• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Founders Edition

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.7.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c 5800X3D https://valid.x86.fr/b7d
So just opinion.

Right.

I build about 6 pc a month, whatever THEY want, and they are half n half AMD , Nvidia.

With no issues because I'm a pro.
I found his example pretty funny because how do you know he isn't selling PCs to complete noobs.

Its like trying to use reddit post for examples most of those are PEBKAC issues.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600 PBO 4.6GHz
Motherboard Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Turbo
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro+
Storage Patriot Viper VPN110 500GB + XPG Gammix S11 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MP48HQ-P
Case Lancool II Mesh Performance
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 + Edifier R1600T
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech G403 Hero Gaming
Keyboard Patriot Viper V765
this is not a good reason to support piracy. If I cannot afford buying a Ferrari, I don't stole one just because I like to drive it.
Moronic comparison. Regional prices existed for a reason. Imagine comparing videogames to a ferrari.

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
There's nothing RDNA2 or 3 don't run, honestly you're pulling this quite a bit out of proportion.

Agree on a slightly lower driver TLC regime at AMD, but there's nothing game breaking in there right now. Just situational performance hits and frankly they happen on Nvidia too.
never said anything about something Radeon don't run.
I'm speaking about driver issues, to sometimes leads to complete Windows re-installation. This is frankly a waste of my time, especially because I couldn't identify any specific user related misbehaviour. So I prefer stop using AMD cards, because an angry customer is not something you want.
And it is quite annoying, because in some classes Radeons were an easy choice (especially RX 6650XT and 6700XT)

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
this is not a good reason to support piracy. If I cannot afford buying a Ferrari, I don't stole one just because I like to drive it.
Terrible comparison, if I download a pirated ferrari the ferrari dealer does not lose a ferrari.
I'm speaking about driver issues, to sometimes leads to complete Windows re-installation. This is frankly a waste of my time, especially because I couldn't identify any specific user related misbehaviour. So I prefer stop using AMD cards, because an angry customer is not something you want.
And it is quite annoying, because in some classes Radeons were an easy choice (especially RX 6650XT and 6700XT)
How are you having this many issues? I've had a RX 480, two vega 64s, and now a 6800xt, and the only time I had mystery issues that couldnt be fixed was when the vegas decided to eat their own PCBs.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
I partially agree with you, dont you think that they make more than enough money anyway? Only a small percent (compared with what it used to be) are downloading cracked games now and a big part of them are people that cannot afford to buy those games so they would not have bought them anyway. Many of the games have online features now (that dont work in the cracked versions) and some of the people that are playing the cracked game get hooked with it and they will buy it for the online features even if they didn't intend to buy it in the first place.
Nope. I was a software developer, and I still know some. Some "big guys" are earning good money, but behind them there is a large part of minor developers no so good paid, and still working hard. A game production is a very long and expensive process, today.
Piracy is not a solution.

I'm speaking about driver issues, to sometimes leads to complete Windows re-installation.
Strange. This is my first AMD/ATI (whatever) card in years. Haven't noticed a single issue in about 5 months. Transition was pretty seamless, actually. (Shrugs)

I remember someone was comparing his computer to a Bugatti because he spent top dollar on computer parts, never mind they would be outclassed a year later by cheaper products...It was a strange comparison to me. I'm rambling though.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
Nope. I was a software developer, and I still know some. Some "big guys" are earning good money, but behind them there is a large part of minor developers no so good paid, and still working hard. A game production is a very long and expensive process, today.
So, the current industry constantly underpays its own workers, despite record profits, and your solution to this is to continue paying bloated prices for poorly made garbage?

Man I dont know how those neurons are connected.
Strange. This is my first AMD/ATI (whatever) card in years. Haven't noticed a single issue in about 5 months. Transition was pretty seamless, actually. (Shrugs)

I remember someone was comparing his computer to a Bugatti because he spent top dollar on computer parts, never mind they would be outclassed a year later by cheaper products...It was a strange comparison to me. I'm rambling though.
The only issue I had was moving from the november 2022 driver to the march 2023 driver that was hosing windows installs. Serves me right for doing a factory reset...

Mouse Razer Basilisk
So, the current industry constantly underpays its own workers, despite record profits, and your solution to this is to continue paying bloated prices for poorly made garbage?
usual reply from pirates: I'm not paying because games are poorly made. If they are poorly made, then just don't download it.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
usual reply from pirates: I'm not paying because games are poorly made. If they are poorly made, then just don't download it.
OR, I could download them, since it makes 0 difference if I am not going to pay for it anyway.

izy

The devs wont get more money if the piracy was less , the extra money will go only to the big boys pocket and as i was saying many people will buy the games after they played the cracked version for the online features and many of the others that are only playing the cracked version and not going to buy it after they were not going to purchase the game anyway, i think there are more people (maybe) that are going to buy the games after they played the cracked (if it has some sort of online stuff) than the ones that were going to buy it if the cracked version wasnt an option, many of cracked games can act as free commercials.

