• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

Well it's not just Microsoft, HDMI only got 1536 total samples in v 2.0+, before then it couldn't do actual 8 x 192k.
SPDIF started as 2 channels, but got updated ages ago to 15+, 2008-2009?, things get updated.

Even audio device manufacturers still use a 2 channel transmitter-receiver even though 15+ exist.
The problem is legacy implementation, like using HDMI 2.0+ at 1.2 specifications.

SPDIF does not specify a bitrate, instead its down to the hardware used, and audio format specification.

but mainly microsoft, i mean they got the monopoly and a strong grip on it + as operating systems get out dated so does the software/firmware for the hardware which is just lots of extra work no one wants to do free :D usually stuff gets updated 2-3 years and then discontinued or/and fogotten

//edit:: imagine instead of crippling their competition and making sure they are number 1, aswell as acquiring EVERYONE that might end up having the chance to pose a threat thanks to talent.. instead wasting all that time and money on that you could hire some teams doing implementation stuff or come up with something

Well, true, there is-was SteamOS Linux based. Getting devs onboard with changes needed for Linux instead of writing for just Windows, pretty much the same as you mention.

@druboo_666, Are both Realtek services running (Task Manager) and are you using to provided Realtek app?

Attachments

• Realtek Audio Service.png
    Realtek Audio Service.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 66
Are both Realtek services running (Task Manager) and are you using to provided Realtek app?
@Ferather only one service is running and can you give me some time of your free time to check through team-viewer to whether everything is perfectly doing OK.
yes I am trying to run the provided Realtek app.

Sure, a little later today will be fine. I will message you later. Done, I also unlocked DTS:X on his bluetooth headphones, special method.

Last edited:
How to unlock DTS APO4 on non HDA (HD Audio) Devices

This conversion guide is being kept simple, so if the device has its own APO's you will need to be more advanced (message me if needed).
The steps can applied to bluetooth, root, usb and other device types (I have also done this to VAC in the past).

Requirements: This driver is fully installed and working as normal, [DTS Settings].

====

Open regedit and go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render]

--

Go through each {GUID}, reading the data in the right panel (expand view size), searching for [DTS DCH - Speakers].
Do the same for the device to want to add DTS APO4 to (searching the data in the right panel).

Speakers (Unused).png

--

Once you have both {GUID} keys expanded (preferably the only two), you will need to transfer two data values.
Double click, copy, the below keys (right panel, left side) from [Speakers], to, [Chosen Device].

{a45c254e-df1c-4efd-8020-67d146a850e0},24
{b3f8fa53-0004-438e-9003-51a46e139bfc},2

Speakers (Data).png

--

Copy the {GUID} of the [Chosen Device], then edit [Stereo.reg] in [DTS Settings], replacing both {DEVICE-ID}'s.
Save the edited .reg as a new file (save as), give it a name, double click it, then restart.

{DEVICE-ID}.png

--

Once Windows has loaded, disable then enable the [Chosen Device], open the Ultra app.
Note: You may need the 'Alternative' install, with certain devices.

Attachments

• DTS - Default Mode.png
    DTS - Default Mode.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Memory 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w (SS-620GB)
Software Windows 10 Education x64 21H2
Last edited:
Sad to see a 2 channel Optical-SPDIF receiver implementation in the scenarios below (images) (ignore the typo G).
Realtek also needs to upgrade USB>SPDIF to output 15+ channels (and all formats).

SC-95.png
RX-A8A.png

SPDIF has consumer and professional modes.

Last edited:

@Ferather.​

Special thanks for the improved Win CAudio. I use full AAF (latest one with hda panel, AAF DCH Optimus Sound 6.0.9219.1).
The sound somehow became cleaner, richer, and some more expanded notes were added. Tested on two computers.
Thank you!

Yes Microsoft need to up their game in terms of audio, but that's a known fact amongst audio professionals.
You wont get any better out of Windows after Win CAudio, I get bitperfect even at 144 dB.

It also goes to show, you dont need to be an audiophile to tell the difference, so far everyone does.
The Microsoft audio team must actually be partially deaf, not to sound too rude.

Well anyway, the Win CAudio not only disables the offenders, but also adds APO acceleration.
I also removed 'In place', as there are some side issues with it, so better still.

Edit: Hopefully AAF has copied my DTS APO accelerator trick (SFX).

====

I also get a similar effect from Equalizer APO, after my Configure.reg and some reg entry edits.
EAPO works in a different way to other APO's, so the overall effect is more limited.

Equalizer APO.png

{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

====

You can read more in page 2 of my DMAS Design [SPDIF-Optical] thread, you might like the last post.
Also as a bonus, some games will happily output 32 bit float PCM, even old ones.

Planetside 2.png

I get 6 x 48k 32 bit float, SPDIF direct (no VAC).

----

Note the DTS DCH driver has protection (attenuation) after SFX (MFX-EFX).

Last edited:
Added 'Audio Priority.reg' to [Win CAudio], sets the 'Audio Device Graph' (AudioDG.exe) to high priority, up from normal.
AudioDG is the main-only point where the CPU is used, so no need to apply to other services.

High priority audio processing, other. CPU usage is roughly 0.4-0.6% with 3-5 audio apps using the system.

AudioDG - With Apps.png AudioDG - No Apps.png

----

I also updated post 1, a little bit.

----

What's the major difference between 'Main' and 'Alternative' install?

It installs a different set of DTS files, Main is optimized for specific devices, Alternative is optimized for most devices.
There will be cases where the Main option does not actually run on certain devices, and types.

Make sure you fully uninstall Main before proceeding to Alternative (see post 1).

Last edited:
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Memory 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w (SS-620GB)
Software Windows 10 Education x64 21H2
I have noticed there is a small bug with the alternative install, the DTS APO that is installed can bug the app into showing stereo mode, when it should be showing multichannel, but that can be ignored.
Please note that bugs such as that are not a result of any mods, technically speaking the DTS files are not modified, just unlocked. All Realtek files are untouched original.

The easy way to explain, there is a master key and device key, the device key is checked against hardware, producing a resulting key, which is matched to the master (true or false match).
I have byte patched the DTS files so that it checks the master key against its self (self = self, always true). This is the easy way to explain how the unlock works.

Currently I am working on a new license file, if I put out an update, its because you should be able to update Sound Unbound for free (I own it personally).
Just so you know, if your device normally comes with a .lic file, you can add it back after install, the DTS files will load it also.

Also, as a side note, the newer DTS files have additional restrictions past the license passing, preventing use even when the license passes.

----

In addition to the unlock, you also don't need a supported form factor (speakers, headphones) to get default mode, fully operational, such as SPDIF-HDMI.
Some of you will be lucky enough that the OEM has added a sub form factor (speakers) to SPDIF, Ultra will show 'External Speakers'.

SPDIF -- DTS-X Ultra + DTS Interactive.png
SPDIF - No Form Factor.png

====

If you are using the latest Sound Unbound, via account or license file (.lic), the DTS:X Ultra option has moved to Headphones:X > None (speakers).
Note that the spatial modes are for stereo, 2 channel, output. They are not intended for multichannel output.

====

Lic.png

====

DTS:X licensed as normal, Sound Unbound (provided-licensed) as normal, to test: latest Sound Unbound.
Reported the same result as the current .lic, I will use it but not upload an update for now.

If you can't find a working .lic for Sound Unbound, buy it, 1 key is valid on 10 devices (pretty cheap).

Attachments

• 1025133B.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Thank you! Finally I got it working on legion 5 pro (2021).
but sadly the MIC isn't working though (doesn't hear anything).

@Raven 77, That's interesting, don't think I have seen that issue before. Would you mind using TeamViewer, no need to install it?
If not message me screenshots of your active recording devices shown in the Windows sound control panel.

You might need a specific SSTPPCfg, which I can get from your stock driver, or policy edit.

====

Also on a side note, following post #1,833, to unlock DTS:X on other random devices, the device should show in the Realtek app.
If you have any extra software processing features they should be usable on the device, as well as config.

HDMI devices may not show, however Virtual Audio Cable shows as 'Speakers' (test setup).

> You may need 'ExecTI' from [Win CAudio], or 'FX Config' from [Device Tools] to run 'Regedit' as Trusted Installer.

----

Ideally leave VAC as raw (no FxProperties), else you will get a 10ms buffer, then 10+10 = 20ms latency.

Last edited:
@Raven 77, That's interesting, don't think I have seen that issue before. Would you mind using TeamViewer, no need to install?
If not message me screenshots of your active recording devices shown in the Windows sound control panel.

You might need a specific SSTPPCfg, which I can get from your stock driver, or policy edit.

====

Also on a side note, if you follow post #1,833, to unlock DTS:X on other random devices, it should show in the Realtek app.
If you have any extra software processing features they should be usable on the device, as well as config.

HDMI devices may not show, however Virtual Audio Cable shows as 'Speakers' (test setup).

Ideally leave VAC as raw (no FXProperties), else you will get a 10ms buffer, then 10+10 = 20ms latency.
After rebooting ( or maybe after installing unbound) , the mic seems to work now, thanks again for driver!

Probably Windows or something silly. Good to know thanks for the feedback.

Enjoy! and enjoy on other devices if you feel like it.

I have noticed there is a small bug with the alternative install, the DTS APO that is installed can bug the app into showing stereo mode, when it should be showing multichannel, but that can be ignored.

Turned out to be a service load issue, or possibly load conflict. Win 11 upgraded from 10, the user had quite a few services and start-up apps.
It could still be a combination of the alternative files, but it seems to be an issue likely from upgrading, other.

Optional, if you are using my Equalizer APO upmixer, run 'ExecTI' from [Win CAudio], then import the 'Configure.reg' file. Once imported go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Right click the key and select permissions, then advanced. Press 'Disable inheritance', then set all permissions to read only.

Permissions.png

Check all the permissions applied to the keys inside, then restart the computer.

Now open the normal Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EqualizerAPO\Child APOs
Edit PostMixChild and PreMixChild to: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

EAPO - Child APOs.png

Restart the computer (maybe twice).

----

You might notice an improvement, you may not: Low Level Signals: 32-bit Float versus 24-bit - Sound Devices
My Potplayer config files are here if you want to replicate, or want 32 bit float output.

----

Attachments

• EAPO.png
    EAPO.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Sample - Unchanged.png
    Sample - Unchanged.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Sample - Attenuation.png
    Sample - Attenuation.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Sample - Result.png
    Sample - Result.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Note, most TOSLink cables are not properly rated, most will do around 10-12 mbps, possibly less. If you are looking for quality cables look for some sort of rating.
Ideally look for 125 mbps, this means the cable has been tested on a 125 mbps TOSLink module, alternatively look for lossless formats.

The revision changes would really benefit from a version number like HDMI, USB, and so on, still nothing I can do.

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
Hello there, you have made a very good progress since we have last talked. Can I install dts ultra on my MSI Mobo?

Yes, so far any Realtek HDA, although depending on the device, you might need 'Main' or 'Alternative', option from the installer.
Also read all of post one in case you are one of the people who get Nahimic always installing with updates.

Make sure you fully remove 'Main' if it does not work, else 'Alternative' wont be active.

----

If you have Realtek USB, you need this pack instead: DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices [USB Supported]