• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

No problem, I built the driver to give us all a professional experience with Realtek, depending on the model, you will beat various dedicated devices that cost £100+.

My S1220-A, Asus edition with hardware DSP, is already out-of-the box better than a Xonar, but I believe that's intended.

What's your recommendation for ALC889 + stereo headphones (analog)

I used to have an ALC 889, its a good chip, not quite as good as S1220, but not much worse. I used speakers with my ALC 889, never used headphones with it.
The 'DTS Settings' is for SPDIF-HDMI, not analogue, you only need the Ultra and Sound Unbound app for stereo.

I would try automatic in Ultra and Headphones for Sound Unbound, If you are using the new SU, Its Headphones:X, then headphones/none (none is Ultra).
The older Sound Unbound app will show both modes independently, whereas the new version one name 3 modes (none - speakers).

It would be better if the new version just called the spatial 'Sound Unbound', opposed to Headphones:X, then modes.

----

If you want to dedicate E-APO to 6 channels (5.1) only, remove the side options from the upmixer and global channel gain:

EAPO 1.png
EAPO 2.png

1665685752151.png

====

Reminder, use the 'External Speakers' package for SPDIF, to load DTS APO4 with a valid form factor (comes with guide).

External Speakers.png

Delete the HDMI line if you are only using SPDIF, like me.

Last edited:
I tried Hesuvi on my ALC 889, and it was ok, but not quite what I wanted, it's good for effects though if your device supports it, else you might get noise.

No extra steps are needed for analogue, its only SPDIF-HDMI due to lack of form factor support. Install and off you go.
You can use Sound Unbound on pretty much any device and driver, however not Ultra.

Enable Sound Unbound as you see fit, then change presets, EQ's, other with Ultra, they mix together (both are APO4).

====

Last edited:

tinosantos

Hi bro, i'm trying to install your driver. I currently have DTS custom working (ASUS asus b550m-plus tuf gaming with ALC S1200A), i want to upgrade to dts ultra. Tried with main and alt driver, no error but when launch dts ultra it tells me to connect the external speakers (are connected analogically), I don't know what else to try now, can you think of something? thanks a lot!

Did you fully remove the previous drivers and all its extensions? Also check the DTSAPO4Service is running in 'Task Manager'.

tinosantos

Did you fully remove the previous drivers and all its extensions? Also check the DTSAPO4Service is running in 'Task Manager'.
Yes, removed everything, with cmd, driver explorer and DDU. I tried all the combinations I could, currently I have the official audio drivers (except dts) + your DTS drivers and it doesn't work for me either. I can't think of what else to do .
DTSAPO4Service is not running. if I run it manually it doesn't do anything, surely I'm doing the wrong thing
EDIT: Realtek audio console does detect it.

Might have to do TeamViewer with you, it sounds like there is a conflict somewhere. There no should be no Realtek or DTS files or residual drivers (extensions, other) before you install the package.
If a residual driver installs, it will override the APO system. The other cause is VPN software, sometimes it causes a bug with the licensing which makes the service crash.

Message me if you want to do Teamviewer, or need more help directly.

Which APO?, APO stands for audio processing object, and there are many :)
If you mean this driver, yes it works on Win11.

I tried Hesuvi on my ALC 889, and it was ok, but not quite what I wanted, it's good for effects though if your device supports it, else you might get noise.

No extra steps are needed for analogue, its only SPDIF-HDMI due to lack of form factor support. Install and off you go.
You can use Sound Unbound on pretty much any device and driver, however not Ultra.

Enable Sound Unbound as you see fit, then change presets, EQ's, other with Ultra, they mix together (both are APO4).

====

Thank you Ferather

No problem, I updated the preset, instead of re-packing the driver and everyone re-install, instead simply install the new preset, I suggest a restart after.
If anyone needs help ask here, or message me, I can do Teamviewer (no need to install), if needed.

If you are a stereo fan, you can also use Boom3D with the package.

====

If you are using multichannel analogue or digital, I suggest E-APO as a stereo upmixer, although you can try other methods, apps.
The config I shared has additional setup for semi-cross, which allows other enhancers to still work with bass.

Multichannel SPDIF has been setup with a final crossover-gain (all channels, except LFE, to LFE).
If you play stereo audio with Interactive, without an upmixer, you will get 2.1.

Last edited:
No problem, I updated the preset, instead of re-packing the driver and everyone re-install, instead simply install the new preset, I suggest a restart after.
If anyone needs help ask here, or message me, I can do Teamviewer (no need to install), if needed.

====

If you are using multichannel analogue or digital, I suggest E-APO as a stereo upmixer, although you can try other methods, apps.
The config I shared has additional setup for semi-cross, which allows other enhancers to still work with bass.

Multichannel SPDIF has been setup with a final crossover-gain (all channels, except LFE, to LFE).
If you play stereo audio with Interactive, without an upmixer, you will get 2.1.
Final Crossover-gain, in E-APO?
Or the DTS Interactive APO4 preset?

tinosantos

Might have to do TeamViewer with you, it sounds like there is a conflict somewhere. There no should be no Realtek or DTS files or residual drivers (extensions, other) before you install the package.
If a residual driver installs, it will override the APO system. The other cause is VPN software, sometimes it causes a bug with the licensing which makes the service crash.

