• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
The T3500 has PCIe2.0 slots, and the x8 slots are wired x4. So I'm wondering how much M2 actually has to offer there.
Of course using the 2nd PCIe x16 @x8 may be an option.
The Dell BIOS supports RAID0. Since I'n cheap and lazy, I wonder how SATA2 SSD x3 in RAID0 would compare to PCIe 2.0 x4? I'm seeing 900MB/s theoretical.
Some people say it works, some say it doesn't, and some say it usually doesn't matter.
I say SATA2 because that's also what the T3500 has, SATA3 drives would run at SATA2 speed.

System Name HP ProLiant DL360P G8
Processor 2x Xeon e2690
Motherboard HP
Cooling 6 Delta fans
Memory 192gb ECC ddr3 @1333
Video Card(s) Quadro k4200
Storage 4x 1.2TB Dell SAS raid 0
Display(s) iDrac over IP
Case HP 1U
Power Supply 2x 1100w Platinum PSUs
Mouse iDrac
Keyboard iDrac
Software Windows Server 2019
System Name “Frankenstein” Dell T5500 (installed in T3500 case)
Processor Xeon X5675
Motherboard Dell T5500
Cooling Dell Air cooler 0U016F
Memory 24 GB ECC Registered. DDR3 (4GB x 6)
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9 380X Nitro 4GB
Storage SATA SSD and WD HD
Display(s) Dell 24” LCD
Case Dell T3500 (donor)
Audio Device(s) Intel 2.0 HD audio on board
Power Supply Dell T5500 875 watt job. Nice beefy PS, but ugly power harness.
Mouse Um...generic?
Keyboard Dell basic keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 and PC Linux OS Mate 64
Benchmark Scores Coming!
The Mac Pro was LGA1366 back in the day. So the Mac forums may have some relevant concepts for workstation modders.
But looking into it further MacOS is not Linux based. They're both Unix based and can run Unix commands, but that's about it as far as I can tell.
I have shopped Mac LGA1366 stores and found some deals.
I've ended up with two Mac Pros recently. Both are dual-Xeon based.

One is a Mac Pro 3,1 2008 and the other a Mac Pro 4,1 2009 model (firmware flashed to a Mac Pro 5,1 2010 equivalient).

Still learning about them, but I will say the hardware is solid. And Heavy! That all aluminum Mac Pro "cheese grater" case is not light at all.

The main forum I've hung out to learn more is over on the Macrumors site:

Some folks over there are about as knowledgeable on those Mac Pro models as the gurus here are with the Dell workstations.

Funnily enough, to run the latest MacOS on those older Mac Pros, you have to use software hacks that originally came from the Hackintosh community.

Apple considers them "unsupported", so even though they will run Windows and Linux without much trouble, getting them to run newer (less than 4 years old) Mac OS versions will takes some magic.

Processor 2x Xeon e2690
Motherboard HP
Cooling 6 Delta fans
Display(s) iDrac over IP
Case HP 1U
Mouse iDrac
Keyboard iDrac
I've ended up with two Mac Pros recently. Both are dual-Xeon based.

One is a Mac Pro 3,1 2008 and the other a Mac Pro 4,1 2009 model (firmware flashed to a Mac Pro 5,1 2010 equivalient).

Still learning about them, but I will say the hardware is solid. And Heavy! That all aluminum Mac Pro "cheese grater" case is not light at all.

The main forum I've hung out to learn more is over on the Macrumors site:

Some folks over there are about as knowledgeable on those Mac Pro models as the gurus here are with the Dell workstations.

Funnily enough, to run the latest MacOS on those older Mac Pros, you have to use software hacks that originally came from the Hackintosh community.

Apple considers them "unsupported", so even though they will run Windows and Linux without much trouble, getting them to run newer (less than 4 years old) Mac OS versions will takes some magic.

I have the 2010 model configured with a w3690, an rx 590, bluray burner, & ssds all around which I still use for video editing.

This guide may come in handy for yours

Attachments

• report01.png
    report01.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 42
  • report02.png
    report02.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 41
  • report03.png
    report03.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 35
System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
Looked at the MacPro stuff. You need to delid your CPUs for those. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
I have one too. But 2x2 core LGA775 Xeons. Probaly Pentium D stuff. It looks like a T5500 MB might fit.

