• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Portal with RTX

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why talk in absolutes when it's a moving target that can vary and improve? "it'll never be better", how can you possibly know that? I've already given an example of a 1440P and a situation where a game upscaled from lower than the native resolution can looks better. You can choose not to believe me, but it doesn't make you right or make me wrong. Same as supersampling giving better results, proven.
An upscaled image from a lower resolution cannot look better than the original. Supersampling is different, because it downscales a higher resolution image.

At this point it's fact that in at least one game/condition/scenario an upscaled from sub 1440p image has exceeded native 1440p image quality, then your 'period' statement is disproven factually, and facts aren't bothered with how you feel about them.
Show me an image comparison where the upscaled image looks better than the native one. I haven't seen one.

I also feel like the goalposts are shifting here... so lets bring it back, you think upscaling is counter intuitive, I disagree and have provided evidence as to why it's not, accept it... don't.... I don't really mind, but please allow in your mind the room to believe that your bias and predisposition based on your experience doesn't accurately show the side of the coin that I am presenting. You can absolutely die on the hill of never using upscaling, but don't tell me what image quality concessions I'm making on my setup, just because you don't seem to want to accept what I'm telling you.
Sure, you buy what makes you happy, and so do I. :) If you're happy with 4K + DLSS because it looks better than 1440p native, that's fine.

As for me, I'm happy with my 1080p monitor, and I don't feel like the money thrown into a new one would be justified if I had to resort to upscaling techniques to get decent framerates. Would my experience be marginally better with 1440p or 4K + DLSS/FSR? Maybe. But I don't want to spend hundreds of GBP for a potentially marginally better experience.

If someone tell me they stay with 1080p because they want 60FPS Ultra settings no RT I would think they are crazy :D, no point explaining anything to these people.
I don't mind RT if my hardware can run it. It really does look good. I'm all for improvement, visual or otherwise. :)

It's only that I don't see the point in enabling one feature to improve visuals if I then have to enable other features that weaken them.

Is pretty much a tech demo, take it for what it is. A free mod to a 15 year old game that pushes visual techniques to the absolute limit. One can also choose to not be outraged by it, like so many preceding tech demo's wether they call themselves that or not.
A tech demo that has only one purpose: to shame AMD for not being able to run code that only runs on Nvidia for some reason. Other than that, I agree. There's no reason for outrage as long as we have the classic Portal. :)

Silly AMD, happily following in Nvidia's footsteps, good thing they have Lisa Su!
How are they following Nvidia exactly? With the $999 7900 XTX that follows the $999 6900 XT?

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
At which point do you give up?

2020, RTX 3080 - $700
2022, RTX 4080 - $1200 <- WE ARE HERE
2024, RTX 5080 - $2040
2026, RTX 6080 - $3468
2028, RTX 7080 - $5896
2030, RTX 8080 - $10022
2032, RTX 9080 - $17038
2034, GTX 1080 - $28965

It didn't use to work like that. Or right now we would still have an GeForce 256 from 1999 for $250 (plus inflation, I guess, so $447). Adding all the generations of progress and price increase equally since then will get you flagships into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Silly Nvidia, to give up on all that profit, good thing they have Jensen!
:confused: :confused: :confused: Did you buy Nvidia's Titan Z when it was $3000? Did you buy the ATi's 295x2 at $1500 eight years ago? C'mon man...the 80 series price right now is because of their overstock of left over 30 series (if the rumors are correct). You're focused on price while I'm focused on the tech. It is graphical progression no matter now you look at it. I bet you would agree if Portal RTX was 60 fps on a $300 GPU. What I've seen from Witcher 3 remake, Portal, and Fortnite has me as a believer. I too thought RT was some BS when I bought my 6900XT...a year and some change later, I've seen the light (pun intended).

For some reason people got used to overpriced cards during the mining crazy in a way they consider it new normal. How crazy is that? It is hard to explain this phenomena to be honest.

I think there are many different reasons.

Some people are really dedicated - and don't have a problem to spend a $1200 for two - four years of high end gaming where previously would have spent 700 - 800. That's like 8 - 16 dollars more per month of gaming? Really worth moaning about? That's like one beer in a developed world, and two - four hours of work elsewhere.

