Otherwise the quiet part of your project isn't going to be feasible I'm afraid.

Ignore the rad companies max wattage numbers. Those numbers are based on having the fans running full bore. And they are market speak to boot, so not reliable. For your use case, you obviously need more surface area to dissipate the heat quickly and quietly.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
I would add an external radiator at the marked space.

_1689480238161.png

Ignore the rad companies max wattage numbers. Those numbers are based on having the fans running full bore. And they are market speak to boot, so not reliable. For your use case, you obviously need more surface area to dissipate the heat quickly and quietly.

Thank you so much! This makes a lot of sense. In the quest of planning out this system. I will definitely do this for sure.
Thank you so much! Your time is appreciated!

Can you go vertical? Hang your rads off the ceiling or the wall?
In the space I am in, I cant hand anything off the ceilings and walls.

What you need is one of those 44 x 42 x 5 cm. And ditch the top drawer. You need more space for the thing to breathe. it's not like a fridge that is built to operate in a very constrained space.
1689506310957.png

What you need is one of those 44 x 42 x 5 cm. And ditch the top drawer. You need more space for the thing to breathe. it's not like a fridge that is built to operate in a very constrained space.
View attachment 305037
I have looked these over far and wide. I promise you to have. My space is small and if I could place one of these verticals in my office next to my desk with the proper fans. It would be nice, but I can't. And I am moving into a smaller space. The only thing that one could consider, is my next home. Find a dedicated server space, and closet for a few items. And place something like this in there and pipe over the coolant to the computer on quick disconnects. That would allow me to get the maximum cooling, and remove the noise and heat from my space.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
To give an impression including fans...

IMG_20230716_133937.jpg

IMG_20230716_134258.jpg

To give an impression including fans...

I love the whole idea of this, I really do!

Just how loud is it? In my head, If I did something like this. I would do a push and pull so that I can also help ramp down the fans just a little too. And make sure I get every piece cooling out of the radiator.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) MAG401QR
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
HAF XB with 1080 rad for the lid ftw.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) MAG401QR
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
I love the whole idea of this, I really do!

Just how loud is it? ...
It is quite quiet. The fans are spinning low (500rpm). Why should they go faster? At all it is really relaxed.

System Name DadsBadAss
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win11pro
In your situation externally mounting a mora is a great idea. You no longer have to worry about the front rads heat dump or secondary sources heating up the case internals (like the mb vrms or any add on cards you may be installing). You can then focus entirely on creating the best airflow through your case to keep the mb, SSDs, HDDs and memory cool. Can you mount one on the side or back of your desk? For your rig a mora really would be ideal.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Snow White
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend
Cooling Custom Water 1x420
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Tt CTE 600 Snow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Corsair K65 Mini
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Avermedia Live HD2
The Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm radiator. I am not sure if this will work or have enough capacity.
^^ This will be more than plenty. Pair it with a MINIMUM 1.8 mm-H2O static pressure fans and you will be good to go.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64