Processor 2x Xeon e2690
Motherboard HP
Cooling 6 Delta fans
Display(s) iDrac over IP
Case HP 1U
Mouse iDrac
Keyboard iDrac
Did you get your problem sorted out?
Yes sir, ... while it was no easy task, I did manage to remove the fan assembly, and since I was already in there, I managed to re-paste my cpus.
Needless to say, now I know this system inside & out :toast:

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Hello everyone, I work with notebook and desktop maintenance. I got a Dell Precision T5500 with the following problem: It turns on, it works normally for days, you can restart it without problem, but if you turn it off it keeps one of the fans on and if you try to turn it on, it generates the code of led amber and 1 and 2 flashing and then off. That would be SYS_PWORK defect. When you use it for a while, it turns off, if you let the fan stop (which can take a long time), when it turns off if you turn it on, it will turn on normally, it is a very complex defect given that there is no electrical diagram to follow. I tried to update the bios through the system, but it restarts and pulls the bios update, it updates successfully (too fast) but keeps the version. Could someone help me with this defect?
Ok, my Dell T3500 (5500 mb installed) has gone flakey on me.

This is a T3500 that I had upgraded to a T5500 Motherboard.

And all of a sudden it quit working. Dead. No power light on.

So, I swapped power supplies then started getting a pre-POST error - an amber power light, and two blinking LEDs on the front panel (1 and 2).

According to the Dell service manual, that means there is a regulator failure. Most probably on the motherboad.

So, I swapped out the T5500 motherboard for the original T3500 motherboard (and it has it's own CPU/RAM so that was not the issue).

STILL getting the same pre-POST error - amber power light and two blinking LEDs (1 and 2).

Hmmm...any idea of what is happening? I searched the web a bit, and could not find anyone who had the exact same problem.
In my opinion both issues could be caused by a faulty front I/O control panel daughter board (part # MC532). Very common issue with the Tx500 series. Especially the older ones that used known bad capacitors. The fan and temperature regulator reside there. Much going on with the propitiatory 40-pin cable and connector. Have corrected and re-produced similar issues changing back and forth in my own systems.

Attachments

• tx500.daughter.jpg
    tx500.daughter.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 72
System Name “Frankenstein” Dell T5500 (installed in T3500 case)
Processor Xeon X5675
Motherboard Dell T5500
Cooling Dell Air cooler 0U016F
Memory 24 GB ECC Registered. DDR3 (4GB x 6)
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9 380X Nitro 4GB
Storage SATA SSD and WD HD
Display(s) Dell 24” LCD
Case Dell T3500 (donor)
Audio Device(s) Intel 2.0 HD audio on board
Power Supply Dell T5500 875 watt job. Nice beefy PS, but ugly power harness.
Mouse Um...generic?
Keyboard Dell basic keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 and PC Linux OS Mate 64
Benchmark Scores Coming!
Looked at the MacPro stuff. You need to delid your CPUs for those. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
I have one too. But 2x2 core LGA775 Xeons. Probaly Pentium D stuff. It looks like a T5500 MB might fit.
Yeah the one I have is a dual Xeon CPU model. They sold then either single or dual CPU. The only difference is the tray that slides out. Very easy to upgrade.

The one I got had two X5560 chips. I did the firmware upgrade to Mac Pro 5,1. Then upgraded to two X5672 CPUs

In my opinion both issues could be caused by a faulty front I/O control panel daughter board (part # MC532). Very common issue with the Tx500 series. Especially the older ones that used known bad capacitors. The fan and temperature regulator reside there. Much going on with the propitiatory 40-pin cable and connector. Have corrected and re-produced similar issues changing back and forth in my own systems.
Roger.

I’ve been delayed getting to it, but plan to check it out this week. I do have a spare front panel cable so I can swap it out.

thanks!

Last edited:
still me...

so i heard one of the cpus on the T7810 runs a little hotter cause physics and stuff.

the diff is a bit large imo?

what do you guys think?

1668548836948.png

still me...

so i heard one of the cpus on the T7810 runs a little hotter cause physics and stuff.

the diff is a bit large imo?

what do you guys think?

View attachment 270115

I think I'd look into that a little deeper. Maybe re paste them both. Fans working ok? The first CPU cooler is stepped the second cooler is larger and actually very well designed. I do not have that system but bought a heatsink last year from one. It's actually a really nice heatsink and should do an adequate job.

I think I'd look into that a little deeper. Maybe re paste them both. Fans working ok? The first CPU cooler is stepped the second cooler is larger and actually very well designed. I do not have that system but bought a heatsink last year from one. It's actually a really nice heatsink and should do an adequate job.
swapped CPUs, added a bit more paste just to be safe - same result.
if it is the second one - bigger heatsink - it is branded "FCN", stepped one is FOXCONN

how can i be sure it is the second one?
i will look for another monitoring software that says cpu0, cpu1
Expand the voltages on that second CPU. Can't tell what it is. Might be higher which would be a binning thing.
interesting.
just bought them off ebay......that voltage config should be in the bios....?
should i reset bios to default?

it is v A19.

*affraid to do update :)) we had this talk before.
you can recover functionality if during bios update the power is cut?
(i know, i should get UPS .... damn expensive stuff) :D

a binning thing
what's a "binning" thing?

do i need to bin the CPU?

swapped CPUs, added a bit more paste just to be safe - same result.
if it is the second one - bigger heatsink - it is branded "FCN", stepped one is FOXCONN

how can i be sure it is the second one?
i will look for another monitoring software that says cpu0, cpu1

interesting.
just bought them off ebay......that voltage config should be in the bios....?
should i reset bios to default?

it is v A19.

*affraid to do update :)) we had this talk before.
you can recover functionality if during bios update the power is cut?
(i know, i should get UPS .... damn expensive stuff) :D
The cpu by your 5.25 expansion bay is cpu0 the one by your pcie slots is cpu1. Voltage is not adjustable in your bios. The second heatsink should have direct contact heatpipes very nicely machined flush. Should also have a piece of sheet metal towards the bottom that ducts air down to blow onto the vrm MOSFETs. I don't remember how it should be branded but I sorta doubt there are aftermarket versions of that Dell heatsink. I'd do what lex said and view/log the voltages and a bios update isn't a bad idea. Not sure if it would help but it's just an automatic first thing I do on a new system. Without looking I'd guess that current version is probably a34.

Last edited:
The cpu by your 5.25 expansion bay is cpu0 the one by your pcie slots is cpu1. Voltage is not adjustable in your bios.
yeah, i was asking how do we know from that picture i posted which is which?

(logic says top one is 0 and next one is 1 i guess)
but i cannot see an identifier in the monitoring software.

yeah, i was asking how do we know from that picture i posted which is which?

(logic says top one is 0 and next one is 1 i guess)
but i cannot see an identifier in the monitoring software.
Oooh I gotcha. Bring up the thermals like you did and take a piece of cardboard with your case opened up and block one heatsink with it. See which thermals go up. If I had to guess they would be in order.

And one last thing. If nothing is wrong and this is just a Dell problem. Which is may just be. Go into the bios and set the fans to Auto with minimum being 30 percent. I found 30 percent on fans to be tolerable and it really helps the system run cooler. The factory fan curve sucks on dells.

Go into the bios and set the fans to Auto with minimum being 30 percent. I found 30 percent on fans to be tolerable and it really helps the system run cooler. The factory fan curve sucks on dells.
yeah i will look into it.

vendor said it is ok. but 20 degrees? come on... i read like 6... cause cpu1 is behind cpu0..

i made a screen recording with last 3-4 minutes of 10minute 100% usage run, with voltage opened up as well.

still 20 degrees in difference. this is bugging me.

will come back with the recording.

*i will also run it with the case open, maybe the fan is not running?....

forgot to plug in fan for stepped heatsink and the computer booted - which is weird.
was expecting it not to...

so maybe 1 fan is literally down.

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
What I see is one core running cold. Of course what you posted is only 3 cores of a 14 core CPU. But maybe it's not a cooling problem but an inactive core. If you swapped CPUs and it stayed there then maybe a bad connection on the MB? I see the cold core having 0% utilization, and the other two 100%.

"I think it has a misfire."

Try pre boot diag epsa I think. It will spool all the fans up 1 at a time. You can hear the jet engines go, watch rpm and temp.

The factory fan curve sucks on dells.
so disappointing ..
this is why i am considering BIOS update, maybe they fixed this.

What I see is one core running cold. Of course what you posted is only 3 cores of a 14 core CPU. But maybe it's not a cooling problem but an inactive core. If you swapped CPUs and it stayed there then maybe a bad connection on the MB? I see the cold core having 0% utilization, and the other two 100%.

"I think it has a misfire."
in task manager all threads are high up at 100%.

will add a clip of the test with voltages as well. in a short while.

thanks for the support guys!

here goes the link to yt:

Go into the bios and set the fans to Auto with minimum being 30 percent.
did that.

temp did not exceppe 70, diff of 10-15 degs between cpu 0 and 1.

but that 30 ramps up the front case fans for sure, but does it ramp the cpu fans too?..

i keep looking for a fan speed monitor and cannot find one.

pretty noisy at 30%. :D

The only difference between our systems (t5810) is you have 2 CPU fans. They all ramp together. Set it down some if it's too loud for you. But don't leave it at 0. It's possible that 10 percent will be effective. Seeing it didn't get above 70 on stress. And don't quote me but cpuz may show fan rpm. They have a fan controller built into it too just doesn't work well with our systems....

The only difference between our systems (t5810) is you have 2 CPU fans. They all ramp together. Set it down some if it's too loud for you. But don't leave it at 0. It's possible that 10 percent will be effective. Seeing it didn't get above 70 on stress. And don't quote me but cpuz may show fan rpm. They have a fan controller built into it too just doesn't work well with our systems....
yeah, went with 20, see how it goes.

really curious about the fan speed for all fans.
i was expecting the fan for the 80+ degrees fan to run faster.

that is what should happen, right?

i mean, 82 degrees... should the fan not start running faster?
when the other one is 20 degrees lower?..

or it does not go faster cause "save the planet" stuff?

John Stewart

Hi, I need to buy a new PC for video editing. Just made 300k followers so going to splurge a little lol. Not real hi end, no 3D 4k, just cutting vids for Twitter. Still I want to go a little above a normal PC for 2 reasons. 1st I am stressing the machine and it's a higher end PC. 2nd the bloatware, and God does it slow the machine down. I've managed to get rid of a lot of it but lots of crap is still there slowing me up.

So I'm thinking a lower end workstation running 11 pro small business should do the trick on both accts. I know, never underestimate the power of MS slipping in spam but not a guru at this so kinda stuck with it. So I do a little research thinking video card is going to be the biggest need so should start there and came up with this.

NVIDIA® RTX™ A4000, 16 GB GDDR6, 4 DP [490-BHFV] / G6U2RZ0

It's touted as targeted towards video editing so seems a natural. But what to put with it? Last thing I want to do is find out after the fact that video card is doing me little good as the processor, mother board or what have you can't keep up. I can afford this but I can't afford it twice lol. Sooooooooo I build a system that fits my budget for reference and go the friendly and knowledgeable people at Dell at their business chat and ask him if this all makes sense, see any red flags? Well to make it short this guy has to go ask someone for answers to basic questions that even I know. So I don't put much of any faith in him, which is why I'm here.

So anyone have a couple minutes to help out a knob? Here's the complete workup. See anything I'm going to be sorry about later? Thank you in advance, I really do appreciate it.

Processor Intel® Xeon® Silver 4210R (13.75 MB cache, 10 cores, 20 threads, 2.40 GHz to 3.20 GHz Turbo, 100 W) [338-BWTB][575-BBPB] / GCMPZR3 1
Operating System Windows 11 Pro for Workstations (6 cores plus), English, French, Spanish [619-AQLO] / GIX8RS3 1
Chassis Options Precision 7920 Tower Chassis (BC_PCIe) CL FMX [321-BGVK] / GE2R5JQ 1
Graphics Card NVIDIA® RTX™ A4000, 16 GB GDDR6, 4 DP [490-BHFV] / G6U2RZ0 1
Memoryi 64 GB, 8 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2933 MHz, ECC [370-AESI] / G7WF3Q8 1
Thermal Cooling Single Processor Air Heatpipe [412-AALD] / SHEATSK 1
Systems Management No Out-of-Band Systems Management [631-ABML] / NOVPRO 1
Operating System (Boot) Drive Intel NVMe PCIe SSD (Front PCIe FlexBay) [414-BBBV] / FFPCIE 1
Storage Drive Controllers Intel Integrated controller (RST-e) with 1-2 Front FlexBay NVMe Drives [321-BDFD][321-BDFE] / I12NVME 1
Hard Drive 1 TB, M.2, PCIe NVMe, SSD, Class 40 [400-AVDDR][401-ABJR] / 1TC40ME 1
2nd Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
3rd Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
4th Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
Additional Storage No Additional Storage [400-AVDX] / NOADSTO 1
5th Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
6th Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
7th Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
8th Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
Optical Drive No Optical [429-ABER] / NOODD 1
Slimline Bay Options Slim filler panel (no opt.) [429-ABEL] / NOSLODD 1
Optical Software No Optical Software [817-BBBC] / NOSWODD 1
9th Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
10th Storage Drive No Hard Drive [400-AKZR] / NOHDD 1
RAID for HDD/SSD & Front PCIe NVMe SSDs No RAID [780-BBCJ] / NORAID 1
Dell Ultra-Speed Drives (PCIe SSDs) None
2nd Dell Ultra-Speed Drive None
RAID Configurations for Dell Ultra-Speed Drives None
Lockable HDD/SSD Sleds None
Storage Volume Boot drive or boot volume is greater than 2 TB (select when 3TB/4TB HDD is ordered) [411-XXYB] / GPT3TB 1
Keyboard No Keyboard [580-ABIS] / NKB 1
Mouse No Mouse [570-AADK] / NMSE 1
Teradici Remote Workstation Access Host Card No Remote Access Host Card [340-ADBJ] / NHSTCRD 1
Network Cards No Add-In Network Card (Integrated NIC only) [555-BBJO] / NONIC 1
Wirelessi Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 (802.11ac) 2x2 + Bluetooth module [555-BEVZ][555-BEWB] / GKV5JT8 1
PCIe I/O Cards Not Selected in this Configuration [817-BBBC] / NOTHB 1
Serial Port/PS2 Adapter None
Power Cords US Power Cord [470-AATC] / PCUS 1
Resource DVD Resource DVD not Included [430-XXYU] / NORDVD 1
ENERGY STAR Not ENERGY STAR Qualified [387-BBBE] / NOESTAR 1
Optimizer Dell Optimizer for Precision with AI [640-BBSC] / GFZ02NK 1
Driver Firmware and Driver for Intel 8265 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth module [555-BEVY] / GS6J92E 1
Canada Ship Options Non-Canada orders only [332-1286] / USNONE 1
TPM Security TPM [329-BBJL] / TPM 1
Windows AutoPilot No AutoPilot [340-CKSZ] / GYEO2AP 1
Warranty And Services
Option Selection SKU / Product Code Quantity
Protect your purchasei - View Support offers below 5 Years ProSupport Plus with Next Business Day Onsite Service [997-5852][997-5903][997-5930][997-5956][997-5967] / PPN5 1
Accidental Damage Service None
Client Installation Services None
Security Month Offer
Microsoft Office No Microsoft Office License Included - 30 day Trial Offer Only [658-BCSB] / 16MUI 1
Security Software McAfee® Small Business Security 36-month subscription [525-0015] / MSBC36M 1
PDF Solutions None
Software
Dell Endpoint Security None
Teradici Remote Access Solutions None

yeah, went with 20, see how it goes.

really curious about the fan speed for all fans.
i was expecting the fan for the 80+ degrees fan to run faster.

that is what should happen, right?

i mean, 82 degrees... should the fan not start running faster?
when the other one is 20 degrees lower?..

or it does not go faster cause "save the planet" stuff?

Told you the fan curve sucks. It's all about being "silent" keep the fans basically idle until it's really hot then ramp them up. Can't modify the fan curve only set the minimum on it...which helps.

Hi, I need to buy a new PC for video editing. Just made 300k followers so going to splurge a little lol. Not real hi end, no 3D 4k, just cutting vids for Twitter. Still I want to go a little above a normal PC for 2 reasons. 1st I am stressing the machine and it's a higher end PC. 2nd the bloatware, and God does it slow the machine down. I've managed to get rid of a lot of it but lots of crap is still there slowing me up.

So I'm thinking a lower end workstation running 11 pro small business should do the trick on both accts. I know, never underestimate the power of MS slipping in spam but not a guru at this so kinda stuck with it. So I do a little research thinking video card is going to be the biggest need so should start there and came up with this.

Going with a new Dell is great for stuff like having support and warranty. You didn't post a price but I know that a 7920 optioned...at all is expensive. You can save alot and maybe get some more upgrading a used system or building it yourself. Ultimately a 10 core xeon that big GPU and 64gb of ram would work great for editing videos. I put together a Dell for a photographer a couple of years ago. What I did for that was separate boot and editing drives. They both can be nvme or boot can be sata SSD and editing on nvme. For the price difference I'd do nvme both. 64gb is plenty of memory. I also did 2 big hdds in a mirrored windows storage space to save finished files. What I found in all this was that the video editing software was the bottleneck not PC. I struggled to get his software use the CPU cores and GPU to their full potential. I'd suggest looking at your software and how it's using your current configuration as is. Make sure you find a hardware bottleneck. If your not crushing something in your PC trying to edit then you need to investigate different software before spending thousands on a new PC setup.

If at all curious I like to have a separate boot drive for any build of importance. Windows can tank any time and with a fast system you can do a fresh install in no time without losing files on another drive. Nvme for editing for fast as possible storage to load sd card files onto and edit. Finished files onto a mirrored array to keep them safe until you do what you need to do with them. I use storage spaces for mirrored setups because the drives can be put into any windows machine and the mirrored array shows up and works just fine unlike some different software and hardware raid designs. Hope this helps.