• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@robot zombie I think asking if the new gamers can be harder is wrong way to look at it. Honestly, always found all the Pokemon games to be boring, and I never understood the cult that surrounds it, other than some of the Poke's are really cute I have to admit.

But the combat, yeah it never interested me really, it felt like you would need a dictionary alt-tabbed at all times to see which is the best counter to which mean, thats just boring to me.

I beat three fighter jet/ww2 flying games in last few weeks, most fun I have had in awhile.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
@robot zombie I think asking if the new gamers can be harder is wrong way to look at it. Honestly, always found all the Pokemon games to be boring, and I never understood the cult that surrounds it, other than some of the Poke's are really cute I have to admit.

But the combat, yeah it never interested me really, it felt like you would need a dictionary alt-tabbed at all times to see which is the best counter to which mean, thats just boring to me.
I think that's fair, and yes... that is very much how it is lol. There are several huge wikis to use for references... all of them necessary.

Smart move on Game Freak's part... sellin mad strategy guides. Bet.

It takes a while of playing and reading before you really begin to internalize it all in a way that really brings it together. But when you start finding yourself in these sort of highly specialized strategy niches, pulling major advantages from obscure connections and aligning stars (calculated risks you take, knowing the probabilities for different things,) it's a satisfying accomplishment. It really goes beyond type matching and physical/special. There are hidden stats, natures, EVs... stat gain on level-ups in itself can be pretty complicated. That's a whole ass spreadsheet game in itself. Legit... unless you want to memorize those formulae and do a lot of mental math. You work out a path to breeding a pokemon exactly right and then spend hours to days getting it to its final form, depending on the specifics of the catching and breeding (breeding a certain pokemon requires parents with certain traits... and not just one or two simple things you can just know off of the bat. They'll throw you weird shit like needing to have one parent hold a certain item. Other times a pokemon is born with a unique item that can only be gotten by again, picking the right parents and praying a little.) There are lots of hold items that come into play in different ways, to be used in movesets that are built around using certain battle strategies that play to specific strengths that pokemon has in stats and movepool. You gotta dig into the movepools. There are hundreds that can be taught externally, others can only be learned if you raise one from a baby form that you only get from breeding the right way. Same thing happens with passive abilities (most pokemon have at least two, others have more that require different game-mechanic 'keys' to get.) Many pokemon have moves that can be 'remembered' with the help of a 'move rememberer' and they include special moves that it couldn't learn any other way and could change how you use that pokemon, and it may even be that only one stage in their evolution can even learn it. How do you learn that?! Ya study lmao. There are plenty of things I still don't understand, quite a lot is possible... very elaborate.

I don't necessarily care if they ever really make it harder. It's a game for everyone - so it can't be too hard. It would however be nice to have some kind of "hardcore" mode that much more heavily tests the player's understanding of the mechanics. The franchise has a big competitive scene, plenty of serious players to carry a feature like that. It's just like... why is so much of this here if the guardrails never even come down to really have a reason to delve that far? Just to drive the competitive scene? Even if that is true, it doesn't make sense to me. If the game had the ability to be more difficult, would it not bring in more people who would later enjoy the competitive side, after truly mastering the mechanics through the tests the game gives. As it stands now, you can rip through any of these games a dozen times and barely be aware of half of the mechanics that can come into play, because it never challenges you to really learn them. It shows them to you, and then they vanish from your awareness forever because just matching types with decently leveled pokemon is usually enough.

I don't know. I'm with you on the cult fanbase. My connection to pokemon is pretty much just the games at this point. I can get the appeal, though. Personally it was a huge part of my childhood. I came in at the very start of the first wave at just the right age. It was huge in school, too. We were all doing pokemon everything. That is the game that will take me back to being 8 again, easily. I think it's a bit like that for many people. I will always have a major soft spot for the aesthetic. For all of my obsessive tendencies, I don't seem to have that fan gene. Pokemon definitely can't hold my attention indefinitely. If much could to begin with, it'd still be lower on that list. I eventually criticize the things I love the most harshly, anyway. The closer I get, the more I see the flaws.

I can tell you the itch it scratches with me. It's like finding hidden areas in a classic Metroid level... but for RPG strategy. You thread that needle. You just found the craziest secret area in Super Mario World. It feeds that mindset that looks to find the tiniest gaps in the armor. Pokemon's mechanics are to armor what puzzle locks are to functional locks. It's set to pick away at, find the tricks. If you're the type of person who likes to break down a game's mechanics, it has a ton of interesting, offbeat stuff going on. Boring to many, but when I get a good hyperfocus, it can be very engrossing. I like that there's a lot to string together - and that it can be kind of weird and obscure. The only thing that touches it for me would be like... a good Final Fantasy game on SNES. Those are also pretty gnarly when it comes to the level of sheer in-depth tomfoolery with gear, mechanics, stats, what have you. It was the bulk of what they had to work with in those days, so they went all in. I don't wanna think about what it takes to put together in the first place. You might as well print some FAQs before you shove off - you're gonna have some projects when it comes to everything to do with your party. Those games do give you incentive to delve though. The time you put into mastering your understanding of the various systems pays off hugely, in a million different ways.

Last edited:
System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
Sea of Thieves but my, my, my these servers take ages to connect.

Processor AMD R7 1700X @ 4100Mhz
Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR MAX (MS-7B89)
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory Crucial Technology 16GB DR (DDR4-3600) - C9BLM:045M:E BL16G36C16U4W.M16FE1 X2 @ CL14
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR 8GB @ 1408Mhz (AMD Auto OC)
Storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG271 1080p @ 81Hz
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex II 750W 80+ Gold
Keyboard Redragon Devarajas RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/mvvj3a
Witcher 3 - Hunting some witches if you know what I mean. :laugh:

Lynx 6.jpg

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
If I play my cards right, in a few years this could be me

ME.jpg

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
Glad I picked up a Marill in Pokemon Platinum. This game doesn't have a lot of water types. You can get Buizel early with great speed and attack, but the moves aren't that great. Azumarill is kind of underappreciated but it looks like it's pretty much as good as it was in the last games. So it's secretly a beast.

It's stats don't look impressive at first. It's got what look like mid-level tank stats, with high defenses but rather lacking attack stats and boosted HP. They usually come with the ability thick fat which will give a 50% defense boost against ice and fire, two types it already has natural resistance to. Useful if you want to... torment AI's who have fire or much rarer ice type moves, I guess. It just isn't that useful.

But if you look around for a bit, you can catch one with the rarer huge power ability, which renders the attack stat double of what is shown. So now, Azumarill's kinda sad base 50 attack stat is actually 100. To put that into perspective, a friggin Moltres has the same physical attack stat in this game. It's legendary-level.

So, with that ability, it is massively powerful as a physical attacker, with solid phys/spec defense and chonkin HP. It also knows the move rollout when you catch it as a Marill. Basically, it's a physical rock-type attack that binds your pokemon to only use that attack for up to 5 turns (or until it misses,) with the power doubling after each hit. You can't do anything until the cycle is broken. The first hit is 30, the next is 60, then 120, then 240, and then finally 480. Even 120 base damage is very high. I don't know if many other moves cross that in base damage, most moves that powerful have poor accuracy and you only get 5 goes with them total. Rollout gets 20 goes at landing streaks of 5 rolls. You have an absurd amount of damage tucked away in that move. It will do almost 1000 base damage across 5 turns. That's stupid high when a standard attack does 60-80 per one-turn use.

I can additionally go back and have it remember defense curl, a level 2 move that it would normally have forgotten by the time you catch it at level 20. That move usually only increases defense by a stage, but when used before rollout, it DOUBLES the base damage. So you start at 60. The 5th roll hits for 960 damage. Almost ONE THOUSAND base damage on a single turn in a game where an attack over ONE HUNDRED is already high! I mean, the 3rd one already hits for 240 at that point, which is dropping most really strong pokemon in the main game when you add in the legendary attack stat on the other end of the equation.

You can also slap-on a zoom lens to deal with the 90% accuracy, keep it from missing in the middle of sequence. Or you can play it slightly riskier and use a razor claw to instead up the critical hit chance for the odd mega roll.

I'm using this to roll through trainers with big teams. Literally rolling through them. I kinda don't worry much about what comes out next. By stage 2 or 3, typing and stuff kinda starts to matter a lot less. Rock doesn't have a type that it has zero effect on. And even halved by a resistance, it's still endgame level base damage and well beyond by the next hit. Nothing is surviving the next turn, when it hits for double that. Azumarill is a tank that can take a hit or two, so it will stay in the fight to land that. You could also consider that the huge power's base doubling offsets the resistances half-reduction. Add defense curl boosting and we are back at full huge power levels.

The downside is that Azumarill is kinda gimped as a water type by these stats. The most common strong water moves are special, not physical. The HM move Surf is a killer water attack that hits everything not levitating for a high base of 95 water damage, but it does rely on Azumarills weaker special. He learns a base 90 physical water move at level 47. Too bad, as you get the ability to teach surf no matter what, just as part of progressing. It's one the best water moves ever. Surf will still be great here, just not amazing. In the meantime, I have to think about how I want to pad out the typing. Get a fighting or ground move in there. Maybe even ice. It comes down to what I can get as a physical move.

This is what I like about these games. There are a whole lot of different ways to kick ass in different situations. Every pokemon has different, specialized strengths and weaknesses that all come together in your choice of ways. This is just one of many many ways to go.

Hell, this strategy sounds OP, but there's plenty in the game to break a rollout loop. Some pokemon have moves that break it by blocking all incoming attacks for a turn, with moves like detect or protect. They could throw a substitution that eats all of the damage before breaking. They could use minimize or double team to up evasion, or use one of the many accuracy dropping moves, either of which can make rollout pretty much unusable. They could use an attack move that induces flinching. A move like roar forces your opponent to switch pokemon. There's always fly and dig, too.

This is what I mean though. I know the game can beat me on this, it just won't try. :/

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
The downside is that Azumarill is kinda gimped as a water type by these stats. The most common strong water moves are special, not physical. The HM move Surf is a killer water attack that hits everything not levitating for a high base of 95 water damage, but it does rely on Azumarills weaker special. He learns a base 90 physical water move at level 47. Too bad, as you get the ability to teach surf no matter what, just as part of progressing. It's one the best water moves ever. Surf will still be great here, just not amazing. In the meantime, I have to think about how I want to pad out the typing. Get a fighting or ground move in there. Maybe even ice. It comes down to what I can get as a physical move.

You have two options:

1) Max Speed, Max Attack, last EVs into HP. Then use Belly Drum. Item should be a Sitrus Berry. Other moves would be Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Play Rough. Or you can throw in Knock Off (depending on gen).

2) Max Attack and Speed with much of the same move set but has a Choice Band or Life Orb. Or Mystic Water if you're not into taking damage with each attack.

Be sure it has Huge Power for ability for either set.

Another good option if you play Doubles (my preferred) is to use Discharge. You can use that to speed up Electivire, increase special attack for Manectric, or restore HP for Jolteon. You can use Discharge on all three so they're constantly helping each other. Electivire and Manectric get decent move coverage, Electivire can be a physical attacker. Other team options can be Garchomp (immune to electric), Sceptile if they bring back Mega Evolutions, Noivern with Telepathy (has access to Tailwind) or even Gardeivor.

Some Pokemon like Arcanine can have 3+ sets. Arcanine can be a Special Attacker, Physical Attacker or Bulky Support. With the Support set, you have the ability as Intimidate to lower enemy physical attack. Then put Will-O-Wisp on to further lower their physical attack, or lower the opponents switch in Pokemon. Then but Snarl on there to minimize enemy Special Attackers. You can opt for Morning Sun or a damaging move. Extreme Speed can be a good option. Be sure to put left overs on, and EVs in defensive stats.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
You have two options:

1) Max Speed, Max Attack, last EVs into HP. Then use Belly Drum. Item should be a Sitrus Berry. Other moves would be Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Play Rough. Or you can throw in Knock Off (depending on gen).

2) Max Attack and Speed with much of the same move set but has a Choice Band or Life Orb. Or Mystic Water if you're not into taking damage with each attack.

Be sure it has Huge Power for ability for either set.
Good tips, that's where the EVs are going. Of course, belly drum and a healing berry gives a really good boost to damage output. Aqua Jet and Waterfall are probably great with that. Aqua Jet is out though, I'm not breeding another for this playthrough and it's not for competing. I can probably make due without it. Choice band wouldn't be a bad grab for obvious reasons, I might go for it when I get to the frontier.

I'm thinking of it in terms of a 'playthough' pokemon mostly, so it becomes a matter of how deep is worth going before you're just showing off to the game :laugh:

System Name Merc v8| Project DRS
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D|5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX|B550 AORUS ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15|Arctic LFII-360
Memory 2x 16GB-6000|2x16GB-3600
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070 Ti SUPER|RTX 3070 Ventus
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB & 2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB|2x1TB SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU|LG 34GP950G
Case Caselabs Mercury S8|Phanteks G500A
Audio Device(s) Schiit Magni & Modi, Edifier S351DB|DT 770 PRO headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex PX-850|Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker F75|Logitech K400
Software W11Pro
Finally done with Pillars of Eternity, although I haven't done the dlc yet.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
System Name White Shark
Processor 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12gb Asus TUF OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB OS / 860 EVO 500 GB /860 EVO 1TB/ Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 3440x1440p 144hz nano-ips ultrawide
Case Phanteks P500A (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX focus gold 80plus
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core - Tenkeyless
Software W10
I finished GoW and i tried Lost Ark.....
8.6 hours already in, im really liking this game.

Attachments

• ffdf.jpg
    ffdf.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Moondrop Chu II + TRN BT20S
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
I finished GoW and i tried Lost Ark.....
8.6 hours already in, im really liking this game.
22hrs since the delayed launch (for me it launched Saturday morning at ~1am)
started with a small gift
1644823482024.jpeg
9.50chf left on STEAM balances since months : just a few crystal and took the outfit ... i like the design :laugh: also, what's that trickery? a Korean MMOARPG with extensive character customization like we are used to ... but ... no boob slider??? that's criminal!
and even tho it's a 3D iso, the char and the world are so detailed, it's almost on par with BDO when you zoom in ....
Selfie_20220213_Naephie_002.jpg

no P2W madness (rather pay to advance faster for those who despise grinding too much ) non gear dependent PVP (actually almost fun ... unlike usual PVP ... reminiscent of w0w 3v3 arena) absolutely no need to use the cash shop at all (you get a free Pet that do all a premium one do and also unlike Korean version : not a rental one ) and the subscription is rather tame (around 4.50chf a month and not game breaking if not subbing, almost ended my free 3 days i got x) ): Crystaline Aura is the sub , leveling is fast enough story is fun environment and mechanic are deep and well made and i can see why the real game start after lvl 50 (aka endgame)
1644824187937.jpeg1644824216008.jpeg

there is a few grip around like the gender locked classes (not caring ... i played BDO did not complain ... ) male or female class not having same advanced classes (aka Gunslinger has 3 subclass male 1 for female ... but then ... Martial Artist has 3 subclass female 1 for male ... ) but well ... CohhCarnage who did 3 days headstart liked it thus i knew i would like it ... ahah ...
edit: OH! and the "Daisy Duke" on the female Gunslinger (wait ... is this even actually a complaint??? :roll: )

way to go Amazon, you almost redeemed New World fiasco (well they are not the devs, just the publisher... that's probably why ... :laugh: )

Last edited:
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Dihonored Death Of The Outsider.

Originally I thought I'd do Emily non-lethal run in Dishonored 2 > Dishonored DOTO as whatever I want > Dishonored 2 again as Korvo lethal run. But with sudden academic pressure, I'l ditch the plan for Korvo lethal run I guess.

No screenshot because Dishonored as a series imo is a beautifully ugly game. And the game are first person as well.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
When you see a NOLF shortcut on your desktop it's just too tempting.
nolf-american.jpg
I love how the game takes the piss out of the chauvinist males in the game, but doesn't spoil the fun by ramming the feminist issue down our throats, because clearly it doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike today's current social climate.
hl1.jpg
Then I saw a post on a Steam thread asking whether he/she should play Black Mesa before or after HL1, so I fired it up. Still great after all these years.
black-mesa.jpg
So I just had to go back to Black Mesa after not having played it for two years and with the Definitive Edition, they've really polished it up, but I still don't like Xen all that much. Never did, really.
Oh and with the updates, old saves won't work so it's back to the beginning.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
they've really polished it up, but I still don't like Xen all that much. Never did, really.

why not? i really enjoyed their vision for Xen. I loved to reply the all game.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software W11Pro
Flying in VR is so much fun, landing is still a challenge ..aircraft carrier landing :fear:
20220217141404_1_vr.jpg

20220217141418_1_vr.jpg

System Name Star Killer
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASUS RO STRIX Z790-H
Cooling Corsair 360mm H150 LCD Radiator
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5 5600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 12GB Gaming Trio
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 x 1 | 1TB Crucial Gen 4 SSD x 1 | 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 1
Display(s) 32inch ASUS ROG STRIX 1440p 170hz WQHD x 1, 24inch ASUS 165hz 1080p x 1
Case Lian Li O11D White
Audio Device(s) Creative T100 Speakers , Razer Blackshark V2 Pro wireless
Power Supply EVGA 1000watt G6 Gold
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Wireless with dock
Keyboard ASUS ROG AZOTH
Software Windows 11 pro
Sadly I have been consumed by yet another playthrough of Skyrim. Doing an adventurer/schollar role play where I research the dwemer. I am a high elf and have a dwemer follower. Been loads of fun with all the new dwemer mods.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software W11Pro
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
Now lets go on, i play atm No Mans Sky on a free old HD 7770 but there is a big issue and its not the GPU,
its the CPU.

I still have even my worse A10 7870K (Godavari with 4,1 GHz),
BF4 drops to 29 FPS
BF1 not playabe
No Mans Sky with Stock Settings (cause that garbage CPU) and GPU intense at enhanced, 30 FPS on the Planet in the CPU Limit (HD 7770 73%) :laugh:

What a garbage CPU this is, its insane nothing playale with 60 FPS:mad:

Im sure the new Celeron can beat this shhhhh.... cpu :laugh:

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Home sick, waiting on test results. So I'm casually hammering out some more progress in the HZD 100% run.

One thing I will say about it... my approaches to combat just keep evolving and making it more satisfying. I appreciate how free-form it can be, sort of like how most things to do with the open world are in a continuous free-roaming system. It has this consistency in the feel... admittedly only broken up by the menu system, which is as dated to me as it is in games coming out this year. Metro Exodus was the game that I think broke me of the whole "theme park" method of placing waypoints everywhere and tucking so many actions into menus with giant maps and friggin tables... the navigating of which break action and atmosphere immediately. When I'm out in the world, just taking shit in, maybe this incredible score is creeping in.... I'm immersed. I feel like I'm there. And then I realize I need to change weapons... and the moment that menu screen comes up, playing that same looping theme it always plays, that world is gone from my mind. I don't feel that it's 'real' anymore. Every time I've closed the game, it's been after it got left open on the menu screen that finally broke me out.

That's when the seams of the fantasy world just break for me. I liked Metro Exodus's approach where as many things as possible were done in a more hands on and meaningful way, just right in the game with no menus or odd control-scheme swaps. It's all directly important to the gameplay, but the consequences of not keeping up with certain things were generally well balanced and keeping up itself isn't that hard, it's just little stuff put there to drive your immersion and hide the fact that these are just game mechanics away from you. And then, they toss you into these levels with little idea of where to start - a goal with no clue how exactly you should get there, but you can start to figure out what to do by exploring and interacting with things... which you will do by carefully sizing things up, as there's nothing necessarily there on the map that's even going to tell you the difference between a completely empty building and the entrance to a bandit camp. You need to observe your surroundings for that. Very few things are behind menus. And the world itself beckons you to observe it with its beauty and detail.

You *want* to chonk into that world. You don't know what's coming, because the game hasn't told you. And that's exciting. Most open world games I fire up now give me choice-blindness with the amount of shit they immediately give you a full, clear path to doing, with no sense of what is even best or worthwhile, but an added burden of commitment on my part that I may not want to make before exploring. They just leave jack shit to the imagination and it hurts them dearly. It's just a bunch of predetermined paths to walk, and so many open-world games make zero qualms about having the player be fully aware of that at all times. The veneer of alluring stories and locations is meaningless if you let the players see the full lie that is the actual game world right away. You're being told that, and staring down a sprawling map full of what are essentially just a mix of levels and mini games.

To be fair, that's the bulk of what all of these games are. But what I am arguing over is the presentation of those elements. Are we going on a hike down some new, little explored trails? Or is this more like a shopping mall with differently decorated wings and clearly marked storefronts where you make straight a-b purchases? Does that make any sense? I hope so.

A game like RDR2's immersive qualities seem superfluous by comparison to something like Exodus... they're exclusively for atmosphere, they take a lot of time, and many give you little in return other than being able to say you saw Arthur speed-skin a rabbit. While that stuff is cool, it staggers the gameplay loop across stuff that intentionally breaks that sequence and makes you stop to go on whatever little ride they're taking you on. You cannot simply enjoy the world in a game like that. You have to do it their way or barely at all. Something I realized replaying it a couple of times. The veil of all of that is fading by the 3rd playthrough and you realize you are still stuck with it all. The world of RDR2 is kind of dead to me now. I love the characters and the story, but I'll never really 'believe' it like I might've the first time. You know what game surprisingly hasn't done that to me? Friggin FO4. I can still get into that world, and it doesn't ever really try to stop me. Steam says 2269.8 hours of my life are in that world.

It's just a bad mark on an open world. The best ones are deep and emergent enough that you continue to appreciate them more as you play. RDR2 has the depth, but not the freedom for me to be continually immersed. If the seams start jumping out at you early, it's failing at one of it's main jobs, which is to immerse the player in a suitably large and convincing world for many hours of free-roaming gameplay that is rewarding. To me, it should take more than a playthrough or two to know all of the tricks of the world and feel like you don't need to explore it anymore.

HZD doesn't have it as bad there, because it's leaning more into the videogamey aspects to keep player action and agency on top of the whole experience. Most of the things that get simplified facilitate a more seamless gameplay loop, freeing the player to enjoy the environment and story more on their own terms... which to me should be a core tenant of every open world (Do you hear me Rockstar?) But that's another can of worms. HZD doesn't often lock you in. This leaves classic narrative gaps, but with those remaining largely unsolved within the zeitgeist, I'd rather games not try to 'deal' with that unless they've got a good answer, because a lot of the current answers to that narrative dissonance suck no less.

This is definitely one of those games that makes me think a lot about how open world games go together, what the experience is supposed to be and how that gets realized.

Last edited:
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
I still have even my worse A10 7870K (Godavari with 4,1 GHz),
BF4 drops to 29 FPS
BF1 not playabe
No Mans Sky with Stock Settings (cause that garbage CPU) and GPU intense at enhanced, 30 FPS on the Planet in the CPU Limit (HD 7770 73%) :laugh:
And, even Godavari, is supposed to be better than Kaveri. It's the gen right after Kaveri, IIRC. I guess it will be hard to notice the difference between a Kaveri and a Godavari.
My Athlon X4 860K, (Kaveri) would get overwhelmed in Halo MCC, IIRC. Yep, mine was struggling with Halo MCC, too. And of course, the Radeon RX 580, didn't help that much. I could still play GTA V, but the CPU percentage was sky-high, IIRC. I think it would get spanked by my first-gen Core i7! :laugh: (Core i7 Extreme 965, which of course, only has 4 cores/8 threads) (Bloomfield, the gen where you would expect 220W+ for a good OC!) Glad that I got my first Ryzen build on January 3, 2020! My Kaveri got spanked by my Ryzen 3 3200G! (Picasso) (con: limited to PCI-E 3.0 and 8-lanes at max)

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Okay, one thing that constantly KILLS me with Horizon... and it's gotten me a lot today... is the gotdamb aim release on slow mo. Why? It will still cancel your whole charged up shot for a split-second AFTER releasing the firing trigger, if you then release the aiming one. So it goes like this: Hold left trigger to aim, hold right trigger to charge, release right trigger to fire, release left trigger to zoom back out and get full movement. Ideally. In reality, if there isn't enough time between firing and releasing, it won't fire.

My training, in all games that shoot like this is to release the aiming trigger pretty much as close to immediately after you have fired as possible, so you can move and react quicker. But when you go into slow mo in HZD, you CANNOT just let go of the aiming immediately after you fire or it cancels. So many times I will be in mid air, about to get jumped on, but I've got the crosshair on the vital part. In that moment, instinct kicks in and I want to have full motion to escape as quickly as possible after firing - if I miss, I need to roll ASAP. This results in me releasing the aiming trigger 'too soon,' cancelling the shot, and getting me hit instead. Now, my advantage is gone and I will need to regroup. That's a lot of time lost in a fight. Probably HP, too. It's never gonna be the thing to make me lose, but man can it be annoying.

So it ends up feeling like I'm being punished for being like, a few ms too fast with my hands. I've checked. I always release the shooting trigger first, after which point it should fire... irreversibly. If I let go of a bowstring with my finger, I will not be able to stop the arrow from firing anymore, even if I pull the bow down as I do so. But I guess slow mo also means slower input tracking. Which somewhat makes sense. Perhaps that's the way they keep animations synced with input. But wait... why not just let the shooting animation finish before responding to letting off of the aim? You know? Actually take them in order. I don't think I will ever be able to train myself out of that screw-up... and wouldn't want to because the moment I play an actual shooter, having the habit of lingering in sight is death. I can't think of too many games that ever punish you for sighting-out immediately after shooting.