• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starfield discussion thread

does anyone find docking your ship is kind of hard in this game? or am i just dumb?

The process took me a bit to understand/get right. Essentially, move in close enough until you get the 'R to dock' promt and then press R and it should auto-dock. You also need to make sure you have the station/ship you're docking with selected. I think it's "E" to toggle through available targets.

As a side note, I installed Windows on my 12700k/6900XT machine and I see totally different CPU utilization on that box compared to the 13900k/4090. Even usage over all the p-core and e-cores, no cores pegged, and HT for all cores. Not sure if something's wrong with my main box, or it's a difference between Radeon/Nvidia drivers. :confused:

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
The process took me a bit to understand/get right. Essentially, move in close enough until you get the 'R to dock' promt and then press R and it should auto-dock. You also need to make sure you have the station/ship you're docking with selected. I think it's "E" to toggle through available targets.

As a side note, I installed Windows on my 12700k/6900XT machine and I see totally different CPU utilization on that box compared to the 13900k/4090. Even usage over all the p-core and e-cores, no cores pegged, and HT for all cores. Not sure if something's wrong with my main box, or it's a difference between Radeon/Nvidia drivers. :confused:

Nvidia driver obviously needs more time in the oven - but it's the same thing nearly everytime with these amd sponsored games.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I just turned on CAS instead of FSR2, before I had it set to off, looks much nicer now and performance really didn't take a hit. i am getting around 110 fps in the area where you first get your spaceship.

not too bad, def beating gamersnexus benchmarks, im running at medium/high mix though, so meh. still looks great to me though.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
1693706646688.png

i upped my fan speed to 75% instead of my normal 55% since this game is so demanding, before i was hitting 60 core and 90 hotspot. pretty happy with these numbers, considering my medium OC is also boosting well. xfx builds giant metal cold cards and I love it. give me more metal, oh wait its already all metal...
:rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:

That about sums things up..

I really think everyone is overblowing things here, its a good game imo from what I have played so far. It's nothing mind blowing true, but its not a flop imo. it also looks really great when you enable CAS. Not to mention the mods that will come over the years for great story experiences and graphics improvements and so on.

One thing no one is talking about, bugs.... I literally have not encountered a single bug in 2 hours of game time. Yet, Baldur's Gate 3 got a patch for over 1000 bugs and everyone gives it a free pass for not being ready at launch, lot of fanboyism going on at the moment imo. No crashes on my end, so not sure what's going on there for a small few people but eh

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
This is the most fun I have had with an exploration game in awhile.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
let me know when you find 999 more bugs, we need to match baldurs gate 3 in amount

I got 99 bugs but an invisible boundary ain't one... :laugh:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I got 99 bugs but an invisible boundary ain't one... :laugh:

well it's true, google it larian and bethesda both fluctuated around 400 developers making their respective games, bg3 had 3 years of early access to take active real time feedback constantly, and still needed major patches to fix thousands of bugs (major patch 2 with another 1000 bug fixes is incoming)... and we got what 3 total bugs reported here? and a tiny handful of people who have crashes. i don't know, i just think fanboyism is clouding judgement of saying bg3 is the greatest

i like larian as a company and like their games, my problem is with the community, and honestly bg3 isn't amazing in next gen graphics either, just seems like starfield is getting a lot of hate for no reason, at least from my time playing. not referring to our community, mainly referring to pcgamer giving starfield 70 score and bg3 a 97 score

just eh, i am glad it happened this way honestly, i finally understand bias better. people need to learn to be more objective and create better rubrics for how they review things.

First bug. Classic Bethesda. She just slowly sank into the floor while staring at me.

That same thing happened in CyberPunk2077. LOL! GTA5 is famous for this!

its a good game imo from what I have played so far. It's nothing mind blowing true, but its not a flop imo.
Ok, that's fair. I just think it's very janky that ARC was left out. Not cool at all, especially when ARC is shaping up very nicely as a GPU line.

You have a good point with BG3. My main complaint is that the devs have failed ARC owners and that's just not cool.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
I'm about 4 hours in and friggin love it so far.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That same thing happened in CyberPunk2077. LOL! GTA5 is famous for this!