Message me if you want to do Teamviewer, or need more help directly.
I thank you a lot. I don't want to bother you, so I'm going to keep trying and if I can't, I'll PM you. I really thank you.

Yeah! I downloaded it immediately

Could try. I have tried in the past actually but last time it was a little weird on CPU usage. Will try again

My motherboard seems to natively support DTS through HDMi . But it won't work if I just download any DTS app. Do you thing if I play around with audio device identifier I can manage to activate DTS ?

Final changes for now, cannot find better files. Other files sound [@#$%], but feel free to edit the .xml, replace files.
Setup as a generic DSP, for all devices and modes.

====

@Lucky8, you can use the 'DTS Settings' pack on both SPDIF and HDMI, as long as the Realtek driver is installed. If you want 'DTS Audio' out, setup and use the Interactive.reg file.

--

Files: 'DTS Preset.reg' and 'Multichannel [Interactive].reg'.

> Open 'FX Config' (Tools folder in the driver package), select the optical device from the top, then on the right press 'Copy GUID'.
> Right click and edit both .reg files, replacing {DEVICE-ID} with the one you copied from 'FX Config'.

> In Windows sound settings, right click disable the device, import the .reg files using 'FX config', then re-enable.

Roundup.png

----

@Sombreuil, you mean Boom3D? I am not actually sure, I would imagine the newer versions support Win11 fully.

I have an older version in my storage, if you Google for a newer version, make sure it's not password protected, its a way to hide viruses from scanners for a bit.
Make sure the .zip, .rar, whatever container is not protected, scan both the container file, and the unzipped content, then install.

>> It seems version 1.2.5 or higher supports Win11: Boom 3D 1.2.5 for Windows 11 Archives.

I'm starting to believe the alien in your profile picture it's actually you. Thanks again for the out of this planet help

Well everything is fully unlocked, I am not able to override the form factor requirements, as the code is not in list form, more like:

[Check value is 1, next, check value is 2], which means I can change the check value but not add more.
SPDIF-HDMI is form factor 8 and 9, whereas, as above, speakers-headphones 1 and 2.

You can use any preset you want, any license file (still needs one though), modify the .xml, mix .bin files, do what you like.
If you intend to change the .xml, remove the 'public' bit from the license line to force apply to no form factor.

1666101984814.png

====

You can also change the APO and Tech files (3 .dll's in total), manually. Although I have modified the ones in the package.

1666102187273.png

So I was looking further into LFE (see here), and found the human ear has a bass range of around 16-260hz (see here), which is perceived at a lower volume.
Normally with crossover, there is suggestion to add around 10-20hz to the top end, for example 160hz is 180hz. So I am trying 280hz.

So far it sounds good, plus it takes away more LFE from the satellites, which I prefer.

1666201510565.png

100% of Left and Right, all channels.

At lower to 20Hz you stop earing with the ears and start using the hearth. Did you know infrasound can actually modify hearth beat ? And it does. That's why all tribes and warriors throughout the history have used drums to pump it up. I must confess I used to listen to low frequency sounds in front a giant speaker just to feel the thrills
BTW, do you have alc889 driver policy .dat?

Last edited:
It's written as 20hz-20khz, but there is debate, under certain conditions the human ear can respond at lower frequencies.

"The commonly stated range of human hearing is 20 to 20,000 Hz. Under ideal laboratory conditions, humans can hear sound as low as 12 Hz and as high as 28 kHz,
though the threshold increases sharply at 15 kHz in adults" -- Source

"The audibility by the human ear varies between all individuals. The audible frequency range on average is between 16 Hz to 20 KHz,
and the intensity detected by the average person is between -10dB to 130 dB." -- Source

----

Policy:

See the 'Tools' folder (in the unzipped driver package) for the changes if you want to mod your own policy, or unlock the panel.
Simply register the file only, if you already have features that normally show in the Realtek app.

First and second policies are made on 889. First one adds features.

You know, I was playing around earlier with the RTK tool and ended up with no sound. Even after a Windows reinstall, it is still unable to output sound. Windows seems to recognise the device. Maybe it was "clear pin config" what made this issue. So I was expecting to restore its functionality using the policy file.
I thought motherboard was always in charge of informing the pin config to Windows every boot. Now ¿what do you thing that would make the trick in order to fix it?

Another question. By default, Windows just output sound using HD audio device . There is no point in installing Realtek's if I'm using your driver, right? Or for - some - functionality I actually need it?

EDIT: forget it. Thanks god Gigabyte had me covered. Just in case any other moron screw up as I did, disabling audio un BIOS/UEFI , reposting and Enabling Audio again, fixes it.
If you don't mind, still want to know about the other question. And thanks again for the time.

Edit 2 : btw Do I have to force legacy Realtek control panel if I want to try unlocked features? I'd like to test everything. All possible audio enhancements .

Last edited: