• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3080 power supply requirements - 850W?

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
Do not have a serial port to use the software for it though. However, I'm down for upgrading soon anyway and this baby looks beautiful. :)

I have that CyberPower UPS, it is quite nice. As Bill_Bright mentioned, it does show a real time power consumption level of all devices plugged into it on the front screen. When connected by USB, the software offers many utilities and monitoring tools. I would suggest watching BB for a sale. Most of the time they are more expensive than the major online e-tailers, but every once in a while they have a sale on them that is considerably cheaper than online (this is how I bought mine).

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I would suggest watching BB for a sale.
I agree with this. BB (BestBuy) is not normally my first choice, but they do occasionally have some good sales. But of course, BB is only located in the US, Canada and Mexico.

I bought my last APC 1500VA UPS at Sam's. It was cheaper than Amazon. :)

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Most users would be surprised how little the power demands of their computers actually are. It is important to understand power supplies demand from the wall what they need to support the connected devices. So if the computer (CPU, GPU, motherboard, fans, drives, RAM) need 250W, the power supply will only deliver 250W and will only pull from the wall 250W, plus a little extra to compensate for the PSUs inefficiencies. That is regardless if the PSU is a 450W PSU, or a 850W PSU.

As for going by the UPS, I cannot speak for wolf, but in my case, not only is my UPS supporting this computer, it is also supporting my modem, wireless router, a 4-port Ethernet switch, and "two" 24 inch monitors. And as I type this, the demands for all those components total just 123W.
Indeed the requirements are lower than most would think.

And spot on, mine powers everything on the table so I had to unplug a few things to get a good idea of what the monitor etc pulls. Typically I'd say the gaming box when fully stressed uses 300-375w in its current state and without the tuning I've done 350-425w.

Im lucky enough to have a separate ups power just the modem/router, so I could be online gaming late at night during a thunderstorm and if the power went out I'd have a comfortable amount of time to finish my game (and probably a few more) and the Wi-Fi stays on for aaaages.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah, if I lose power, if I quickly power off my computer and monitors, and just leave running my network gear connected to my APC 1500VA UPS, my network will stay alive for at least 5 hours. I can then still access the Internet and communicate with the outside world with my wireless devices (notebook, cell phone, etc.).

Hi all guys.

I bought and installed my new Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision OC replacing my old Asus gtx1080 and sometimes (not always) when I start playing a thirsty game like Black OPS Cold War, RDR2, or Valhalla, the computer restarts automatically.

I made some stress test (3D mark etc.) and nothing happen, everything seems to be fine.

I have a PSU from EVGA mODEL EVGA Supernova G3 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular .

I let here some screenshots to see the rest of my pc components.

It's strange because sometimes I can play for hours and nothing happen.

:/

Hope you can help me...

Thanks a lot
SC1.JPG
SC2.JPG

I ain't an expert (by any means), but I seriously doubt your problem is due to your ps.

I've actually read elsewhere that you wouldn't be able to boot, if the ps was indeed causing this behavior.

You'd need to release a switch or something. Again, I ain't a guru in this field lol.

D

Deleted member 193596

highly depends.
a bequiet system power 750W can't handle a 3090/10900k
a bequiet dark power pro 11 platinum 650W can handle a 3090/10900k.

i have a 3080 TUF OC and it isn't a problem with my dark power pro 11 750W

even my 3090 Gaming X Trio (380W) and my 10850k running at 1.4V (around 200W when loading a Game... :D) to reach 5.1 Ghz all Core works like a charm with it.

buy a high end PSU and you'll be fine. (i'd mostly recommend a high tier PSU for every single PC that does not is a ryzen 3 1200, gt 1030 build.)

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
@GeeBee @WarTherapy1195

Thanks for your reply guys.
I just ordered a Corsair HX1000, would it be fine with this or do you recommend any other one?

Thanks a lot
I would hold off the ordering of a new PSU if you aren't sure if the PSU is really the cause of the problem. Try using some other PSU first borrowing from whoever you could borrow or bring it to a repair shop for testing.

How old is your EVGA anyway? Apperently, the age does matter as efficiency drops after many years.