Edit: I know a thread from an online tracker where people were talking about the F1 games , they were speculating that F1 22 was intentional left as easy to crack by EA (F1 21 wasnt possible as far as i know) so they can get more people hooked and many of the people there were saying that after playing it (cracked version) they actually bought the game so they can play online.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
All I see and smell here is PEBCAK, you're describing a pretty away from the norm experience, and it seems to serve your narrative more than anything else.

Issues are known and documented but OS reinstall for a GPU is a first for me, honestly. If you do your process of (de-)installation properly, that is just not a thing. Its not 1995. What is a known quantity among users is however that they treat Windows like they did Win95 or XP, dropping all sorts of silly tweaks on it that kill stability, in a futile effort to make it do what they think is right. That goes from a 0MB page file enforcement to various 'remove services' things that all work brilliantly to kill regular stuff working in regular ways.

That's typical of PEBCAK issues, including the permanent state of the denial of that cause. It also doesn't remove the fact that AMD GPU installation might be a bit more stringent and less fool proof than nvidia's installers, I can even see that point, but you're supposed to RTFM in the end. The vast majority has no issues just doing that, and if they did, they'd be bugs that get rapid fixes, because they're clearly blocking issues.

What's worked best for me is a 4 year plan with 2 systems

2 years at 4k and 2 years at 1440p

I sell the gpu from the 1440p system when the 4k systems gpu gets replaced every 2 years ish...

Prior to 4k really being a thing I did 1440p to 1080p but same gameplan.

This has served me pretty well for the last decade but I know for most it's probably unrealistic.
Yep, multi system approach is great no matter the perf level you're gunning for on either one, you can push faster parts to the slower rig over time and keep both up to date very cost effectively.

If I start noticing the 7900XT runs into CPU constraints, my 8700K is likely going on a cheap second hand ITX board in a much smaller case to work as HTPC. That'll retire my 3570k which is under the TV right now, still pushing all content through browser/apps today without any effort lol. That'll be the moment the gaming rig gets a 5800X3D or newer.

Last edited:
Mouse Razer Basilisk
All I see and smell here is PEBCAK, you're describing a pretty away from the norm experience, and it seems to serve your narrative more than anything else.

Issues are known and documented but OS reinstall for a GPU is a first, honestly. If you do your process of (de-)installation properly, that is just not a thing. Its not 1995. What is a known quantity among users is however that they treat Windows like they did Win95 or XP, dropping all sorts of silly tweaks on it that kill stability, in a futile effort to make it do what they think is right. That goes from a 0MB page file enforcement to various 'remove services' things that all work brilliantly to kill regular stuff working in regular ways.

That's typical of PEBCAK issues, including the permanent state of the denial of that cause. It also doesn't remove the fact that AMD GPU installation might be a bit more stringent and less fool proof than nvidia's installers, I can even see that point, but you're supposed to RTFM in the end. The vast majority has no issues just doing that, and if they did, they'd be bugs that get rapid fixes, because they're clearly blocking issues.
news about Amd drivers corrupting Windows installation were litterally everywhere a few weeks ago.

AMD drivers are bricking Windows 11 systems...again | TechRadar

Radeon Driver Bug Corrupts Windows, AMD Shares Fix | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

But as I said since the beginning, it was totally expected by AMD fanbase.
They storm every thread, fighting their Holy War against the Green Enemy.
I know the "never happened to me" narrative.

All of you (the usual names...) totally derailed the thread, speaking of irrelevant Radeon on a thread about RTX 4070.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
news about Amd drivers corrupting Windows installation were litterally everywhere a few weeks ago.

All of you (the usual names...) totally derailed the thread, speaking of irrelevant Radeon on a thread about RTX 4070.
Its called making a comparison.

As for that corruption:

"We have reproduced an issue that can occur in an extremely small number of instances if a PC update occurs during the installation of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition, and we are actively investigating. We recommend users ensure all system updates are applied or paused before installing the driver, and that the "Factory Reset" option is unchecked during the AMD driver installation process.

Gosh, if you interrupt an install process with another update, it might crash. Wasn't that the basic disclaimer EVERY installer presents to you before it starts? Storm in teacup much? Could it be better, sure. This is pretty much on the level of 'X3Ds can die if you push 1.55V over them' we had recently. Yes, its true. Its also pretty irrelevant.

But you, as an advanced user suffering these issues like you say you do... mind blown! You even go all religious on this supposed holy war of yours. Boy oh boy. Do you also update GPU bios for your customers? Seems about right, no? The whole YT community does it after all :D

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Its called making a comparison.

As for that corruption:

"We have reproduced an issue that can occur in an extremely small number of instances if a PC update occurs during the installation of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition, and we are actively investigating. We recommend users ensure all system updates are applied or paused before installing the driver, and that the "Factory Reset" option is unchecked during the AMD driver installation process.

Gosh, if you interrupt an install process with another update, it might crash. Wasn't that the basic disclaimer EVERY installer presents to you before it starts? Storm in teacup much? Could it be better, sure. This is pretty much on the level of 'X3Ds can die if you push 1.55V over them' we had recently. Yes, its true. Its also pretty irrelevant.

But you, as an advanced user suffering these issues like you say you do... mind blown!

Honestly it makes me a little happy that fanboys on both sides of this made up holy war over two companies that don't give two shits about them hate me lol.