Ok, that's fair. I just think it's very janky that ARC was left out. Not cool at all, especially when ARC is shaping up very nicely as a GPU line.

You have a good point with BG3. My main complaint is that the devs have failed ARC owners and that's just not cool.

that's fair I suppose, this game was being made and this engine as well when ARC was not even known to exist or would exist, not an excuse with their amount of money and connections in the industry though I know, but anyone buying ARC should know going into it some games won't work, including your entire back log of very old DX9/10 and even some 11 games from what I understand, anyone buying ARC knows its extremely limited in scope, at least that is how I have always seen ARC when I learned it can't even play Dragon Age Origins, one of my favorite games.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
anyone buying ARC knows its extremely limited in scope,

Until you own one, dont say shit like this please. Other than starfield I havent had issues with any of the games in my library I have run on it. From FF XIV, MW3 never winter nights 1, random indies. If you MUST think everything has to have a concern it /might/ be performance though I havent had any issues playing titles at 4k while driving 2 other 4k screens.

straight up, this is the only game I have failed to launch so far.

Thanks.

System Name Minotaur
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling BeQuiet/ double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2800Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3167,Cinebench R20=7490.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
3,45Ghz or 4GHz all core boost?
3,45 is on All core always +turbo boosting up to the 4,03 it's OC via BCLK(115 on bus)
2697V2Speed.jpg

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Until you own one, dont say shit like this please. Other than starfield I havent had issues with any of the games in my library I have run on it. From FF XIV, MW3 never winter nights 1, random indies. If you MUST think everything has to have a concern it /might/ be performance though I havent had any issues playing titles at 4k while driving 2 other 4k screens.

Thanks.

Intel states it can't run DX9 games, does it it say that on your Intel ARC box that an uneducated consumer would buy at the store? They didn't run at all before December of last year apparently. False advertising.

Every Intel Arc GPU won’t support DirectX 9 natively

System Name Cocogoat
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w/ Honeywell PTM7950 TIM and additional NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 fan
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.425V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~

Thanks.

I don't blame Intel for this one, the sheer amount of AMD middleware and libraries that they are using in the game, I don't think the Bethesda developers even tested any of it against Arc.

Intel states it can't run DX9 games, does it it say that on your Intel ARC box that an uneducated consumer would buy at the store? They didn't run at all before December of last year apparently. False advertising.

It's non-issue and much of this is just old news, DX9 games ultimately do run on Arc decently enough. If I may be perfectly honest I'd rather put my chips on Intel at this point than ever doing business with AMD again.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't blame Intel for this one, the sheer amount of AMD middleware and libraries that they are using in the game, I don't think the Bethesda developers even tested any of it against Arc.

It's non-issue and much of this is just old news, DX9 games ultimately do run on Arc decently enough. If I may be perfectly honest I'd rather put my chips on Intel at this point than ever doing business with AMD again.

It does seem like AMD took this one too far, Nvidia sort of did with Cyberpunk 2077 as well. I agreed before and still do that Bethesda with its connections and money should have 100% had support for ARC. I just also feel that ARC buyers kind of know going into it some games won't run, I didn't try ARC because I read Dragon Age Origins wouldn't work, and articles like that PCGamesn article I linked above.

To be fair, that was at launch, and you're not wrong, it was poor. Since then DX9C support has improved greatly.

I don't think the Bethesda developers even tested any of it against Arc.
That's the thing though, they should have. ARC cards now have an 8% market share(depending on where you look). That's not a small number of market presence. And it's getting bigger because of the good value aspect of the cards.

System Name Cocogoat
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w/ Honeywell PTM7950 TIM and additional NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 fan
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.425V
It does seem like AMD took this one too far, Nvidia sort of did with Cyberpunk 2077 as well. I agreed before and still do that Bethesda with its connections and money should have 100% had support for ARC. I just also feel that ARC buyers kind of know going into it some games won't run, I didn't try ARC because I read Dragon Age Origins wouldn't work, and articles like that PCGamesn article I linked above.

Cyberpunk was just bad, its issues couldn't be chalked to Nvidia or anyone but CD Projekt themselves. It launched in a horribly broken state and it left a terrible taste in my mouth. Not sure if you ever saw crowbcat's video on Cyberpunk, as comically awful as it sounds today, every bit of it was true back when it first came out. I never finished or even returned to the game, even though I constantly hear that it's improved plenty. On the other hand, Starfield has been everything I wanted out of Cyberpunk and a little more :)

As with every new player, Intel's GPU will have some kinks. To their credit, however, they are constantly working, improving, iterating on their software and creating a solid base faster than anyone else. I think they are worthy of being given more than a fair chance, they fully deserve our support. People buying Arc today are largely aware of this, Intel has made no effort to hide that their first-generation product is under heavy development. I don't know about you but if Intel has a good driver for it by the game's official launch in two days as they've promised, then I'm more than happy to let it slide. It's not like the Nvidia driver is super performant (despite working correctly) and AMD unsurprisingly has admitted their driver is broken at launch and listed open issues for the game from the get go.

That's the thing though, they should have. ARC cards now have an 8% market share(depending on where you look). That's not a small number of market presence. And it's getting bigger because of the good value aspect of the cards.

Agreed. But ultimately, not Intel's fault either.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
To be fair, that was at launch, and you're not wrong, it was poor. Since then DX9C support has improved greatly.

I don't disagree, as I said Bethesda has no excuse, if they were indie with limited resources I would defend them, but not a giant corp like them.

Cyberpunk was just bad, its issues couldn't be chalked to Nvidia or anyone but CD Projekt themselves. It launched in a horribly broken state and it left a terrible taste in my mouth. Not sure if you ever saw crowbcat's video on Cyberpunk, as comically awful as it sounds today, every bit of it was true back when it first came out. I never finished or even returned to the game, even though I constantly hear that it's improved plenty. On the other hand, Starfield has been everything I wanted out of Cyberpunk and a little more :)

As with every new player, Intel's GPU will have some kinks. To their credit, however, they are constantly working, improving, iterating on their software and creating a solid base faster than anyone else. I think they are worthy of being given more than a fair chance, they fully deserve our support. People buying Arc today are largely aware of this, Intel has made no effort to hide that their first-generation product is under heavy development. I don't know about you but if Intel has a good driver for it by the game's official launch in two days as they've promised, then I'm more than happy to let it slide. It's not like the Nvidia driver is super performant (despite working correctly) and AMD unsurprisingly has admitted their driver is broken at launch and listed open issues for the game from the get go.

Agreed. But ultimately, not Intel's fault either.

I mean really Intel ARC is only hope for industry advancement, I think AMD and Nvidia are content where they are and not interested in innovation in hardware moving forward. I think we could use some more details on why ARC isn't included at launch for Starfield, my guess is Bethesda is embarrassed how convoluted their Creation Engine 2 is and don't want to admit it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
I mean really Intel ARC is only hope for industry advancement, I think AMD and Nvidia are content where they are and not interested in innovation in hardware moving forward. I think we could use some more details on why ARC isn't included at launch for Starfield, my guess is Bethesda is embarrassed how convoluted their Creation Engine 2 is and don't want to admit it.

maybe but thats a convo for the news thread. We can talk about starfield here.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Just tried the game, 4k native with no upscaling and stuff, a 4090 loses even the 60 fps mark sometimes. CPU performance looks fine, no issues on a 12900k, if I drop resolution in order to not get GPU bottlenecked it gets 130-160 fps, haven't gone far yet though.

System Name Cocogoat
Just tried the game, 4k native with no upscaling and stuff, a 4090 loses even the 60 fps mark sometimes. CPU performance looks fine, no issues on a 12900k, if I drop resolution in order to not get GPU bottlenecked it gets 130-160 fps, haven't gone far yet though.

CPU performance isn't fine lol, it's what's bogging the game down. It wastes >80% of the CPU cycles it consumes just flushing the pipeline, it's all machine clears. Try the Intel vtune profiler on your setup, see if you can replicate my results earlier in the thread