@Rei thanks for the advise and the reply.
Unfortunately I don’t have the opportunity to borrow a PSU but in this store in Spain I can refund with no problem just in that case.
I have read many threads (also in official EVGA) and my PSu is one of these ones which struggles with the new 3080...

hopefully the new one solves the issue

Yeah, if I lose power, if I quickly power off my computer and monitors, and just leave running my network gear connected to my APC 1500VA UPS, my network will stay alive for at least 5 hours. I can then still access the Internet and communicate with the outside world with my wireless devices (notebook, cell phone, etc.).

When power goes out, I typically launch the Power Panel and minimize ... I can easily run AutoCAD or play my circa 2004 MMO for 20 - 30 minutes or more which covers most outages. When I see remaining run time drop down to a level of concern, I'll power down . Looking at the outage frequency... we have had 4 instances momentary outages < 2 -3 minutes and 3 outages of 20 - 30 minutes. It powers the PC, one screen, modem, router, and MicroCell with load ranging from 195 - 218 watts. One of the 4 short ones, later found out, was a series or maintenance related disconnects where they were replacing lines resulting in a series of short interruptions throughout the day. We had a project due by close of business so luckily, was able to complete the drawing revisions during a 9 hour CAD session w/o having to shut down, and was able to send out copies to contractor on time.

Our situation is a bit different than yours, tho we have poor cell service indoors due to being out in the boonies on a large heavily wooded lot as well as foil faced insulation in walls , hence the Microcell, ... phones and lappies can get a signal by walking about 50 feet up the driveway or sitting next to a south facing window.

@GeeBee @WarTherapy1195

Thanks for your reply guys.
I just ordered a Corsair HX1000, would it be fine with this or do you recommend any other one?

Thanks a lot

The original semi modular HX1000 has long been discontinued so thast one I'd avoid; the full modular unit is still in production. That being said, Id much rather have a Seasonic Focus Gold Plus ... prices in spain range from €104.24 for a 650 to €110.48 for a 750.

"Here is our power supply recommendation:
  • GeForce RTX 3070 - On your average system we recommend a 550 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce RTX 3080 - On your average system we recommend a 650 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce RTX 3090 - On your average system we recommend a 750 Watt power supply unit.
If you are going to overclock your GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. "

Last edited:

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
@Rei thanks for the advise and the reply.
Unfortunately I don’t have the opportunity to borrow a PSU but in this store in Spain I can refund with no problem just in that case.
I have read many threads (also in official EVGA) and my PSu is one of these ones which struggles with the new 3080...

hopefully the new one solves the issue
Then most likely, your PSU might have electrical performance-compatibility issue with RTX 3080 rather than your PSU not supplying enough power to your system as an 850 Watt with Gold rating should normally be capable of handling an average spec rig.
@John Naylor I just bought 3 days ago from this web of Spain https://www.coolmod.com/corsair-hx1...fuente-psu-precio?virtuemart_category_id=1495

I see now is out of stock, I think it is full modular HX1000.

Is not a good choice?

Thanks
It is a good choice but a bit overkill for it's price for your system. Also being discontinued means that you won't get full support for your PSU from EVGA & possibly no warranty either.

Some of the EVGA supernova models go supernova with the 3080... everyone has issues with those, their overcurrent protections kick in and reboot the system. see the reviews here, and this, and you will find more if you look. "After instillation, I powered on the computer and there was a pop, and some smoke, no boot. Smell/smoke was coming from 2 of my hard drives. , when removed the computer now boots, but still doesn't recognize a 3rd hard drive. None of those 3 work on other computers either, with same errors. Seems to run normally now." ~ Newegg reviewer, 750 model. They don't call it supernova for nothing.

I would use the tier A PSU list on Linus Tech Tips, and there is a list of working PSU's on evga forums

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Then most likely, your PSU might have electrical performance-compatibility issue with RTX 3080 rather than your PSU not supplying enough power to your system as an 850 Watt with Gold rating should normally be capable of handling an average spec rig.

It is a good choice but a bit overkill for it's price for your system. Also being discontinued means that you won't get full support for your PSU from EVGA & possibly no warranty either.
Thats an (old?) Corsair psu, the hx series. If its discontinued it still gets the full warranty (assuming it's new).