Otherwise they provide a good laugh if nothing else....

Yep, multi system approach is great no matter the perf level you're gunning for on either one, you can push faster parts to the slower rig over time and keep both up to date very cost effectively.

If I start noticing the 7900XT runs into CPU constraints, my 8700K is likely going on a cheap second hand ITX board in a much smaller case to work as HTPC. That'll retire my 3570k which is under the TV right now, still pushing all content through browser/apps today without any effort lol. That'll be the moment the gaming rig gets a 5800X3D or newer.

Even though these companies are trying to make it as hard as possible to continue to do this it's still a lot easier to justify upgrades when two systems are improving every time.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Except it will pass the 6800XT market share in a matter of WEEKS, literally…

Why AMD users are always like that ?
Who would choose a 6800XT over a 4070 ?
And there you were page one in defense mode with the AMD user's shit, starting it.

jumping on someone's opinion, and starting this off?

AMD drivers are bricking Windows 11 systems...again | TechRadar

Radeon Driver Bug Corrupts Windows, AMD Shares Fix | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

I know the "never happened to me" narrative.

Holy war bro, you enlisted page1, some of us got fed up of your nonesense MUCH later and couldn't take it anymore so had to reply, like now, nonsense, totally..

and YOU mentioned AMD more than ANYONE ELSE in this thread, I checked, and you are obsessed.

That specific driver issue KEEPS getting you then, didn't me but then I KNOW don't update the GPU driver while Windows is updating, which caused that, not right, not good but you shouldn't be affected if doing it right.

ps stop doing it the digital foundrie way :p if you want lessons I charge 50£ an hr, but you will learn how to spec and build PC without issues at least.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
And there you were page one in defense mode with the AMD user's shit, starting it.

jumping on someone's opinion, and starting this off?
you are being deceitful as usual: my post was in reply to one of the 10-or-so posts (on the first 20 !!!) speaking about Radeon in first page

1681409310420.png
1681409349495.png
1681409372938.png
1681409407838.png
1681409497163.png

By the way, it's my fault. I should have avoid replying to the notorious AMD defending team on the forum.
This thread is about RTX 4070, for good or bad it is.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
people need to stop comparing power efficiency when they're different nodes.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
then you are going to stop comparing card at all, since production nodes are almost always different, generation after generation.
To me the fact of 3080 performance at 100+ W less power is a good point anyway.

you should stop downloading cracked games beacuse:
a) it's the reason PC gaming is slowly dying
b) people working on those games need to be paid
c) it's illegal

interesting indeed, as it is a demonstration on how the user base of this forum is not a good representation about the real world scenario... In a few months the 4070 will sell more than all the Radeon included in that list, aggregated.
Oh no a Republican all of a sudden

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You realize that RDNA3 is entirely on different nodes even in the same product? ;)

you are being deceitful as usual: my post was in reply to one of the 10-or-so posts (on the first 20 !!!) speaking about Radeon in first page

View attachment 291425
View attachment 291426
View attachment 291427
View attachment 291428
View attachment 291429

By the way, it's my fault. I should have avoid replying to the notorious AMD defending team on the forum.
1681410589228.png

And on that bombshell, I salute you. This discussion has run its course. So indeed let's talk about that 4070 some more, there are many aspects of it that suck.

then you are going to stop comparing card at all, since production nodes are almost always different, generation after generation.
And points that are indeed good. Ada's efficiency is stellar.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

View attachment 291425
View attachment 291426
View attachment 291427
View attachment 291428
View attachment 291429

what was

This

"And there you were page one in defense mode with the AMD user's shit, starting it.

jumping on someone's opinion, and starting this off?"

Have a look did you let that bone go, no.

as for keeping the, us v them going, again before I replied.
generally speaking, I think it’s quite difficult to speak about “street price” since it could be quite different worldwide.
I’m not saying you’re wrong. It’s just a grey area.

You AMD fans are fantastic … :D
Everything puts AMD under a bad light must be wrong.

Though due to your Nvidia defensiveness, i will admit to getting this and other 4070 threads mixed up, should we look at some of those coments, some were v funny.

Then you can't even compare the 3080 to the 4070, since Ada is on a different node than Ampere.
I honestly don't see how power consumption is such a concern when spending $600+ on a graphics card, especially when you're getting less of an upgrade compared to previous x70 tier cards.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
Then you can't even compare the 3080 to the 4070, since Ada is on a different node than Ampere.
I honestly don't see how power consumption is such a concern when spending $600+ on a graphics card, especially when you're getting less of an upgrade compared to previous x70 tier cards.
Do you remember the planet ? That place where we live on ? Power consumption is not only a bill problem…

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Do you remember the planet ? That place where we live on ? Power consumption is not only a bill problem…
Just take 0,5C off your normal thermostat setting and run the PC 24/7 on a game problem solved.

Power consumption is mainly a heat problem in PCs, heat that needs to move out of the case primarily. Cost is a minor factor. But overall usage of a PC certainly is not, relative to your house's annual power bill.

But weren't we going to talk about 4070's? It's a mere 200W card, so the planet will be fine!