Some people even like the exclusivity of high end PC Master Race - why would every peasant be able to afford entrance in their elite club? And it is elite, Steam Survey shows less than 2% of users buying RTX 3080 in two years, even now with all the cheap used mining cards available. Even if you exclude integrated GPUs and look only at dedicated gaming cards, there's way more lower end than expensive cards.

Some people can't or won't buy a dedicated gaming card - due to financial, time, health, religious reasons, spouses won't let them - why would they sympathize with people that moan they have to pay too much now for their hobby? There's a lot of Schadenfreude every time such things happen.

And reviewers of course know what's the hand that feeds them. Although they claim they didn't get any pressure from a company to paint them in a nicest light possible, even when they spread bullshit (like saying RTX 3080 MSRP is fake and we should look at scalper prices at the height of crypto as a reference in RTX 4080 review, although the card is available way cheaper). Some reviewers tried to go against that - HardOCP, Anandtech, and quickly regretted it.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
An upscaled image from a lower resolution cannot look better than the original. Supersampling is different, because it downscales a higher resolution image.
Thanks for underlining those words, I might have risked not understanding you. I stand by what I said, Upscaling is capable of this.
Show me an image comparison where the upscaled image looks better than the native one. I haven't seen one.
Because you've not seen it doesn't make it not true, but if I find the time I'll be happy to.
A tech demo that has only one purpose: to shame AMD for not being able to run code that only runs on Nvidia for some reason. Other than that, I agree. There's no reason for outrage as long as we have the classic Portal. :)
Not everything is about AMD, I think they also shamed their old RTX cards, this mod leverage the best new parts of the Ada arch, and AMD being shamed is a reflection of how little they poured into RDNA2's RT capability.
How are they following Nvidia exactly? With the $999 7900 XTX that follows the $999 6900 XT?
Nope, the 7900XT that is further from the 7900XTX than the 6800XT was from the 6900XT, and massively hiking up that price relatively, and other reasons you've heard me say. All to happy to be greedy themselves, and luckily for them as long as they stay slightly less greedy than Nvidia, their volunteer marketing department fans will rush to their defence. Far from saints but hey, what they're doing seems to be working.

Processor Intel Core i7-5960X
Motherboard MSI X99S SLI PLUS
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 TI 8GB
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 240GB + HDD
Display(s) Benq GL2480 24" 1080p 75 Hz
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 520W
Mouse Logitech G400
Software Windows 10 LTSC
Man, the things I'm reading... :lovetpu:

Sure, you buy what makes you happy, and so do I. :) If you're happy with 4K + DLSS because it looks better than 1440p native, that's fine.

As for me, I'm happy with my 1080p monitor, and I don't feel like the money thrown into a new one would be justified if I had to resort to upscaling techniques to get decent framerates. Would my experience be marginally better with 1440p or 4K + DLSS/FSR? Maybe. But I don't want to spend hundreds of GBP for a potentially marginally better experience.

I don't mind RT if my hardware can run it. It really does look good. I'm all for improvement, visual or otherwise. :)
It's only that I don't see the point in enabling one feature to improve visuals if I then have to enable other features that weaken them.

Try playing MS Flight Simulator higher than 1080p and see if DLSS comes in handy. In which game you stay still and watch a static frame for more than a second? Hearts of Iron?
RT and DLSS are options. Nobody is forcing the player to use them or to buy a gpu that can use them.
You play at 1080p because you can't afford the high end gear, not because is better looking. That's fine, I can't either for now.

Ray Tracing was introduced by NVIDIA in the consumer market only recently. It's still a young technology, despite what we can think. Cuda took years to get the level of optimization and support that it has now. But innovation is a matter of trial and error: you have to test the technology to be able to see what's good and what not and improve it. The customers play also the role of testers for the companies that produce hardware and software, because in their laboratories the engineers can't replicate the number of hardware combinations that there are in real life.
Damn, the planes that fly over our heads nowadays were engineered 30 years ago, introduced as prototypes 10 years later and approved for production 5-10 years later that. Be patient. In ten years from now RT will be a killer feature and will run well even on mobile phones. ;)

The Portal remix thing is pure conspiracy theory. :D
And like I said before in another comment: why NVIDIA should give a fukk about AMD performance with that mod? They are competitors.
What you really see there is that NVIDIA invested resources to make the Remix Modding tool, while AMD didn't even think about doing something like that.
There stays the difference between the two companies nowadays: the green one keeps innovating, the red one simply doesn't care.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Because you've not seen it doesn't make it not true, but if I find the time I'll be happy to.
I fail to understand how a picture made from fewer pixels upscaled by some mathematical algorithm can be better than one that has more pixels to begin with. If you can show me, I'm happy to take a look.

Not everything is about AMD, I think they also shamed their old RTX cards, this mod leverage the best new parts of the Ada arch, and AMD being shamed is a reflection of how little they poured into RDNA2's RT capability.
Fair enough - I guess people need some convincing to cough up some serious cash for an architecture that looks strikingly similar to the previous one on paper.

Nope, the 7900XT that is further from the 7900XTX than the 6800XT was from the 6900XT, and massively hiking up that price relatively, and other reasons you've heard me say. All to happy to be greedy themselves, and luckily for them as long as they stay slightly less greedy than Nvidia, their volunteer marketing department fans will rush to their defence. Far from saints but hey, what they're doing seems to be working.
A good point. I tend to overlook GPUs with disabled shaders. Clearly an error on my part. :ohwell:

How far it really is, we'll see in the reviews, but I won't be surprised if the XTX ends up being way more popular, forcing AMD to lower the XT's price later.

Try playing MS Flight Simulator higher than 1080p and see if DLSS comes in handy. In which game you stay still and watch a static frame for more than a second? Hearts of Iron?
RT and DLSS are options. Nobody is forcing the player to use them or to buy a gpu that can use them.
You play at 1080p because you can't afford the high end gear, not because is better looking. That's fine, I can't either for now.
It's not that I can't afford it - more like a case of diminishing returns. If I enjoy gaming on my current setup, then why should I spend hundreds, or maybe thousands of GBP to do the same at a higher resolution? I could do that, I just won't. I know that it's better, but not that much better to call it worth my investment. I can spend that money on an extra vacation per year, or some more, interesting tech to play with.

Ray Tracing was introduced by NVIDIA in the consumer market only recently. It's still a young technology, despite what we can think. Cuda took years to get the level of optimization and support that it has now. But innovation is a matter of trial and error: you have to test the technology to be able to see what's good and what not and improve it. The customers play also the role of testers for the companies that produce hardware and software, because in their laboratories the engineers can't replicate the number of hardware combinations that there are in real life.
Damn, the planes that fly over our heads nowadays were engineered 30 years ago, introduced as prototypes 10 years later and approved for production 5-10 years later that. Be patient. In ten years from now RT will be a killer feature and will run well even on mobile phones. ;)
I don't doubt that. ;) I'm not anti-RT by any means. I like the progress in gaming technology, and if I can enable all the eye-candy in every game, I definitely will. That's part of the reason why I'm still on 1080p. If I have to choose between RT and super high resolutions, I choose RT. But if my game runs at 5 FPS with RT on, then I won't. Simple. :)

And like I said before in another comment: why NVIDIA should give a fukk about AMD performance with that mod? They are competitors.
What you really see there is that NVIDIA invested resources to make the Remix Modding tool, while AMD didn't even think about doing something like that.
There stays the difference between the two companies nowadays: the green one keeps innovating, the red one simply doesn't care.
"Doesn't care" is an overstatement. Nvidia is a much bigger company with much more money and resources, so naturally, they can afford to make something like this. AMD can't.

System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
two whole screenshots "amazing raytracing"
-_-

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
For some reason people got used to overpriced cards during the mining crazy in a way they consider it new normal.
People bought overpriced cards during the mining craze because if they mined the cards wouldn't be overpriced, they'd be turning a profit after 6 months.

Some have missed the memo about graphics cards not turning a profit anymore. Most of all, Nvidia and AMD got way too comfortable with the gigantic ASP and profit margins they were getting during the mining craze, and trying to explain their investors that the golden goose is gone is a very complicated thing.
Hence the absurd prices, artificially induced scarceness of previous gen products, etc. all to try to keep living the lie as long as they possibly can.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I think there are many different reasons.

Some people are really dedicated - and don't have a problem to spend a $1200 for two - four years of high end gaming where previously would have spent 700 - 800. That's like 8 - 16 dollars more per month of gaming? Really worth moaning about? That's like one beer in a developed world, and two - four hours of work elsewhere.

Some people even like the exclusivity of high end PC Master Race - why would every peasant be able to afford entrance in their elite club? And it is elite, Steam Survey shows less than 2% of users buying RTX 3080 in two years, even now with all the cheap used mining cards available. Even if you exclude integrated GPUs and look only at dedicated gaming cards, there's way more lower end than expensive cards.

Some people can't or won't buy a dedicated gaming card - due to financial, time, health, religious reasons, spouses won't let them - why would they sympathize with people that moan they have to pay too much now for their hobby? There's a lot of Schadenfreude every time such things happen.

And reviewers of course know what's the hand that feeds them. Although they claim they didn't get any pressure from a company to paint them in a nicest light possible, even when they spread bullshit (like saying RTX 3080 MSRP is fake and we should look at scalper prices at the height of crypto as a reference in RTX 4080 review, although the card is available way cheaper). Some reviewers tried to go against that - HardOCP, Anandtech, and quickly regretted it.
I paid $1500 for my Radeon 6900xt but i had no choice. I never said the price is ok or anything. I cursed everything possible but I had no choice. I had to buy it for whatever reason. I can afford buying any card I want but that does not change the fact the price for those is way too high anyway. The argument, 'i can afford it' does not change the fact something is overpriced. These cards are extremely overpriced. It is not so hard to understand that to be honest. Also, justifying high price with higher node prices is also not correct since the 4080 is small in comparison to 3090 ti (which people do for some reason) 4080 is almost half the size of a 3090 ti. The high price is because NV wants the margins from crypto mining and covid to stay but that does not mean you or I or anyone else should like it and clap hands with joy.

In ten years from now RT will be a killer feature and will run well even on mobile phones.
Sure it will be in 10 years. Problem is you pay ransom for those cards today and in 10 years, the 4090 performance you pay $2k will be a slide show. (some instances it is a slide show now considering play-ability standard). With the tendency to increase the price for cards like 4080 $1200 now every year, within 10 years of time, the card will cost $5k just for you to play a game. On top of that, the game you may be playing, may not have Ray Tracing whatsoever. It is developers choice if it is there. Maybe it will get more common to have RT or maybe not.

Last edited:
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Man, the things I'm reading... :lovetpu:

Some members here are just anti-tech (in a tech forum :rolleyes:) when it put AMD in a bad light, kinda short-sighted IMO, when these same members could benefit from these new-born technologies in the near future (just like DLSS)

Just like I can't afford EV now in my third world country, but I certainly hope EV technologies become better/more affordable/eco friendly in the future, and the only way to achieve that is that EV becoming more widespread (but not outright replace ICE though).

I paid $1500 for my Radeon 6900xt but i had no choice. I never said the price is ok or anything. I cursed everything possible but I had no choice. I had to buy it for whatever reason. I can afford buying any card I want but that does not change the fact the price for those is way too high anyway. The argument, 'i can afford it' does not change the fact something is overpriced. These cards are extremely overpriced. It is not so hard to understand that to be honest. Also, justifying high price with higher node prices is also not correct since the 4080 is small in comparison to 3090 ti (which people do for some reason) 4080 is almost half the size of a 3090 ti. The high price is because NV wants the margins from crypto mining and covid to stay but that does not mean you or I or anyone else should like it and clap hands with joy.

Sure it will be in 10 years. Problem is you pay ransom for those cards today and in 10 years, the 4090 performance you pay $2k will be a slide show. (some instances it is a slide show now considering play-ability standard). With the tendency to increase the price for cards like 4080 $1200 now every year, within 10 years of time, the card will cost $5k just for you to play a game. On top of that, the game you may be playing, may not have Ray Tracing whatsoever. It is developers choice if it is there. Maybe it will get more common to have RT or maybe not.

So you HAD to pay 1500usd for the 6900XT, but when others pay roughly the same money for 4080 they are stupid? that's some cognitive dissonance. Do you also expect food prices to come down because we have industrial farming? or electric price to come down because we have so many means to generate electricity compare to 100 years ago?

I'm 100% sure your 6900XT will be a slideshow @ 1440p Ultra in 10 years, with or without RT. No worry though, even the 7900XTXHHHXTX will be a slideshow in 10 years :)

Last edited:
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
So you HAD to pay 1500usd for the 6900XT, but when others pay roughly the same money for 4080 they are stupid? that's some cognitive dissonance. Do you also expect food prices to come down because we have industrial farming? or electric price to come down because we have so many means to generate electricity compare to 100 years ago?

I'm 100% sure your 6900XT will be a slideshow @ 1440p Ultra in 10 years, with or without RT.
If you feel stupid for buying a 4090 or 4080 that's on you. I'm not going to explain this for you with your snappy comebacks that literally make no sense every time somebody says the prices for NV GPUs are high which seems you cannot understand. School. maybe you should go back there and start from scratch?
Yeah I had to because prices were bad due to shortages, scalpers, covid, lockdowns etc. You have very poor comprehension skill but that is nothing new. I guess you just don't want to understand the difference we have now and 2 years back. NV wants the prices to stay like they were during covid and mining or has that info slipped through your fingers too?

Last edited:
At which point do you give up?

2020, RTX 3080 - $700
2022, RTX 4080 - $1200 <- WE ARE HERE
2024, RTX 5080 - $2040
2026, RTX 6080 - $3468
2028, RTX 7080 - $5896
2030, RTX 8080 - $10022
2032, RTX 9080 - $17038
2034, GTX 1080 - $28965

It didn't use to work like that. Or right now we would still have an GeForce 256 from 1999 for $250 (plus inflation, I guess, so $447). Adding all the generations of progress and price increase equally since then will get you flagships into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Silly Nvidia, to give up on all that profit, good thing they have Jensen!
For reference the gtx 8800 ultra was $850 15 years ago and gtx 690 was $1000 10 years ago and 2080ti launched at $999 4 years ago with a kingpin model as much as $1900. FYI.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Some members here are just anti-tech (in a tech forum :rolleyes:) when it put AMD in a bad light, kinda short-sighted IMO, when these same members could benefit from these new-born technologies in the near future (just like DLSS)
If you mean me (the comment you replied to was a reply to mine), then I have to laugh my ass off. :laugh: I have 4 fully working PCs, two laptops, lots of PC components laying around, an Intel compute stick and two PlayStation 2 consoles. (Edit: oh, and a PSP.) That's literally a whole room full of computers and computer parts, plus the small HTPCs in the bedroom and living room. And I'm anti-tech because I prefer not to use DLSS/FSR if I can avoid it. Lol! This made my day. :roll:

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I can afford buying any card I want but that does not change the fact the price for those is way too high anyway. The argument, 'i can afford it' does not change the fact something is overpriced. These cards are extremely overpriced.

That's the thing that so many seem to not understand. Affording it has nothing to do with the decision to not buy for many of us. I can certainly afford to buy any card. Dozens of them in fact and have no concern about the money but I won't buy a 4080 or 4090 because I simply won't willingly choose to be ripped off. The cards are way overpriced for no other reason than greed by Nvidia. Mining, scalpers and shortcomings due to Covid aren't an issue anymore.

It's all academic for me anyway. I don't need either card to play games from the 90s to mid 2000s which I missed playing during the day and I am finding that enjoyable for a while now.

Nvidia is already beginning to feel the backlash to the ridiculously overpriced GPUs. Hence the 5% price reduction. If people still won't allow themselves to be ripped off then further reductions will come. I consider $800 for a 4080 to be the price that I would pay without feeling like a fool but even that is high.

For reference the gtx 8800 ultra was $850 15 years ago and gtx 690 was 1$000 10 years ago and 2080ti launched at $999 4 years ago with a kingpin model as much as $1900. FYI.

