• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starfield: FSR 2.2

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Vegetation, NPCs, planets from space, etc.
The graphics is no way that good to require so much resources. I know 5 years old games that are looking way more better and requires a 980 to play, common.

Not sure what is happening recently. Games with subpar graphics requiring ridiculous amount of resources, for no actual benefit. This starts to look more and more like a scam in order for the Video card sellers to sell more of their over expensive cards.

Cool, it's not just me ;)

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
The graphics is no way that good to require so much resources. I know 5 years old games that are looking way more better and requires a 980 to play, common.

Not sure what is happening recently. Games with subpar graphics requiring ridiculous amount of resources, for no actual benefit. This starts to look more and more like a scam in order for the Video card sellers to sell more of their over expensive cards.
Not to mention, you need upscaling of some sort FSR/DLSS to even run some of the games in a way you would enjoy it on a top shelve cards. you may ask a question, does the games use so much of those new tech that give you the eye candy? Then you realize these games, suck all the performance from a card, giving lower than expected performance, these don't look that good and you know games from 5 years ago that look better than this.

@W1zzard is there a plan for performance evaluation and benchmark for graphics cards? Want to know what to expect from my 6900XT with this one.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Not to mention, you need upscaling of some sort FSR/DLSS to even run some of the games in a way you would enjoy it on a top shelve cards. you may ask a question, does the games use so much of those new tech that give you the eye candy? Then you realize these games, suck all the performance from a card, giving lower than expected performance, these don't look that good and you know games from 5 years ago that look better than this.

@W1zzard is there a plan for performance evaluation and benchmark for graphics cards? Want to know what to expect from my 6900XT with this one.
I would rephrase that a bit: it eats a crapload of resources and brings even the most powerful video cards to their knees, but in return you get perfectly meh graphics :rockout:

Last edited:
@maxus24 is there any appetite to get the free DLSS Super Resolution mod and test it? Naturally it should be made very clear if/when the results are published that it is a mod, and doesn't come baked into the game, but I think testing it is highly pertinent - given the current political situation in sponsored games.
We will have a follow up review covering the DLSS mod as well.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
From what I saw so far, without actually playing, is really disappointing in many ways. TBH I didn't expect much from this title anyway, but considering time and resources they wasted, it's a mind boggling result. All seems like a scam to sell expensive hardware without providing any noticeably better visuals than a much older titles.
In a few days I'll test it first hand, but seeing how it barely performs on hardware similar to mine, I think I'll be probably pissed off soon enough. Going under 60fps? Yeah right. I got this hardware for the purpose of having 100fps+ in 1440p. Without upscaling, and fake frames BS.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I think this is also kind of the artistic vision they wanted to go for?

Fallout 3 was green, Starfield is poop brown or grey. Arguably Fallout 3 also had a better atmosphere to it than 4 which had 'vibrant' colors, I mean 4 is the most fake looking Creation Engine game ever and the vibrancy is part of that. New Vegas had brown/red which also kind of worked, a little bit.

But yeah this is simply, once again at its core, the engine that just can't do proper lighting and Todd's coping mechanisms to 'fix it'.
It's not a huge deal, anyway. Lots of LUT mods on the Nexus already
I get what you're saying about colour filters, specific looks - honestly I have no real issue with the colour filters - most games and movies are filtered and we're just used to it at this point. Like @Dr. Dro says, there are already LUT mods to remove or enhance the filters, but nothing to correct the incorrect black point yet.

The issue is bad contrast through what I believe to be an oversight or error. No TES or Fallout game has ever had an incorrect black level, and no TES or Fallout game has ever lacked a brightness slider. Black levels have nothing to do with artistic style, they are to do with the ambient brightness of the room you're viewing the content on, in that they will need adjusting based on the viewer's environment, not the content being viewed.

I do not believe the black level problem to be opinion, I believe it to be an objectively measurable fault that needs correcting. Display device reviews (whether it's monitors, TVs, phones, or tablets) measure contrast levels and brightness. Dull, poor-contrast displays are objectively worse, and the recommendations and conclusions of all these reviews, channels, and guides, without exception, is that low contrast, washed-out displays with incomplete gamut coverage are bad; Do not buy them.

This is a game that is low contrast with washed-out colours that covers a narrow gamut. It is objectively bad regardless of my opinion on colour filters or artistic style.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Haven't seen a game to make such a big perf issue when indoor/space vs when planet surface in decade/s.
It runs fine on medium detail 80% res on the steam deck unless you are on a planet.
But it runs great on the 6700xt/11700k 4k High detail 90% resolution.

This game doesn't deliver 20% of all the hype that has been going through. Anyway, the fsr on 4k looks good x native.

Dudebro-420

Thanks for this.

I've held off playing for the moment because the lack of gamma/brightness in game makes worries about image quality irrelevant. The starting cave/mine is so washed out and grey it was actually unplayable for me. I'd rather have the horrible piss-yellow filter from Fallout3/NV than deal with a complete disregard of black levels. It made my OLED look like a low-rent Wish.com garbage-tier TN monitor with a 30:1 contrast level.