Reactions: Rei
System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
Changing the batteries in UPS ever 3 - 5 years is normal, routine maintenance.
Very accurate there Bill. I have 8 at the store and you are spot on. I just recently upgraded them to Eaton (based on research) as I've had other issues with the APC's (XS1500's) Issues: letting surges through and simply failing to work even after battery change. I've had 2 APC complete fails in 2 years. I've been running the Eatons for about 6 months and so far so good.
I'm not entirely blaming APC as this is an old building even though the interior wiring, panels, and circuits have been upgraded, I suspect we still have some issues outside from Hurricane Michael (CAT5 OCT 2018)
My 2 tint machines are the main concerns here at $30K a pop.

Hi All.

PSU replaced by Asus ROG Strix 850G 80 Plus Gold 850W Modular and no more reboots, everything working perfectly!

Thanks to all for your help

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Hi All.

PSU replaced by Asus ROG Strix 850G 80 Plus Gold 850W Modular and no more reboots, everything working perfectly!

Thanks to all for your help
Your welcome, we're always here to help.

So how much did you buy it for?

Snoddventje

Hey Guys,

I've put together a rig start of december. Consisting of the following items:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (BOX) Boxed

Gigabyte Aorus X570 ELITE

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Aorus 10G

Fractal Design Vector RS Tempered Glass

be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB CMT32GX4M2C3200C16

be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

I've been having problems that when I run graphically heavy games (escape from tarkov (EFT) and CoD cold wars) the game freezes for a second and then it won't really go further anymore. It will just stay on a single frame.
In EFT I noticed that after the freeze i can still "play", but that my screen will remain frozen. So I will try and hide and then force quit the game, I will get an error message and then I will restart asap to get back in the game.

I googled a bit and I was worried that my PSU was too slow. So currently Im using MSI afterburner to underclock my GPU (First with 50MHz, now with 80MHz). At first this seemed to solve the problem, but since two days I've been having the exact same problem. Sometimes my underclock disappeared for some reason (after an update or something).

I JUST saw that maybe I didn't underclock it properly. So I'm gonna test it again.

Anyway, can it be my PSU? It's only 650w, but it should be a pretty good one. And if underclocking works again well maybe that's fine for now, but I rather just have it run on full power.....

Last edited:
It really depends on what else you have on, but a 750w ps is definitely a safer option.

Snoddventje

It really depends on what else you have on, but a 750w ps is definitely a safer option.
What other things would you mean? Yeah I was looking into a 750/850w option. I can put the 650w I'm using in my old rig, because the PSU of that one kinda died.

Well, anything that would add up to the power draw. Mechanical drives, other PCI express cards, USB devices, lights, fans and whatnot.

There are tools online that help out in that direction.

If you plan on getting a new one, maybe a 850w ps is an even wiser choice.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
A good 650W PSU (and that beQuiet 650W is a decent one) is plenty big - assuming it is functioning properly.

Note that all PSU calculators pad the results, some more than others, because they never ever want to recommend an under-powered PSU. The eXtreme Outervision PSU is, by far, the most conservative because it is the most comprehensive and most flexible. So it never goes overboard in the padding of the results. However, I padded it even more by pushing CPU Utilization to 100%, show you have 4 sticks of RAM, added a Blu-Ray drive, stated you use the computer 16 per day and as seen here, the recommended PSU size is 575W. So you have a nice 75W to spare.

Now before someone jumps in and says 75W is not very much, note when calculating PSU requirements, regardless if using a calculator or if you do your own research and calculate manually, it must be assumed that the CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, drives, fans and everything else are all maxing out power demands at the exact same point in time. That would be an extremely rare event in real world usage.

I think you should borrow another PSU from another computer, perhaps from a trusting friend or relative and swap that in there see what happens. If the second PSU resolves your issue, I say 750W is considerably more than you need. 850W is overkill and a waste of money unless you stumble on a discounted deal that is too good to pass up.

PS: Note the Seasonic PSU calc is an abbreviated version of Outer Visions. Is say, use the more comprehensive and flexible original version if you want the most accurate estimate.

Wait a minute! Who's thread is this? DRDOOM started it.