Those cards were flagship high end GPUs and the Kingpin doesn't have anything to do with regular cards. When the 4090 Ti comes out we will take another look at that for a fair comparison and you will see the rip off very clearly.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
That's the thing that so many seem to not understand. Affording it has nothing to do with the decision to not buy for many of us. I can certainly afford to buy any card. Dozens of them in fact and have no concern about the money but I won't buy a 4080 or 4090 because I simply won't willingly choose to be ripped off. The cards are way overpriced for no other reason than greed by Nvidia. Mining, scalpers and shortcomings due to Covid aren't an issue anymore.

It's all academic for me anyway. I don't need either card to play games from the 90s to mid 2000s which I missed playing during the day and I am finding that enjoyable for a while now.

Nvidia is already beginning to feel the backlash to the ridiculously overpriced GPUs. Hence the 5% price reduction. If people still won't allow themselves to be ripped off then further reductions will come. I consider $800 for a 4080 to be the price that I would pay without feeling like a fool but even that is high.
To be fair, I don't mind if people want to buy a card for that much and they would say I bought it and yeah cause i want it i know the price is high but I dont care. Fine. I'm OK with that That's not the case here. What I'm totally disgusted by is people buy it at the high price which it is fucking high no doubt about it and say that it is a good price because they can afford it. That's the justification for the price being right? I mean, don't know about you but there is seriously something wrong with these people if you ask me. Another argument goes for 2 years ago during mining craze cards cost the same or slight lower. WTF to that sort of reasoning. mind boggling literally when I talk or read what these people say. freaking madness.

Im sure the price will drop. Like you said. the backlash is there and the price will drop. 5% is an insult but maybe NV is testing the market for a price without dropping to much. greed always wins though. I think the 5% is a start but it will go down more. $800 could be OK considering what's been going on lately but I agree, it is a bit high. Anyway, I would not feel like a fool buying it. maybe slight distaste though.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11

Quite understandable, no one is forcing anyone to buy overpriced hardware anywhere on earth :). Voting with your wallet has been the de facto way for customers to voice their opinions to manufacturers, but it get tiring listening to all the crying in a tech forum when the majority vote go against someone's wishes :rolleyes:.

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
So um, Portal with RTX gets released today in approx 4hrs according to Steam.

Is this the right thread? :rolleyes::laugh:

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
A bit late to the party. I think the updated game does look nice, but so much of that is simply modernizing the textures. All in all, it's a bit puzzling to me that NVIDIA created an RTX demo that takes a really old game and barely clears the 60FPS mark in 4K on a very expensive GPU. I first played Portal on a single core CPU with an AGP card--the base of the game is not that complex. Now let's see Portal 2 with it's large rooms and more complex physics moments (like the opening scene), and see how it does. Like others have said, what this really demos to me is that even today's $1600 card doesn't have enough resources (VRAM?!) for the future, as modern, complex, full-RT games are just going to be too much for it. How big of a GPU are we going to need, and how much power? Now, the demanding users who are willing to open their wallets expect more than 1080P gaming, it seems like full-RT gaming is always going to be a "wait till next generation" proposition. And, as always, game consoles set the benchmark for minimum thresholds of game designs, and they can't do full RT--not even close. Only NVIDIA is going to launch (relaunch) old titles to showcase a "full RTX" experience.

They actually changed the textures in the RTX version to include much higher quality ones! So that is the biggest difference I can notice, and it has nothing to do with RTX. If anything with RTX on everything seems super bright even when there is no light source, killing the mood of the game!

All Nvidia does is market some new BS every several years and move the goal posts to what is the "new standard" and all of the brainwashed sheep follow suit and repeat the BS! First it was physix, then it was memory compression because they had 2GB cards ver AMD's 4GB, but muh "memory compression". Don't buy a 4GB card, buy our crappy 1.5GB because "muh memory compression". People fell for the BS!

Then they were slightly better at watt per performance so that became the new BS, hey muh GTX 960 consumes 20W less than the much faster and cheaper 7870, etc... Wattage is teh best thinga maging eva!!!!!