I don't spend big money on OLED and calibrating dark levels only to have a game display such a limited and poorly-mastered dynamic range. It's not HDR, it's not even SDR, it's PLR - Pathetically Limited Range.

Edit:
Here's the starting level. I turned off my torch, holstered my mining laser, and ran into the pitch black far away from any light sources so that the game's true black level can be measured. It's 32, 32, 32 which is not black, it's a 12.5% grey. That's worse than even "limited RGB 16-235" which always looks truly awful on any modern display:

View attachment 312045

...and no, it's not limited to the "dusty atmospherics of the starting mine. It's exactly the same in the air-filtered recovery room before you head outside for the first time, and here I'm staring at the sun causing a whiteout that blooms out cloud detail - it should be 255, 255, 255 or close to it, but no we get very limited-range, even if you ignore the horrible beige filter....

View attachment 312052
There's already a mod that fixes the black levels and removes the washed out filters. I know it's not ideal having to fix it with a mod but it makes the game look much better. Sorry I don't remember the name of the mod or have any screenshots handy.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
There's already a mod that fixes the black levels and removes the washed out filters. I know it's not ideal having to fix it with a mod but it makes the game look much better. Sorry I don't remember the name of the mod or have any screenshots handy.
It's called Neutral LUTs by Fadingsignal on Nexus mods. It fixes the shocking image quality caused by the incorrect black level and compressed colour range.

1693933935144.png 1693933978785.png

I'll wait until the weekend to see if Bethesda address this in their first major patch, because adding mods disables achievements. If they don't I'll gladly sacrifice achievements to get decent image quality and might as well get all of the other UI fixes that modders have added for things like HUD scaling at higher resolutions and HUD animations >30fps; Having the ship combat reticule update at 30fps makes the ship controls feel all janky for no good reason, I've downloaded the 120fps reticule mod and it feels much better.

Dudebro-420

I have no doubt that Bethesda will eventually patch the game and most of the initial performance complaints will evaporate into the ether. Some streamers have said the game has a slow start compared to past BGS titles but that it gets a lot better after ~10 hours. I totally understand people not wanting to put that much time in just for it to get going. Personally I foolishly pre-ordered the discounted $58 standard edition from Fanatical (which is non-refundable after being redeemed) so I'm stuck on this carnival ride but look forward to giving it a chance for the first time later this evening. Sorry for the bad grammar and run on sentences.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 6400 CL 32 @ 6000 CL32 (2x48GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070ti OC
Storage 2x 1tb Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, 1x SN850x 4tb, 1x 980 Pro 2tb
Display(s) 2x 34" 1440p Ultrawide
I was honestly a bit surprised with how much control the FSR implementation gives you with regards to the render resolution. It's actually quite nice to be able to fine tune in the menu instead of being stuck with a handful of preset options (Quality, Balanced, etc.).

One thing that I think is going to be a bit of a problem though for the average gamer is that the render resolution defaults to 100% when doing custom settings and enabling FSR. I can see a lot of people toggling on FSR and not bothering to look up at render resolution. Have a friend who is fairly knowledgeable compared to the most average gamer (knowing that they should have FSR turned on with their older GPU and is comfortable tweaking settings) but asked me for help with their performance. Low and behold, render resolution was still at 100% with FSR enabled. Most games have their resolution scale slider disabled when enabling FSR/DLSS so I can see this being a tad unintuitive.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I was honestly a bit surprised with how much control the FSR implementation gives you with regards to the render resolution. It's actually quite nice to be able to fine tune in the menu instead of being stuck with a handful of preset options (Quality, Balanced, etc.).

One thing that I think is going to be a bit of a problem though for the average gamer is that the render resolution defaults to 100% when doing custom settings and enabling FSR. I can see a lot of people toggling on FSR and not bothering to look up at render resolution. Have a friend who is fairly knowledgeable compared to the most average gamer (knowing that they should have FSR turned on with their older GPU and is comfortable tweaking settings) but asked me for help with their performance. Low and behold, render resolution was still at 100% with FSR enabled. Most games have their resolution scale slider disabled when enabling FSR/DLSS so I can see this being a tad unintuitive.
I guess upscaling at 100% allows you to use sharpening, but realistically the native 100% without FSR doesn't need sharpening in the first place.

Processor Ryzen 5800X3D (undervolted)
Memory 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Phantom (stock)
Display(s) 27" 1440p 144Hz VA main (HDR600), 55" LG OLED Evo secondary for controller based games
Basically this is the first game that uses part of "FSR 3" you could say, the image improving feature without upscaling, as leaving it at 100% render scale, was marketed by AMD for FSR 3 recently. This is DLAA basically without the fancy name.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
I guess upscaling at 100% allows you to use sharpening, but realistically the native 100% without FSR doesn't need sharpening in the first place.
I'm always up for more options so having the functionality isn't really a bad thing, even if the upside of a 100% scale with FSR is dubious as you said. I just feel like having three options "FSR Quality, FSR Balanced, and FSR Performance" that lock out the resolution slider and set to a preset scale would be easy for most people to set and forget. Then have a fourth for "FSR Custom" that allows you to tweak it to your hearts content.

Thanks for this.

I've held off playing for the moment because the lack of gamma/brightness in game makes worries about image quality irrelevant. The starting cave/mine is so washed out and grey it was actually unplayable for me. I'd rather have the horrible piss-yellow filter from Fallout3/NV than deal with a complete disregard of black levels. It made my OLED look like a low-rent Wish.com garbage-tier TN monitor with a 30:1 contrast level.

I don't spend big money on OLED and calibrating dark levels only to have a game display such a limited and poorly-mastered dynamic range. It's not HDR, it's not even SDR, it's PLR - Pathetically Limited Range.

Edit:
Here's the starting level. I turned off my torch, holstered my mining laser, and ran into the pitch black far away from any light sources so that the game's true black level can be measured. It's 32, 32, 32 which is not black, it's a 12.5% grey. That's worse than even "limited RGB 16-235" which always looks truly awful on any modern display:

View attachment 312045

...and no, it's not limited to the "dusty atmospherics of the starting mine. It's exactly the same in the air-filtered recovery room before you head outside for the first time, and here I'm staring at the sun causing a whiteout that blooms out cloud detail - it should be 255, 255, 255 or close to it, but no we get very limited-range, even if you ignore the horrible beige filter....

View attachment 312052
In the time it took you to make this you could have downloaded the reshade before early access even began and fixed your own problem.

If you actually played the game you'd laugh at anyone saying 5 year old games look better, but it doesn't seem like you have. You stared at a bunch of ultra zoomed in screenshots in SDR and watched a bunch of low bit rate youtube videos, of course it's gonna look underwhelming.

I found the game boring and empty, but you are biased and utterly dishonest about this.

Processor Ryzen 5800X3D (undervolted)
Memory 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Phantom (stock)
Display(s) 27" 1440p 144Hz VA main (HDR600), 55" LG OLED Evo secondary for controller based games
I'm always up for more options so having the functionality isn't really a bad thing, even if the upside of a 100% scale with FSR is dubious as you said. I just feel like having three options "FSR Quality, FSR Balanced, and FSR Performance" that lock out the resolution slider and set to a preset scale would be easy for most people to set and forget. Then have a fourth for "FSR Custom" that allows you to tweak it to your hearts content.
There's nothing dubious about it, they could've handled the options better for people who aren't that tech savvy, labeled it FSR 3 Native Render, Quality, Balanced and Performance as per usual. Instead they did it the "tech savvy" way with just giving you the plain options and basically letting you do it yourself.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
If you actually played the game you'd laugh at anyone saying 5 year old games look better, but it doesn't seem like you have. You stared at a bunch of ultra zoomed in screenshots in SDR and watched a bunch of low bit rate youtube videos, of course it's gonna look underwhelming.

I found the game boring and empty, but you are biased and utterly dishonest about this.
I've played the game , 5 year old games look better for sure. Easy example, rdr2

Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
There's nothing dubious about it, they could've handled the options better for people who aren't that tech savvy, labeled it FSR 3 Native Render, Quality, Balanced and Performance as per usual. Instead they did it the "tech savvy" way with just giving you the plain options and basically letting you do it yourself
I only said "even if it's dubious" as the guy I was replying to didn't seem all that convinced that the 100% FSR method was beneficial. Point being that the usefulness of that feature is debatable (as graphics settings are all very subjective) but having the option to turn it on is still nice. Just leads to a scenario where you can enable FSR and have equal to or worse performance (ignoring image quality) compared to native rendering which isn't that intuitive to the non-tech savvy folks.

Last edited:
I've played the game , 5 year old games look better for sure. Easy example, rdr2
Not only is RDR2 a perfect example of a game with a ton of performance issues that doesn't look as good as the requirements, it also doesn't look as good. You could not have chose a worse example.

That game is literally used a benchmark because it is so cpu limited. It was so terrible on release it wouldn't run on a 3080, which starfield at least does. I dunno what kind of screen you're playing on but I bet it's 1080p with 1 dimming zone. If not you might want to see a new optometrist

Last edited:
System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Not only is RDR2 a perfect example of a game with a ton of performance issues that doesn't look as good as the requirements, it also doesn't look as good. You could not have chose a worse example.

That game is literally used a benchmark because it is so cpu limited. It was so terrible on release it wouldn't run on a 3080, which starfield at least does.
Uhm...no? I mean....ok, whatever, if you think RDR 2 doesn't look good, not much to talk about.

EG1. Im playing on a 4k oled but thanks anyways.

EG2. Although back when I played RDR2 I had a 5120*1440 49" SUW VA panel.

I only said "even if it's dubious" as the guy I was replying to didn't seem all that convinced that the 100% FSR method was beneficial. Point being that the usefulness of that feature is debatable (as graphics settings are all very subjective) but having the option to turn it on is still nice. Just leads to a scenario where you can enable FSR and have equal to or worse performance (ignoring image quality) compared to native rendering which isn't that intuitive to the non-tech savvy folks.

Pretty common issue on PC. Where graphics settings menu's do a poor job of explaining things. It's a known learning curve to PC gaming that takes a little getting used to.