Then AMD caught up with wattage and performance and were much cheaper on top of it, so they made "RTX" the new BS king! Doesn't matter that their 2000 series couldn't process more than like 100 rays without crashing the GPU, it was a successful gimmick to turn away people from the much better RX 5000 series.

That wasn't enough as enough people saw their Ngreedia's BS, so they released DLSS, another gimmick that reduced resolution, reduced image quality, for a 30% faster framerate, something which anyone can do by themselves in the game settings under a thing called "resolution". Everyone could drop down resolution and gain anywhere from 20% to 50% better framerate!

Its been gimmicks, after gimmicks after gimmicks for a decade with Nvidia! Moving goalposts, moving targets, just so they can make insanely expensive GPU's that people under brainwashing would buy!

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Here is a comparison video that was recently released.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Certainly looking forward to another playthrough after all these years.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
As for DLSS/FSR/XeSS, I don't care about such technologies, especially not when we're talking about top-end graphics cards. Adding RT to make the game look better, then adding some upscaling to make it look worse doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, it's helpful on a lower-end card, like a 3050, but why it's a selling point on the 40-series is beyond me.
It's a selling point on high end cards because making games look substantially better at 4k/high refresh rate with the current pace of tech improvement just won't happen without software trickery. (And you can also forget about Ray tracing/path tracing at native res)

The internet complains a lots about software tricks, but they probably wouldn't be happy with the implication of a native 4k gaming GPU, especially with ray tracing. TSMC isn't going to reduce wafer price to appease gamers, and the first consumer MCM GPU used the tech to reduce cost over trying to go beyond the limits of what a monolithic gpu can offer. And even then, we still ended up with a 999€ GPU that seems good for 4k, but all the numbers showed are from games still meant to run on the ps4/xbone.

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
So I'm going to be playing through Portal again for the first time in years but noticed in the Steam discussions that they have a competition thread where you can win a 40 series GPU. You just have to comment or share your favourite Portal memory to be entered. I went overboard, I'm such an idiot :laugh:

Ode to Portal with RTX

In 2007 came a shiny new game
A puzzle platformer, 'Portal' its name
Innovative, quirky, hours of fun
Springy girl Chell armed with 1 portal gun

GLaDOS the AI, an intelligent dame,
Scheming and planning her deadly endgame.
A master tactician, intelligence to spare
Leaving her victim in a state of despair.

Aperture Science the scene of the crime,
19 test chambers, it sure takes some time.
A promise of cake used to sweeten the deal.
The cake was a lie? No really, it's real.

But Chell was triumphant, the winner of the bout
Speedy thing went in, speedy thing came out
She rocked poor GLaDOS right down to her cores,
but the evil AI, she still wanted more...

So in Twenty Twenty Two, here we all go again
With RTX on, to reflect on the pane
Its prettier,shinier and headfirst we'll dive,
Because after all, GLaDOS is 'Still Alive'

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's a selling point on high end cards because making games look substantially better at 4k/high refresh rate with the current pace of tech improvement just won't happen without software trickery. (And you can also forget about Ray tracing/path tracing at native res)

The internet complains a lots about software tricks, but they probably wouldn't be happy with the implication of a native 4k gaming GPU, especially with ray tracing. TSMC isn't going to reduce wafer price to appease gamers, and the first consumer MCM GPU used the tech to reduce cost over trying to go beyond the limits of what a monolithic gpu can offer. And even then, we still ended up with a 999€ GPU that seems good for 4k, but all the numbers showed are from games still meant to run on the ps4/xbone.
Ah, so gamers want 4K and high refresh rate and RT... no wonder that Nvidia is greedy with their prices when their buyers are just as greedy with their expectations of what a GPU should do.

Quite understandable, no one is forcing anyone to buy overpriced hardware anywhere on earth :). Voting with your wallet has been the de facto way for customers to voice their opinions to manufacturers, but it get tiring listening to all the crying in a tech forum when the majority vote go against someone's wishes :rolleyes:.
It's equally tiring to listen to people saying "I just bought my GeForce 999900 RTGTX Super XL Pro for half a million bucks and that makes me so much better than all those dirty peasants who don't have money to run Portal RT at 8K!" ;)